[proposal] Elias Lindholm to Vancouver but with a different twist

Lindholm isn't having a great year, but if we were to make another trade with the Flames, they will definitely be asking for our top prospects + 2024 1st because we are a divisional rival. So it's more likely Lekkerimaki/Willander + 2024 1st is the starting price. I am not sure if I am willing to go all-in this season for this roster. I would like us to pick up another forward at the deadline, but I am hoping it will be a medium cost middle 6 forward to solidify the line-up. I don't think this is the year to go all-in.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:07 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

A week or so ago, an Interdivisional blockbuster deal was suggested on here that would see Kuzmenko, Raty, and a 1st go to Calgary for Elias Lindholm.  

I have a different spin however: (updated proposal)

To Vancouver:  Elias Lindholm

To Calgary: Tyler Myers, Vasili Podkolzin, 2024 1st, 2024 2nd.

With Lindholm in the line up, here is how I would suggest we do our lines.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

Cole-Juulsen

Wolanin

Demko

DeSmith

Under this set-up, we’d see the return of the “Lotto” line.  Miller helps with the forecheck, creates space, and helps with face-offs. Most importantly, Pettersson get high quality linemates to get him going again.

Lindholm then takes Petey‘s place on the Russian line which allows for Kuzmenko to still play with an offensively gifted center. Our bottom 6 would speak for itself.  That would likely be the best bottom 6 in the league.

Lindholm would be a rental for us but could also serve as a long term contingency plan if negotiations with Pettersson do not go well.

How do you retain him for next year

Myers does make more then Lindholm this season so you are covered there

But Myers contract is a place holder for raises to EP40 and little to Hronek.

SO where are you getting 8-8.5 million (Miller Horvat comparable) to re-sign him for next season and if you don't the trade cost is to great for the Canucks

In my Nylander proposal I suggest that the Canucks trade Garland and Kuz to make room for Nylander. So who do you propose to trade to retain Lindholm and do you think those that you give up are worth Lindholm. 

I ask this because I was thinking of a signing Proposal for Lindholm but I could not justify giving up on both Kuz and Garland for Lindholm mostly due to his age

Edited by CanuckFanForever

4 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

How do you retain him for next year

The simple answer is “you don’t” (unless negotiations with Petey go awry to which case, as a contingency, you sign Lindholm long term).

The primary purpose for signing Lindholm would be to make a run for this year’s playoffs.  

Re-unite the lotto line (giving Petey all the help that he needs), and then dominate opponents with our 4 lines. Lindholm would also help us with our PK.

By reuniting the lotto line, it also helps Kuzmenko get going. He would have an excellent defensive minded center in Lindholm, and wouldn’t have to go up against the top lines of other teams (leave that for the lotto line).  Kuzmenko could then rediscover his scoring touch on the 2nd line.  

That bottom 6 would arguably be the best in the league and many of those guys could kill penalties for us (which would obviously our scorers more well rested).  

20 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Rather go after Tanev since he'll be cheaper or Andersson if we wanted to go big

I hear you on Tanev.  He’s also someone I’d target depending on the price.

Andersson would cost an arm and a leg since he’s signed for multiple years and has an excellent cap hit relative to the value he brings.  I don’t think Calgary will ever give him up because they’d be short on RD’s if Tanev left at the end of the year.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:34 PM, Jeremy Hronek said:

I’ll officially add my offer to the original post:

To Vancouver:  Elias Lindholm

To Calgary: Tyler Myers, Vasili Podkolzin, 2024 1st, 2024 2nd.

I would do this

I think the thing that is holding the canucks back from being true contenders is having someone who can step up if one of Miller or Petey get injured

also with lindholm being defensively sound he would be able to center the third line and be able to take away matchups from Miller and Petey

however, as much of a scapegoat myers has been i think he needs to stay for the rest of the year, Garland going the other way would be the better move even if it cost a little more

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Johnny said:

I would do this

I think the thing that is holding the canucks back from being true contenders is having someone who can step up if one of Miller or Petey get injured

also with lindholm being defensively sound he would be able to center the third line and be able to take away matchups from Miller and Petey

however, as much of a scapegoat myers has been i think he needs to stay for the rest of the year, Garland going the other way would be the better move even if it cost a little more

Agreed on all accounts.  

With the presence of Lindholm under this scenario, you could re-unite the lotto line as well.    

As far as Myers goes, I might be open to moving him when Soucy returns because Juulsen has proven that he can play in that #6 spot.  

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

Cole-Juulsen

Friedman

Not sure if I want to move Garland because his line with Bluegar and Joshua is arguably the best thing that we have going for us.  

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Agreed on all accounts.  

With the presence of Lindholm under this scenario, you could re-unite the lotto line as well.    

As far as Myers goes, I might be open to moving him when Soucy returns because Juulsen has proven that he can play in that #6 spot.  

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

Cole-Juulsen

Friedman

Not sure if I want to move Garland because his line with Bluegar and Joshua is arguably the best thing that we have going for us.  

That line has kept the Canucks afloat the last few games.

however, tonights game showed that loading the top line leaves the rest a little vulnerable. I think tonight the lotto line was re-united because Jack Hughes was out.

I was also surprised to see Juulsen in and Zadorov out, only because I would expect to see them try soucey on the right side to see how it works for a potential Myers trade

Either way, if the Canucks got Lindholm it would be incredible and create a ton of flexibility up front

• Cheers 1

I don’t think Myers is going anywhere with his trade protection… if he does it makes all the math easier.

I suspect it will take more creative solutions to make the cap hits work.

Like laundering 50% of a Lindholm contract through a 3rd team as Calgary couldn’t retain and still take a full Kuzmenko cap back.

• Cheers 1

Switching up Boeser and Kuzmenko to even out the Top 6 + trading Mikheyev++ for Elias Lindholm

What if the Canucks did the following:   

Pettersson-Miller-Kuzmenko

Hoglander-Lindholm-Boeser

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Aman-Suter-Lafferty

Under this scenario, Mikheyev would be the player that the Canucks traded (him and Lindholm have almost identical cap hits). 

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

39 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Switching up Boeser and Kuzmenko to even out the Top 6 + trading Mikheyev++ for Elias Lindholm

What if the Canucks did the following:   

Pettersson-Miller-Kuzmenko

Hoglander-Lindholm-Boeser

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Aman-Suter-Lafferty

Under this scenario, Mikheyev would be the player that the Canucks traded (him and Lindholm have almost identical cap hits). 

Mikheyev is the guy I'd move too.  If Boeser gets hurt, Kuzmenko is the perfect backup.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Mikheyev is the guy I'd move too.  If Boeser gets hurt, Kuzmenko is the perfect backup.

Very hard to find guys that are as big as Mik, who can skate like he does, are as defensively responsible as he is, can play top minutes like (when healthy) he does, and puts up 25 + 25. 
JR and Allvin signed Mik for his hard to find qualities. Kuz Missile has good qualities too. But his skills can disappear and then there’s nothing else. Mik’s qualities are always helping us win. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very hard to find guys that are as big as Mik, who can skate like he does, are as defensively responsible as he is, can play top minutes like (when healthy) he does, and puts up 25 + 25. 
JR and Allvin signed Mik for his hard to find qualities. Kuz Missile has good qualities too. But his skills can disappear and then there’s nothing else. Mik’s qualities are always helping us win. 

Alf he's never put up 25+25.  In fact his best season ever is 32 points.  Even playing with Petey most of this year he's only gonna be around 40ish points.