[Report] Ilya Samsonov, previously waived, recalled by TOR

Trevliving isn't that great compared to Dubas... both sign players to ridiculous contracts... just look at Uber Dough.. 

Thank God we finally have competent management and aren't in between a rock and a hard place like the Laffs or Flamers... aside from the OEL recap we're doing OK.

We will see how he handles Petey’s extention.. I do for the first time in a decade plus trust our management group tho... as a die hard VanCity fan thank God hahaha

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

Trevliving isn't that great compared to Dubas... both sign players to ridiculous contracts... just look at Uber Dough.. 

Thank God we finally have competent management and aren't in between a rock and a hard place like the Laffs or Flamers... aside from the OEL recap we're doing OK.

We will see how he handles Petey’s extention.. I do for the first time in a decade plus trust our management group tho... as a die hard VanCity fan thank God hahaha

I trust Allvin, and I'll keep a close eye on things, but man, it's hard cause there's not much leaks coming out from management lol 

unlike the Benning years

Signing Reaves & Klingberg was stupid. For a franchise with that much support from fans in sales they really aren’t the smartest organization around. Everyone knows Toronto needed a capable starting goalie and help on defence. What do they do? Sign forwards and an offensive d-man. Lol

cant believe these guys get paid to do these jobs. Trevling & Dubas both are terrible GM’s but they keep getting employed. 

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Signing Reaves & Klingberg was stupid. For a franchise with that much support from fans in sales they really aren’t the smartest organization around. Everyone knows Toronto needed a capable starting goalie and help on defence. What do they do? Sign forwards and an offensive d-man. Lol

cant believe these guys get paid to do these jobs. Trevling & Dubas both are terrible GM’s but they keep getting employed. 

Well, Benning was a terrible GM too, and he was employed for almost ten years with the Canucks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

It helps when your Dad has lots of money.

3 hours ago, Bobby Lou said:

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

32 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

It helps when your Dad has lots of money.

Anyone who sees Samsonov as a case of Treliving's poor management really isn't paying attention at all.  This is the one and only move he's made as Leafs GM that hasn't already backfired.  He could've absolutely offered a solid extension to Samsonov, but instead went to arbitration and signed a cheap one year deal.  Yes, he took the savings and spent it on buyout fodder but you guys can't hold Samsonov over his head like it was a mistake.

19 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Anyone who sees Samsonov as a case of Treliving's poor management really isn't paying attention at all.  This is the one and only move he's made as Leafs GM that hasn't already backfired.  He could've absolutely offered a solid extension to Samsonov, but instead went to arbitration and signed a cheap one year deal.  Yes, he took the savings and spent it on buyout fodder but you guys can't hold Samsonov over his head like it was a mistake.

Not sure why you quoted me. I don’t think Samsanov was the problem signing. I think Reaves/Klingberg were. They’re lucky Klingberg is only 1 year and will be gone. But they have 2 more years of Reaves. Yeah he’s a low cap hit under 1.5 mil I believe but the guy barely plays. I think they had enough firepower. They just had to pick up defensive dmen or forwards which usually come pretty cheap. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Samsonov?

I still can't get over his mess in Calgary.

6 hours ago, Bobby Lou said:

Neither have ever shown any sign that they are qualified to work in hockey ops.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chris12345 said:

Samsonov?

I still can't get over his mess in Calgary.

Toronto has no goaltender lol. and their defense is terrible, so their only hope really is to outscore opponents. That's never a strategy that's going to work well in the playoffs. Guess it's another first round exit for them again

9 hours ago, Captain insano said:

League minimum contract that you can burry if need be? Even if your assumption is correct I believe a good goalie coach helps just as much on the mental side of the game as he does with the fundamentals, I just feel desmith is playing himself out of an affordable extension for us and we don’t really have anyone kicking down the door in the minors quite yet…. 

this is a guy we should get with Silvos down in abby on the cheap

10 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

CanuckMan was talking about the Klingberg and Reaves signings, I mentioned the Huberdeau albatros and stated Treliving is no better than Dubas. 

I was talking about poor management which seems to be what the others quoted were saying.

Treliving is a terrible GM and he's  made many mistakes but that's not one.... 

Edited by Bobby Lou
  • Cheers 2

20 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Treliving had 16 million to make upgrades over the summer and he put it all on offense.  All of it.  Imagine if he were like Allvin and put it all on defense instead.  

