(Would you?) Q. Hughes to the Devils

8 hours ago, T. Demko said:

In no way suggesting to trade Hughes.  Just thinking what would be a realistic trade value wise because it's fun to picture 3 Hughes in a team for a decade making headlines... and it would be much easier for NJ to pry away 1 then us to take 2.

Ah. Well if we would do something historic like this then it needs a historic return, someone the same quality as Hughes would have to come back our way, and right now they don't have that.

Edited by Bob Long

Quinn Hughes is likely a Norris candidate.  So should be equivalent to 4 x 1sts in value at least.

Holtz + Bahl + Nemec + Daws + 1st.

It’s a gamble to find/hope one that raise their game to elite levels.  At least Canucks would refill their prospects/young ELC contracts.

This proposal does not make our team better.  Quinn's offensive #s alone are similar

to Bratt's and his leadership, drive, and defensive game are over the top.  Quinn's game

is elevated no matter which top 6 line he has in front of him, or who is d partner is.

Bratt had 4 seasons of mediocre hockey before Jack Hughes came along and Jesper's

#s exploded.  The Canucks need a more physically substantial player on EPs line. A player

that does the dirty work to keep the puck in the ozone, as well as feed the puck to Petey.

Elias doesn't need (yet) another w that is dependent on him to feed him the saucer passes.

Nemec will most likely become a very good dman, but it will take some time before he

claims the top pairing spot (if ever).  He improves the RD deficiency on the team, but

there would be a gaping hole for the top pairing LD. 

I'm not sold on Bratt but Hischier, Nemec 1st and Bahl would be tempting to entertain.

However, this is the first time in our franchise history that we have a Norris caliber defenseman and I would rather keep Hughes

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

1st for noah hanifin, who is struggling with addiction and consistency? its a huge gamble... takeout the addiction issues and sure its likely a fine trade, but not something to brag to your mother about..

I wouldn't brag about any hockey deal to my mom.  She's clueless when it comes to hockey.

12 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If I'm Calgary I'm expecting that 1st round pick to be very late.  That Devils team is probably going to figure their shit out and make the playoffs without Quinn Hughes.  Imagine how many wins they'll get with him onboard.

The dude is our new captain and has completely propelled the team to new heights, and we just dump him 4 months in?  Imagine if we got Jack Hughes, and all we had to give up was.... Boeser, Willander, and a 1st.  Holy shit.

I get ya, once again, not proposing to get rid of Hughes.  Just a fun thought as a hockey fan to imagine seeing 3 Hughes on the same team making headlines for a decade.

That being said, Bratt and Nemec are the better players for sure, with Nemec being a wild card to potentially turn into a franchise D as well.  The 1st would also be higher than ours!

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol centers are less important than defence in running the offence?? o.o

while Hughes is amazing offensively I don’t think it’s going to be a massive mountain size drop off if hronek replace him on the pp1 full time as the lone defenceman. The upgrade in defence and the 1st rounder is more than worth it

If the 1st is flipped for Hanifin I think we have a very deep D poised for playoff with good size.

Hanifin - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Nemec

Cole - Juulsen

(Add Willander and DeP to the future mix)

Also forwards look exiciting

Bratt - Petey - Kuzmenko (Lekkerimaki to replace Kuz later for all Swedish line)

Mik - JTM - Boeser

Joshua - Blu - Garland

Hogs - Suter- Lafferty

Demko

DeSmith

We could package Hogs + 1st to get an upgrade on Hanifin bit I think he stabilizes it for now.

9 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

yes... except for connor mcdavid name a team that can operate without offensive defenceman, you only need 1 PP defenceman but you do need them they are the most important person on the PP and for escaping the defensive zone... after the bubble playoffs the media said we could not exit the zone... edler, tanev,Myers,Fantenberg,Hughes,Benn,stetcher we couldnt escape the zone and we got almost less than half the shots vegas got against us... a good mobile defence is key before having a offense... we also recognized that year that the strictly defensive offensive line is obsolete... all the lines need to be able to score... see our 3rd line in 2010-2011 could score torres,maholtra,lapierre had everything... Beagle,Sutter,Motte could not, the best scorer was motte on that line, and every once in a while sutter showed some brilliance but could not playwith others actually offensively that 4th line had zero chemisty...

