[GDT] Vancouver @ St. Louis - January 4th, 5pt/8et - Enterprise Center - St. Louis, Missouri.

Chickenspear

Really curious about who is getting scratched tonight.  Might be a Tocc tactic tho to get Kuz fried up tho.  If not, his time in VAN might hr coming to an end.

18 minutes ago, 24K said:

My beef when it comes to PDO is that it is fundamentally framed wrong as a luck metric when in reality it is indicator of overall performance.

High PDO means a team is performing well both offensively and defensively l.

Low PDO means a team is shit on both side of the puck.

Average either means a team is hoid at only one side or just you know average. 

Yes the stat tend to regress to 1 but that is the case when we look across multiple seasons over large sample sizes when team makeup ebbs and flows and as players improve/regress along their age curve. 

It's frankly the same as any other stat in that sense too. When McDavid scores 150 points, do you say "boy, what a lucky year" or do you say "boy, he played well that year!" All stats tend to regress to the mean, not just PDO. For some reason, it gets weirdly undue large amounts of attention when it comes to regression to the mean.

Sure, it's statistically unlikely that we maintain our PDO, but that doesn't necessarily just mean luck. It could just mean we're playing very well with great shots and great goaltending. You could ask if that's sustainable the same way you could ask if a player on a 10-game point streak is sustainable. PDO is not much more a "luck" indicator than other stats. It's simply an indicator of goaltending and shooting prowess.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Vancan said:

Exactly! Last year Vegas had 

-Jets

-Oilers

-Stars

Florida had

-Bruins

-Leafs

-Hurricanes

Although there are no easy match ups in the playoffs, its hard to argue that that the Panthers didn't have a much harder road. It showed in the finals as a healthier more rested Knights team rolled over them most games. 

For sure! We just match up better against certain teams. Vegas/LA play a heavy game. The additions of Zadorav, Cole, Soucy along with Myers should help. But why take chances ? Rather let those 2 teams beat each other up 

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

i think I remember something about a player crying and hugging Bruce when he left...

If I am right, I wonder if that was EP...

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

i think I remember something about a player crying and hugging Bruce when he left...

If I am right, I wonder if that was EP...

The kids are so emotional. Betcha Huggy was crying too.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, tas said:

the fluky goals last game notwithstanding, nobody with a clue who's watched this team all year could describe their performance as lucky. 

advanced stats junkies have always been and remain absolutely blind idiots. 

Sure made me happy when PIT won back to back cups with mediocre possession stats, after years of clubs creating advanced stats departments (and in ARI and TO's case GMs), after LA and CHI ... some math "geniuses" figured out they won their cups because, and only because (like WTF?!!),  they held the puck 5-10% more then the average team (puck possession is born!).   And that's what every dubass in the league went out to look for ... and PIT shredded it.   And then it was "speed speed speed".    Wonder how much MTL, NYI, EDM and a bunch of other past winners held the puck for .. maybe even 55%!! That's elite stuff.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

For all those choosing to freak out over Kuz potentially being scratched, let's remember what Dan Milstein, his agent, said during the last scratch freak-outs ...

Shhh that doesn't fit the narrative.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure made me happy when PIT won back to back cups with mediocre possession stats, after years of clubs creating advanced stats departments (and in ARI and TO's case GMs), after LA and CHI ... some math "geniuses" figured out they won their cups because, and only because (like WTF?!!),  they held the puck 5-10% more then the average team (puck possession is born!).   And that's what every dubass in the league went out to look for ... and PIT shredded it.   And then it was "speed speed speed".    Wonder how much MTL, NYI, EDM and a bunch of other past winners held the puck for .. maybe even 55%!! That's elite stuff.  

don't get me wrong, analytics have a big place in hockey, but not at all the way the general public and media attempt to use them.

teams' internal analytics departments design their own metrics to track specific trends and indicators to either verify or debunk things they've perceived with their own human senses. some groups are better than others, find more meaningful patterns to follow than others, are able to better deduce underlying reasons. 

all the public data is a bunch of people who can't make sense of what they're watching hopelessly chasing their tails. 

Edited by tas

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Bruce still my favourite couch ever,

may not be the best coach for this team. But the man was a legend and the reason Petey and Hughes are both good penalty killers 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1