Dakota Joshua | #81 | C/W

Jess

Just now, Alflives said:

He could definitely help Bedard. As long as we clear all his cap.

my ask is too high I know, but CHI does have two 3rds, I could see us netting one of those. 

And he would be great with Bedard, he could teach the kid a lot about how to play the right way in that half of the rink. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Joshua plays pk minutes. Garland is okay 5 on 5 but only against bottom six forwards and bottom pairing D. He’s small and slow. He can’t play against top players. Joshua can. 
Keep Joshua and move out all of Garlsnd’s cap. 

Garland is what makes Joshua. 
without Garland doing the dirty work in the corners, Joshua is going to have to fight his way out of a corner AND to the net. Right now its Garland drawing guys into the corner and coming out with the puck and feeding Joshua who only has to muscle by one guy and get to the net. Garland is critical in the bottom 6. 

• Like 1

It surprises me how many Canucks fans are so willing to move on from Garland. I'd rather the Canucks had more players that play with his kind of effort game in and game out.

Garland led all Canucks forwards in corsi for % at 55.7%

Led the Canucks in takeaways with 51 while only having 9 giveaways.

Was 2nd on the team in expected +/- behind only Quinn Hughes.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Garland is what makes Joshua. 
without Garland doing the dirty work in the corners, Joshua is going to have to fight his way out of a corner AND to the net. Right now its Garland drawing guys into the corner and coming out with the puck and feeding Joshua who only has to muscle by one guy and get to the net. Garland is critical in the bottom 6. 

What does Garland contribute when he’s not in the o-zone? He’s a liability all the other time he’s on the ice. Add to that he can’t play against top players. That’s why he can’t play PP or PK. Joshua is a much more useful player. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

What does Garland contribute when he’s not in the o-zone? He’s a liability all the other time he’s on the ice. Add to that he can’t play against top players. That’s why he can’t play PP or PK. Joshua is a much more useful player. 

Garland is consistently strong in the defensive end and is always willing to get in front of shots, he just doesn't have to do it as often because his lines always drive play the other direction.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, boziffous said:

It surprises me how many Canucks fans are so willing to move on from Garland. I'd rather the Canucks had more players that play with his kind of effort game in and game out.

Garland led all Canucks forwards in corsi for % at 55.7%

Led the Canucks in takeaways with 51 while only having 9 giveaways.

Was 2nd on the team in expected +/- behind only Quinn Hughes.

Wow - Don't think this is a move (moving Garland)  I would make at this time unless the player they are getting is substantially >> Garland's impact which was really outstanding during the post season. I also like his cap hit plus he fits into RT's system.

Name three noticeable impact players for the "duration" of the playoffs and would probably include Silov, Garland and JT/ Zadorov.  At high pressure situations - they performed very well - in fact, I would say the impact was Garland - Silov as the top 2 performers.  This was against the Oilers who could after next couple nights, be qualifying the Cup finals, so not a small feat for Garland considering the opponent.

If the return was possibly to keep Zadorov or Lindholm (or another proven playoff performer who fits RT system), then maybe there are some possibilities. 

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

On 5/31/2024 at 11:06 AM, Alflives said:

Garland 5v5

45%oZS

55%CORSI

drew the most penalties in the regular season on the team

6 giveaways THE ENTIRE SEASON 5v5
Led the team with 47 takeaways 5v5.

TKA/GVA = why his possession was so strong.

Garland ranked 5th on the team in expected goals for with 50.09

He ranked FIRST out of all forwards in expected goals for. 

He had one of the lowest xGA

Garland had a direct relation to possession, sub 50 ozone starts and over 50% possession. He does indeed have an impact in both ends of the ice.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Garland 5v5

45%oZS

55%CORSI

drew the most penalties in the regular season on the team

6 giveaways THE ENTIRE SEASON 5v5
Led the team with 47 takeaways 5v5.

TKA/GVA = why his possession was so strong.

Garland ranked 5th on the team in expected goals for with 50.09

He ranked FIRST out of all forwards in expected goals for. 

He had one of the lowest xGA

Garland had a direct relation to possession, sub 50 ozone starts and over 50% possession. He does indeed have an impact in both ends of the ice.

You point out that Garland now has some trade value. We can clear his whole cap. Hogs plays those minutes (3rd line; just like Garland) and we take the 4 mil in cap savings and apply that to keeping DJ, Big Z, and Bluegar.

