[GDT] Around the NHL [January 2024]

45 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

While the Oilers streak is good I wasn't overly impressed last night. They just managed to pounce on a team that caves easily lately.

In a way, they still pounced on said team. Not every team is able to pounce on a strugglging team.

I still think the Oilers are too much of a hot/cold team. They win games in long streaks and they also struggle in long streaks, and it seems there are no in between. As good as this 11-game streak is going, they aren't really able to go on any or losing streak of 4 games or more. We will see how it all plays out. I think they make it as 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific. I am hoping we can stay ahead of the rest of the pack the rest of the way, grab the Division title and avoid a first round match up against VGK/EDM.

3 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

In a way, they still pounced on said team. Not every team is able to pounce on a strugglging team.

I still think the Oilers are too much of a hot/cold team. They win games in long streaks and they also struggle in long streaks, and it seems there are no in between. As good as this 11-game streak is going, they aren't really able to go on any or losing streak of 4 games or more. We will see how it all plays out. I think they make it as 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific. I am hoping we can stay ahead of the rest of the pack the rest of the way, grab the Division title and avoid a first round match up against VGK/EDM.

It would be soooooo Canuck for them to win the division, only to play a Vegas team that fell to 4th due to injury but all of a sudden it's playoff time and they're all healthy and have a roster that would be 20 million over the cap in normal circumstances.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It would be soooooo Canuck for them to win the division, only to play a Vegas team that fell to 4th due to injury but all of a sudden it's playoff time and they're all healthy and have a roster that would be 20 million over the cap in normal circumstances.

Last 2 times the Canucks made it past the first round, they beat the defending cup Champion (2011 and 2020).

Realistically, I think Vegas will bounce back, address their issues and still make the playoffs as one of the Divisional seeds (could still challenge for Division title). I see the Kings as the team that could fall out into a WC team if they keep on struggling.

Calgary is also a dark horse to make it as a WC now. I would not want to play those guys because I know fucking Markstrom will play a series of his career against us because that's what he will do.

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So last 4 games Leafs ...

• blew a 3rd period lead in all the games
  • 3 of the games they blew a multi goal lead
  • 3 of the games they lost in regulation

Ouch!

I know Marner isn't going to throw the team under the bus and his response was more diplomatic, which is understandable.

But it also felt like it was a "shrug oh well, too bad" type response and I don't think that's going to sit well with the fans.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-fighting-frustration-as-blown-leads-and-losses-pile-up/

Marner has never been very thoughtful or  self-critical in his interviews.  Remember after they got bounced in round one a couple tears ago?  Said he didn't feel the need to change anything.  Toronto had a field day over that comment.

1 hour ago, RJCF96 said:

Last 2 times the Canucks made it past the first round, they beat the defending cup Champion (2011 and 2020).

Realistically, I think Vegas will bounce back, address their issues and still make the playoffs as one of the Divisional seeds (could still challenge for Division title). I see the Kings as the team that could fall out into a WC team if they keep on struggling.

Calgary is also a dark horse to make it as a WC now. I would not want to play those guys because I know fucking Markstrom will play a series of his career against us because that's what he will do.

Markström is hurt.  They had to call up Dustin Wolf.  Everytime the man gets red hot he gets hurt.  That's been his Calgary experience in a nutshell.  They're going nowhere without him between the pipes.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

With Eichel out it could happen, like LA Vegas has been treading water of late. 4-6-0 in their last 10. Canucks have a seven point lead for the division but I do believe we'll have our losing skids as well going forward. 

