[GDT] Around the NHL [January 2024]

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Oilers hate or not, you don't win eleven in a row by getting lucky

What the Oil have done to climb out if their hole is really impressive 

Turns out that when you bring the exact same team that won 50 games the last year... you're gonna get a team that'll probably win 50 games again.

Anyone who doubts this team's ability to win in the regular season is deluding themselves.  For what it's worth, they have also won 3 playoff series in the past two years, pulling it off despite absolute horseshit goaltending.  They've been eliminated by the cup champions both times.

That team is not good enough to win the cup.  But that doesn't mean they're trash either. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

They're gonna get one of the divisional spots, we have to be careful not to have many losing streaks down the stretch 

I don't think we need to worry about then unless we have losing skids, we've been pretty consistent about bouncing back thus far though

Kings should he nervous, they've given up a lot of ground to Edmonton and Seattle, even Calgary is in the mix

2 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

11 in a row or not, I still don't see these guys being actual playoff threats. They have no depth, a pretty slim defense, and very unpredictable goaltending. It's honestly a really weird team and until they get more depth and actual quality players besides the 4 main guys they have on their team, I'm not worried about facing them in the playoffs.

Maybe, but I recall the Avs saying each game was tough against them in the playoffs

They're top heavy but both McDavid and Draisaitl have shown they can be dominant come playoff time, they may not go deep but they could absolutely knock out anyone who takes them lightly 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Turns out that when you bring the exact same team that won 50 games the last year... you're gonna get a team that'll probably win 50 games again.

Anyone who doubts this team's ability to win in the regular season is deluding themselves.  For what it's worth, they have also won 3 playoff series in the past two years, pulling it off despite absolute horseshit goaltending.  They've been eliminated by the cup champions both times.

That team is not good enough to win the cup.  But that doesn't mean they're trash either. 

Agreed, they could be a dangerous opponent for any team who takes them mightly

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think we need to worry about then unless we have losing skids, we've been pretty consistent about bouncing back thus far though

Kings should he nervous, they've given up a lot of ground to Edmonton and Seattle, even Calgary is in the mix

Maybe, but I recall the Avs saying each game was tough against them in the playoffs

They're top heavy but both McDavid and Draisaitl have shown they can be dominant come playoff time, they may not go deep but they could absolutely knock out anyone who takes them lightly 

I think they had a much better team last year and the year before. Even coming into this season, I never understood how or why the team was built that way and why there was so much hype surrounding them. This year it seems like even one injury to a guy like Kane or McLeod puts them a couple of spots below where they already are, which is pretty crazy.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

11 in a row or not, I still don't see these guys being actual playoff threats. They have no depth, a pretty slim defense, and very unpredictable goaltending. It's honestly a really weird team and until they get more depth and actual quality players besides the 4 main guys they have on their team, I'm not worried about facing them in the playoffs.

They're actually not a terrible team in the playoffs - they've proven that in the past two years.  But they have some obvious weaknesses that can more easily get exploited in a 7-game series.  It's easier to hide those weaknesses in the regular season when the opponents aren't studying them profusely.

Just now, KingRaj91 said:

I think they had a much better team last year and the year before. Even coming into this season, I never understood how or why the team was built that way and why there was so much hype surrounding them. This year it seems like even one injury to a guy like Kane or McLeod puts them a couple of spots below where they already are, which is pretty crazy.

Better team last year?  Who did they have last year that they don't have this year?  Soup?  Woodcroft??

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, KingRaj91 said:

they have more depth on forward than we do.. at least they have 5 players that are actual top 6.. we have 3.. oiler gives up the 3rd fewest chance against and 3rd most scoring chance for.. i'd be worried about facing them.. we don't generate a lot of shots or chances to begin with and relying on out of the world PDO.. chances of us continue shooting at 13.5%?? very unlikely.. league avg over the years is closer to 9.5-10%... at the very beginning of the season oilers were generating all the chance and not scoring.. and not giving up much but everything is going in the net.. now those numbers are back to normal for them just like i expect our shooting % to come back down a bit eventually.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

They largely have the same group. They just couldn't buy goals early on, things evened out and they began winning. It's not a shock that a team who was dominant at times last season could go on an absolute tear.

