PGT - Senaturds at Canucks - 01/02/24

PhillipBlunt

4 hours ago, Qwags said:

Made it harder on themselves than it should've been. Got some lucky bounces, too. A win is a win.

5-0 start. Dominated and the coasted the rest of the game. This is what great clubs do. 
bow and kneel to the empties. 

4 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Well it is a win

Great 1st 

Bad 2nd 

Terrible 3rd

Good enough for a win against the worst eastern team but anyone else this game is a lose

That’s exactly how great teams play. Win it early. 

I was there 

You pay and they show up for 1 period… 

that’s not how life works 

inconsistency is not how you maintain anything… 

you feel ripped off as a fan watching them mail it in while you shell out hard earned cash

They shoulda kept the pedal down and padded their stats ffs… where is the passion and hunger they had at the start of the season?

i won’t pay again to watch them mail it in for 2/3rd of a game and hang their goalie out to dry for 3 easy goals against the worst team in the east…

they need to be consistent ffs…

they can’t get away with this

they crapped the bed against the Flyers and then this… one period of decent hockey… 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

Nearly Neil was more exciting than the Canucks - he gave it his all… sweet Caroline was amazing 

That dude was ON FIRE…

His Wig… next level… 

more amazing that that game 

they scored 2 legit goals

4 were lucky… they better pull it together on the road trip…

Tocchets system is what is doing it for this team…

when the senators started skating we looked slow and sloppy… 

they shoulda won the game if it wasn’t for Demko…

I’ve never seen so many lucky bounces by one team in one game…

if Ottawa had a decent goalie they woulda won

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Easy win. Petey is amazing. 12 per is well worth it to lock up such a super duper star. (He will sign for 9.5 x 4)

I was there the game sucked - we should’ve lost - almost all of our  goals were fluky - Ottawa’s  goaltender gave us the game - he sucked

and we were once again slow and sloppy for two periods of the game

We sucked against the flyers and the senators 

We had a good start but this isn’t a hungry team it’s complacent and satisfied 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

JT Miller for sure is a leader in this group.   Like how he called out Drance,  that was a nice barb, and deserved,  and funny, but it was also how he called out the group on not playing like it was 0-0 in the second, and curiously how he mentioned the LW rotations, more then once, both for his and EPs line.    Not sure if that was meant for Tochett or Allvin or both.     Team does need that missing player in the top six for at least one of those lines.   De-Smith is absolutely worth the trade, in cap space and as a back-up,  but they are also missing what Tanner Pearson offered as well. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Comments on tonight's game:

1. The coach, the players, and the media have all made the point that the Canucks had a great first period and then were not very good in the last two. They had some lucky bounces to go up 5-0 in the first, but they deserved to be up at least 3-0. Natural Stat Trick had the scoring chances at 14-4 in the Canucks' favor. Every line was good, and the D pairs were also good. Most of the Ottawa shots were "low-danger". 

2. Ottawa deserves some credit from coming back hard the rest of the way and they had the edge in play. But it was not a big edge. Natural Stat Trick had the scoring chances at 18 - 13 in favor of Ottawa over the last two periods. Demko made some big saves, but the Canucks also had some good chances. It is a bit frustrating to see the Canucks take their foot off the gas in the last two periods, but they still played pretty well. Overall, the Canucks won the expected goals battle comfortably (as well as winning the actual goals battle). 

3. As for individuals, by the eye test I though Suter had a great game and it turned out that the advanced stats agreed. He led the team in the HockeyStatCard advanced stats and he had the best expected goals percentage on Natural Stat Trick (NTS). Yes, his second goal was a lucky bounce, but that does not count for much on NTS. His overall play was just very good. In the third period he spent a lot of time with Miller and Boeser in addition to centering the 4th line and both lines were very good defensively when he was on the ice. I noticed quite a few great defensive plays. 

4.  Petey and Hughes were obviously very good as well. The Miller line was matched up against Tkachuk and did pretty well, especially when Suter was playing on that line. 

