[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 2nd, 7:00PM PT | HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024!

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Lets be real, its a good thing they did because we’d be the ones taking penalties trying to get the puck back. Hardly had any possession from 2nd period onward

Except we still crushed them in high danger chances 

• Upvote 1

At the end of the day, we got the 2 points. 

Lots of factors, it was 5-0 at the end of the first and maybe they did take their foot off the gas. Lots of reasons why... they didn't want to humiliate the Sens and wanted to just close it out. Momentum changed and it was hard to get it back.

I am confident that the team would not play this way if it were a 1-0 or 2-1 lead.

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You think Tochett wants them to rest and conserve their energy for the road trip. That’s just silly.

You are acting like a bunch of newbie hockey fans on here...

Tocchet has been around elite teams. He was one of my favorite players in the late 80s...

He knows you don't blow your load on a young team being up 5 goals. You save that energy for the grueling 7 game road trip coming up...

The whole team,  every player on the ice knew what they were doing. So does the coaching staff...

You build a 5g lead on a young team you coast to victory..  

No need to go 100% all the time.  It's impossible to do and would be stupid risking injuries and getting fatigued before the playoffs even start...

It's a 82 game season. You save your energy when you are elite and plan on doing things in the playoffs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

60 minutes guys.

60 minutes.

Playing 60-minute hockey has been such an elusive concept for this franchise historically.

Thankfully we have watched a team pretty close to the form than not this season, but there's still a long way to go.

Edited by 1-d

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I’ll take the 2 points, but theres definitely things that need to be worked on. Maybe its just a bit of rust to shake off, but the last 2 periods were a bit ugly

meh....any team up by 5 goals will naturally slow down or play more defense first.

for the majority of the game they played a good tight checking game.  No, they can't let up like that against top teams.  But I don't think Tocc will be too displeased.

• Like 1

Team got a little too relaxed after the first period and gave Ottawa life.

As I mentioned before, this Ottawa team is better player wise than their record.

They should be challenging for the Division.

Hughes and Hronek were sloppy defensively, and had problems with clearing the net front... too many goals from rebound scrambles allowed.  Myers and Zadorov were better than last game and did a good job of controlling the boards.  Big Z still as a tendency to try to wander down ice too much... should be shooting it in 99% of the time, instead of trying to carry it across the blue line a couple times a period.

Pettersson a good bounce back game... his goals were a little flukey or lucky, but he's been unlucky lately in not hitting the back of the net on some of his shots so it evened out.

Pius Suter maybe the best player in both directions.  Tocchet has a dilemma... he needs a good center on the 4th line, Aman is not that guy... on the other hand, when Suter is pulled from centering the grinders and put on the wing on the first or second line he does good things.

Solution is finding another good 4th line center.

Don't like Lafferty on the Pettersson line.

• Like 1

Suter is such a smart player. So reliable defensively. 

I wish we had a top 4 shutdown d we could pair Hughes with. Hughes Hronek pair makes me real nervous in the d zone sometimes. 

• -AJ- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
4 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

At the end of the day, we got the 2 points. 

Lots of factors, it was 5-0 at the end of the first and maybe they did take their foot off the gas. Lots of reasons why... they didn't want to humiliate the Sens and wanted to just close it out. Momentum changed and it was hard to get it back.

I am confident that the team would not play this way if it were a 1-0 or 2-1 lead.

They didn’t want to humiliate the Sens? I don’t think that was the reason. Why did they want to humiliate oilers 10-1 or sharks 10-2? They took their foot off the gas because this team has a problem playing a full 60 minute game. They’ve done it a few times this year. Hopefully they break the habit soon. 

2 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Hronek not very good at defending, need a top RD still

I agree. That Hughes/hronek pairing isn’t that good defensively (mostly due to Hronek). Would love to add 1 top RD

1 minute ago, CanuckMan said:

They didn’t want to humiliate the Sens? I don’t think that was the reason. Why did they want to humiliate oilers 10-1 or sharks 10-2? They took their foot off the gas because this team has a problem playing a full 60 minute game. They’ve done it a few times this year. Hopefully they break the habit soon. 

The refs took the Canucks foot off the gas

• ThereItIs 1