[GDT] Vancouver @ St. Louis - January 4th, 5pt/8et - Enterprise Center - St. Louis, Missouri.

Chickenspear

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because despite how the team is doing.

We're doomed because of Tocc.

We're doomed because of Allvin.

We're doomed because of JR.

Or at least what some would have you believe on here.

Friday The 13Th Horror GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tas said:

what is the benefit of skepticism for a fan of a team?

This was @Jester13's comment but I know hey. Not to be hurt again I guess or to ultimately be "right" in the end. It's such a weird situation. In most markets the media are ultimately behind the team they are reporting on. Here it seems that their job is to trip them up at every turn and pile on when things aren't going well.

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This was @Jester13's comment but I know hey. Not to be hurt again I guess or to ultimately be "right" in the end. It's such a weird situation. In most markets the media are ultimately behind the team they are reporting on. Here it seems that their job is to trip them up at every turn and pile on when things aren't going well.

Most markets have multiple pro sports teams that they can choose to focus on. In Vancouver, there's really the Canucks, with the Lions and Whitecaps being on a second tier of importance. The media here has some solid ACTUAL reporters like MacIntyre and Kuzma (although Ben does ask some dumb questions from time to time, his articles are solid though), but the majority do a poor job of actually reporting, preferring to create controversy where there is none (Paterson, Drance, everyone at Canucks Army), so the fans are subjected to a varying level of competency and professionalism.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Petey and Kuzy together are only fun to watch on 1/2 the ice. He's got to find a way to not be a liability without the puck. 

It sounds like there is an actual plan in place and the agent doesn't sound worried. It might just be how we have to manage his minutes this year. 

They're actually working with him when he's scratched too. Also, Tocchet said in today's pre-game that he needs guys that can forecheck. He repeated that. So we know Kuz has been challenged in that area. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

They're actually working with him when he's scratched too. Also, Tocchet said in today's pre-game that he needs guys that can forecheck. He repeated that. So we know Kuz has been challenged in that area. 

Tocchet knows what he's doing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

What'd he say?

Never mind what he said.  Didn't Miller call him "Drancer" and take a swat at him in his interview?

Oh yeah, he kind of shut him down for another stupid question or something, called him Drancer, and sent him packing!

Gotta luv JT, guy's a classic.  Can't wait until he is skating around with The Stanley Cup.

12 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Batch is assuming only a forward is getting swapped, but I’m sitting here wondering when Soucy will make his return.

Didn’t Tocchet say he was close and could’ve even played last game? 

Of the next 5 games, I don’t think there’s a better team than the Blues for Soucy to shake some of the rust off. Sitting 23rd in the league with an offense that is 6th worst in goals for.

Would we ever run 11/7 and keep Cole, Soucy, and Juulsen all in the lineup? The team didn’t look terrible without PDG for a solid chunk of last game. I know Miller didn’t love having a different LW every shift, but I think it could be interesting. 

2 hours ago, MathIsFun said:

Still not sure what "PDO" stands for. 

PDO

This statistic adds together a team’s shooting and save percentages at 5-on-5. The NHL terms this stat “shooting plus save percentage.” The shooting percentage represents the frequency a team scores on one of its shots, while the save percentage is the frequency of saves made by its goalies.

The Tampa Bay Lightning had a 5-on-5 shooting percentage of 9.4 last season and a save percentage of 92.9. Those numbers added up equal 102.3. The stat is then multiplied by ten, giving the Lightning the highest PDO at 1023. The Toronto Maple Leafs were second at 1019, while the Nashville Predators were third at 1018.

Because the combined shot and save percentages of the league’s 31 teams will always equal 100 per cent — a shot on goal either goes in or it doesn’t — a club above that number can usually expect a regression over a large enough sample size, while one below can expect the opposite.

The stat is also applied to players, with Toronto’s Auston Matthews leading the way last season at 1070 followed by linemate William Nylander at 1058.

What PDO as an acronym means, haven't been able to find that either.

Source: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/corsi-pdo-explaining-hockeys-analytics-terms/

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Most markets have multiple pro sports teams that they can choose to focus on. In Vancouver, there's really the Canucks, with the Lions and Whitecaps being on a second tier of importance. The media here has some solid ACTUAL reporters like MacIntyre and Kuzma (although Ben does ask some dumb questions from time to time, his articles are solid though), but the majority do a poor job of actually reporting, preferring to create controversy where there is none (Paterson, Drance, everyone at Canucks Army), so the fans are subjected to a varying level of competency and professionalism.

Agreed on all fronts. At least MacIntyre and Kuzma have earned their stripes and sometimes questionable takes/questions.

As far as the game goes look like that Thomas, Buch, Kyrou line is the key to shutting these guys down. Also looks like Parayko is having a good year too. I always like him as a perfect match for Quinn in the past, although he's aging quickly now.