5. The third line was not as good tonight as it has been lately but was still pretty good.  

6. I think Kuzy is still struggling. His advanced stats were ok as he played with Petey and Mik, but by the eye test it looked to me like he had a hard time getting in on the forecheck (again) and was slow in getting to the puck on several occasions. And when he did handle the puck, it was like he was going for the fancy play instead of the simple play. With PDG injured I guess he stays in the lineup but he was not great tonight. To me Hogs looked pretty good, but Tocchet commented on him making defensive mistakes.

7. As for D pairings, Tocchet is going to have a hard time deciding who to take out to make room for Soucy. I think the Canucks definitely want Soucy in the line-up, but Juulsen was good again tonight (and played almost 17 minutes). Hughes and Hronek aren't going anywhere, Cole scored his first game of the season tonight, the team won't want to send Z to the press box and, as a RHD, Myers probably stays in the lineup. Maybe they will dress 7 D.

8. Demko was very good again.

Great to get the win with a tough road trip coming up. 

Good level headed analysis @JamesB

Its hard for teams to keep the foot on the pedal, when leading 5-0 after 1st period... The game was won at that time despite, what a a few posters seem to suggest... But of course, if we are searching for something to complain about, I guess its something...

I like you are looking at our D, and how good or at least above decent they've been. I did not expect Juulsen to be as secure as he has been, and it looks like all he needed was the security of playing more than a few games despite making a mistake or two... Confidence is a fickle thing, but trust is a major step in the right direction...

Pleased for the boys....  A tough away trip coming up now... afternoon and early games galore. Even a b2b, and with less than 48 hours in-between any of these its going to be a tough tough road trip.

If they can come home with a 0.500 I will be very pleased, and think they all will. After that a more relaxed home schedule followed by another extended break will do them the world of good.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

I don’t care how you win, get those 2 points in the bank.

A tough road trip against really good teams coming up, going .500 over the next couple weeks would be a great result.

16 out of a possible 20 points in the last 10 games while the team wasn’t firing on all cylinders has been impressive. Tied as the hottest team in the league over that stretch. 

Teams are already running out of runway to knock us out of top three in the division.

Thank you....

No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Good level headed analysis @JamesB

Its hard for teams to keep the foot on the pedal, when leading 5-0 after 1st period... The game was won at that time despite, what a a few posters seem to suggest... But of course, if we are searching for something to complain about, I guess its something...

I like you are looking at our D, and how good or at least above decent they've been. I did not expect Juulsen to be as secure as he has been, and it looks like all he needed was the security of playing more than a few games despite making a mistake or two... Confidence is a fickle thing, but trust is a major step in the right direction...

Pleased for the boys....  A tough away trip coming up now... afternoon and early games galore. Even a b2b, and with less than 48 hours in-between any of these its going to be a tough tough road trip.

If they can come home with a 0.500 I will be very pleased, and think they all will. After that a more relaxed home schedule followed by another extended break will do them the world of good.

Agree Spook.   JamesB's write-ups, are something I look for after every game.    

This road trip is one of three groups of games, that the schedule we got, really will affect where we end up in the standings.    The first one was at the start of the season.   Tochett IMO, gets a lot of the props for that, he definitely got through to the players at the end of last season.    EDM is chasing, and our team is a big reason for that.     Would have felt .500 would have been ok the first six games, and hoped for 3-2-1.    Feel the same way with this road trip.    The last set of games is in February, when we tackle LA (and Vegas to a degree).    Once we hit March, the team gets a breather.     

So far, we've managed to win a lot of hockey games.   And for those who look at the standings, and just assume we should beat every team that's below us, shame on you.   Ottawa has suffered some bad injury luck with their PP anchor Chabot, and was considered a bubble playoff team to start the season.   Things haven't gone their way, but it doesn't mean they aren't a good hockey club.    Our first game we won too, but they carried more of the play (was there,  we did a good job of pushing their shots to the outside, but we got lucky, posts saved the win for us). 

Coaching change ... they are where we were a couple years ago.   Still growing, but have most of the pieces aside from goaltending.    Not sure how they will handle a season that's gone sideways for them.    

As for our team....Another win!  Fabulous.   Undefeated in 2024.   And yet again, which is something i haven't seen for a very long time with a Canucks group, we bounce back after a loss and win the next one.   It's a pattern that personally believe is a vital one to instil.  