Are they top heavy? Yeah, but so are a number of other playoff teams. Will they win a cup? Probably not. Could they be a dangerous opponent for any western team despite their flaws? Yes.

19 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

its kinda funny that your explanation covers both the leafs and edmonton!

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

they have more depth on forward than we do.. at least they have 5 players that are actual top 6.. we have 3.. oiler gives up the 3rd fewest chance against and 3rd most scoring chance for.. i'd be worried about facing them.. we don't generate a lot of shots or chances to begin with and relying on out of the world PDO.. chances of us continue shooting at 13.5%?? very unlikely.. league avg over the years is closer to 9.5-10%... at the very beginning of the season oilers were generating all the chance and not scoring.. and not giving up much but everything is going in the net.. now those numbers are back to normal for them just like i expect our shooting % to come back down a bit eventually.

That's literally not the definition of depth, we can roll four lines and we have a couple of AHL callups that would be regular bottom 6 guys on most teams. The Oilers can't and don't have that. Kuzmenko is still a top 6 guy on most teams, he's just having a down year and I feel the same for Mik.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

🤣

We We We - this guy was DEFINITELY the original pajama boy.

Maybe if this guy were still playing, he'd be there.  No Ryan Reaves, just Biz 2.0 fulfilling his lifelong dream.

Seriously - imagine someone like Patrice Bergeron saying "we" about the Habs just because he grew up a fan of them.

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They’ve lost 4 in a row. If they continue to lose they may fall right out of the playoffs. Tampa, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Islanders are all just a couple points behind them. 

Islanders have an Elephant weighing them down. They are done. 

11 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

That's literally not the definition of depth, we can roll four lines and we have a couple of AHL callups that would be regular bottom 6 guys on most teams. The Oilers can't and don't have that. Kuzmenko is still a top 6 guy on most teams, he's just having a down year and I feel the same for Mik.

I think i saw a stat somewhere that the oilers have the worst bottom 6 production in the NHL.   Their bottom 3 defenders are average at best.  The team will go as far as McDavid can take them.  We saw what they looked like when he was playing hurt - worse than Ottawa.   I think the positive thing for them is that this is the first coach along with Coffey thats trying to implement a more defensive system.

Edit: I looked this up.  The bottom 2 lines the oilers dressed tonight have a combined 14 goals.  To put it into perspective Hoglander alone has 12, dont even have to bring Joshua/Garland/Blueger into the conversation.

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I like that our shot counts are low. Wait till they count. I think the defense could be pounding more slappers even when they dont see a lane. but wait for the rebound from the block and you have a lane. Also after hearing Keefe talk about the Avs I cant wait for him to see the lotto max line

13 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

lol we have 1 line.. mikheyev was never a top 6 ever in his career.. kuzmenko is a top 6 on most team.. except on this team.. suter is a 3/4c playing 2c. their top 2 line can easily carry them as their other 2 line hardly plays anyways.. sure u can roll 4 lines.. in the playoff most team shortens the bench and rolls 3 line anyways... keep sleeping on them.. that's 1 team i want to avoid at all cost in the 1st round.

32 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think i saw a stat somewhere that the oilers have the worst bottom 6 production in the NHL.   Their bottom 3 defenders are average at best.  The team will go as far as McDavid can take them.  We saw what they looked like when he was playing hurt - worse than Ottawa.   I think the positive thing for them is that this is the first coach along with Coffey thats trying to implement a more defensive system.

Edit: I looked this up.  The bottom 2 lines the oilers dressed tonight have a combined 14 goals.  To put it into perspective Hoglander alone has 12, dont even have to bring Joshua/Garland/Blueger into the conversation.

Well, the Oilers are a bit more than just McDavid, even in the playoffs.  But to work off your point...

McDavid can take them to the second or third round.  I certainly don't believe he can take them anywhere past that.  But they have enjoyed mild playoff success with this squad.

