PGT - Senaturds at Canucks - 01/02/24

PhillipBlunt

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

It isn't easy to just kill it through an entire game though and some act like it should be. Teams that do go up 5-0 in the first aren't always going to continue that pace and end the game 15-2. It's quite normal to have teams battle back, at least to some degree. And give the Senators credit, they did.

Case in point, we were down 5-2 to the devils with 1/2 of the 3rd left. Yah we lost but not before making it a game.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

People were complaining alot about the 2nd and 3rd, I get it, I do. It's worrying, especially when we've been subjected to huge flops in the past. 

But understand that when teams are up by so much, the other team will start to really come on...no team likes to be embarrassed. And the Canucks may have thought they could conserve a bit of energy (for the upcoming road trip) and shut things down rather than continue to play aggressively. It takes a toll to play all out and they did take their foot off the gas a bit. Things can quickly go the other way as momentum shifts...we saw that.

It isn't easy to just kill it through an entire game though and some act like it should be. Teams that do go up 5-0 in the first aren't always going to continue that pace and end the game 15-2. It's quite normal to have teams battle back, at least to some degree. And give the Senators credit, they did.

The team will learn as they go and this will remind them that no lead is too great. That you have to continue to do the things you were doing or it could quickly become "game on". 

But the main takeaway for me is, enjoy the ride. They won, they didn't wither and get beat. In the past, they might have. But they didn't.

As long as they keep winning....even at times when they make that more difficult than it needs to be....I'm cheering them on. I won't be critical because they've come a long way and are battling at the top of the league. Yes, with the big dogs. Pencil those ones in as losses but I'm confident some will be wins...and no team wins them all.

JT's interviews really show me the leadership that's in place in that room - they know. They know it can be better and aren't simply whoopin' it up like they're champions each game. They keep it all in perspective and see both the good and bad. And that's a team I can bank on.

GO CANUCKS GO!

(And suck it, Drancer....I'm on Rick AND JT's side)

If the next game is at home, then they wouldn't conserve their energy.  They probably would get some more goals.  I think it's wise to conserve their energy because 7 gamer is long trip but manageable.    I think that they want to give Demko some work and shake off some rust with game speed rather than practice speed.  I don't mind with the performance in last 2 period, to be honest.  I think they'll reinforce the habits with some practice if they can.  I think they'll be fine but worry is habit can carry over if they don't have any practice time.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s not arguable fact that Gillis was President and GM during our club’s best era. We can argue about where Benning fits into the whole worst GM ever. 

Ugh not doing that.  He was smart enough to know what his predecessor's provided him, but it took some time.  Alf - if Sundin had actually signed what MG offered him, those banners wouldn't exist.   That was a rookie mistake maybe, plus, well it was also his client.   MG also sucked at nipping a goalie thing in the ass when it started, and a few other things I won't even get into.   I think JB would have done a decent job if he took over.   All that cap savings, all for Booth and Ballard, but at least Sundin didn't sign that 2 x 10 deal.   Won't even explain that means for cap today.   Actually preferred both Nonis and Burke.  

What MG was amazing at, was creating a professional environment.     Sleep clinics, etc.   But he wasn't as good at other things.   Quin is still the master trader.  And his drafting is on par with Burkes and JB 's.     Not that I think MG is a bad GM either because I don't.   

Maybe it was just going to take a bit more time, then fans clued into.   If your a top 3 team for 14 years, in a cap world.... your going to pay the piper.   We paid it before Detroit despite going into the cycle at the same time, and SJ made it work for another 4-5 years.   And now they will too.  Can't say "worst GM ever" these days.   Wait and see how Dubas and WSH does next.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I left the room when I saw this because OJ wasn't even part of the first round discussion until the WJ's.  Chychrun was considered a possible first overall the year before that draft and look at who he was competing against.   OJ had a high floor.   That's about it.   JB wasn't a great GM, and he wasn't nearly as terrible as some try to make him out to be.  Even JR/Allvin has said they could see what JB was doing and gave him props.  Some

Point is I think i'd rather have kept Nonis.  We needed a new GM @AnthonyG .   Different circumstances, i'd be scared if JB was still running this org.  

