[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 2nd, 7:00PM PT | HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024!

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

The refs took the Canucks foot off the gas

No brother. The Canucks took the Canucks foot off the gas. They play a great 40 minutes every game. One period usually they play bad. Now whether that’s the 1st, 2nd or 3rd period is interchangeable. It’s usually a bad start or a bad finish.

2 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

They didn’t want to humiliate the Sens? I don’t think that was the reason. Why did they want to humiliate oilers 10-1 or sharks 10-2? They took their foot off the gas because this team has a problem playing a full 60 minute game. They’ve done it a few times this year. Hopefully they break the habit soon. 

Such a bad Take ,nit pickey we’re winning and u nit pick,have fun with that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CanuckMan said:

No brother. The Canucks took the Canucks foot off the gas. They play a great 40 minutes every game. One period usually they play bad. Now whether that’s the 1st, 2nd or 3rd period is interchangeable. It’s usually a bad start or a bad finish.

The Canucks should have had at least 2 pp's that weren't called

Because of our huge lead

1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

Such a bad Take ,nit pickey we’re winning and u nit pick,have fun with that

lol maybe read the post I was replying to first. Buddy said the Canucks took the foot off the gas because they didn’t want to embarrass the sens. I gave an example of where Canucks won by a bigger margin.

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The refs managed the game after the big lead.

Hard to keep playing hard when they keep moving the goal posts

What are they going to get away with now?

Makes us play for safely first then.

I think it is because the game for the rest of Canada was on TSN, the Ottawa edition... To be fair, they did OOH and AHH at the Canucks for the first period but then really tried pumping the tires on Ottawa the rest of the game.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

lol maybe read the post I was replying to first. Buddy said the Canucks took the foot off the gas because they didn’t want to embarrass the sens. I gave an example of where Canucks won by a bigger margin.

All good not trying to be offensive just excited for the win

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Refs literally put the whistles away too 

Should donate their ill gotten gains to charity so something good comes from their abominable reffing job.

26 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I agree. That Hughes/hronek pairing isn’t that good defensively (mostly due to Hronek). Would love to add 1 top RD

We do not have roster space, but I think Woo needs to try that spot. but its not like you can just send down soucy and cole to make room.

10 minutes ago, KILLER said:

Should donate their ill gotten gains to charity so something good comes from their abominable reffing job.

nah, better to save up favors for the playoffs. There will be alot owed to us by then... we will own half the refs.

6 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

I was there they played for one. For the last two they sucked - Ottawa was clearly working harder and scored three goals to one over the last 2 periods and deserved to win the game - we had so many fluky  goals

and we were outshot by the WORST TEAM in the east 

I’m never gonna pay for a ticket to watch them mail it in for 2/3rd of the game fuck that shit…no sir no how no way

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS

6 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

Talk about sitting on a lead.......Sigh

Yup a shit game and waste of my money - I was there 

can’t stand this sorta performance 

The bums mailed it in for 2/3rds of the game 

4 of our goals were flukes

This teams needs to wake up or it’s a first round exit 

they don’t care…

they won’t ever get my money ever again

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

No man... no one was getting mauled.  It was an easy win. 

An elite team doesn't waste all its energy beating up on a young team after taking a 5 - 0 lead..

They have a 7 game road trip coming up.  They were up by 5.  You coast to a win. No need to burn more energy than needed. 

Easy night easy win.  

An elite team doesnt take their foot off the gas.

An elite team doesnt allow room for hope. 
We let them back in the game for 2 periods. Had it not been for Suter’s fluke goal and Demko’s glove and blocker, the final few minutes would have been so much more stressful. 
The reality is we played like shit after the 1st. Our passing was not ahead of the man it was directly at the man, we couldnt skate onto a lot our passes. We had to slowdown and take the pass and then we we’re getting checked and shut down in the neutral zone and it was going right back up the ice and into our end. Plenty of bad passes and giveaways, lots of lost man coverage. We breathed life into our victim and gave them a pulse which kept beating stronger and stronger as the game went on.

You got cocky after 1 period and Ottawa gave you a reminder there is still plenty of hockey left and showed the kind of potential that hockey club has.

Also conserve energy?? We have played 2 games in a week. We dont play til Thursday. A 5-0 lead is a perfect opportunity to keep exercising our system at full throttle and aim to perfect it. Save your energy at practice, dial back the intensity and focus on execution. You wanna form bad habits and mail it in after every 3+ goal lead, you’ll find yourself in trouble eventually and in playoffs, squandering a 3+ goal lead is a massive L. Play a full 60, fuck sportsmanship and taking it easy after a big lead. Keep running it up and never show any signs of letting up or allowing any room for hope.

• Cheers 1

Well seems to me that some teams don't want to run up the score too badly so it doesn't get dirty, however if that's the case and you want to sit on a lead you better be exceptional on team D and clearly we aren't yet, sure we're better than we have been but still nowhere near what a elite team is like that and obviously it's the whole team not just the D and goalie. Have I been bitching about this for years? Yep, I hated it when people just jumped on our goalies and D without a second thought that it has to be forwards as well. This is nothing new EVER!

Will it take time to work on to hone it to that point? Of course. 

Proof? Luongo, he was ousted for this very reason, he couldn't stop EVERYTHING, and when Tanev, Salo, or Edler were injured and our D didn't have much depth because we traded away our picks and prospects for the roster, then losing streaks or ousted in the first round. Our answer was better offense which didn't solve anything and was repeated over and over and over = zero cups

My main reason for being happy that Toc brought Gonchar with him and hopefully Gonchar is working with the forwards as well but I have no idea, hopefully though.

Unless the whole team plays better D, we can get as close to winning a cup as we like, it's never going to happen.