I can't help but say Treliving is an idiot. Simple as that. And Shannahan has lost his way for hiring him so quickly 

10 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Not sure why you quoted me. I don’t think Samsanov was the problem signing. I think Reaves/Klingberg were. They’re lucky Klingberg is only 1 year and will be gone. But they have 2 more years of Reaves. Yeah he’s a low cap hit under 1.5 mil I believe but the guy barely plays. I think they had enough firepower. They just had to pick up defensive dmen or forwards which usually come pretty cheap. 

Samsonov is probably just good enough to be an NHL starter playing in front of Vegas. The Oilers and Leafs always think they can skimp on goaltending because other teams do it. But usually these other teams have a better defensive system and roster

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Treliving had 16 million to make upgrades over the summer and he put it all on offense.  All of it.  Imagine if he were like Allvin and put it all on defense instead.  

I had been a past Allvin critic and prior to this season, I was not entirely convinced that Allvin knew what he was doing - but I was wrong.

What I do realize is that Allvin didn't put it on ALL defense. His depth lines were ACTUALLY good. Blueger and Joshua were two fantastic signings. Credit goes to Allvin and his team for being able to accurately project these players as being good and signing them for VERY good deals. it's not that our defense has improved; rather, Allvin balanced the roster out.

Hronek was a pretty shiny new piece and he is very good offensively with Hughes. Still, you need the other forwards to be more responsible. Players like Soucy and Cole were also excellent signings and yet they don't exactly light the world on fire. I think Allvin brought was balance.

13 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Benning was no better. I would say he was almost worst due to his longevity.

Not exactly logical, considering many of his roster choices are core pieces used by Allvin. What Allvin did initially was a mess (in his first year), but he quickly learned from his mistakes there (this year). Pre-Allvin players like Garland have turned out to be VERY serviceable, along with Allvin's additions in Joshua and (later Blueger). Other Benning players include Hoglander, besides Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko.

Benning sure made a lot of mistakes, but the amount of criticism that he gets while ignoring his contributions to the current team, is dishonest commentary. Imagine hating someone so much that you'd gloss over certain points because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Benning's amateur scouting was far better than his pro scouting. Not only does PA bring in pieces at a reasonable cap hit and term, he brings players that actually can play.

Benning two pluses on Pro Scouting was Toffoli and Miller. Given how good Toffoli has been on multiple teams since. It's a pity he couldn't figure a way to keep him.

But he was horrible at managing the cap. No matter how good Garland is, it wasn't worth OEL and giving up a 1st.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

22 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

In all fairness to them I don't think anyone expected every single summer transaction to flame out.  Samsonov, Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves... all bad signings.  None of them looked that great at the time but now they are all clear, CLEAR mistakes.

Yip. Thing is with the crap media in this country if Toronto did nothing this summer it's " way to stand pat, won a round now let them build within" or some garbage. Instead they add, and it's "these are the pieces to go over the top, great job management" It's why most of us can't stand the whole Leafs love in by the bought media. It's embarrassing really. Leafs about to bring in another goalie and ruin him yet hardly no one calls out the core for playing the same shinny style hockey for over half a decade.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Not exactly logical, considering many of his roster choices are core pieces used by Allvin. What Allvin did initially was a mess (in his first year), but he quickly learned from his mistakes there (this year). Pre-Allvin players like Garland have turned out to be VERY serviceable, along with Allvin's additions in Joshua and (later Blueger). Other Benning players include Hoglander, besides Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko.

Benning sure made a lot of mistakes, but the amount of criticism that he gets while ignoring his contributions to the current team, is dishonest commentary. Imagine hating someone so much that you'd gloss over certain points because it doesn't fit your narrative.

We are yet to see if those core pieces will accomplish anything. So far they only have the 1 playoff appearance during the bubble I believe. Yes benning got the core together but never surrounded them with the right pieces. I don’t think the entire blame is on him though. Ownership definitely played a role in messing things up and looks like FA is finally taking the back seat and sitting down. He might be a business man but knows F-all in how to build a hockey team. Best to leave that to the pro’s in Rutherford and Alvin

• Vintage 1

Crazy to think that Samsonov was such a high draft pick and comes from the same wave of Russian goaltending that gave us Shesty, Vasi, and Sorokin. 

Was never that impressed with him, and clearly he doesn't have the mental fortitude required to be an NHL starter.