PGT - Senaturds at Canucks - 01/02/24

PhillipBlunt

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, seems to work for Tocchet when he needs it to, so I’ll go with his ideas on the matter. 

it's pretty obvious it hasn't been working for toc, since pdg has twice as many healthy scratches as he does goals. 

nobody is down on pdg, and I'm not complaining about his deployment, he's just being asked to do a lot more than he realistically should be because he had some chemistry with Miller and boeser. 

I'm not second guessing tocchet, it's just a lack of personnel available for the top 6. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I hope I'm actually wrong but Jan looks brutal for them and it isn't that the Schedule is all that brutal it is that the Canucks just seem to do it to themselves and the will justify it with excuse "we were tired". 

You mean like their last road trip where they managed to get 6 out of 8 points?

Don't make stuff up to suit your agenda. It's tiring.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Only thing that really bugged me about the game last night, is really quite simple, they put up 5 goals in the 1st, then pretty much sleep walked through the rest of the game. Ok, fine Ottawa is last in the east, but do put up 5 in the 1st against someone like the Rangers or Boston, and you could very well lose 6-5 and have no idea what the hell happened.

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm going to rant momentarily, then be over it.

It's sad to me that when my team is killing it (they are, in a big picture way) there are those constantly chiming in with negativity. Now I know I'm the homer wearing rose coloured glasses other extreme in that, but come on. Winning is supposed to bring momentary relief/joy and dissecting wins to pick them apart really takes away from them. The team knows...JT told it like it was. But we don't have to wallow in what they didn't do. They did win.

People will be quick to chime in with words like "realistic", "Demko stole the game", and "constructive criticism" but the point, for me, is this.

If you've been a fan of this team for a long time there have been more lows than highs over the years. It's a grind and not easy to win a cup and that's obvious. Teams that have it figured out often have had the luxury of #1/top draft picks to build around and it generally is a big advantage.

Honestly, we never used to "expect" wins...we'd just hope for them and celebrate when we got them. Now there's a sense of entitlement and even when we DO win, it's not good enough? Not long ago we were dying to string some wins together and now we want them to be perfect? 

I checked out when I saw some of the regular suspects complaining. Yes, they killed it in the first and then went into their protection mode in the second/third. It's likely a natural reaction and they're both aware of and working on it. 

I haven't read today to see if the mood and tone has changed....but there was so much whining over how they played. I wish we could just give credit where it's due...and it is. They're finding a way...even if they're "lucky" and bounce pucks off their asses, it counts. You have to be good to be lucky. That's what some of those same people used to say when we grumbled about having no luck.

Anyhow...I'll go read and hopefully the mood is more jovial. I checked in from work for a minute only to see our biggest fan in here predicting the future and a flop. That prompted this train of thought. I just really wish people would get behind their team instead of dragging them around in the mud.

/rant

Perhaps people are dealing with post holiday depression. Perhaps too much celebration is catching up with peoples wallet, body, spirit and mind--resulting in an unrelenting negative outlook towards everything, including the Cinderella Nucks. I'm high on the Nucks so far this season and can't wait to see the results from yet another gruelling road trip. Miller won me over so I'm looking to put his name on my coveted jersey....GCG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Only thing that really bugged me about the game last night, is really quite simple, they put up 5 goals in the 1st, then pretty much sleep walked through the rest of the game. Ok, fine Ottawa is last in the east, but do put up 5 in the 1st against someone like the Rangers or Boston, and you could very well lose 6-5 and have no idea what the hell happened.

If they can sleep walk to a 6-3 win they're doing more right than wrong.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's sad to me that when my team is killing it (they are, in a big picture way) there are those constantly chiming in with negativity. Now I know I'm the homer wearing rose coloured glasses other extreme in that, but come on. Winning is supposed to bring momentary relief/joy and dissecting wins to pick them apart really takes away from them. The team knows...JT told it like it was. But we don't have to wallow in what they didn't do. They did win.

People will be quick to chime in with words like "realistic", "Demko stole the game", and "constructive criticism" but the point, for me, is this.

If you've been a fan of this team for a long time there have been more lows than highs over the years. It's a grind and not easy to win a cup and that's obvious. Teams that have it figured out often have had the luxury of #1/top draft picks to build around and it generally is a big advantage.

Honestly, we never used to "expect" wins...we'd just hope for them and celebrate when we got them. Now there's a sense of entitlement and even when we DO win, it's not good enough? Not long ago we were dying to string some wins together and now we want them to be perfect? 

I checked out when I saw some of the regular suspects complaining. Yes, they killed it in the first and then went into their protection mode in the second/third. It's likely a natural reaction and they're both aware of and working on it. 

I haven't read today to see if the mood and tone has changed....but there was so much whining over how they played. I wish we could just give credit where it's due...and it is. They're finding a way...even if they're "lucky" and bounce pucks off their asses, it counts. You have to be good to be lucky. That's what some of those same people used to say when we grumbled about having no luck.

Anyhow...I'll go read and hopefully the mood is more jovial. I checked in from work for a minute only to see our biggest fan in here predicting the future and a flop. That prompted this train of thought. I just really wish people would get behind their team instead of dragging them around in the mud.