A high floor is needed when you have an organization with zero dmen in the system with top 4 pairing potential and virtually zero prospects or RFAs from 2005-2013. Taking the high risk high reward could back fire, regardless it would be a moot point as OJs high floor still never panned out and that was largely due to health, not skillset/IQ. We couldnt really afford to have too many picks fail because of the talent deficit we were in.

I’m not saying JB had to stay, I fully agree it was time for a different set of eyes. JB was here to rebuild, not to win. PA is the Gillis to 2010-11. Building the bottom and fine tuning the blueline. 

He rebuilt the the core, he was extended and given a brief opportunity to have a chance to play with the core he built, but ultimately his time was up. But if you look at the years after COVID this team was still much further ahead than what the standings showed. 

I’m in support of PA and JR, but right now their moves are critical in wether they shorten the window or extend the window to win.

Just now, IBatch said:

Ugh not doing that.  He was smart enough to know what his predecessor's provided him, but it took some time.  Alf - if Sundin had actually signed what MG offered him, those banners wouldn't exist.   That was a rookie mistake maybe, plus, well it was also his client.   MG also sucked at nipping a goalie thing in the ass when it started, and a few other things I won't even get into.   I think JB would have done a decent job if he took over.   All that cap savings, all for Booth and Ballard, but at least Sundin didn't sign that 2 x 10 deal.   Won't even explain that means for cap today.   Actually preferred both Nonis and Burke.  

Again, it’s not arguable fact that Gillis was president and GM during our most successful era. Gillis was a prick. He was arrogant. Sure, he was a lot of negative things. But his clubs were our best ever. Not arguable.

Benning was bad. He never had a proper plan. He forced out our best hockey people. He didn’t stand up to the owner. Benning wasn’t good at the draft either. His arrogance about his greatness as a scout got in the way. 

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

A high floor is needed when you have an organization with zero dmen in the system with top 4 pairing potential and virtually zero prospects or RFAs from 2005-2013. Taking the high risk high reward could back fire, regardless it would be a moot point as OJs high floor still never panned out and that was largely due to health, not skillset/IQ. We couldnt really afford to have too many picks fail because of the talent deficit we were in.

I’m not saying JB had to stay, I fully agree it was time for a different set of eyes. JB was here to rebuild, not to win. PA is the Gillis to 2010-11. Building the bottom and fine tuning the blueline. 

He rebuilt the the core, he was extended and given a brief opportunity to have a chance to play with the core he built, but ultimately his time was up. But if you look at the years after COVID this team was still much further ahead than what the standings showed. 

I’m in support of PA and JR, but right now their moves are critical in wether they shorten the window or extend the window to win.

Sorry, that was a huge "WTF" for me.  And i'm just a guy who has prospect mags etc.   OJ was not a good pick, especially with MT dropping to us and I hated his Dad.   JB drafted a bit above average given his draft position despite of OJ and JV.   Largely because of Demko, Brock, EP and QHs.  

If you want to see great drafting, check out TB and OTT over the same time span.   OTT actually kicks butt, going back quite some time.   Back to their last core.   Those guys are now stars or good players, spread around the league. 

Edited by IBatch

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I disagree. When you look at PA's drafting. It's already looking better. The proof will be the next few years. But I'm liking his picks, and i think they are far better than the Gillis era. Will it be better than Benning? If we get a GM that can manage the cap like or better than Gillis, and make trades like Quinn, and draft better than Benning. That will be one of the best GM's we've ever had.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I disagree. When you look at PA's drafting. It's already looking better. The proof will be the next few years. But I'm liking his picks, and i think they are far better than the Gillis era. Will it be better than Benning? If we get a GM that can manage the cap like or better than Gillis, and make trades like Quinn, and draft better than Benning. That will be one of the best GM's we've ever had.

Yep.  Milford is still the high bar too, as far as drafting goes.   And get there were a lot of amazing guys drafted back then.  

