[GDT] Around the NHL [January 2024]

31 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

We and them may have to battle in out in the conference finals. I'm getting ahead of myself..

That'd be neat, Winnipeg is one of the Canadian teams I passively root for

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That'd be neat, Winnipeg is one of the Canadian teams I passively root for

They are closing in on the most games in a row giving up 2 or less goals.  14 games.  Only once in their last 22 and that was an OT goal, losing 3-2.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

McDavid got away with a crosscheck off the faceoff, but hot foots it away from Gourde while going up ice. Gourde gives up about twenty pounds and 5 inches. Bloody coward!

Oilers lose this game if the chicken s@$# gets called he was doing it the whole game.  Actual disgrace to the sport.  Then the league goes WAY overboard when Gourde takes it out on Ekholm.

Oils won another game. This is crazy. Can someone who has actually watched their recent games please tell me it's a team riding on momentum and not actually they're playing defense for 60 min consistently? Otherwise it's scary....

And they have a relatively easy opponents for the next 3 games, then they play Vegas. What a script it would be if it's the Golden Knights who stops them.

39 minutes ago, Wing said:

Oils won another game. This is crazy. Can someone who has actually watched their recent games please tell me it's a team riding on momentum and not actually they're playing defense for 60 min consistently? Otherwise it's scary....

And they have a relatively easy opponents for the next 3 games, then they play Vegas. What a script it would be if it's the Golden Knights who stops them.

The last time they gave up over two goals was 30 days ago against New York.  The last time they actually lost a game was 33 days ago against the other New York.  Goaltenders and defencemen can have momentum too.

Doesn't matter if Vegas stops them (and they've slid a bit too).  The Oilers have steamrolled their way back into the playoffs, as some of us expected.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

The last time they gave up over two goals was 30 days ago against New York.  The last time they actually lost a game was 33 days ago against the other New York.  Goaltenders and defencemen can have momentum too.

Doesn't matter if Vegas stops them (and they've slid a bit too).  The Oilers have steamrolled their way back into the playoffs, as some of us expected.

Oilers gonna Oil. Been saying this for a while now. 

They are a chaotically good streaky team. High highs and low lows but you see the highs more often. 

All of Edmonton, LA, and Vegas won last night too

Wouldn't be shocked to see four Pacific teams make it 

Colorado, Winnipeg, and Dallas won too

Arizona refuses to go away, so does St. Louis

Lot if congestion around those last two spots

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nathan MacKinnon is running away with the Hart trophy. And Quinn Hughes is running away with the Norris trophy. 

He's hardly running away with it.  Makar has a better points per game than Hughes.  I'd say it's neck and neck

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Oilers gonna Oil. Been saying this for a while now. 

They are a chaotically good streaky team. High highs and low lows but you see the highs more often. 

Said it back in November when the Canucks were playing poorly.  The Oilers were starting to find their game and that they would end up in a divisional spot.  Luckily the Canucks found their game again.

Great thing about the Oil doing well, is they are so far behind, it is so hard to make up ground.

They go on an epic, record winning streak,  and gained a whole 3 points compared to the Canucks.

Those games in hand might turn out to be very important though- win those and they are only 5 points back.

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Great thing about the Oil doing well, is they are so far behind, it is so hard to make up ground.

They go on an epic, record winning streak,  and gained a whole 3 points compared to the Canucks.

Those games in hand might turn out to be very important though- win those and they are only 5 points back.

Yep let them beat the shit out of the rest of the Pacific. We hold the tie breaker on them even if they beat us later this year. I hope they face Winnipeg in round 1 and get pounded physically.

• Cheers 1

The Oilers are better than their start to the season, but worse than their recent run. 

They are on the right side of the playoff bubble TODAY. I expect them to remain around the playoff bubble the remainder of the year.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He's hardly running away with it.  Makar has a better points per game than Hughes.  I'd say it's neck and neck

Hughes has 56 in 46, Makar has 54 in 42

Lot of runway for things to shift