Workout/Fitness/Nutrition/Health thread

Shift-4

A new study shows that 1 year of this kind of exercise yields results 4 years later

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/a-new-study-shows-that-1-year-of-this-kind-of-exercise-yields-results-4-years-later-1.6932564

Retirement should be filled with time with loved ones, relaxation and—according to new research—heavy lifting.

As people get older, their skeletal muscle function declines, according to the study(opens in a new tab) published Tuesday in the journal BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine.

“If you do resistance training at this age, benefits in some parameters may last several years,” said lead study author Mads Bloch-Ibenfeldt(opens in a new tab), a doctoral student at the Institute of Sports Medicine at Bispebjerg Hospital in Copenhagen, Denmark.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I signed up for the Kraken 5k run and made a donation. This will be a great opportunity to support a great cause and build community. 

This will also be an opportunity to get in better shape. I have not ran for ages! 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I am 57 now and I turn 58 at the end of November. I decided last November that by the time I reach 58, I was going to be able to do 50 pushups straight through again.

I started with 5 per day and have not missed a day since middle of November, even when I really didn't feel like it, I still made myself do it.

It's now the middle of August and I do at least 40 every day and have managed to push to 50 once. I actually do about 70 - 75 in total as I do first set of 40 - 45 with my hands pointing straight forward and then I take a 3 to 4 minute stretching break and then turn my hands, fingers pointing in at each other and I do another 30 - 35 that way to focus more on other muscle groups.

I'm ahead of schedule!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been running and walking, and it has been brutal running and walking around the track! 

I have a heating pad on my legs. They are sore! 

I went to the discount store yesterday and today. I'm not much of an in-store shopper and prefer online, but yesterday I bought two pairs of running shorts. They were cheap, so I went back today! 

1 hour ago, brilac said:

I've been running and walking, and it has been brutal running and walking around the track! 

I have a heating pad on my legs. They are sore! 

I went to the discount store yesterday and today. I'm not much of an in-store shopper and prefer online, but yesterday I bought two pairs of running shorts. They were cheap, so I went back today! 

Cheap runners are bad for your feet especially if you are going to run.  Splurge and get something good.  You knees and feet will thank you.

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Cheap runners are bad for your feet especially if you are going to run.  Splurge and get something good.  You knees and feet will thank you.

I have runners, they are Adidas and Nike. I bought cheap shorts yesterday. Discount stores as in Home Goods, TJ Max, Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack.

On 8/15/2024 at 11:25 AM, VegasCanuck said:

I am 57 now and I turn 58 at the end of November. I decided last November that by the time I reach 58, I was going to be able to do 50 pushups straight through again.

I started with 5 per day and have not missed a day since middle of November, even when I really didn't feel like it, I still made myself do it.

It's now the middle of August and I do at least 40 every day and have managed to push to 50 once. I actually do about 70 - 75 in total as I do first set of 40 - 45 with my hands pointing straight forward and then I take a 3 to 4 minute stretching break and then turn my hands, fingers pointing in at each other and I do another 30 - 35 that way to focus more on other muscle groups.

I'm ahead of schedule!

I got into the pushups in the pandemic. I think I got close to 60 straight. A trick I would use was to turn my hands partway through the set. You definitely, use different muscles when doing so.

• Cheers 1

Jogged and walked 13 laps around the track this evening. 

I got home and I was like ~ I feel great! Then I sat down and felt it in my thighs... I have a heating pad on my thighs. 

Trying to get the rhythm of things. 

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, brilac said:

Jogged and walked 13 laps around the track this evening. 

I got home and I was like ~ I feel great! Then I sat down and felt it in my thighs... I have a heating pad on my thighs. 

Trying to get the rhythm of things. 

It'll get easier every time. Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

Jogged/walked today - 13 laps around the track. 

It felt good! Plus, my thighs did not hurt afterwards. 

I also signed up to be a volunteer at the Base 2 Space event at the Space Needle at the end of September.

Participant - Kraken 5k

Volunteer - Base 2 Space

• Upvote 1