PGT - Senaturds at Canucks - 01/02/24

PhillipBlunt

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Comments on tonight's game:

1. The coach, the players, and the media have all made the point that the Canucks had a great first period and then were not very good in the last two. They had some lucky bounces to go up 5-0 in the first, but they deserved to be up at least 3-0. Natural Stat Trick had the scoring chances at 14-4 in the Canucks' favor. Every line was good, and the D pairs were also good. Most of the Ottawa shots were "low-danger". 

2. Ottawa deserves some credit from coming back hard the rest of the way and they had the edge in play. But it was not a big edge. Natural Stat Trick had the scoring chances at 18 - 13 in favor of Ottawa over the last two periods. Demko made some big saves, but the Canucks also had some good chances. It is a bit frustrating to see the Canucks take their foot off the gas in the last two periods, but they still played pretty well. Overall, the Canucks won the expected goals battle comfortably (as well as winning the actual goals battle). 

3. As for individuals, by the eye test I though Suter had a great game and it turned out that the advanced stats agreed. He led the team in the HockeyStatCard advanced stats and he had the best expected goals percentage on Natural Stat Trick (NTS). Yes, his second goal was a lucky bounce, but that does not count for much on NTS. His overall play was just very good. In the third period he spent a lot of time with Miller and Boeser in addition to centering the 4th line and both lines were very good defensively when he was on the ice. I noticed quite a few great defensive plays. 

4.  Petey and Hughes were obviously very good as well. The Miller line was matched up against Tkachuk and did pretty well, especially when Suter was playing on that line. 

5. The third line was not as good tonight as it has been lately but was still pretty good.  

6. I think Kuzy is still struggling. His advanced stats were ok as he played with Petey and Mik, but by the eye test it looked to me like he had a hard time getting in on the forecheck (again) and was slow in getting to the puck on several occasions. And when he did handle the puck, it was like he was going for the fancy play instead of the simple play. With PDG injured I guess he stays in the lineup but he was not great tonight. To me Hogs looked pretty good, but Tocchet commented on him making defensive mistakes.

7. As for D pairings, Tocchet is going to have a hard time deciding who to take out to make room for Soucy. I think the Canucks definitely want Soucy in the line-up, but Juulsen was good again tonight (and played almost 17 minutes). Hughes and Hronek aren't going anywhere, Cole scored his first game of the season tonight, the team won't want to send Z to the press box and, as a RHD, Myers probably stays in the lineup. Maybe they will dress 7 D.

8. Demko was very good again.

Great to get the win with a tough road trip coming up. 

Fair level constructive criticism... Thank you.

Not whinning about obvious shortcomings the team had in the game.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I was there 

You pay and they show up for 1 period… 

that’s not how life works 

inconsistency is not how you maintain anything… 

you feel ripped off as a fan watching them mail it in while you shell out hard earned cash

They shoulda kept the pedal down and padded their stats ffs… where is the passion and hunger they had at the start of the season?

i won’t pay again to watch them mail it in for 2/3rd of a game and hang their goalie out to dry for 3 easy goals against the worst team in the east…

they need to be consistent ffs…

they can’t get away with this

they crapped the bed against the Flyers and then this… one period of decent hockey… 

There were many games, during our run of banners, Luongo won games for us on his own.   It's not like Demko needed to win that game for us on his own.    Watched TB a do the exact same thing,  often, get a lead and sit back and Vasilevsky did the rest.    Was at the other Sens game, it wasn't our best performance either, yet we came away with the win.     Sorry a 6-3 win makes you bitter, went to a lot of games too, that we've won over the past, and came away happy even though we didn't crush them.      Let's see how things go in January.   We can enjoy the little things, like the two points!     Who cares about what if's what if it was this, what if it was that.    At this point we lead the Pacific win every single tie breaker, and still in points.  

Edit:  Question, for the forum, who here actually predicted we'd be near the top of the league/West/Division early January?  As in before the season started.   Jeeze after the pre-season,  already thoughts of who is in the top five this year for draft picks, and what we can get for EP (ok that's still a thing).   And if they did, how much fun did the rest of us make of you for being such a homer?   

At this point, it would take the worst luck in the history of our team (injury wise, knocking on a lot of wood right now), to miss the playoffs.    Instead of an annual @Provost thread, popping up something in late November or early December pointing out how difficult it will actually be to make the show, we are worried about whether or not we can keep our spot.    And play a wild card team ourselves! 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't think .500 hockey will stand up in this division. This is a big road trip and the team heads out well rested. A little adversity is good for the team I think as they have to build towards playoffs. Hopefully this trip cements how Tocchet wants the team to compete. Love Miller's reality. I wanted PA to move JT last TDL and do I have to eat crow. My take was the timeline and obviously this group is ready now and not the 2 years out that I was thinking. This roster has more growth in it and can reach a higher playoff level.  