I agree mobile D is extremely important.  That being said, Nemec is an excellent PMD as well and has QBed PP throughout his career.  He is no Hughes in that department but wanted to point out he is no slouch as well.

9 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Ah. Well if we would do something historic like this then it needs a historic return, someone the same quality as Hughes would have to come back our way, and right now they don't have that.

I love my Hughes over theirs, but I'd say Jack is generational as well

29 minutes ago, T. Demko said:

I get ya, once again, not proposing to get rid of Hughes.  Just a fun thought as a hockey fan to imagine seeing 3 Hughes on the same team making headlines for a decade.

That being said, Bratt and Nemec are the better players for sure, with Nemec being a wild card to potentially turn into a franchise D as well.  The 1st would also be higher than ours!

You're right.  Our first round pick doesn't hold much value either.  The problem with this is that we have a surefire franchise defenceman in Quinn Hughes already.  We already know how well he fits into our system and his ceiling is astronomically high.  You can't give that up unless you are absolutely certain you can get that back.  Nemec has the potential to be a franchise D-man.  Why are you trading a 24 year old franchise D-man for potential?  That is a pure rebuild move.  Why are rebuilding right now?

9 hours ago, BPA said:

Quinn Hughes is likely a Norris candidate.  So should be equivalent to 4 x 1sts in value at least.

Holtz + Bahl + Nemec + Daws + 1st.

It’s a gamble to find/hope one that raise their game to elite levels.  At least Canucks would refill their prospects/young ELC contracts.

Damn really cleaning their prospects board haha

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

This proposal does not make our team better.  Quinn's offensive #s alone are similar

to Bratt's and his leadership, drive, and defensive game are over the top.  Quinn's game

is elevated no matter which top 6 line he has in front of him, or who is d partner is.

Bratt had 4 seasons of mediocre hockey before Jack Hughes came along and Jesper's

#s exploded.  The Canucks need a more physically substantial player on EPs line. A player

that does the dirty work to keep the puck in the ozone, as well as feed the puck to Petey.

Elias doesn't need (yet) another w that is dependent on him to feed him the saucer passes.

Nemec will most likely become a very good dman, but it will take some time before he

claims the top pairing spot (if ever).  He improves the RD deficiency on the team, but

there would be a gaping hole for the top pairing LD. 

To be fair Jack Hughes didn't blow it out of the gate and both Hughes and Bratt propelled each other to the next level.

Bratt doesn't depend on Hughes.  Absolutely does not hurt to play with Hughes, but Bratt is good enough to be the driving playmaker on his line and he also can score some slick goals.  

I've been watching their games closely this year and Bratt is absolutely a stud. Kind of like a Marner light, he can absolutely create plays as a winger and he often makes beautiful plays to J. Hughes on his goals.

That being said, like you stated, would love to see a physical winger a la Bertuzzi on EPs wing.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

You're right.  Our first round pick doesn't hold much value either.  The problem with this is that we have a surefire franchise defenceman in Quinn Hughes already.  We already know how well he fits into our system and his ceiling is astronomically high.  You can't give that up unless you are absolutely certain you can get that back.  Nemec has the potential to be a franchise D-man.  Why are you trading a 24 year old franchise D-man for potential?  That is a pure rebuild move.  Why are rebuilding right now?

To fulfill my fantasy of seeing 3 Hughes under the same team of course!

I also think it isn't really a rebuild, but spreading talent throughout the roster.  Like @wai_lai416 stated, we lose the better phenom in QH but we do get that offense back in Bratt (and him and EP can be magic), while adding more size and defense with Nemec, and the 1st flipped to someone like Hanifin to balance out the blue line.  I really don't think this is a step back on paper.  Of course, we are not accounting the leadership, lockerroom, and other intangibles ... but once again, this is strictly theoretical!

1 hour ago, T. Demko said:

To fulfill my fantasy of seeing 3 Hughes under the same team of course!

I also think it isn't really a rebuild, but spreading talent throughout the roster.  Like @wai_lai416 stated, we lose the better phenom in QH but we do get that offense back in Bratt (and him and EP can be magic), while adding more size and defense with Nemec, and the 1st flipped to someone like Hanifin to balance out the blue line.  I really don't think this is a step back on paper.  Of course, we are not accounting the leadership, lockerroom, and other intangibles ... but once again, this is strictly theoretical!

Have another drink.