Is Pettersson an elite/superstar forward? Is he up there with McDavid, Matthews etc?

Canuckfanforlife82

27 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Motivation? that's laziness. That's more like Laine. I think it is more of a size and consistency issue. 

Consistency has gotten better over the years but will be highlighted in a contract year.

Nobody is gonna take him for granted anymore so he has to be able to battle physically on a nightly basis. He has to battle through guys constantly bigger than him.

Needs to get stronger/faster IMO

Nah, if you feel as you’re own organisation works against you it takes a toll. Too constantly work against a player like Miller is hard. He’s an american and takes whatever he can and Petey is a swede with a team first thinking. It’s a confilct here you NA fans seem hard to grasp. And then it got all this loyalty coming with it. Thats why players like Salming, Öhlund, Foppa is so good at it. But it needs an honesty within the team to work.

That’s why I’m bringing it up with Miller get a lot of freebies Petey isn’t getting.

Put Petey with Hughes instead of Miller you get my drift.

An intelligent player knows this strategic decisions by the coach and sometimes it’s hard to fight back against it.

Petey did a nice job last season when he got those great numbers 5v5. But now he works against an injurie so it will be a lot less. But in a playoff with this injurie he will produce anyway. But why mess with an injurie before playoffs? It’s just stupid. 

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

His last 5 games he's got 5 points (like Petey).

He and his team sucked (badly) and they had a nothing to lose desperate and reckless abandon for a bit there. He went on a tear when things loosened up but he wasn't doing much before then. I don't like him, so that's mostly on me. He's good but he's also a diva...can't get behind that whiny entitled crap he pulls.

Lol, How happy would you be living in Edmonton on a crappy team, where if you don't show up, they don't score?

When I have seen highlights of him he is moving his legs, stick, puck so fast that someone has to put their stick in too late or body 

Being heads above players who have to react when he is already ahead of him I can see a player being frustrated

Players are behind and have to cheat on him to not get burned and probably adds to his whine as you say

(I went to our leagues allstar games as the centre far from the NHL😁, But I know how players cheat to affect your game and it gets frustrating)

I give him the benefit of the doubt being stuck in Edmonton, Knowing if you don't score your team won't make it easier for you, he has had a lot of pressure expectations and eyes on him. I am glad Canada still has the best player in the World and I am sure in events everyone will appreciate him being on our team at that point

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

18 points in 17 games is "look out"?  OK then.

Yeah, whatever is probably the right answer…

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup we can.  He's never gonna be McDavid.  I honestly cant believe how biased some Canucks can be.  Mcdavid is the most explosive offensive talent to come along since Mario Lemieux.  So Petey is comparable to Lemieux too I guess.

When Petey is on top of his game he is. 
Insane hockey IQ skills.

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

My point is...let's assess Petey fairly. McDavid's going to be 27 in 2 weeks. He's played 600 NHL games.

Petey? Just turned 25 and has 361 games under his belt. Significantly less...and he's still learning (and is eager to).

Connor's speed and skill can't be denied.....best. But people here undervalue Petey (a great deal). Assess him when he's in a slump (although more than a point per game isn't really terrible).

Petey at his best is up there WITH the best of them. Maybe a different style than McDavid's barreling around the with the puck ... some of his stuff is more intricate and subtle. But people are quick to forget what Petey is capable of.

I like Petey's attitude better and we haven't yet seen his best. I'm convinced of that.

At 25 years old, McDavid had 5 (almost 6) 100 points seasons under his belt including a 105 point season in 56 games.  I just can't see a world where Petey is anywhere near that.  Peteys absolute best season would likely be 120 points.  Nothing to sneeze at, but mcdavid's 153 point campaign at 26 years old is generational. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, LillStrimma said:

Yeah, whatever is probably the right answer…

When Petey is on top of his game he is. 
Insane hockey IQ skills.

Oh boy, I'm not gonna carry on this conversation with someone wearing the thickest homer glasses I've ever seen.... we are now comparing Petey to Mario Lemieux... oh wow.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ballisticsports said:

Lol, How happy would you be living in Edmonton on a crappy team, where if you don't show up, they don't score?