• Vintage 1

Say what you will about Drance, he is good at his job ... which is (1) getting everyone talking about him first and (2) throw in some hockey stuff now and then.

I personally would rank him about the same level as a stopped clock on getting things right daily but on Point (1), skimming through the thread responses here, he is banging on all cylinders given the number of threads / comments related directly to him (including this one, LOL).

8 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

PDO

Because the combined shot and save percentages of the league’s 31 teams will always equal 100 per cent — a shot on goal either goes in or it doesn’t — a club above that number can usually expect a regression over a large enough sample size, while one below can expect the opposite.

Source: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/corsi-pdo-explaining-hockeys-analytics-terms/

I think this paragraph here is why PDO is a bad stat.  Why should this be assumed?  The Canucks (in particular under Benning) prioritized players with great shots.  They also have one of the better goaltenders in the league.  So they should have a high PDO.  Even if you focus on just goaltending it falls apart; if your goalie is lights out that means your shooters have to crap the bed in order to not be considered "lucky".  +/- is a better stat than this.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Ok, I'm starting to get a little bit pissed at the Kuzmenko treatment.  There's no way a guy like Aman should be in over him.  Play him in the top 6 he's been playing better lately he's definitely not been worse than the fourth liners and Suter would make that 4th line so much better.  Also, Lafferty has been so bad lately why is he getting special treatment?

While I'm not saying that Kuz should be scratched, I thought he was back-checking a lot better the last few games than before the initial scratching, but if you're not going to play Kuz in the top 6 he should be scratched.  Aman is a better choice in the bottom 6.  That said I am not sure Lafferty is a better player in that spot with Petey.  

Kuz is a defensive liability who no longer outscores his defensive deficit.

i.e. Worthless, until issues are solved.

Private Drancer has a face for radio, a voice for the deaf, and an innate ability to piss most people off no matter wtf he is saying.

Why the Canucks even allow him to hang around is beyond me.

Clicks DO NOT EQUAL commendations.

54 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

PDO

This statistic adds together a team’s shooting and save percentages at 5-on-5. The NHL terms this stat “shooting plus save percentage.” The shooting percentage represents the frequency a team scores on one of its shots, while the save percentage is the frequency of saves made by its goalies.

The Tampa Bay Lightning had a 5-on-5 shooting percentage of 9.4 last season and a save percentage of 92.9. Those numbers added up equal 102.3. The stat is then multiplied by ten, giving the Lightning the highest PDO at 1023. The Toronto Maple Leafs were second at 1019, while the Nashville Predators were third at 1018.

The stat is also applied to players, with Toronto’s Auston Matthews leading the way last season at 1070 followed by linemate William Nylander at 1058.

What PDO as an acronym means, haven't been able to find that either.

This what I found:

PDO: The seeming acronym doesn't stand for anything - it was the online handle of Brian King who created the stat in hockey. The definition of the metric PDO is listed below but Wikipedia actually has a page for hockey analytics, so if you want to know more click herehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytics_(ice_hockey)

Like most advanced stats it's pretty weak and useless on it's own. Just a bunch of numbers that provide of snapshot of what happened without any context. Ignores how a team sets up their offence, what their shot selection is, how good their players are, and how good their goalie is. 

To me they might as well make up a new stat called goals for and against actual. If your team scores more goals than the other team you can be reasonably sure they're going to win the game. :frantic: 🤣

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Veskit said:

While I'm not saying that Kuz should be scratched, I thought he was back-checking a lot better the last few games than before the initial scratching, but if you're not going to play Kuz in the top 6 he should be scratched.  Aman is a better choice in the bottom 6.  That said I am not sure Lafferty is a better player in that spot with Petey.  

Agreed, Kuz for Guentz please ... pffttt pffffttt pffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttt ... *cough* *cough* ... *wheeze* ... However, JR/PA have a Penguins connection (obviously) and there is some legs to this "rumor" ... take if for what it is.

Personally, I would swap K for G without knowing if he would resign in by July 1st, if possible ... just my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Say what you will about Drance, he is good at his job ... which is (1) getting everyone talking about him first and (2) throw in some hockey stuff now and then.

I personally would rank him about the same level as a stopped clock on getting things right daily but on Point (1), skimming through the thread responses here, he is banging on all cylinders given the number of threads / comments related directly to him (including this one, LOL).

Sure, he's agitating and thinks he's being clever by being the counter-point. But if that's all he has, he's fucked. 

He's an absolute idiot. Even Miller "politely reminded him" the other night. 

If he's trying to alienate himself, he's doing a hell of a job. 

If you want to be taken seriously, sure, you can question how things are, but don't be that stick in the mud, who clearly is a hater and trying to dig up anything just to be a shit disturber just for the sake of it. 

F off Tiny Drancer. 

• Upvote 1