[GDT] Around the NHL [January 2024]

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

They've allowed 2 goals or less in their last 12 games..

Allowed 17 goals in last 12 games for GAA 1.4 per game..

I've watched most of those games.. defensive juggernaut since the new coach came in..  they shut down the opposing team when they want. Last night vs CBJ they came out in 3rd and allowed 1 sog for like 10+ minutes.  Completely took CBJ out of the game.

anyone without bias could see this coming.  The Oilers were never not a top contender

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

We are blessed with Hughes but Makar is just on a different level.

Mac finished sith four and an assist, damn

Hughes is having a fantastic season, arguably a better season, but I do think Makar is the better player

If Hughes let's up even a little Makar is right there points wise 

Hughes 59 in 48

Makar 57 in 43

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Does Edmonton ever face good teams? I swear they've played Chicago/SJ like 5 times on this streak. 

When their streak started pretty much every team was ahead of them in the standings.

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wow, what the heck was he thinking.

I doubt he was. There's no excuse to throw a hit like that. He should be sitting for awhile. I'd be shocked if it wasn't an in person hearing 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

And the 2 games prior were a SO win against LA & a 5-0 win against SJ.

They got Nashville & Vegas next, followed by another run of ANA/LA/DET. Will be interesting to see how long they can keep doing this. 

Should make it 16 against Nashville, that’ll be the second longest streak tying Columbus. To tie for the longest with the Penguins they’ll need to beat Vegas, who they beat for their firs win of the streak so Vegas will be out to put an end to it. Should they win this one it’ll be the Ducks for a new record.

Oilers win 3 - 0

Picard got the shutout today. 

15th win in a row

3rd longest win streak in NHL history. WoW

Haven't allowed more than 2 goals in a game and averaging only 1.3 goals against per game last 13 games.. 

2 sog in final 10 minutes by Chicago. They did similar thing to CBJ last game.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Oilers win 3 - 0

Picard got the shutout today. 

15th win in a row

3rd longest win streak in NHL history. WoW

Haven't allowed more than 2 goals in a game and averaging only 1.3 goals against per game last 13 games.. 

2 sog in final 10 minutes by Chicago. They did similar thing to CBJ last game.

They’re a pretty good team when they get goaltending and it’s hot right now but it is a fickle position.

14 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

They’re a pretty good team when they get goaltending and it’s hot right now but it is a fickle position.

They're shooting in the foot by playing over their heads.  They really need to find a way to bring in a second NHL defenceman to go with Ekholm.  They're getting lucky, blut that blueline will get exposed in the playoffs with an ECHLer, a PWHLerm, and 3 AHLers.

20 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Should make it 16 against Nashville, that’ll be the second longest streak tying Columbus. To tie for the longest with the Penguins they’ll need to beat Vegas, who they beat for their firs win of the streak so Vegas will be out to put an end to it. Should they win this one it’ll be the Ducks for a new record.

I wouldn't be so sure, they haven't been playing great the last few games against bottom feeders like CHI & CBJ.

If Chicago had any offense whatsoever they could've lost this one. Nashville will be a step up from the last few, but they do have McD so we'll see.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Does Edmonton ever face good teams? I swear they've played Chicago/SJ like 5 times on this streak. 

lol coz they had one of the toughest schedule to start the season.. they have one of the softest schedule from now till the end of the season

I'm really surprised (or maybe surprised that I didn't search properly) that the Gallagher hit is not mentioned.

I liked Gallagher's game in the past, but this is absolutely INEXCUSABLE. Super dirty hit. This should be a full season ban - and it might not even be enough of a punishment really.

This play should not be a 5 game or something weak. Montreal is pretty much out of a playoff spot and Gallagher's suspension for the remainder of the season might not make much of an impact.

IF Shane Pinto can get a half season ban for gambling, this hit SURELY deserves that, AT LEAST.

I have no dogs in this race. I am simply calling a spade for a spade.

On the plus side, LOTS of Habs fans are disgusted about this hit. They all agree on a suspension of some kind. Their fans are right. No one should be defending this kind of hit, regardless of the team. I'd 100 percent crucify any Canuck player if they did this crap.