PGT - Senaturds at Canucks - 01/02/24

PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, Rocket-68 said:

The guy in the middle looked like Prince Charles to me 

at first glance 

LOL

I know he's had some work done on his face and the hair has turned but c'mon man, that's The Great One.

I still remember when he was an Oiler and someone even so much as looked at him sideways.  Dave Semenko and company made sure you never made that mistake again.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

I never noticed before but isn't that our two biggest flops in the last 10 years behind JT?  Joulevi and Virtanen?

Kind of ironic group shot.  Those two are the opposite examples of how hard work on the ice pays off. 

Miller isn't what I'd call a superstar in the league. Even with his impressive point totals this season, he's not flashy, or a wizard with the puck like Petey. He just works hard, every shift (for the most part). With great hockey smarts on the ice. A consistent 1+ point a game player.  Those two goofballs behind him laughing were never close to approaching his commitment to what it takes to win, that he stands for on this team.

Miller was a good find by Benning. He done did good there.

JT has an all around skill set that very few in the league have. Guy just does everything above average with a lot of grit. He has a lot  of Linden/Naslund/Kesler/ built in his dna. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

The upcoming road trip is hellacious. It will test us, it, hopefully will bring out the best in everyone. Maybe we need this.  I wouldn't go so far that it will dictate 

whether or not we get a good seeding in the playoffs but close. We need to clean a few things up and some of the teams we'll be taking on are good, very good.

Level of excitement :

Canucks go 3-3-1 ... Meh

Canucks go 4-3-0 ... respectable, not acceptable but respectable

Canucks go 5-2-0 or 5-1-1 and Hell YA! ... my prediction

Canucks go 6-0-1 or 6-1-0 ... Stand up and SALUTE

Canucks go 7-0-0 then hunt down Drance and 

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I know he's had some work done on his face and the hair has turned but c'mon man, that's The Great One.

I still remember when he was an Oiler and someone even so much as looked at him sideways.  Dave Semenko and company made sure you never made that mistake again.

There are probably 10 athletes in the world that I could recognize and notice right away in a crowd and Wayne is top 3 in my mind. 

Tiger

MJ

Wayne

Shaq

LeBron

Messi

Ronaldo

Sid

Tyson

Usain Bolt

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

JT has an all around skill set that very few in the league have. Guy just does everything above average with a lot of grit. He has a lot  of Linden/Naslund/Kesler/ built in his dna. 

I dig where you're going with this but Naslund wasn't anything like Kesler.  Forsberg on the other hand....

9 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

There are probably 10 athletes in the world that I could recognize and notice right away in a crowd and Wayne is top 3 in my mind. 

Tiger

MJ

Wayne

Shaq

LeBron

Messi

Ronaldo

Sid

Tyson

Usain Bolt

Dennis Rodman kind of stands out too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I dig where you're going with this but Naslund wasn't anything like Kesler.  Forsberg on the other hand....

I was saying JT has a bit of all three of their attributes built into his game. And yes I see some Forsberg in him also 

2 hours ago, RichterBelmont said:

They got the W which is awesome. But the last 2 periods were a little concerning. Have to start playing a full 60 minutes consistently.

Honestly, every player and every team manages their minutes. You don't get as pumped up to play crap trams, sometimes it bites you, generally not. Nobody can get game-day jacked 82 games a year, this is not the NFL where you prepare all week for one opponent and one game for only 16-weeks. Also, maybe a team doesn't go all-out when they're up 5-0 after the first. The fact is no human could play 100% every minute of every game 82 games a year plus playoffs. It's not humanly possible. So if the team takes a period or two off here or there so they have gas the tank for the better teams, and they still win pretty easily, so be it. The Canucks are winning, which is more than I can say for Vegas currently.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

I was saying JT has a bit of all three of their attributes built into his game. And yes I see some Forsberg in him also 

Makes sense.  A decade later, I realize how much of a unique person Kesler was.  So competitive....more so than JT and by a large margin when I think of it.  Not only did Kesler saran-wrap his checks for an entire game, but he would tell guys on the other team to say hi to their wives for him.  JT is competitive, but Kesler was on a whole other level.  There's another couple of examples below as well.  Dang.....that Canucks era really is tough to beat from an entertainment perspective.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=73032

https://brobible.com/sports/article/nhl-ryan-kesler-john-tortorella-near-fight-story/

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ryan-kesler-canucks-cut-off-finger

28 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

Tiger

MJ

Wayne

Shaq

LeBron

Messi

Ronaldo

Sid

Tyson

Usain Bolt

I wouldn't recognize Messi or Ronoldo if they walked up to me and introduced themselves, I'm not into auto racing...I know they play kickball. I would replace them with Messier, and Howe.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan

I don’t care how you win, get those 2 points in the bank.

A tough road trip against really good teams coming up, going .500 over the next couple weeks would be a great result.

16 out of a possible 20 points in the last 10 games while the team wasn’t firing on all cylinders has been impressive. Tied as the hottest team in the league over that stretch. 