When I have seen highlights of him he is moving his legs, stick, puck so fast that someone has to put their stick in too late or body 

Being heads above players who have to react when he is already ahead of him I can see a player being frustrated

Players are behind and have to cheat on him to not get burned and probably adds to his whine as you say

(I went to our leagues allstar games as the centre far from the NHL😁, But I know how players cheat to affect your game and it gets frustrating)

I give him the benefit of the doubt being stuck in Edmonton, Knowing if you don't score your team won't make it easier for you, he has had a lot of pressure expectations and eyes on him. I am glad Canada still has the best player in the World and I am sure in events everyone will appreciate him being on our team at that point

I say that Petey with the right team and build up would have produced as much as McDavid but Petey got stucke with the wirst in Benning. Not the best start for a young rookie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

At 25 years old, McDavid had 5 (almost 6) 100 points seasons under his belt including a 105 point season in 56 games.  I just can't see a world where Petey is anywhere near that.  Peteys absolute best season would likely be 120 points.  Nothing to sneeze at, but mcdavid's 153 point campaign at 26 years old is generational. 

Playing with Draisaitl. Matters.

• Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

They actually don't play that much together.  I just can't see a world where Petey is ever gonna be talked about in the same sentence as mcdavid 20 or 30 years from now.  McDavid will likely break 1700+ points in his career.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478402&p2=8477934&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

Sorry, nasty long link lol

But mcdavid and draisatl have played 173 minutes together and 304 minutes apart.

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

My point is...let's assess Petey fairly. McDavid's going to be 27 in 2 weeks. He's played 600 NHL games.

Petey? Just turned 25 and has 361 games under his belt. Significantly less...and he's still learning (and is eager to).

Connor's speed and skill can't be denied.....best. But people here undervalue Petey (a great deal). Assess him when he's in a slump (although more than a point per game isn't really terrible).

Petey at his best is up there WITH the best of them. Maybe a different style than McDavid's barreling around the with the puck ... some of his stuff is more intricate and subtle. But people are quick to forget what Petey is capable of.

I like Petey's attitude better and we haven't yet seen his best. I'm convinced of that.

I Never undervalued EP ?

McD is 2 yrs older as you say

McD came in as a rookie and has dominated his peers since- That is not a shot at EP

The NHL players saying McD is the best player is not a shot at EP either

EP is a good player and glad he plays for us, (but in all honesty Deb if EP only signs a short contract and walks like Tkachuk people will change their attitude on EP at that point like Flames are with Tka)

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

For McDavids whole career with Draisatl? 

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

For McDavids whole career with Draisatl? 

Won't let me pick that many years all at once, but for the last 3 seasons:

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20202021&thruseason=20222023&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2021-01-13&td=2023-04-14&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478402&p2=8477934&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

1104 minutes together.

2469 minutes apart.

4 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I Never undervalued EP ?

McD is 2 yrs older as you say

McD came in as a rookie and has dominated his peers since- That is not a shot at EP

The NHL players saying McD is the best player is not a shot at EP either

EP is a good player and glad he plays for us, (but in all honesty Deb if EP only signs a short contract and walks like Tkachuk people will change their attitude on EP at that point like Flames are with Tka)

Not necessarily you....but many here just remember the recent past. It's a "what have you done for me lately?" deal and that's fair enough. But when Petey gets back to form, I'd hate to NOT have him on our side. He's a big part of our success.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

I say that Petey with the right team and build up would have produced as much as McDavid but Petey got stucke with the wirst in Benning. Not the best start for a young rookie.

The problem with this argument is that the Oil has been one of the few teams constructed worse than the Canucks while McD has been dominating the league offensively. Close to AHL goaltending, defense, and bottom 6 (is bottom 9 a thing?). 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Oilers team before  McD record was 24–44–14 9yrs no playoffs

Oilers office may as well had Benning for the last 40 yrs 😄

34 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

You just really highlighted something for me that was part of my point. When Petey struggles...he sucks/isn't elite. Even IF he's possibly working through an injury (which is likely).

But McDavid gets free passes when he and his team suck.

McDavid's the best...can't dispute that and it's silly to try. But I don't like his attitude (at all). And he gets more protection from the refs than I've ever seen (not as much recently as they seem to be on to him). 

