Good article comparing Canucks' 3rd line to past Cup Winners' 3rd lines

Sophomore Jinx

40 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If a youngster comes up and proves more valuable then it would save us a significant amount of cap which is needed. Hog, Pod, Lekker, Karlsson, Bains, Raty, Sasson, Aman. Some of these guys are in the lineup already and others starting to get licks. 

Like I said they probably aren't moving him this year. Kuzy is more likely to get moved first anyway. I am talking next year or before the 2025-26 year when the OEL buyout cap goes up to 4.76M for two years while guys would have just been extended or will be needing some. We could end up risking bonus overages with youngsters at the same time which would add to the dead cap. 

We need to re-sign Petey, Hronek, Lafferty and Joshua who are all due for raises this year. Zadorov needs a contract as well. Have to decide on Bleuger who will probably be getting a bit of a raise since he's on pace for a career year. DeSmith, Myers and Cole need to be replaced and Kuzy if he's traded away. 

The trade deadline is gonna be interesting. I expect JR/PA to be active. 

All will boil down to how much the big 3 ufa/rfa ask for: Petey, Hronek, Zadorav

After that I think in order to keep progressing forward and not lose depth we need to sign Joshua and Bluegar for sure or our depth will definitely take a hit. I’d sign both of them before Lafferty. 

one of myers or Cole won’t be signed I think. 

1 minute ago, CanuckMan said:

All will boil down to how much the big 3 ufa/rfa ask for: Petey, Hronek, Zadorav

After that I think in order to keep progressing forward and not lose depth we need to sign Joshua and Bluegar for sure or our depth will definitely take a hit. I’d sign both of them before Lafferty. 

one of myers or Cole won’t be signed I think. 

If the cap goes up say 4M next off-season we have almost 31M in cap next year, a little more than 36M if we trade Kuzy away(assuming we take an expiring contract or no cap back). All of these guys are UFAs save for Petey and Hronek who could take up the majority of the cap space we have, even without Kuz's cap hit it would still probably be a bit more than half. 

If Petey goes for 11.25 and say Hronek goes for 7.75 that's 19M roughly + or -. They'd both take up 1/2 to 2/3rds depending on what happens to Kuzy's cap if he's traded. Zadorov will probably get what he's currently around in terms of the cap but with term. 

I am sure PA/JR would like an upgrade to each of our top 6 forward and top 4 D groups. Would be nice to get another minute muncher like Hronek/Hughes and an impact guy on Petey's line, like Boeser for Miller. 

It will be a tough off-season coming up.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If a youngster comes up and proves more valuable then it would save us a significant amount of cap which is needed. Hog, Pod, Lekker, Karlsson, Bains, Raty, Sasson, Aman. Some of these guys are in the lineup already and others starting to get licks. 

Like I said they probably aren't moving him this year. Kuzy is more likely to get moved first anyway. I am talking next year or before the 2025-26 year when the OEL buyout cap goes up to 4.76M for two years while guys would have just been extended or will be needing some. We could end up risking bonus overages with youngsters at the same time which would add to the dead cap. 

We need to re-sign Petey, Hronek, Lafferty and Joshua who are all due for raises this year. Zadorov needs a contract as well. Have to decide on Bleuger who will probably be getting a bit of a raise since he's on pace for a career year. DeSmith, Myers and Cole need to be replaced and Kuzy if he's traded away. 

The trade deadline is gonna be interesting. I expect JR/PA to be active. 

JR/PA have been active throughout the season so far. This current management has been so tight lipped, but active. I expect that Allvin and Rutherford have been talking to other teams about possible trades. It'll be a fun and interesting trade deadline, especially given that the team is one of the top teams in the league. 

On 12/29/2023 at 1:56 PM, Sophomore Jinx said:

Canucks’ 3rd Line Could Be Next Great Stanley Cup-Winning Line

image.png.f47ffa58f69dab50f5672bb9f6ffed28.png

© Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports

The Vancouver Canucks entered the holiday break atop the NHL standings for the first time in franchise history and are well on their way to making the playoffs. Many things can be attributed to this amazing result, including, but not limited to, the monster seasons from JT Miller, Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson, and Quinn Hughes and the rock-solid goaltending tandem of Thatcher Demko and Casey DeSmith. But, arguably the biggest reason for their dramatic upswing is the consistent two-way performance from their checking line of Conor Garland, Teddy Blueger and Dakota Joshua.

As much as I certainly agree, most Stanley cup winning teams have very good 4th lines as well, there has always been talk of the best teams being able to roll 4 lines and I definitely agree with that and tbh I've seen those teams dominate all season long. 

Is that easy to get, of course not but we're as close to that as we ever have been in a long time.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, iceman1964 said:

As much as I certainly agree, most Stanley cup winning teams have very good 4th lines as well, there has always been talk of the best teams being able to roll 4 lines and I definitely agree with that and tbh I've seen those teams dominate all season long. 

Is that easy to get, of course not but we're as close to that as we ever have been in a long time.

For sure. I have always thought that myself, in fact I think a hard-nosed, gritty forechecking and stifling 4th line (that can chip in now and then) is even MORE important ....but we're definitely on our way as you stated, I trust the management team in place to get it done.