[Report] Ilya Samsonov, previously waived, recalled by TOR

UPDATE:  Ilya Samsonov has been recalled by the Toronto Maple Leafs.  They obviously want Hildeby to be playing Marlies games since he got rushed up in a desperation move.  With Woll out, they've been riding Jones like a horse.  Between the pipes for back-to-back games.  And now this.

image.png.fade29fce6db082699193a433be8a8e6.png

image.png.ef1480d497e8da9682f07d4bced8e62f.png

And there it is.  A roster move to end the year for Toronto.  I don't think anyone should be surprised by this.  Regardless of the fact that Treliving has done nothing to address his depleted blueline, Samsonov has singlehandedly cost his team a ton of points this year.  Now the Leafs are all-in on Joseph Woll and Martin Jones, unless they want to rush in Dennis Hildeby.  Fans have been begging for the kid to come up and rescue the team.

Imagine if they do something crazy like bring back Petr Mrazek.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Whoever Toronto brings in, that goalie will soon be talked of as a possible Vezina candidate. 

I don't think so.  Leafs fans/pundits are nervous as hell right now.  They know this team has taken a step back compared to last year.  They are an injury or two away from having to use Lajoie and Lagesson again.

Samsonov really rejuvenated his career in Toronto last year and fell off a cliff this year. 
Whenever a player is this all over the place I always have that niggling suspicion in the back of my head about substance abuse. Not trying to start a rumour, just what my brain thinks when young players games are this inconsistent. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Yet the same loser pundits had the team tagged as Cup favourites.

In all fairness to them I don't think anyone expected every single summer transaction to flame out.  Samsonov, Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves... all bad signings.  None of them looked that great at the time but now they are all clear, CLEAR mistakes.

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

In all fairness to them I don't think anyone expected every single summer transaction to flame out.  Samsonov, Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves... all bad signings.  None of them looked that great at the time but now they are all clear, CLEAR mistakes.

Meh, media is just crap. They were blowing sunshine up Leafs butt all summer. All those signings were the ones to take them over the top. Lol. Except Klingberg. No one liked that one. Craig Button is the only one that I've heard call the Leafs as is. A top heavy shinny team. They can snipe, that's it.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Meh, media is just crap. They were blowing sunshine up Leafs butt all summer. All those signings were the ones to take them over the top. Lol. Except Klingberg. No one liked that one. Craig Button is the only one that I've heard call the Leafs as is. A top heavy shinny team. They can snipe, that's it.

Treliving had 16 million to make upgrades over the summer and he put it all on offense.  All of it.  Imagine if he were like Allvin and put it all on defense instead.  

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Treliving had 16 million to make upgrades over the summer and he put it all on offense.  All of it.  Imagine if he were like Allvin and put it all on defense instead.  

Or left some cap space as ammo. Then Treliving would of had the means to pick up a Zadarov. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Or left some cap space as ammo. Then Treliving would of had the means to pick up a Zadarov. 

Nah, I don't think you can afford to leave cap space open in a division as competitive as the Atlantic.  If anything, he does deserve credit for going to arbitration with Samsonov.  That was the right move in hindsight.  It's a much easier contract to move than Soup's, that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Treliving is the new Dubas…

As I just mentioned, you can't really fault Treliving for re-signing Samsonov.  It's probably the only good move he's made as the Leafs GM.  Instead of a big extension, you have a one year deal where they can wipe the slate clean in a few months.

As for comparing him to Dubas, I think that's unfair.  Dubas is guilty of managing a team that played well in the regular season but always underperformed in the playoffs.  Treliving is guilty of managing a team that underperformed in the regular season.  That should be the first hurdle of any GM - just make the playoffs.  Dubas kept the Leafs competitive.  Treliving failed to do the same with Calgary.

Look at it this way.  Penguins fans are generally happy with the improvements Dubas has made.  What Hextall did to destroy that team is insane.  The only glaring weakness of that team is surprisingly their powerplay.  On the other hand, Leafs fans are universally unhappy with Treliving.  He actually had a ton of money to work with in the offseason, and he has made the team objectively worse.  How long did it take before people started talking about buying out Klingberg and Reaves?  One month?

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

As I just mentioned, you can't really fault Treliving for re-signing Samsonov.  It's probably the only good move he's made as the Leafs GM.  Instead of a big extension, you have a one year deal where they can wipe the slate clean in a few months.

As for comparing him to Dubas, I think that's unfair.  Dubas is guilty of managing a team that played well in the regular season but always underperformed in the playoffs.  Treliving is guilty of managing a team that underperformed in the regular season.  That should be the first hurdle of any GM - just make the playoffs.  Dubas kept the Leafs competitive.  Treliving failed to do the same with Calgary.

Look at it this way.  Penguins fans are generally happy with the improvements Dubas has made.  What Hextall did to destroy that team is insane.  The only glaring weakness of that team is surprisingly their powerplay.  On the other hand, Leafs fans are universally unhappy with Treliving.  He actually had a ton of money to work with in the offseason, and he has made the team objectively worse.  How long did it take before people started talking about buying out Klingberg and Reaves?  One month?

Dubas had the advantage of players actually wanting to play in Toronto.  Treliving on the other hand lost his second best player to free agency because he didn’t want to play in Calgary.  Then he was forced to trade his best player for the same reason.  If Treliving was able to keep both Tkachuk and Gaudreau then Calgary is a completely different team.

Dubas also ruined his cap by having 4 forwards take up almost 50% of the cap.  Not really a good way to build a team IMO.

Yes, at least Treliving didn’t give Samsonov a long term deal.  Not a big fan of either GM to be honest.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I wish Clarke could have Samsonov on a league min deal next season to see if he can fix the kid, he’s clearly capable he’s shown it in Washington and Toronto he just can’t keep it together 

I think it's the mental side of the game that's the issue for Samsonov which I don't think you want as that part can crumble any time.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Toronto always seems to end up blaming goalies, rather than acknowledging the true problems with the team. 

Hmm, a GM invests in 4 people and has cap scraps left for goaltending, and then has the media blame the team’s failures on some b-grade goaltenders. Now the franchise’s hopes rest on the return of Woll, a guy with 26 NHL games played in his career. No red flags here.

Bingo. 

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I think it's the mental side of the game that's the issue for Samsonov which I don't think you want as that part can crumble any time.

League minimum contract that you can burry if need be? Even if your assumption is correct I believe a good goalie coach helps just as much on the mental side of the game as he does with the fundamentals, I just feel desmith is playing himself out of an affordable extension for us and we don’t really have anyone kicking down the door in the minors quite yet….