I am just happy the Canucks played the Oilers so much early on.  It really helped us get out on the right foot and we haven't looked back ever since.  The Oilers looked like the Canucks last year - just losing, losing, losing.  But unlike Vancouver... they fired their coach in a timely manner and managed to turn things around before it was too late.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, the Oilers are a bit more than just McDavid, even in the playoffs.  But to work off your point...

McDavid can take them to the second or third round.  I certainly don't believe he can take them anywhere past that.  But they have enjoyed mild playoff success with this squad.

I am just happy the Canucks played the Oilers so much early on.  It really helped us get out on the right foot and we haven't looked back ever since.  The Oilers looked like the Canucks last year - just losing, losing, losing.  But unlike Vancouver... they fired their coach in a timely manner and managed to turn things around before it was too late.

Ok , maybe I was embellishing, but at the end of the day its McDavid and a couple other guys?  Their supporting cast is underwhelming.  Bottom 6 are a black hole production wise and outside of that top D pair i wouldnt trust the other 4 in any close series.   I wouldnt bet anything on the goaltending. Their second line is made really good by Draisaitl.  If I were to look at their roster I think the biggest advantage they have over the Canucks right now is their second line.

I agree with you that beating them helped the Canucks get off on the right foot...i also think the converse could be true ...the oilers getting beat badly in those first three games vs the Canucks might have something to do with the tailspin they got sent in- a big blow to the confidence of a team the media was pumping the whole off season...coz if it was due to McDavid playing injured and Ekholm being out then maybe they really are a 2 man team?

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

Ok , maybe I was embellishing, but at the end of the day its McDavid and a couple other guys?  Their supporting cast is underwhelming.  Bottom 6 are a black hole production wise and outside of that top D pair i wouldnt trust the other 4 in any close series.   I wouldnt bet anything on the goaltending. Their second line is made really good by Draisaitl.  If I were to look at their roster I think the biggest advantage they have over the Canucks right now is their second line.

I agree with you that beating them helped the Canucks get off on the right foot...i also think the converse could be true ...the oilers getting beat badly in those first three games vs the Canucks might have something to do with the tailspin they got sent in- a big blow to the confidence of a team the media was pumping the whole off season...coz if it was due to McDavid playing injured and Ekholm being out then maybe they really are a 2 man team?

Keep in mind that bottom six didn't do shit for Edmonton the past two years.  Goaltending turned the difficulty mode to VERY HARD.  And yet they still beat LA twice.  They still beat Calgary.  They've won quite a few postseason games with this incredibly flawed squad.  Was anyone going to beat that Colorado team?  Hell no.  Was anyone going to beat that Vegas team?  A less emphatic no, but still no.

Do I believe the Canucks can beat the Oilers in the playoffs?  Absolutely.  Do I think they are chumps?  Absolutely not.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Keep in mind that bottom six didn't do shit for Edmonton the past two years.  Goaltending turned the difficulty mode to VERY HARD.  And yet they still beat LA twice.  They still beat Calgary.  They've won quite a few postseason games with this incredibly flawed squad.  Was anyone going to beat that Colorado team?  Hell no.  Was anyone going to beat that Vegas team?  A less emphatic no, but still no.

Do I believe the Canucks can beat the Oilers in the playoffs?  Absolutely.  Do I think they are chumps?  Absolutely not.

I think i pretty much agree with you on most of this.  I dont think they are chumps either.  They still have the best player in the league and Draisaitl turns into a beast in the playoffs. IF Skinner can hold the fort who knows what they can do.  I do think we can beat them, would rather face a Nashville or Arizona in round one though lol.

I think they have like a 2 year window before their window starts getting a lot smaller.  They gonna have to pay Bouchard...that Nurse contract is a real anchor.

So last 4 games Leafs ...

• blew a 3rd period lead in all the games
  • 3 of the games they blew a multi goal lead
  • 3 of the games they lost in regulation

Ouch!

I know Marner isn't going to throw the team under the bus and his response was more diplomatic, which is understandable.

But it also felt like it was a "shrug oh well, too bad" type response and I don't think that's going to sit well with the fans.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-fighting-frustration-as-blown-leads-and-losses-pile-up/

While the Oilers streak is good I wasn't overly impressed last night. They just managed to pounce on a team that caves easily lately.