JB got his high end talent, but actually kind of shit the bed when it comes to later round impact players.   We haven't seen any since Nonis's first draft yet.   That's awful really.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sorry, that was a huge "WTF" for me.  And i'm just a guy who has prospect mags etc.   OJ was not a good pick, especially with MT dropping to us and I hated his Dad.   JB drafted a bit above average given his draft position despite of OJ and JV.   Largely because of Demko, Brock, EP and QHs.  

Yup. Absolute garbage pick with MT on board. I honestly can't believe OJ even make it that far with how terrible he was defensively while barely putting up a ppg his last year in junior. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup. Absolute garbage pick with MT on board. I honestly can't believe OJ even make it that far with how terrible he was defensively while barely putting up a ppg his last year in junior. 

Right idea, drafting a defenceman. Just we drafted the wrong defenceman.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's the golden recent example (and there are others too) as to why you can't take one tournament, and advance a player that much.   some guys still had him a late first rounder or early second for a reason.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes it was the right idea.  A year before that Chychrun was the only guy to challenge Mathews for first overall for a reason.    I wasn't happy.    The only time i've actually got mad watching the draft. 

Edit:  Also think it was their back up plan and PLD was their target. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah I liked the idea too but passing on a Memorial cup champ, who played rough and tough with 107 pts in 57 games was a tough pill to swallow. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And JV was supposed to be our MT, so our need was a defenseman not the same type of forward. Context does matter. But yeah ... wrong dman.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And if you look back to his scouting in PIT and JR at the helm its ugly.

2019 Entry                    
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2019 Entry 21 1 Samuel Poulin R Sherbrooke Phoenix [QMJHL] 3 0 1 1 2
2019 Entry 74 3 Nathan Legare R Baie-Comeau Drakkar [QMJHL]          
2019 Entry 145 5 Judd Caulfield R U.S. National Development Team [USHL]          
2019 Entry 203 7 Valtteri Puustinen R HPK Hameenlinna [SM-liiga] 12 1 7 8 4
2019 Entry 211 7 Santeri Airola D Saipa [Finland Jrs.]          

2018 Entry                    
2018 Entry 53 2 Calen Addison D Lethbridge Hurricanes [WHL] 115 6 39 45 48
2018 Entry 58 2 Filip Hallander C Timra IK [Swe-1] 3 0 0 0 0
2018 Entry 129 5 Justin Almeida C Moose Jaw Warriors [WHL]          
2018 Entry 177 6 Liam Gorman F St. Sebastian's School (Mass. H.S.)          

2017 Entry                    
2017 Entry 51 2 Zachary Lauzon D Rouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL]          
2017 Entry 93 3 Clayton Phillips D Fargo Force [USHL]          
2017 Entry 152 5 Jan Drozg R Leksand [Sweden-Jrs]          
2017 Entry 155 5 Linus Olund C Brynas IF Gavle [SweHL]          
2017 Entry 186 6 Antti Palojarvi D Lukko [Finland-Jrs]          
2017 Entry 217 7 Will Reilly D R.P.I. [ECAC]          

2016 Entry                    
2016 Entry 55 2 Filip Gustavsson G Lulea HF [SweHL] 88 0 1 1 0
2016 Entry 61 2 Kasper Bjorkqvist R Blues Jrs (Finland) 6 1 0 1 2
2016 Entry 77 3 Connor Hall D Kitchener Rangers [OHL]          
2016 Entry 121 4 Ryan Jones D Lincoln Stars [USHL]          
2016 Entry 151 5 Niclas Almari D Jokerit Jrs (Finland)          
2016 Entry 181 6 Joe Masonius D U. of Connecticut [H-East]          

2015 Entry                    
2015 Entry 46 2 Daniel Sprong R Charlottetown Islanders [QMJHL] 306 77 63 140 60
2015 Entry 137 5 Dominik Simon C Plzen HC [Czech] 256 22 55 77 80
2015 Entry 167 6 Frederik Tiffels F Western Michigan University [NCHC]          
2015 Entry 197 7 Nikita Pavlychev C Des Moines Buccaneers [USHL]          