/rant

I totally agree. And I have a sneaky suspicion, most of these "types" of fans are not very happy in their own lives. How critical can you be when something's going better than expected and yet you're still tearing it down, or waiting for it to fall apart? Huh??? 

Not a healthy mindset, or way to go through life. (Or it's just a call for help.) 

Wow. Some people, like you said, they call themselves, "realists!" Haha! 

Yeah, right.

Enjoy the moment. Life is NEVER perfect. Neither are the Canucks, or them. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

You mean like their last road trip where they managed to get 6 out of 8 points?

Don't make stuff up to suit your agenda. It's tiring.

let me be your hired gun, deb, the bad cop. i don't need a badge or a gun, just immunity. 

let me be your russell crowe in la confidential.

• Thanks 1

So lets look at January shall we?

Jan 4, St. Louis. Challenging, but the Blues are 5-5 the last 10 games. Winnable

Jan 6, New Jersey. Tough,  As of now they are 5-4-1 in the last ten. I'll say a loss

Jan 8, New York Rangers, Tough, Canucks came close but lost in O/T. 6-4 in the last 10. Ok take the odds it's a loss.

Jan 9, New York Islanders, Tough, Back end of Back to backs. But Isles are 4-3-3 in the last 10. O/T Loss and gets a point.

Jan 11, Pittsburgh, Challenging. Depends which Pittsburgh shows up, depends which Canucks show up. Last 10 7-2-1. I'm splitting the difference and saying O/T win.

Jan 13, Buffalo, Once again is Buffalo motivated? Their goaltending sucks. Last 10 4-5-1. Winnable

Jan 15 Columbus end of the road trip. Columbus is a mess. 3-4-3 in last 10. Winnable.

That's 9 points out of a possible 14. And the last 5 games only Toronto is tough. So saying there's an O/T loss somewhere plus a T.O. loss. That's 7 more points.

For a total of 16 points for the rest January out of 24. Doesn't look like the end of the world to me.

But I guess we will see what happens. Oh and we started with a Win.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Jan 4, St. Louis. Challenging, but the Blues are 5-5 the last 10 games. Winnable

Jan 6, New Jersey. Tough,  As of now they are 5-4-1 in the last ten. I'll say a loss

Jan 8, New York Rangers, Tough, Canucks came close but lost in O/T. 6-4 in the last 10. Ok take the odds it's a loss.

Jan 9, New York Islanders, Tough, Back end of Back to backs. But Isles are 4-3-3 in the last 10. O/T Loss and gets a point.

Jan 11, Pittsburgh, Challenging. Depends which Pittsburgh shows up, depends which Canucks show up. Last 10 7-2-1. I'm splitting the difference and saying O/T win.

Jan 13, Buffalo, Once again is Buffalo motivated? Their goaltending sucks. Last 10 4-5-1. Winnable

Jan 15 Columbus end of the road trip. Columbus is a mess. 3-4-3 in last 10. Winnable.

That's 9 points out of a possible 14. And the last 5 games only Toronto is tough. So saying there's an O/T loss somewhere plus a T.O. loss. That's 7 more points.

For a total of 16 points for the rest January out of 24. Doesn't look like the end of the world to me.

If the road trip is above .500, I would be happy.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

/rant

Well said Deb so far we are crushing it 2nd most wins in the league haters gonna hate I guess

Edited by Cromeslab
Spelling
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, tas said:

it's pretty obvious it hasn't been working for toc, since pdg has twice as many healthy scratches as he does goals. 

nobody is down on pdg, and I'm not complaining about his deployment, he's just being asked to do a lot more than he realistically should be because he had some chemistry with Miller and boeser. 

I'm not second guessing tocchet, it's just a lack of personnel available for the top 6. 

Guentzel. I’ve been hearing his name bandied about regarding a trade with the Canucks.

I feel slightly resistant to part with valuable pieces for a guy of his stature in the top 6. 

Thoughts?

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Guentzel. I’ve been hearing his name bandied about regarding a trade with the Canucks.

I feel slightly resistant to part with valuable pieces for a guy of his stature in the top 6. 

Thoughts?

cost makes me nervous, but who could possibly know better than this management/coaching/scouting group whether or not the value there?

makes me nervous, but i defer to the experts. 

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I thought you were bringing a bleak picture here, and I was all set to argue. But our game predictions on the 7 game trip are similar.

16 points out of 24 is the same as winning 8 of 12. Not too shabby, and if that's in a tough month, I'll take that anytime.

I'm more worried about the Yotes (our 1st game back from the trip, and they're playing well lately) than the Leafs, who haven't won out here since 2019, including the crappy Covid-realigned season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thoughts?

So far we’re good deal from a position of strength 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Cromeslab said:

So far we’re good deal from a position of strength 

For sure. I’d prefer a larger and more aggressive forward to add to Pettersson’s line. The kind of forward who’d have knocked Tkachuk’s head in for the BS in the last game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure. I’d prefer a larger and more aggressive forward to add to Pettersson’s line. The kind of forward who’d have knocked Tkachuk’s head in for the BS in the last game. 

They are elusive 

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thoughts?

I'd swap out Kuzmenko or Mikheyev for Guentzel any day.  

• Cheers 2