[GDT] Vancouver @ St. Louis - January 4th, 5pt/8et - Enterprise Center - St. Louis, Missouri.

Chickenspear

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think he's probably still single minded. Stuck always trying to figure out how to score a pretty goal while forgetting the staples, like get the puck in deep, forecheck, always protect your net, especially down low, chip the puck up ahead of you and always make sure you have more players on the d-side of the puck than the opposition. After that create offence from your turnovers and your passing staples. 

That's exactly it ... well said ... and doing it all at a higher level with the right motor and mentality. When he gets scratched, that's what they're working on with him. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

First of all, Drance is an idiot. It's pretty apparent. 

Secondly, he's a Make Believe fanboy. 

Third, he's an idiot! But half kidding aside, if you're going to try and pull that shit, go all the way... like Stern, Rogan, or even Dennis Miller. 

Don't be some half-assed pussy. Either dive in full steam ahead or back the fuck off and shut your stupid mouth.

Exactly. But that comes with consequences.

My guess is that he's afraid to go all in because it'll revoke/threaten his access to the team.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The media here does this on purpose. They actually believe they're right and smart in doing so. It's the "David Pratt stir the pot playbook". You can even see some of these guys actually laughing at fans on the air and pretending to be on their side. Watch the last D&D interview with Pratt and the Drance interview that immediately followed. These guys are playing fans like flutes. 

The thing is ... the media in this town could get away with much of their negative schtick because the team was losing for years on end. The media could hide behind that because it made them appear to be right. Now that the team is winning, they're getting exposed because their negative schtick makes them look foolish.

Dave "Sitting down and slugging it out" Pratt.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly. But that comes with consequences.

My guess is that he's afraid to go all in because it'll revoke/threaten his access to the team.

I mean you cant go all Don Cherry but you also have to show some balls. Either way the longevity is not in your favor with to much, or not enough where your a joke and not taken seriously. What would you do. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Vancan said:

I mean you cant go all Don Cherry but you also have to show some balls. Either way the longevity is not in your favor with to much, or not enough where your a joke and not taken seriously. What would you do. 

Don Cherry will never be replaced. Obviously not forgotten. He was a Bruin fan at heart. 

Never one to hold back,albeit positive or negative.

Media today is simple minded to garner debates. One answer to any remark blows up . Therefore they (media) have done the job .

3 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Don Cherry will never be replaced. Obviously not forgotten. He was a Bruin fan at heart. 

Media today is simple minded to garner debates. One answer to any remark blows up . Therefore they (media) have done the job .

Juice is pretty awesome. Even Jen isn't bad.

• Upvote 1

Please give all the Stats guys a break. Its not that the STATS are wrong, its just blowing all their minds that the CANUCKS are leading in both sides of the ice.

SO they are all busy trying to defend their math but what they should be doing is just admitting the CANUCKS ARE GOOD but they just cant say it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

That's what I was saying earlier, regarding presenting a controversial persona. 

And like you say, that combined with intentionally trying to create "debate", dissension, and so on, that's what they obviously, try to drag people into. 

They, themselves, are trying to create "their own brand", regardless of the makeup, whether we like it or not. 

Amidst their own chaos. 

Anyway, to hell with 'em all! GCG!

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Juice is pretty awesome. Even Jen isn't bad.

They both just seem to have fun.  People like that.  Neither seem to have a plan to take over media 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Vancan said:

It's not about what I would do. You can have longevity with too much. We see it all the time. But too much has consequences. If you're willing to accept the consequences, being fearless can take you a long way. 

It comes down to what you value. Me, I want to be respected for my work and my values as a professional, and respected by leaders in my industry, my peers, and to earn respect from those I admire and learned from in my industry. That's where I want my credibility to come from first and foremost. Also integrity and class will always win.

Look at Bieksa, he's doing it right. He's earning the respect of valued, credible journalists, owns who he is, has class, is brutally honest but also fair. 

Interestingly, Friedman has done a decent job of preserving his credibility, he's fair, has some class, but has also had to play in the cesspool of today's modern media. He needs to be careful.

