[proposal] - Kuzmenko for Tarasenko?

-Senators would get the younger asset that could potentially sign there for the long term.

-The Canucks would get the better and more consistent player that could help them for the playoffs while also potentially freeing up cap space this Summer. Canucks also add a guy that has won a cup and can tell the young campers what it's like to be with another woman.  More importantly however, Tarasenko can win puck battles and so he'd probably make Tocchet happy.  IF (and this is a big IF) Tarasenko could stay healthy in Vancouver, then we could really take that next step. 

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

-Senators would get the younger asset that could potentially sign there for the long term.

-The Canucks would get the better and more consistent player that could help them for the playoffs while also potentially freeing up cap space this Summer. Canucks also add a guy that has won a cup and can tell the young campers what it's like to be with another woman.  More importantly however, Tarasenko can win puck battles and so he'd probably make Tocchet happy.  IF (and this is a big IF) Tarasenko could stay healthy in Vancouver, then we could really take that next step. 

Considering the age difference, I would want Ottawa's 2nd round pick in 2024 as well in this type of scenario. I think Kuzmenko still has significant value around the NHL. Canucks for the moment are better off trying to fix his game for the next little while.

• Cheers 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Considering the age difference, I would want Ottawa's 2nd round pick in 2024 as well in this type of scenario. I think Kuzmenko still has significant value around the NHL. Canucks for the moment are better off trying to fix his game for the next little while.

I hope you're right but unfortunately, I just see his value going down from here.  Kuzmenko doesn't seem like he wants to forecheck whereas Tarasenko, when healthy, does it fairly well.  I would just do the deal one for one. From a cap perspective, Tarasenko coming off the books at the end of the year would help the Canucks a lot. And IF Tarasenko finds his old game, putting him with one of Petey or Miller could be "BOOM goes the dynamite."

20 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I hope you're right but unfortunately, I just see his value going down from here.  Kuzmenko doesn't seem like he wants to forecheck whereas Tarasenko, when healthy, does it fairly well.  I would just do the deal one for one. From a cap perspective, Tarasenko coming off the books at the end of the year would help the Canucks a lot. And IF Tarasenko finds his old game, putting him with one of Petey or Miller could be "BOOM goes the dynamite."

You are right about the forecheck part, but that can be worked on, I don't think coach BB really pushed him on forechecking or backchecking for that matter, but Tocchet will absolutely continue to demand 200 foot accountability from Kuzmenko.

I've highlighted my main problem with Tarasenko, he's had some injury issues in the last few years, not sure I'd want to do the deal based on his overall durability.

I'm really not opposed to moving Kuzmenko although I think the Canucks are still a ways away from that decision. I've suggested before that the Pettersson line likely needs more of a Burrows type of player who will go aggressively into the corners and fight for pucks. I've actually wondered how someone like Bains would do on the wing with Pettersson and Mikheyev. He's got really good speed and isn't afraid of going into the corners and fighting for pucks and although he still has a couple of things to work out on his overall 200 foot game, isn't afraid to backcheck as well. Might be an interesting experiment!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

No he doesn't.  That hasn't been part of Vova's toolkit for some time now.

image.png.fe707748e01e668ed7b642059a95c319.png

Still a great player, especially off the rush.  But terrible fit on a team run by coach Tocchet.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Still a great player, especially off the rush.  But terrible fit on a team run by coach Tocchet.

.....yeah that EV defence stat would keep me away. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Thank you for pointing this out as I was unaware of this.  If that's the case, then it might be better to stay away? (unless Tocchet specifically encourages him to play like that?).   Is it old age why VT no longer plays like that or is it the system in Ottawa?

27 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Thank you for pointing this out as I was unaware of this.  If that's the case, then it might be better to stay away? (unless Tocchet specifically encourages him to play like that?).   Is it old age why VT no longer plays like that or is it the system in Ottawa?

I think you know the answer.  It's injuries, man.  His body isn't what it used to be and his play has suffered for it.  Senators fans are generally very happy with him (especially his playmaking) and he has clearly fit into their system.  But defending just isn't part of Vova's game anymore.  He's still an impactful top six forward but you gotta know what you're paying for.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Another Senator I'm interested in is Mathieu Joseph.

Always liked this guy.

Fast, hard forechecker who's having a pretty good season and is on a good contract for longer term. 

He could be a sneaky, good pick-up.

We may have to add a bit to our side of the deal to offset the money.

Kuzmenko, Kudryavtsev for Joseph?

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I'd keep Kuz if it was just a 1 for 1 trade. 

If they were adding a higher pick or a decent prospect then sure it could work for both teams. 

If a team like Ottawa had to give up a high-end pick/prospect, it obviously would NOT work for them.

Tarasenko would be one of the best rentals we could get. 

I'd be all over this trade if we could snag a pick to even out the value. 

Tarasenko was a beast for Blues when they won the cup, and he's healthy again. 

2 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Tarasenko would be one of the best rentals we could get. 

I'd be all over this trade if we could snag a pick to even out the value. 

Tarasenko was a beast for Blues when they won the cup, and he's healthy again. 

even out the value?? i would argue tarasenko have a higher value than kuzmenko because he'd be one of the top rentals available where kuzmenko still have another year left at 5.5mil.. the skill and talent is there.. but it's a gamble whether or not he rediscover his touch on the new team.

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

even out the value?? i would argue tarasenko have a higher value than kuzmenko because he'd be one of the top rentals available where kuzmenko still have another year left at 5.5mil.. the skill and talent is there.. but it's a gamble whether or not he rediscover his touch on the new team.

You could have a point.  

Tarasenko has been great two years ago and was excellent last year for both New York and St Louis.  

Tarasenko was great in New Yorks playoffs series as well. 

Now he's joined a struggling Ottawa team and performed well. 

He's way tougher on the puck then Kuzmenko, he would be a big upgrade for the playoffs!