Also think that Allvin needs to seriously consider our first is on the table this year.   Not for a rental so much as a player we need to add, for this year and whatever happens, follow up.   

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

The upcoming road trip is hellacious. It will test us, it, hopefully will bring out the best in everyone. Maybe we need this.  I wouldn't go so far that it will dictate 

whether or not we get a good seeding in the playoffs but close. We need to clean a few things up and some of the teams we'll be taking on are good, very good.

I'll take 500 as a good road trip. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Is this a post game thread or a fandom policing thread. 
‘We have spent more time telling each other how to be a fan than discussing the thread. 
‘You know who else came out and criticized the effort tonight, JTMiller.

Too much time is spent telling other people what they should or should not say and it comes starts with the mods. 
‘If you want to come and just yelL WOOHOO EVERYTHING IS PERFECT after a win great. 
‘If you want to break things down good and bad even better. 

If you want to make someone eat shit for saying I didn’t like how something went, win or lose, fuck off!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Also think that Allvin needs to seriously consider our first is on the table this year.   Not for a rental so much as a player we need to add, for this year and whatever happens, follow up.   

It probably is in consideration given how well our 3 young Swedes are showing at the WJs. 

If we're talking about an impact player in the 23-24 year old age range it would make sense.

So which bottom feeders has a big top 6 f they want to move?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

I didn't say all canucks fans. 

But be more specific, if you feel you have to get after someone.

Also, I would argue that it is impossible for Canucks fans to be 'the worst in sports' as you claim.

Now, follow along...

My reasoning is that even the lamest Canucks fan is better than any fan of any other team, in any sport, because they are Canucks fans.

All other fans support other teams..and all other teams and their fans suck.

So, since Canucks fans are fans of the best and coolest team in the best sport in the world....it is impossible for them to be...'the worst in sports'

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, Devron said:

Petey had a great game even though his second goal was a lucky bounce.

Suter has been a great add.

Third line is always a handful for the opposition.

Demko glove save 😍

Dont forget the blocker save on Norris too

or the lightning quick reactionary toe save on the redirect

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I was there 

You pay and they show up for 1 period… 

that’s not how life works 

inconsistency is not how you maintain anything… 

you feel ripped off as a fan watching them mail it in while you shell out hard earned cash

They shoulda kept the pedal down and padded their stats ffs… where is the passion and hunger they had at the start of the season?

i won’t pay again to watch them mail it in for 2/3rd of a game and hang their goalie out to dry for 3 easy goals against the worst team in the east…

they need to be consistent ffs…

they can’t get away with this

they crapped the bed against the Flyers and then this… one period of decent hockey… 

I Dont Care Deal With It GIF

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It probably is in consideration given how well our 3 young Swedes are showing at the WJs. 

If we're talking about an impact player in the 23-24 year old age range it would make sense.

So which bottom feeders has a big top 6 f they want to move?

Never mind top 6, I'd take Zub off the team we played last night. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

There were many games, during our run of banners, Luongo won games for us on his own.   It's not like Demko needed to win that game for us on his own.    Watched TB a do the exact same thing,  often, get a lead and sit back and Vasilevsky did the rest.    Was at the other Sens game, it wasn't our best performance either, yet we came away with the win.     Sorry a 6-3 win makes you bitter, went to a lot of games too, that we've won over the past, and came away happy even though we didn't crush them.      Let's see how things go in January.   We can enjoy the little things, like the two points!     Who cares about what if's what if it was this, what if it was that.    At this point we lead the Pacific win every single tie breaker, and still in points.  

Edit:  Question, for the forum, who here actually predicted we'd be near the top of the league/West/Division early January?  As in before the season started.   Jeeze after the pre-season,  already thoughts of who is in the top five this year for draft picks, and what we can get for EP (ok that's still a thing).   And if they did, how much fun did the rest of us make of you for being such a homer?   

At this point, it would take the worst luck in the history of our team (injury wise, knocking on a lot of wood right now), to miss the playoffs.    Instead of an annual @Provost thread, popping up something in late November or early December pointing out how difficult it will actually be to make the show, we are worried about whether or not we can keep our spot.    And play a wild card team ourselves! 

This....

Pointed this out as well a few week ago...

Let's see some fingers.... yeah didn't think so....

george w bush middle finger GIF

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

But be more specific, if you feel you have to get after someone.

Also, I would argue that it is impossible for Canucks fans to be 'the worst in sports' as you claim.

Now, follow along...

My reasoning is that even the lamest Canucks fan is better than any fan of any other team, in any sport, because they are Canucks fans.

All other fans support other teams..and all other teams and their fans suck.

So, since Canucks fans are fans of the best and coolest team in the best sport in the world....it is impossible for them to be...'the worst in sports'

I don't need to be specific. you'll know if I'm referring to you, don't worry.