PGT - Senaturds at Canucks - 01/02/24

PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He's the golden recent example (and there are others too) as to why you can't take one tournament, and advance a player that much.   some guys still had him a late first rounder or early second for a reason.  

I thought to myself well I don't know how we passed on MT but you know what, we really need a defender as well. I said well hey maybe a good stay at home defender is exactly what we need. I went and watched game film ... this kid didn't know anything about playing the position at all. I've never seen worse footage on how to play defence in my life.

Yup, never pick a guy simply because he played on a good team at the world juniors. He just got by by riding on the coattails of players on all the good teams he lucked out into being a part of.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

"A bot is a software application that is programmed to do certain tasks. Bots are automated, which means they run according to their instructions without a human user needing to manually start them up every time. Bots often imitate or replace a human user's behavior. Typically they do repetitive tasks, and they can do them much faster than human users could."

Alf drinks like a bot! 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Yeah who knows how it shakes down if it happens a different way.  With our current positioning it’s silly to play the hindsight game too much.   

Juolevi didn’t get us anywhere near 5OA value… but we did get Juulsen for him.  Who I think we’re starting to see a lot more value in these days.

You, and your reasonable level headed takes. Sheesh! 😉

Very enjoyable poster 👍

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I hope I'm actually wrong but Jan looks brutal for them and it isn't that the Schedule is all that brutal it is that the Canucks just seem to do it to themselves and the will justify it with excuse "we were tired". 

image.png.a5ac3407977186c8caa9ff13ac579c5b.png

Hmmm ... are you authentic there Drance? Just following the guidelines as laid out by ChatGPT, LOL.

For the record, an amusement post and will not be responding to anything CanuckFanForever says (or his compatriots) ... my personal choice, nothing more.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Just look at the schedule first they are headed on a 7 game road trip which for sure they will take loses to NJ, NYR and NYI. The NYI because that's the back end of a back to back. Their going to be tired when they get into Pit so that looks like lose. STL looks like they can win that one but they should be careful. Buff and CBJ look like wins but they are going to lose one for sure because well that what the Canucks do against bad teams. Pho is going to be a dog fight when they get home. Tor is going to roll right over them offensively I expect high scoring game 6-4 Canucks. Then it is Chi, STL and CBJ all three teams the Canucks should win but they will lose 1. 

cry baby GIF

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which is exactly why it’s important, during a rebuild, to add second and third round picks. Benning traded those much needed picks away. Those are the picks needed to have important players come from to cover for the high picks missed. Benning was a failure. 

Once you get past the top half of the 1st round it becomes very unlikely to land good players.  You can say we should have tried for more lottery picks and sure, but hitting on Demko, Hoglander and Boeser (late 1st) with maybe Silovs as well is still a lot of value. Especially Boeser and Demko. 

Even McCann turned into Guddy who turned into Pearson who turned into DeSmith.  Yes other picks were involved but that’s the NHL principals included. All that “failure” and we’re somehow at the top of the league - it’s wild.

12 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

If you look at what OJ got us for value, look at 2 guys ahead of him. PLD and Puljujarvi. PLD is an arrogant entitled dickhead thats a borderline bust, Pooparty is a bust. We werent the only ones who lost out in the top 5.

- 4OA Bennett

- 5OA MDC

- 6OA JV
- 7OA Fleury

- 3OA Strome - meh

- 5OA Hanifin - liability

- 6OA Zacha

- 3OA Princess Large Douche

- 4OA Pooparty

- 5OA OJ

- 2OA Patrick

- 6OA Glass

- 7OA Andersson

- 3OA Kotkaniemi

- 5OA Hayton

- 6OA Zadina

- 2OA Kaakko

- 3OA Dach

- 4OA Byram (major health concerns)

- 5OA Turcotte

- 1OA Lafrieniere 

people need to get a grip on reality and realize there are so many busts or failures to live up to their potential all in the same draft positions JB had. To believe we wouldnt have at least one miss is ridiculous. We coulda selected a player above JV or OJ and missed just as bad.