2014 Entry                    
2014 Entry 22 1 Kasperi Kapanen R KalPa Kuopio [SM-liiga] 423 82 116 198 102
2014 Entry 113 4 Sam Lafferty C Deerfield Academy (Mass. H.S.) 247 32 44 76 142
2014 Entry 145 5 Anthony Angello C Omaha Lancers [USHL] 31 3 2 5 14
2014 Entry 173 6 Jaden Lindo R Owen Sound Attack [OHL]          
2014 Entry 203 7 Jeff Taylor D Union College [ECAC]          

2013 Entry                    
2013 Entry 44 2 Tristan Jarry G Edmonton Oil Kings [WHL] 231 1 10 11 22
2013 Entry 77 3 Jake Guentzel L Sioux City Musketeers [USHL] 489 214 242 456 222
2013 Entry 119 4 Ryan Segalla D Salisbury (Conn. H.S.)          
2013 Entry 164 6 Dane Birks D Merritt Centennials [BCHL]          
2013 Entry 179 6 Blaine Byron C Smiths Falls Bears [CCHL]          
2013 Entry 209 7 Troy Josephs C St. Michael's Buzzers [OJHL]          

Its the scouting department that deserves the credit. Everyone loves to suck off Judd Brackett for “his” picks, but then pin JV and OJ solely on JB. Why not the scouting department? Why is it JB solely blamed for picks that fail, but anyone who is a star goes to the credit of the scout.

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Its the scouting department that deserves the credit. Everyone loves to suck off Judd Brackett for “his” picks, but then pin JV and OJ solely on JB. Why not the scouting department? Why is it JB solely blamed for picks that fail, but anyone who is a star goes to the credit of the scout.

Oh No Mood GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

Except when he mugged Petey

Yep, I remember that.

If that's an opponent star player's best contribution to the game, I'll take it (barring injury, of course).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

And if you look back to his scouting in PIT and JR at the helm its ugly.

2019 Entry                    
2019 Entry 21 1 Samuel Poulin R Sherbrooke Phoenix [QMJHL] 3 0 1 1 2
2019 Entry 74 3 Nathan Legare R Baie-Comeau Drakkar [QMJHL]          
2019 Entry 145 5 Judd Caulfield R U.S. National Development Team [USHL]          
2019 Entry 203 7 Valtteri Puustinen R HPK Hameenlinna [SM-liiga] 12 1 7 8 4
2019 Entry 211 7 Santeri Airola D Saipa [Finland Jrs.]          

2018 Entry                    
2018 Entry 53 2 Calen Addison D Lethbridge Hurricanes [WHL] 115 6 39 45 48
2018 Entry 58 2 Filip Hallander C Timra IK [Swe-1] 3 0 0 0 0
2018 Entry 129 5 Justin Almeida C Moose Jaw Warriors [WHL]          
2018 Entry 177 6 Liam Gorman F St. Sebastian's School (Mass. H.S.)          

2017 Entry                    
2017 Entry 51 2 Zachary Lauzon D Rouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL]          
2017 Entry 93 3 Clayton Phillips D Fargo Force [USHL]          
2017 Entry 152 5 Jan Drozg R Leksand [Sweden-Jrs]          
2017 Entry 155 5 Linus Olund C Brynas IF Gavle [SweHL]          
2017 Entry 186 6 Antti Palojarvi D Lukko [Finland-Jrs]          
2017 Entry 217 7 Will Reilly D R.P.I. [ECAC]          

2016 Entry                    
2016 Entry 55 2 Filip Gustavsson G Lulea HF [SweHL] 88 0 1 1 0
2016 Entry 61 2 Kasper Bjorkqvist R Blues Jrs (Finland) 6 1 0 1 2
2016 Entry 77 3 Connor Hall D Kitchener Rangers [OHL]          
2016 Entry 121 4 Ryan Jones D Lincoln Stars [USHL]          
2016 Entry 151 5 Niclas Almari D Jokerit Jrs (Finland)          
2016 Entry 181 6 Joe Masonius D U. of Connecticut [H-East]          