And Petey IS 2 years younger and 2years behind him. Sky's the limit. He's a superstar to me and nothing's changing that. I just don't like McDavid so I am biased.

I too dislike Mcdavid. There are players you hate, but would love to have on your team. Mcd isn't one for me.

But McD gets a slight pass for his body of work, and the fact that even now hardly any one would bet against him getting the Art Ross, which makes me throw up a bit.

• Cheers 1

A poster was arguing with me Pettersson is a top 5 player in the league just.... 6 weeks ago. 

Pettersson is elite, but he doesn't dominate games and score at will like superstars McDavid/Matthews/Kucherov/MacKinnon/Draisaitl. These superstars also never have dry droughts and down years, they are so packed with talent, they basically can generate goals every couple of games. Does Pettersson have dry droughts and down years? Yes. When Pettersson goes on the ice does he make the other team tighten up, afraid that he is going to score? Because McDavid/Matthews/Kucherov/MacKinnon/Draisaitl does. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

I too dislike Mcdavid. There are players you hate, but would love to have on your team. Mcd isn't one for me.

But McD gets a slight pass for his body of work, and the fact that even now hardly any one would bet against him getting the Art Ross, which makes me throw up a bit.

Curious of how you feel about that?

If you were in charge of picking Canada's lineup for Olympics

You honestly would not have put him on your team ever?

I'd vote for elite, Pettersson has flaws for sure, but he a a good skater with a wicked shot (he doesn't use enough) and enough play making chops to rack up top 5 points for his position. Add in his defensive game and he back checks his way to elite status in my books. You can complain about his physical abilities and sometimes awkward play but all things considered a top 5 offensive center who plays a good two way game? I mean come on... what is there truly to complain about. Kids these days!

15 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Oilers team before  McD record was 24–44–14 9yrs no playoffs

Oilers office may as well had Benning for the last 40 yrs 😄

Then he arrived and they still didn't make the playoffs 3 out of the first 4 years with him on board.

I just don't like him. Yes, he's brilliant when he gets a head of steam and rabbit hops around the ice with the puck and no one can stop him. And the refs help him with a clear path where no one can intervene (at least initially...he'd look for calls and ... get them).

But his team has been a bit of a flop and so is "an" individual worthy of worshipping if he can't help his team get there? Maybe he's too selfish?

There's no I in team. Petey's pretty unselfish (too much at times, especially recently). Anyhow, I know my argument's weak and from a homer stance. But I own that. And I'll take Petey any day....I think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg in what he's capable of. And his physicality lately is commendable...because he won't be targeted so much (especially with Zadorov in the line up).

Anyhow...watching the Oilers vs Kings right now. Haven't even noticed the superstar yet....he's invisible so far. We'll see what I'm missing.

31 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Nah, if you feel as you’re own organisation works against you it takes a toll. Too constantly work against a player like Miller is hard. He’s an american and takes whatever he can and Petey is a swede with a team first thinking. It’s a confilct here you NA fans seem hard to grasp. And then it got all this loyalty coming with it. Thats why players like Salming, Öhlund, Foppa is so good at it. But it needs an honesty within the team to work.

That’s why I’m bringing it up with Miller get a lot of freebies Petey isn’t getting.

Put Petey with Hughes instead of Miller you get my drift.

An intelligent player knows this strategic decisions by the coach and sometimes it’s hard to fight back against it.

Petey did a nice job last season when he got those great numbers 5v5. But now he works against an injurie so it will be a lot less. But in a playoff with this injurie he will produce anyway. But why mess with an injurie before playoffs? It’s just stupid. 

Seems like much more of a stretch.

I think that you're trying to read between the lines too much and are ending up making too many assumptions as a result.

6 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Curious of how you feel about that?

If you were in charge of picking Canada's lineup for Olympics

You honestly would not have put him on your team ever?

Fair question. For a one shot, high scoring show like the Olympics, yes I'd be dumb to not have McD on Canada's team. But in the real world (NHL) with a salary cap, I don't see him as a leader or great all around player. If I was building a team I would take Ep at ~ 10m/year over McD at ~ 15m/year.