(Would you?) Q. Hughes to the Devils

Let me preface by saying I love our captain.  That being said, the Devils would love to have Q Hughes to unite all 3 brothers and get publicity like no tomorrow.  The marketing they could spin off for years and the tickets and merchandise sale would be crazy.

Of course, they would have to overpay to make this work.

Would you to be tempted, and would the Devils consider something revolving around the below?

To NJD:

Quinn Hughes

To Canucks:

Jesper Bratt

Simon Nemec

2024 1st

Edited to include pick

Edited by T. Demko

Hard no. This is always talked about but in order to make it work value wise the Canucks would need a Hughes coming back.

It would have to be a package worthy of prying Cale Makar out of Colorado. Cale Makar is probably a tad better than Hughes and a RHD... that would be the premium required for Canucks to entertain it imo. We are talking Lindros level trades here.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Why?

In no way suggesting to trade Hughes.  Just thinking what would be a realistic trade value wise because it's fun to picture 3 Hughes in a team for a decade making headlines... and it would be much easier for NJ to pry away 1 then us to take 2.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Hard no. This is always talked about but in order to make it work value wise the Canucks would need a Hughes coming back.

It would have to be a package worthy of prying Cale Makar out of Colorado. Cale Makar is probably a tad better than Hughes and a RHD... that would be the premium required for Canucks to entertain it imo. We are talking Lindros level trades here.

Absolutely, and once again, I want to preface that I'm not advocating to trade Hughes away.  He is special and I absolutely believe he will be the first Canucks captain to bring us the cup.

I'm just talking about pure value wise.  I know Nemec is not a sure thing yet, but kid is looking like he has all the makings of a solid top pairing RHD with size, and he is no slouch offensively. Bratt looks to have solidified himself as a top line LW and would be valuable on the top line with Petey.  A Bratt Petey Kuz line could be very fun.  Then a 1st to add into another area of improvement as a draft or trade a la hronek.  How much more do you think, realistically, would Devils add on their end?

Bratt is really freakin good and I like Nemec too, but I think this sacrifices too much on the back end for an improvement in scoring we don't need. On top of that, the locker room impact of trading a captain and player the team loves would be terrible.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Bratt is really freakin good and I like Nemec too, but I think this sacrifices too much on the back end for an improvement in scoring we don't need. On top of that, the locker room impact of trading a captain and player the team loves would be terrible.

Agree on the chemistry and locker room impact.

For the back end, would you say it works out better if we trade the 1st we get to Calgary for Noah Hanifin?  Would have suggested getting Dougie over the 1st while we add from our end to balance out but he is injured so.

18 minutes ago, T. Demko said:

For the back end, would you say it works out better if we trade the 1st we get to Calgary for Noah Hanifin?  Would have suggested getting Dougie over the 1st while we add from our end to balance out but he is injured so.

I personally think Hanifin is probably a bit on the overrated side, but that does at least balance our needs out a bit better. Andersson would be the dream, but he would require far more than just a 1st. You're probably better of just avoiding Bratt and getting either more picks or more help on the back end. I'd honestly be more interested in Luke Hughes, but then, at that point, it seems like a weird trade to me making at all. It just really doesn't make sense for us to be trading our franchise D. The best you get is an equal trade that doesn't really improve anything.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

are we really sacrificing too much from our backend?? Hughes is an offensive defenceman, his defence is OK by no mean is great. bratt offense prolly slightly inferior to hughes offense.. but nemec i personally think is way better than hughes defensively.. the trade wise.. offense is a wash.. defence is an improvement.. and we get a 1st on top.. value wise i think it's there.. but this is a canucks forum.. every player they'll want 4 1st rounders or something for it.. just like EP will cost chicago Bedard this years 1st + more lol.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T. Demko said:

Let me preface by saying I love our captain.  That being said, the Devils would love to have Q Hughes to unite all 3 brothers and get publicity like no tomorrow.  The marketing they could spin off for years and the tickets and merchandise sale would be crazy.

Would you to be tempted, and would the Devils consider something revolving around the below?

To NJD:

Quinn Hughes

To Canucks:

Jesper Bratt

Simon Nemec

2024 1st

Edited to include pick

And is that 2024 1st going to be a top 5 pick? No. Then hell no. 

no man GIF

1st for noah hanifin, who is struggling with addiction and consistency? its a huge gamble... takeout the addiction issues and sure its likely a fine trade, but not something to brag to your mother about..

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

are we really sacrificing too much from our backend?? Hughes is an offensive defenceman, his defence is OK by no mean is great. bratt offense prolly slightly inferior to hughes offense.. but nemec i personally think is way better than hughes defensively.. the trade wise.. offense is a wash.. defence is an improvement.. and we get a 1st on top.. value wise i think it's there.. but this is a canucks forum.. every player they'll want 4 1st rounders or something for it.. just like EP will cost chicago Bedard this years 1st + more lol.

ehhhhh.... offense from your defense is 4x important... wingers are the least important part to a good offense, then centers then defenceman run the show in 2024

5 hours ago, T. Demko said:

To NJD:

Quinn Hughes

To Canucks:

Jesper Bratt

Simon Nemec

2024 1st

Edited to include pick

If Allvin was a complete moron he still wouldn’t do this this.

How about Hoglander and our 2024 first for Jack Hughes? Seems fair. 
44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T. Demko said:

If I'm Calgary I'm expecting that 1st round pick to be very late.  That Devils team is probably going to figure their shit out and make the playoffs without Quinn Hughes.  Imagine how many wins they'll get with him onboard.

The dude is our new captain and has completely propelled the team to new heights, and we just dump him 4 months in?  Imagine if we got Jack Hughes, and all we had to give up was.... Boeser, Willander, and a 1st.  Holy shit.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

ehhhhh.... offense from your defense is 4x important... wingers are the least important part to a good offense, then centers then defenceman run the show in 2024

lol centers are less important than defence in running the offence?? o.o

while Hughes is amazing offensively I don’t think it’s going to be a massive mountain size drop off if hronek replace him on the pp1 full time as the lone defenceman. The upgrade in defence and the 1st rounder is more than worth it

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol centers are less important than defence in running the offence?? o.o

while Hughes is amazing offensively I don’t think it’s going to be a massive mountain size drop off if hronek replace him on the pp1 full time as the lone defenceman. The upgrade in defence and the 1st rounder is more than worth it

yes... except for connor mcdavid name a team that can operate without offensive defenceman, you only need 1 PP defenceman but you do need them they are the most important person on the PP and for escaping the defensive zone... after the bubble playoffs the media said we could not exit the zone... edler, tanev,Myers,Fantenberg,Hughes,Benn,stetcher we couldnt escape the zone and we got almost less than half the shots vegas got against us... a good mobile defence is key before having a offense... we also recognized that year that the strictly defensive offensive line is obsolete... all the lines need to be able to score... see our 3rd line in 2010-2011 could score torres,maholtra,lapierre had everything... Beagle,Sutter,Motte could not, the best scorer was motte on that line, and every once in a while sutter showed some brilliance but could not playwith others actually offensively that 4th line had zero chemisty...

• Vintage 1