[GDT] Around the NHL [January 2024]

2 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

I'm really surprised (or maybe surprised that I didn't search properly) that the Gallagher hit is not mentioned.

I liked Gallagher's game in the past, but this is absolutely INEXCUSABLE. Super dirty hit. This should be a full season ban - and it might not even be enough of a punishment really.

This play should not be a 5 game or something weak. Montreal is pretty much out of a playoff spot and Gallagher's suspension for the remainder of the season might not make much of an impact.

IF Shane Pinto can get a half season ban for gambling, this hit SURELY deserves that, AT LEAST.

I have no dogs in this race. I am simply calling a spade for a spade.

On the plus side, LOTS of Habs fans are disgusted about this hit. They all agree on a suspension of some kind. Their fans are right. No one should be defending this kind of hit, regardless of the team. I'd 100 percent crucify any Canuck player if they did this crap.

It's a dirty, indefensible hit. But 41 games? Come on. There is zero precident for that kind-of suspension for a hit like this.  Gallagher has never been suspended before.  It'll be 5-6 games. More than that and Gallagher will appeal, and win. 

Edited by qwijjibo

5 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

It's a dirty, indefensible hit. But 41 games? Come on. There is zero precident for that kind-of suspension for a hit like this.  Gallagher has never been suspended before.  It'll be 5-6 games. More than that and Gallagher will appeal, and win. 

Actually there is a precedent. Aaron Rome (in the playoffs) got 4 games, which is a SIGNIFICANT amount of time when converted into season games. Rome also had not received any suspension.

But since the whole wheel of justice is arbitrary at this point, there is no need for a precedent, really.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Gallagher gets a phone hearing, which means the max suspension is 5 games.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-gallagher-to-have-hearing-for-hit-to-head-on-islanders-pelech/

IMO, that seems light.  Considering his history (or lack there of), I would've gone 8.  There is no excuse for a hit like that.

It is light. Blatant, dirty hit. Knew what he was doing and didn't hold up.

It's stupid that players are allowed to get off light, because reputation when they do something this bad.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Actually there is a precedent. Aaron Rome (in the playoffs) got 4 games, which is a SIGNIFICANT amount of time when converted into season games. Rome also had not received any suspension.

But since the whole wheel of justice is arbitrary at this point, there is no need for a precedent, really.

4 games is not 41 games.  Not even close 

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Gallagher gets a phone hearing, which means the max suspension is 5 games.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-gallagher-to-have-hearing-for-hit-to-head-on-islanders-pelech/

IMO, that seems light.  Considering his history (or lack there of), I would've gone 8.  There is no excuse for a hit like that.

He's literally never been suspended before. So I'm not sure what history you're referring to 

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

He's literally never been suspended before. So I'm not sure what history you're referring to 

Yes, that's why I tacked on the "lack there of".  The hit is really bad,  I'm not sure a clean history should drop the suspension too much.

8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Hill is back.  Rangers goalie haven't been very good of late.   

I thought losing Eichel would hurt them more but they've actually had a pretty solid stretch

They actually have more significant injuries than I'd have guessed 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Our division will finish

US

Knights

Soilers

Kings will miss the playoffs. 

I could see the Oil passing Vegas

I reckon LA makes it, but it'll probably be via a wildcard unless they go on a heater or two 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I reckon LA makes it, but it'll probably be via a wildcard unless they go on a heater or two 

Could be Us v the Kings? One vs Eight. Vegas v Soilers. 

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Now that Vegas is getting healthier, they will go on a run of their own.  Oils will lose eventually.  Maybe during Perry's debut.   

Those head to head games between Nux vs VGK will be a big test and may decide the div title. Nux need to keep on winning and banking pts until they meet.  

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Now that Vegas is getting healthier, they will go on a run of their own.  Oils will lose eventually.  Maybe during Perry's debut.   

Those head to head games between Nux vs VGK will be a big test and may decide the div title. Nux need to keep on winning and banking pts until they meet.  

We are better than any club in the league because our core is better and we have Demko. Empties are predicting 3 Cups during the Hughes era. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could be Us v the Kings? One vs Eight. Vegas v Soilers. 

Could be

8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

You'll probs be right, I do expect we'll have a losing stretch at some point too, divisional match ups will be big

We've also been uncharacteristically healthy this season

4 minutes ago, Dom said:

The Kings are being massacred by the Avs. 

I am unabashedly rooting for Mac to win the Hart and Art Ross, Kucherov can screw off

I hope he has another big night

Edited by Coconuts