Teams are already running out of runway to knock us out of top three in the division.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

40 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Level of excitement :

Canucks go 3-3-1 ... Meh

Canucks go 4-3-0 ... respectable, not acceptable but respectable

Canucks go 5-2-0 or 5-1-1 and Hell YA! ... my prediction

Canucks go 6-0-1 or 6-1-0 ... Stand up and SALUTE

Canucks go 7-0-0 then hunt down Drance and 

giphy.gif

Smacking a woman is not appropriate.

19 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Makes sense.  A decade later, I realize how much of a unique person Kesler was.  So competitive....more so than JT and by a large margin when I think of it.  Not only did Kesler saran-wrap his checks for an entire game, but he would tell guys on the other team to say hi to their wives for him.  JT is competitive, but Kesler was on a whole other level.  There's another couple of examples below as well.  Dang.....that Canucks era really is tough to beat from an entertainment perspective.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=73032

https://brobible.com/sports/article/nhl-ryan-kesler-john-tortorella-near-fight-story/

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ryan-kesler-canucks-cut-off-finger

Yeah, and I remember Kes and Burr as Frick and Frack. hahahaha

31 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Comments on tonight's game:

1. The coach, the players, and the media have all made the point that the Canucks had a great first period and then were not very good in the last two. They had some lucky bounces to go up 5-0 in the first, but they deserved to be up at least 3-0. Natural Stat Trick had the scoring chances at 14-4 in the Canucks' favor. Every line was good, and the D pairs were also good. Most of the Ottawa shots were "low-danger". 

2. Ottawa deserves some credit from coming back hard the rest of the way and they had the edge in play. But it was not a big edge. Natural Stat Trick had the scoring chances at 18 - 13 in favor of Ottawa over the last two periods. Demko made some big saves, but the Canucks also had some good chances. It is a bit frustrating to see the Canucks take their foot off the gas in the last two periods, but they still played pretty well. Overall, the Canucks won the expected goals battle comfortably (as well as winning the actual goals battle). 

3. As for individuals, by the eye test I though Suter had a great game and it turned out that the advanced stats agreed. He led the team in the HockeyStatCard advanced stats and he had the best expected goals percentage on Natural Stat Trick (NTS). Yes, his second goal was a lucky bounce, but that does not count for much on NTS. His overall play was just very good. In the third period he spent a lot of time with Miller and Boeser in addition to centering the 4th line and both lines were very good defensively when he was on the ice. I noticed quite a few great defensive plays. 

4.  Petey and Hughes were obviously very good as well. The Miller line was matched up against Tkachuk and did pretty well, especially when Suter was playing on that line. 

5. The third line was not as good tonight as it has been lately but was still pretty good.  

6. I think Kuzy is still struggling. His advanced stats were ok as he played with Petey and Mik, but by the eye test it looked to me like he had a hard time getting in on the forecheck (again) and was slow in getting to the puck on several occasions. And when he did handle the puck, it was like he was going for the fancy play instead of the simple play. With PDG injured I guess he stays in the lineup but he was not great tonight. To me Hogs looked pretty good, but Tocchet commented on him making defensive mistakes.

7. As for D pairings, Tocchet is going to have a hard time deciding who to take out to make room for Soucy. I think the Canucks definitely want Soucy in the line-up, but Juulsen was good again tonight (and played almost 17 minutes). Hughes and Hronek aren't going anywhere, Cole scored his first game of the season tonight, the team won't want to send Z to the press box and, as a RHD, Myers probably stays in the lineup. Maybe they will dress 7 D.

8. Demko was very good again.

Great to get the win with a tough road trip coming up. 

might be unorthodox but what if we don’t take a defence man out and play the 7th guy as a forward on the 4th line. The odd one out will be Juulsen because I don’t see Hughes, hronek, Zadorav, Myers, soucy, Cole coming out of the line up. Juulsen does play that heavy game that could be beneficial on our 4th line. Just a thought. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Gretzky is the b star there is, was, and ever will be. If he wants work done on his face, so be it. Weird, considering though. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It’s correct to say we made some bad draft choices, but it’s possible landing better players earlier on may have cost us Petey and Hughes.  Both of whom I’d prefer to Nylander/Ehlers or even Tkachuk.

Speaking of, if only we had drafted Tkachuk, we too could be paying Huberdeau 10.5 mil for the next 7 years.  I’m mostly joking, but that doesn’t look to be working out.

But yeah, maybe we already have a cup and are planning a dynasty.  Honestly. Who knows?  

I’m always shocked at how many terrible high picks Chicago had leading up to their literal dynasty.  I’m sure their fans lamented drafting Cam “egghead” Barker (3OA) Jack “chew through rope” Skille (7OA) Yakubov and Vorobiev (10 and 11 OA) Beach (11 OA - I know that stupid franchise is to blame there.) and other later picks.  

Not to pile on you for this comment - im on a tangent here.  Just reminds me that it goes to show that mistakes (at least non cap related mistakes) don’t “take away” as much as they simply don’t add to success. And it’s putting your positives together that get you somewhere in pro sports.  Can’t get too hung up on the misses.

We dominated this game. Easy win.As for the Hawks, they made up for their misses with later round hits. Lots of picks. Benning, the moron, traded away those picks. Big mistake. 

Send are serious puck suckers. They should trade us Brady Tkatchuk.