For sure.  And I think people look at mistakes like that as somehow taking away value when it’s simply a +0 to the team’s talent level.  Is it a significant miss?  Sure.. but how much lasting damage is there?  None.  We actually got value in Juulsen.

We’ve also filled out the left side of the D rather effectively (and cheaply) without Juolevi.

We’ve seen what happened with Tkachuk in Calgary.  It’s all just a nothing burger.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Once you get past the top half of the 1st round it becomes very unlikely to land good players.  You can say we should have tried for more lottery picks and sure, but hitting on Demko, Hoglander and Boeser (late 1st) with maybe Silovs as well is still a lot of value. Especially Boeser and Demko. 

Even McCann turned into Guddy who turned into Pearson who turned into DeSmith.  Yes other picks were involved but that’s the NHL principals included. All that “failure” and we’re somehow at the top of the league - it’s wild.

For sure.  And I think people look at mistakes like that as somehow taking away value when it’s simply a +0 to the team’s talent level.  Is it a significant miss?  Sure.. but how much lasting damage is there?  None.  We actually got value in Juulsen.

We’ve also filled out the left side of the D rather effectively (and cheaply) without Juolevi.

We’ve seen what happened with Tkachuk in Calgary.  It’s all just a nothing burger.

I'd rather have the end result of the OJ pick and subsequent trade than what Calgary is going through.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Crimson JH said:

Talk about an unforgettable night in beautiful Vancouver!! From witnessing history being made live with some incredible matches under its belt, taking home super fresh merch and Jumbotron vibes so large it gave me life; let's not forget meeting Fin – the coolest Orca ever! and ending such victorious evening by having the Canucks’ Captain Quinn Hughes sign off my jersey ( Now I need to slap a C on it) post-win against those pesky Ottawa Senators felt like pure bliss - #HockeyGoals Achieved on a back-2-back games with the Winter Classic from last night! 💚💙 

IMG_5806.thumb.jpeg.1671e2babca363b7bb0279f622841297.jpegIMG_5812.thumb.jpeg.0bc75c3b5e2d3a7aecb3427bc0f0b53a.jpegIMG_5784.thumb.jpeg.9d21de404feb8b4c83fb7646e0d52546.jpegIMG_5908.thumb.png.cd8adb16b7b5bd19b1a0634949568640.pngIMG_5865.thumb.jpeg.9dae273831570e8b2f38534e26774c74.jpegIMG_5905.thumb.jpeg.85223d1845bbb4ba35a429b3e1fe1120.jpegwhy so red, Wayne? Lol

IMG_5943.thumb.jpeg.65cb5d0ef407f7b445ade8dfe5da5fb0.jpegIMG_5948.thumb.jpeg.df0725138bf530771e2e393182b8a8b6.jpegIMG_5947.thumb.jpeg.55b7935c7e6c382c0164c6412a4ddf9c.jpegIMG_5950.thumb.jpeg.5da656f16a0e87766625e0e233188d30.jpegIMG_5970.thumb.jpeg.c607bdff79dfe67157ba7fa5545bdae2.jpegIMG_5968.thumb.jpeg.f94240cf55aeb69db61a9845dbd01cfa.jpeg

You’ve been enjoying some amazing hockey experiences lately! 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Yeah who knows how it shakes down if it happens a different way.  With our current positioning it’s silly to play the hindsight game too much.   

Juolevi didn’t get us anywhere near 5OA value… but we did get Juulsen for him.  Who I think we’re starting to see a lot more value in these days.

Ain't that the truth. Good point. No sense in worrying about the past at this point, as the present is pretty great. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Which is exactly why it’s important, during a rebuild, to add second and third round picks. Benning traded those much needed picks away. Those are the picks needed to have important players come from to cover for the high picks missed. Benning was a failure. 

You do realize you CAN buy low and sell high right?

buy for a 3rd sell for a 2nd or mid to late 1st if that prospect/RFA begins to make an impact. OR if you are lucky that prospect/RFA becomes an actual NHL player that is part of your roster.