2015 Entry                    
2015 Entry 46 2 Daniel Sprong R Charlottetown Islanders [QMJHL] 306 77 63 140 60
2015 Entry 137 5 Dominik Simon C Plzen HC [Czech] 256 22 55 77 80
2015 Entry 167 6 Frederik Tiffels F Western Michigan University [NCHC]          
2015 Entry 197 7 Nikita Pavlychev C Des Moines Buccaneers [USHL]          

2014 Entry                    
2014 Entry 22 1 Kasperi Kapanen R KalPa Kuopio [SM-liiga] 423 82 116 198 102
2014 Entry 113 4 Sam Lafferty C Deerfield Academy (Mass. H.S.) 247 32 44 76 142
2014 Entry 145 5 Anthony Angello C Omaha Lancers [USHL] 31 3 2 5 14
2014 Entry 173 6 Jaden Lindo R Owen Sound Attack [OHL]          
2014 Entry 203 7 Jeff Taylor D Union College [ECAC]          

2013 Entry                    
2013 Entry 44 2 Tristan Jarry G Edmonton Oil Kings [WHL] 231 1 10 11 22
2013 Entry 77 3 Jake Guentzel L Sioux City Musketeers [USHL] 489 214 242 456 222
2013 Entry 119 4 Ryan Segalla D Salisbury (Conn. H.S.)          
2013 Entry 164 6 Dane Birks D Merritt Centennials [BCHL]          
2013 Entry 179 6 Blaine Byron C Smiths Falls Bears [CCHL]          
2013 Entry 209 7 Troy Josephs C St. Michael's Buzzers [OJHL]          

C828916E-9ADE-494C-8AFC-599AEE60D7A0.gif.7783fde8fccc8a5a4fa620f8259cbeb9.gif

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If you want to see great drafting, check out TB and OTT over the same time span.   OTT actually kicks butt, going back quite some time.   Back to their last core.   Those guys are now stars or good players, spread around the league. 

Just imagine if Ottawa had better management and/or ownership during that time. Scary!

45 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Case in point, we were down 5-2 to the devils with 1/2 of the 3rd left. Yah we lost but not before making it a game.

I recall a game where Vancouver was down by 4 or 5 goals with about 10 minutes left in the 3rd period against Toronto. I left in disgust to go do some work. My dad continued watching. I went upstairs for a coffee (working late at home) and my dad said "tie game." Setting aside his not telling me the Canucks rallied, I was thrilled. The Canucks won that game - about 10 - 15 years ago and while I tried to find that particular game for a source reference, I couldn't. Perhaps someone here can. 

Moral, up 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, whatever, letting off the foot on the gas "could" backfire. Easy to say from the arm chair but when up KILL THEM.

"It is not your opponent, but your weakness that hurts you most" ... Apporve Dubey

and one of my personal favorites, not sure who the author is as I am quoting from memory

"Your opponent and you want the same outcome. The only thing that matters is who wants it more." ... I am paraphrasing here. 

GO CANUCKS GO!!

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We went with organizational needs. We needed a dman. At some point if you have dman within one spot of where you are drafting, why the hell are you passing on an opportunity to possibly get a top 4 dman that is desperately needed.  When do you plan to ever draft and develop your own dman? We took 3 forwards and if you add Horvat and Shitkaruk thats 5 forwards in a span of 3 drafts plus a starting goalie. At some point you need a dman. Unless you wanna keep paying to acquire, then sure go ahead but you arent going to get anywhere anytime soon by sacrificing picks/prospects/roster players to acquire a dman when you coulda just drafted and developed one yourself. We were in a talent deficit going alllll the way back to 2005 we relied on hope that every pick would be a guarantee, so that we could build a core and a pipeline in very short time. Even with a couple failed 1st rounders we turned this organization around in 5 drafts and added some prospects to the pool and have finally begun to build a pool.

If you look at % of picks to become NHLers JB has one of the highest %s league wide. The difference with TBL is they had a core that allowed for development. JB had to land NHLers right away.