Is Pettersson an elite/superstar forward? Is he up there with McDavid, Matthews etc?

Canuckfanforlife82

4 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

A generational player is basically a player that you see once in a generation. They are players that are a full length above anyone else in the league in their era, players who literally dominate the game. They are few and far between.

So many want to make generational a common  thing

There are lots of elite players that stand out

If there has to be debate on generational talent, then it is because they aren't, and as mentioned above, that generational players are far and few between, and will be heads above their peers 

Would you call McDavid generationl despite that he hasn’t got the success in playoffs? 

I would only call Petey generational if he makes a lot of important decisions in playoffs leading to a cup.

Petey has another level to his abilities wich is visible in playoffs. There he will play with an adrenaline kick and those who saw his(was it first) OT play where he just whoops and we won knows what will happen in playoffs.

Just now, LillStrimma said:

Would you call McDavid generationl despite that he hasn’t got the success in playoffs? 

I would only call Petey generational if he makes a lot of important decisions in playoffs leading to a cup.

Petey has another level to his abilities wich is visible in playoffs. There he will play with an adrenaline kick and those who saw his(was it first) OT play where he just whoops and we won knows what will happen in playoffs.

It takes a team to win a cup and even a generational team doesn't have ALL the best players that are generational

They say the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win, and that is not because of only 1 player on it

If You are taking generational player, then I guess McDavid would have to be that up until now, even his peers say that about him

• Upvote 1

It takes a team to win a cup and even a generational team doesn't have ALL the best players that are generational

They say the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win, and that is not because of only 1 player on it

If You are taking generational player, then I guess McDavid would have to be that up until now, even his peers say that about him

I know too little about him but I know the Canucks have shut him down.

The criticism against Petey is that he doesn’t produce now. 
But if Petey produce in playoffs so that the cup is ours and McDavid only manages to get through one level.

Who is generational? The player that get a smash or the one who really delivers?

I don’t believe Petey got the same oppurtunity within his team as McDavid got. As I said before, Petey would have got a lot more points per season if he was put in Millers position.

19 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Ahh, so you just accept if Petey is beside Hughes and Miller and just produce points while the team suffers? 
So you’re talking about 15 mill to Petey?

Huh??? You seriously think Petey would be worth $15m if he was just focused on offence?  Petey at his absolute best would not be a mcdavid level offensive player.  He's just not as talented.  Nobody in the world is as talented as Mcdavid offensively.  

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Huh??? You seriously think Petey would be worth $15m if he was just focused on offence?  Petey at his absolute best would not be a mcdavid level offensive player.  He's just not as talented.  Nobody in the world is as talented as Mcdavid offensively.  

I got you, you just watch what happens and not what is around what happens.

Ps

Are you the old Boeser account?

Ds

15 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Buddy, Petey has 18 points in 17 playoff games.  Mcdavid has 75 points in 49 playoff games.  Case closed.

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

No one compares to McDavid. 

Pettersson is 2 levels below. There is the Pettersson level then a level above with guys like MacKinnon, Q Hughes, Draisaitl, Makar,  Matthews... then McDavid stands alone at the top

I get what you're saying, but.......

If no one compares to him shouldn't we expect him to be at the top of the scoring leaders/stats? I don't dispute his skill and speed....but he's NOT a level above right now. 

Yes, he's incredible...speed and skill. I'd agree with this awhile ago...but he's not managing to drag his team along and that counts for me. Superstar diva type or ... team players? 

Give Petey a year or two to 'catch up' ...McDavid's got two years in age/experience on Petey. Petey's done some pretty incredible stuff of his own. And his willingness to hit/play d makes him a pretty well rounded player.

(McDavid snivels too much for my liking...prima donna type)

On 12/29/2023 at 9:14 AM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I guess when I say elite, I mean dominant and not dominant the entire game but the ability to be dominant.

I think this is a very good point. I think when a player comes out on top of every interaction with an opponent, whether it's handling the puck, fore checking, back checking or winning puck battles, then he is dominant. The team could still suck but he'd still be dominant. Petey handles the puck better than most and anticipates well in all three zones. If he needs to improve it would be in winning puck battles against much bigger and much closer physical checking. I'm not sure he can do that as he is often double teamed, so I think an alternate approach is to flank him with guys who can grind against the boards and get him the puck. I'd honestly try him with Joshua and Garland for at least a period. Couldn't hurt.

When Petey is hot he plays a superstar. He is probably the best player on the team when at his best and one of the best in the NHL. I've seen a lot of insiders label him as such.  

The issue is consistency.  It has gotten better over the years but it's gonna have the spotlight on it during a contract year. 

Maybe weight is a factor. People are never gonna take him for granted anymore and he's gonna have to be able to battle consistently with the best. 

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What are you even talking about.  Do you honestly think Petey is an equal to mcdavid?? 

When he’s on top of his game yes.

Petey might have a motivation problem with the boring 82 game schedule or injuries.

This is why I say, watch out in playoffs.

15 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

I know too little about him but I know the Canucks have shut him down.

The criticism against Petey is that he doesn’t produce now. 
But if Petey produce in playoffs so that the cup is ours and McDavid only manages to get through one level.

Who is generational? The player that get a smash or the one who really delivers?

I don’t believe Petey got the same oppurtunity within his team as McDavid got. As I said before, Petey would have got a lot more points per season if he was put in Millers position.

