[GDT] Around the NHL [January 2024]

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

that depends on how ou look at it.. we have the 3rd hardest schedule remaining in the league by point%. oilers have the 20th. 17 of the final 35 is against the top teams colorado dallas vegas la edmonton carolina winnipeg boston.. if we look a little further 30 of the 35 games are against teams that are in a playoff spot or still have a shot at playoff. edmonton only have 29 games vs teams that are still in the hunt or in a playoff spot even though they still have 40 games to go and only 14 of those against the top tier teams i've listed earlier.. based on the schedule alone.. it's not that hard to think edmonton won't be able to make up 6 points.. it all depends on how we do in the next month.. the schedule all of a sudden gets really tough.. are the canucks still going to be able to maintain their insane shooting %. if i'm a betting man i would say no because we are shooting at well above the league high in the last like 10+ years there's like couple season of 12% ish.. majority is 11.5 and below we are at like 13.5% or something.. we are bound to have a regression at some point it's just a matter of when and how much.. and hopefully it's against the weaker teams and not the strong teams so we can still win with low shooting %

Yeah, the oilers schedule on the back 9 is pretty soft.

29 minutes ago, Tecumseh said:

I really hope Vegas and Oilers can beat up each other in the first round. Then we come in and finish either one of them in the second round. Best case scenario for me.

That's a long long way from being a thing.  The oilers are in hot pursuit of Van at this point 

So Canucks with the 5th toughest scheduled for the remainder of the season, Oilers with the 18th, Vegas with the 21st and Kings with the 29th.  It's going to be a tough row to hoe for Van to finish on top of the Pacific

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, stawns said:

So Canucks with the 5th toughest scheduled for the remainder of the season, Oilers with the 18th, Vegas with the 21st and Kings with the 29th.  It's going to be a tough row to hoe for Van to finish on top of the Pacific

I do think the Kings rebound and eventually secure a spot

I think 4 Pacific teams make it 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I do think the Kings rebound and eventually secure a spot

I think 4 Pacific teams make it 

I agree, how it all shakes down will be interesting to watch.  I.think it's going to be tough for van to hold off the oilers and vegas

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, how it all shakes down will be interesting to watch.  I.think it's going to be tough for van to hold off the oilers and vegas

I'm not gonna count as us being divisional champs as a sure thing either, all it'd take is a major injury and things could change quickly 

Vegas seems to be maintaining momentum without Eichel, Edmonton is the hottest team going 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Oilers have allowed three goals or less in 16 straight games

They've allowed 2 goals or less in their last 12 games..

Allowed 17 goals in last 12 games for GAA 1.4 per game..

I've watched most of those games.. defensive juggernaut since the new coach came in..  they shut down the opposing team when they want. Last night vs CBJ they came out in 3rd and allowed 1 sog for like 10+ minutes.  Completely took CBJ out of the game.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not an Oil fan by any stretch, but their coaching staff has done a much better job at getting more out of the players they have. 

I think the Ekholm addition also plays a part, I don't think that was an insignificant addition. Nurse is absolutely overpaid, but he may not be as awful as he's been made out to be either. Even Skinner is looking capable, whereas if you ask me earlier in the season I'd probably have said the Oil should be looking for yet another solution in net. 

It's interesting, we've seen some of the same here as well. Boeser's gone from being a guy who should be shipped out to a guy folks think should stay going forward. It's hard to pin the good and the bad on players or coaches, sometimes it's one or the other, sometimes it's a bit of both. 

If nothing else, the Oilers players bought in and the results have been positive for them. 

That was pathetic, but if the Jets are missing some big names like that, perhaps less surprising.

Perhaps more sad is that the Leafs were that lame too, given the weaker opposition.

Only saw last half of the 3rd, onward. Reffing near the end there was questionable with that lame tripping call against the Jets as Willy wilted easily, and then no interference call on Matthews as he takes out a defender while skating by. Was impressed they made the call when Appleton was tripped, but those two PPs for the Jets were just plain awful.