During the rebuild.   Lots of losses.   Lots of winning streaks.  A yo-yo.  

The winning one, losing one, wasn't a lot of fun, but the silver lining, it could help us in the playoffs and hope it does.   Love to see this team go on a heater this month and gain some ground.    But also don't mind the win one, lose one at all compared to lose five, win five.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

i was gonna rip him too then I read this crap.

Please stop saying 'canucks fans' in your dissing, be more specific. 

You might be right about some, but for example...I am awesome. Top shelf. 

I didn't say all canucks fans. 

7 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

You know.... Most games I can't watch because I don't have access to a vpn which would allow me to watch the games.  If I didn't have access the score.... I'd swear the team wouldnt be better than .500 right now.  The usual suspects here constantly bring up the negatives to each game at nausium.  Seriously, I would have no idea thst this team is currently 3rd best team un the entire league.  Man that's really amazing don't you think!!!!  

There's a lot of streaming sites you can use

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agree Spook.   JamesB's write-ups, are something I look for after every game.    

This road trip is one of three groups of games, that the schedule we got, really will affect where we end up in the standings.    The first one was at the start of the season.   Tochett IMO, gets a lot of the props for that, he definitely got through to the players at the end of last season.    EDM is chasing, and our team is a big reason for that.     Would have felt .500 would have been ok the first six games, and hoped for 3-2-1.    Feel the same way with this road trip.    The last set of games is in February, when we tackle LA (and Vegas to a degree).    Once we hit March, the team gets a breather.     

So far, we've managed to win a lot of hockey games.   And for those who look at the standings, and just assume we should beat every team that's below us, shame on you.   Ottawa has suffered some bad injury luck with their PP anchor Chabot, and was considered a bubble playoff team to start the season.   Things haven't gone their way, but it doesn't mean they aren't a good hockey club.    Our first game we won too, but they carried more of the play (was there,  we did a good job of pushing their shots to the outside, but we got lucky, posts saved the win for us). 

Coaching change ... they are where we were a couple years ago.   Still growing, but have most of the pieces aside from goaltending.    Not sure how they will handle a season that's gone sideways for them.    

As for our team....Another win!  Fabulous.   Undefeated in 2024.   And yet again, which is something i haven't seen for a very long time with a Canucks group, we bounce back after a loss and win the next one.   It's a pattern that personally believe is a vital one to instil.  

During the rebuild.   Lots of losses.   Lots of winning streaks.  A yo-yo.  

The winning one, losing one, wasn't a lot of fun, but the silver lining, it could help us in the playoffs and hope it does.   Love to see this team go on a heater this month and gain some ground.    But also don't mind the win one, lose one at all compared to lose five, win five.  

Spot on amigo....

It isn't that long ago we were considered canon fodder, and now after 1/2 a good season some folks seems to expect us to smash the league and everyone in it...  Unreal....

I don't give a hoot if Ottawa is bottom of the league or not. You score 6 goals lucky or not, that's good in any book... on top of that, They had a lots of break aways they just couldn't convert... it happens.

Yes they have been really good at bounce backs, when they had a loss... that's a measure of a good team... 

If we get out of this road trip at .500 we've done fabulously... 

Let the joy continue...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I was there the game sucked - we should’ve lost - almost all of our  goals were fluky - Ottawa’s  goaltender gave us the game - he sucked

and we were once again slow and sloppy for two periods of the game

We sucked against the flyers and the senators 

We had a good start but this isn’t a hungry team it’s complacent and satisfied 

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

I’ve calm down a bit but I spent my hard earned  money to watch them suck… It was a shitty game - most of their goals were fluky bro… Ottawa should’ve won they played better for 2/3 of the game

Switch goalies and they would’ve beat us easily.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I’ve calm down a bit but I spent my hard earned  money to watch them suck… It was a shitty game - most of their goals were fluky bro… Ottawa should’ve won they played better for 2/3 of the game

Switch goalies and they would’ve beat us easily.

Alf hasn’t been to a game in a long while. Good scotch money saved. 

• Haha 2