Canucks 44GP 62 points

Vegas 44GP 55 points

LA 41 GP 50 points 

Oilers 40 GP 49 points 

Calgary 44GP 47 points 

Seattle 44GP 47 points 

Considering the central

Winnipeg 43GP 62 points

Colorado 45GP 61 points

Dallas 43GP 57 points

Preds 44GP 49 points

Arizona 42GP 45 points 

I think Arizona will fall out despite having been better this season, could see Nashville fading too 

It wouldn't shock me at all to have the Canucks play one of LA, Edmonton, or Vegas in the first round, I wouldn't be surprised to see 4-5 Pacific teams make it at this rate 

If Edmonton can win even a couple of their games in hand on Vegas they'll be breathing down their neck, same goes for LA, and I don't expect LA to keep sliding the way they have been 

Edited by Coconuts

20 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol we have 1 line.. mikheyev was never a top 6 ever in his career.. kuzmenko is a top 6 on most team.. except on this team.. suter is a 3/4c playing 2c. their top 2 line can easily carry them as their other 2 line hardly plays anyways.. sure u can roll 4 lines.. in the playoff most team shortens the bench and rolls 3 line anyways... keep sleeping on them.. that's 1 team i want to avoid at all cost in the 1st round.

Lol what are you saying man? We're talking about our depth compared to the Oilers depth and you're saying we have one line, but we can roll four lines? How does that make any sense?

• ThereItIs 1

Too funny watching the overhyped loserdoodle Devils falling further from a playoff spot. They have no chance with that Nemec guy. Total dough head. Might be one of the doughiest heads ever. One serious sticky bun brain. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Too funny watching the overhyped loserdoodle Devils falling further from a playoff spot. They have no chance with that Nemec guy. Total dough head. Might be one of the doughiest heads ever. One serious sticky bun brain. 

More doughy than Broberg? 

8 hours ago, Kragar said:

Paul Maurice bugs me, always has. I get the impression that if one of his players pulled a gun and shot an opponent, he'd bitch about the penalty.

Similar to the sweaty pig Julien..... 🤬👿

• Haha 3

On 1/17/2024 at 11:14 AM, Coconuts said:

With Eichel out it could happen, like LA Vegas has been treading water of late. 4-6-0 in their last 10. Canucks have a seven point lead for the division but I do believe we'll have our losing skids as well going forward. 

Canucks 44GP 62 points

Vegas 44GP 55 points

LA 41 GP 50 points 

Oilers 40 GP 49 points 

Calgary 44GP 47 points 

Seattle 44GP 47 points 

Considering the central

Winnipeg 43GP 62 points

Colorado 45GP 61 points

Dallas 43GP 57 points

Preds 44GP 49 points

Arizona 42GP 45 points 

I think Arizona will fall out despite having been better this season, could see Nashville fading too 

It wouldn't shock me at all to have the Canucks play one of LA, Edmonton, or Vegas in the first round, I wouldn't be surprised to see 4-5 Pacific teams make it at this rate 

If Edmonton can win even a couple of their games in hand on Vegas they'll be breathing down their neck, same goes for LA, and I don't expect LA to keep sliding the way they have been 

I can’t see Colorado maintaining given how decimated they are. Maybe Nashville or Arizona stays in the mix because of it.

Toronto media is merciless and toxic.  But Marner has some brutal interviews.

Compare that to Quinn Hughes the other night.  Did he sound satisfied with the outcome??

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Your Leafs suck. Only Dave Keon could bring them back. 

Yup. Keon was the best. Elite skill, and crazy competitive. IMHAO we have that kind of player in Petey. Petey is our Keon. Cups coming!!! 

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Your Leafs suck. Only Dave Keon could bring them back. 

Showed Mrs Alf some of Petey’s highlights, including his hard on puck play and she even said that’s Dave Keon. I wonder, sometimes reading posts on our fan forum, if Canuck fans actually realize just how special Petey is? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Showed Mrs Alf some of Petey’s highlights, including his hard on puck play and she even said that’s Dave Keon. I wonder, sometimes reading posts on our fan forum, if Canuck fans actually realize just how special Petey is? 

Petey is our Alien, very special!

How I feel having him on the Canucks and seeing him do Petey things:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Super19 said:

Petey is our Alien, very special!

How I feel having him on the Canucks and seeing him do Petey things:

Petey, Petey he’s our man. If he can’t do it (bring home a Cup) no one can! Go Petey!!! 

• Upvote 1