So, regarding Drance, I actually believe he has the ability to be fair but he's trying to be that negative, salacious stir the pot guy. That's how he's trying to earn popularity and respect.

He's trying to be a Pratt rather than a Bieksa or Friedman. 

48 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Spot on ... people don't understand the persona thing. The thing is ... you either have it or you don't and his does come off forced. Joe Rogan did the same thing as Stern, using controversy/conspiracy to become mainstream.

On Drance: he's genuinely annoying because he tries to come off as a nerdy know-it-all like a lot of hockey analytics people. I find it especially annoying because he never did any of the hard work around learning the base knowledge around math and statistics. 

Drance studied journalism and online marketing. He also has an army (or a bot army) that attacks (and downvotes, and reports to mods) users who say anything bad about him on Reddit.  

Now, I must say that I do enjoy his shows because he gets into the nitty gritty of the menagerial aspect of hockey.  Drance also does a good job of pointing out a lot of details from the games the morning after.  

On Joe Rogan: I liked him before his podcast as a longtime hardcore MMA fan. Then I found him a bit annoying for a while, but now I've come back around and really enjoy his podcasts because he lets his guests speak and doesn't try to take over. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

They both just seem to have fun.  People like that.  Neither seem to have a plan to take over media 

Even Friedman is starting to have some canucks love, cause we signed that defense guy. They are all so slow to admit anything good about the Canucks though

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

someone has to be.... I hope its not Kuzy but if there aint no bananas or pepsi, they might do him a favor

Has tochett giving his line up  for tonight ?

24 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Please give all the Stats guys a break. Its not that the STATS are wrong, its just blowing all their minds that the CANUCKS are leading in both sides of the ice.

SO they are all busy trying to defend their math but what they should be doing is just admitting the CANUCKS ARE GOOD but they just cant say it

My beef when it comes to PDO is that it is fundamentally framed wrong as a luck metric when in reality it is indicator of overall performance.

High PDO means a team is performing well both offensively and defensively l.

Low PDO means a team is shit on both side of the puck.

Average either means a team is hoid at only one side or just you know average. 

Yes the stat tend to regress to 1 but that is the case when we look across multiple seasons over large sample sizes when team makeup ebbs and flows and as players improve/regress along their age curve. 

3 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Even Friedman is starting to have some canucks love, cause we signed that defense guy. They are all so slow to admit anything good about the Canucks though

Since Bieksa joined, the comrade and witty banter has never been better. Even Hrudy is getting involved, and quite frankly comes up with some comic gems. Rarely ever happened till the juice was stirred up. Hell KB even made Burke laugh occasionally when he was on CBC.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Since Bieksa joined, the comrade and witty banter has never been better. Even Hrudy is getting involved, and quite frankly comes up with some comic gems. Rarely ever happened till the juice was stirred up. Hell KB even made Burke laugh occasionally when he was on CBC.  

yeah but only recently the ice seems to have broken between Juice/Freedman when talking canucks... like the last month. Its going to be a great year! I dont want them to say Canucks are the favorite, we saw what that did to deadmonton.

6 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Man I hope Kuz isn't scratched. We need him to either find his game or keep his value decent enough that we can trade him asap. 

Scratching him repeatedly is the worst outcome for everyone. 

I agree. And the team has built up enough of a cushion in the standings that they can take a chance that Kuzy makes a bad play or two before figuring things out, but he's only really going to learn by playing. If he's still ineffective after another 5-10 game stretch, then I think they have to move on from him. I don't doubt for a second that he'd be effective in a more free-wheeling system, like under Boudreau.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I agree. And the team has built up enough of a cushion in the standings that they can take a chance that Kuzy makes a bad play or two before figuring things out, but he's only really going to learn by playing. If he's still ineffective after another 5-10 game stretch, then I think they have to move on from him. I don't doubt for a second that he'd be effective in a more free-wheeling system, like under Boudreau.

Kuz will figure it out. A bit is the language barrier but basically Tocc said he can let loose when he is deep, not when he just goes over the blue.

I think by all star break everything is worked out