If you look at almost every single trade JB made, the draft position of the player acquired was almost always if not always a higher drafted player. JB tried increasing his odds of gaining an NHLer ever so slightly while working with the disadvantage of no major trade chips to accelerate a rebuild and no prospects in the pipeline. He had to  be desperate to try and speed things up. This fan base has ZERO patience. One game losing streak this season and this fan base loses all hope. Blow it up, time to start over blah blah blah. Like these are actual discussions that have been had during this season. Its a fuckin joke.

not every rebuild is the same, no particular recipe is the only answer. You can blow it up as many times as Edmonton and still be faced with another rebuild looming as contracts are coming up, success is far away, players as unhappy and want to win, cap issues looming with Draisaitls next deal, then McDavid…. The key to staying competitive is having a core that can stay competitive for several years and allow room for development below. Look at how many organizations have taken the wet piles of shit from around the league and how long its taken them to get anywhere near competing. 

You act as if those picks he traded were guaranteed NHLers. So what if he kept the picks and like most 2nd and 3rd rounders, they didnt pan out? Then what? You gunna complain because he didnt attempt to acquire prospects or RFA close to NHL level that needed a little more time?

The reality is those picks are have the same or slightly less chance of becoming an impact player at the NHL level. The guys he acquired were already playing in the NHL. I’ll take those odds over the unknown every time when trying to rebuild from below ground level.

12 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You do realize you CAN buy low and sell high right?

buy for a 3rd sell for a 2nd or mid to late 1st if that prospect/RFA begins to make an impact. OR if you are lucky that prospect/RFA becomes an actual NHL player that is part of your roster.

If you look at almost every single trade JB made, the draft position of the player acquired was almost always if not always a higher drafted player. JB tried increasing his odds of gaining an NHLer ever so slightly while working with the disadvantage of no major trade chips to accelerate a rebuild and no prospects in the pipeline. He had to  be desperate to try and speed things up. This fan base has ZERO patience. One game losing streak this season and this fan base loses all hope. Blow it up, time to start over blah blah blah. Like these are actual discussions that have been had during this season. Its a fuckin joke.

not every rebuild is the same, no particular recipe is the only answer. You can blow it up as many times as Edmonton and still be faced with another rebuild looming as contracts are coming up, success is far away, players as unhappy and want to win, cap issues looming with Draisaitls next deal, then McDavid…. The key to staying competitive is having a core that can stay competitive for several years and allow room for development below. Look at how many organizations have taken the wet piles of shit from around the league and how long its taken them to get anywhere near competing. 

You act as if those picks he traded were guaranteed NHLers. So what if he kept the picks and like most 2nd and 3rd rounders, they didnt pan out? Then what? You gunna complain because he didnt attempt to acquire prospects or RFA close to NHL level that needed a little more time?

The reality is those picks are have the same or slightly less chance of becoming an impact player at the NHL level. The guys he acquired were already playing in the NHL. I’ll take those odds over the unknown every time when trying to rebuild from below ground level.

Your generalizations on the fanbase do nothing for the credibility of your statement. 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Your generalizations on the fanbase do nothing for the credibility of your statement. 

The media spoon feeds a large majority of this fanbase its toxic views. The crying and complaining while going through a rebuild and people thinking we are supposed to be going for a cup supports my statement. First part is the obliviousness to a rebuild and the second is the demand for a cup 8 years ago and counting each year after. The constant complaints of “how long this rebuild took” is a huge indicator the large majority of this fan base has no fucking clue how long a rebuild takes and after its done, how long it takes to become competitive/a contender. We have been very fortunate from the beginning of this organization we have never had to endure painfully long and hard rebuilds like soooo many other organizations. This is the longest stretch of hockey that we have struggled to make playoffs and the last 3 seasons, this team had playoff potential, we had COVID along with the harshest scheduling pre-shutdown and post shutdown to a season out of all teams along with Petey gone for over half a season. The following season, Petey was a huge anchor on this team that dragged his ass along the bottom of the sea for 40 games until we finally pulled his ass up and he took over. Last year alllll on goaltending. This season the team has finally all put it together at the same time.

• Haha 1