EP is not head and shoulders above anyone in the league and none of his peers think he is, so he cannot be considered Generational

Hockey is a Team Sport and it takes a team to win the hardest trophy

Gretzky was Generational, and came close with Kings, but the team wasn't good enough

McD is on a worse team than the Kings were

Like I stated earlier 

A generational player is basically a player that you see once in a generation. They are players that are a full length above anyone else in the league in their era, players who literally dominate the game. They are few and far between.

Teams win Stanley Cups, not individuals

Edited by Ballisticsports

1 minute ago, Ballisticsports said:

EP is not head and shoulders above anyone in the league and none of his peers think he is, so he cannot be considered Generational

Gretzky was Generational, and came close with Kings, but the team wasn't good enough

Like I stated earlier 

A generational player is basically a player that you see once in a generation. They are players that are a full length above anyone else in the league in their era, players who literally dominate the game. They are few and far between.

Yes, McDavid and maybe Bedard is above Petey but I don’t see anyone being above him. Just beside him and who gets more points is more to who they play with and what oppurtunities they get.

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

Petey might have a motivation problem with the boring 82 game schedule or injuries.

Motivation? that's laziness. That's more like Laine. I think it is more of a size and consistency issue. 

Consistency has gotten better over the years but will be highlighted in a contract year.

Nobody is gonna take him for granted anymore so he has to be able to battle physically on a nightly basis. He has to battle through guys constantly bigger than him.

Needs to get stronger/faster IMO

8 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

18 points in 17 games is "look out"?  OK then.

8 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Like I stated earlier 

So why isn't he atop the scoring leaders? Those are individual stats.

4 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Yeah, let it go a few more playoffs more. 
For now it looks like we get playoffs some years forward. 
We can talk after those.

Yup we can.  He's never gonna be McDavid.  I honestly cant believe how biased some Canucks can be.  Mcdavid is the most explosive offensive talent to come along since Mario Lemieux.  So Petey is comparable to Lemieux too I guess.

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I love our Canucks... but man, McDavid is storming up the scoring charts now.  32 points in his last 16 games.  He will probably be top of the heap by end of January.

21 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I cannot say why Deb, as I am not him and I actually don't follow him or his team to know why they are underperforming

Others make excuses for EP as being injured, so why not use that for McD, maybe he is bored and saving energy for the playoffs ?😉

I just did a quick search on him

After joining the Oilers 9 yrs ago as a Rookie, he has been on for 40% of all Oiler goals scored

For how people say he doesn't pay 2 way I just saw his +/- is 117 (those don't count on pp)

Bure was 42

Edited by Ballisticsports

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I love our Canucks... but man, McDavid is storming up the scoring charts now.  32 points in his last 16 games.  He will probably be top of the heap by end of January.

His last 5 games he's got 5 points (like Petey).

He and his team sucked (badly) and they had a nothing to lose desperate and reckless abandon for a bit there. He went on a tear when things loosened up but he wasn't doing much before then. I don't like him, so that's mostly on me. He's good but he's also a diva...can't get behind that whiny entitled crap he pulls.

• Upvote 1

I cannot say why Deb, as I am not him and I actually don't follow him or his team to know why they are underperforming

Others make excuses for EP as being injured, so why not use that for McD, maybe he is bored and saving energy for the playoffs ?😉

I just did a quick search on him

After joining the Oilers 9 yrs ago, he has been on for 40% of all Oiler goals scored

For how people say he doesn't pay 2 way I just saw his +/- is 117 (those don't count on pp)

Bure was 42

You just really highlighted something for me that was part of my point. When Petey struggles...he sucks/isn't elite. Even IF he's possibly working through an injury (which is likely).

But McDavid gets free passes when he and his team suck.

McDavid's the best...can't dispute that and it's silly to try. But I don't like his attitude (at all). And he gets more protection from the refs than I've ever seen (not as much recently as they seem to be on to him). 

And Petey IS 2 years younger and 2years behind him. Sky's the limit. He's a superstar to me and nothing's changing that. I just don't like McDavid so I am biased.

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

His last 5 games he's got 5 points (like Petey).

He and his team sucked (badly) and they had a nothing to lose desperate and reckless abandon for a bit there. He went on a tear when things loosened up but he wasn't doing much before then. I don't like him, so that's mostly on me. He's good but he's also a diva...can't get behind that whiny entitled crap he pulls.

That's fair, but it's hard to deny his offensive ceiling.  153 points is unbelievable.  If I were a betting man, I'd put good money down that McDavid still wins the Art Ross thus year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I like Petey and think he's a really. really good player but I don;t see him as a Mckinnon or a Matthews and certainly not a McDavid (oh that one hurt to I to say). I knida even see him a little behind Hughes (jack). He may still get there needsmore consistency. Just one mans opinion.

• Cheers 1

My point is...let's assess Petey fairly. McDavid's going to be 27 in 2 weeks. He's played 600 NHL games.

Petey? Just turned 25 and has 361 games under his belt. Significantly less...and he's still learning (and is eager to).

Connor's speed and skill can't be denied.....best. But people here undervalue Petey (a great deal). Assess him when he's in a slump (although more than a point per game isn't really terrible).

Petey at his best is up there WITH the best of them. Maybe a different style than McDavid's barreling around the with the puck ... some of his stuff is more intricate and subtle. But people are quick to forget what Petey is capable of.

I like Petey's attitude better and we haven't yet seen his best. I'm convinced of that.

• Upvote 1