Get ‘er done Allvin! 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You point out that Garland now has some trade value. We can clear his whole cap. Hogs plays those minutes (3rd line; just like Garland) and we take the 4 mil in cap savings and apply that to keeping DJ, Big Z, and Bluegar.

Get ‘er done Allvin! 

I don't think Hogs plays much like Garly and besides, he is a LW.  He seems more like an opportunist and

a bit of a puck hog, who is more suited to the top 6. I think he may go with Mik in a trade.

Garly drives the 3rd line and is great at both ends of the ice.  It appears that

Joshua will be asking too much $, so I would be quite happy if they pick up

a cheaper (1.2M) option of James van Riemsdyck to replace him.  He played

really well for Boston this season for $1m.

Van Riemsdyk (1.2m)  Suter (1.6m)  Garly (4.95)  $7.75m for a 3rd line isn't bad. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Get ‘er done Allvin! 

I it would be better to rid ourselves of Mikayev first.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I it would be better to rid ourselves of Mikayev first.

Mik is big, fast and can play well with top players. He’s been injured. It’s Garland that will be moved for cap space. 

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mik is big, fast and can play well with top players. He’s been injured. It’s Garland that will be moved for cap space. 

Size has nothing to do with Mikheyev's game. Garland plays a far more physical style than Mikheyev in spite of his diminutive size.

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mik doesn't use his size and his offence indicates that he doesn't belong in the top 6.  Without

Garland, the 3rd line dries up and becomes ordinary.  For a similar amount of salary cap, Garland

gives the team a lot more, by driving a 3rd line that were often times better than the 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Size has nothing to do with Mikheyev's game. Garland plays a far more physical style than Mikheyev in spite of his diminutive size.

Garland has positive value. We very likely could move all his cap. Hogs replaces those minutes. Then we could allocate the saving to keep DJ and Zadorov. Mik is a useful player when healthy. He’s big and fast and proven with top players. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Mik doesn't use his size and his offence indicates that he doesn't belong in the top 6.  Without

Garland, the 3rd line dries up and becomes ordinary.  For a similar amount of salary cap, Garland

gives the team a lot more, by driving a 3rd line that were often times better than the 2nd. 

Garland is a third line winger who doesn’t play pp or pk. He doesn’t do well against top players. That’s why he’s not on special teams because it’s the other club’s top players. Keeping DJ and Zadorov is way more important than keeping Garland. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland is a third line winger who doesn’t play pp or pk. He doesn’t do well against top players. That’s why he’s not on special teams because it’s the other club’s top players. Keeping DJ and Zadorov is way more important than keeping Garland. 

Yes, thank you!

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

DJ and Zad will want around +/- 9M.  Add Mik's 4.75 and to that (13.75m) and you have

enough for some nice pieces coming back to improve the top 6.

Are you thinking  DJ   Suter or Blue  Mik will be as good a line?  All to save the $200ksx2yr by

trading Garly and keeping Mik.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

DJ and Zad will want around +/- 9M.  Add Mik's 4.75 and to that (13.75m) and you have

enough for some nice pieces coming back to improve the top 6.

Are you thinking  DJ   Suter or Blue  Mik will be as good a line?  All to save the $200ksx2yr by

trading Garly and keeping Mik.

I’m thinking using the 4 mil be trading Garland for cap and replacing his minutes with Hogs will allow us to keep DJ and Zadorov. 
Hogs Suter DJ 

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking using the 4 mil be trading Garland for cap and replacing his minutes with Hogs will allow us to keep DJ and Zadorov. 
Hogs Suter DJ 

DJ is a LW, regardless...I'll agree to disagree with you and wait to see what happens in the

offseason.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agreed. Unless it’s a centre. So trade Garlsnd and Hogs plays those third line minutes. allocate the cap savings to DJ and Big Z. 

Hogs should stay on Petey's wing.  Don't demote him.  

27 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Hogs should stay on Petey's wing.  Don't demote him.  

Then Pods or Bains can play Garland’s third line minutes. The point is Garland is a third line guy who doesn’t play PP or PK. If we can move off all his cap and have his minutes replaced by a 1 mil player we save 4. The four mil gets us DJ and Zadorov. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Then Pods or Bains can play Garland’s third line minutes. The point is Garland is a third line guy who doesn’t play PP or PK. If we can move off all his cap and have his minutes replaced by a 1 mil player we save 4. The four mil gets us DJ and 

You getthat when we were best last year, one reason we were was the Joshua bluegar Garland third line.  

You don't mess with the reasons why you win. Cause then you win less. 

Save money on the 4th line and the third pair.