[proposal] - Canucks bringing in an enforcer

edit - I’ve re-edited this post and idea.  For me original proposal, see below. My new idea is that the Canucks should target either Anaheim’s Ross Johnston or Montreal’s Arber Xhekaj.

———————————————————

To Canucks:  Nicolas Deslauriers

To Flyers:  low draft pick (and/or PDG?)

Although the game of hockey has evolved as far as fighting goes, I believe that it’s still necessary to have an enforcer come playoff time so that opponents will think twice about runs at star players.  

Or do I need to remind everyone of 2011 Boston, 2015 Ferland, and even Reaves 2020?

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

Philly is in a playoff spot. Why would the sell off a guy who has 3 years left on his contract and has dressed for every ga e but 1 this season for a late draft pick? Also, he has a 20 team NTC. He's moved around alot in his career. I suspect he negotiated a ntc because he was tired of moving all the time 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Philly is in a playoff spot. Why would the sell off a guy who has 3 years left on his contract and has dressed for every ga e but 1 this season for a late draft pick? Also, he has a 20 team NTC. He's moved around alot in his career. I suspect he negotiated a ntc because he was tired of moving all the time 

For some reason, I thought he’d been a healthy scratch numerous times this season.

• Jeremy Hronek changed the title to [proposal] - Canucks bringing in an enforcer
6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Any appetite for Anaheim’s Ross Johnston or Montreal’s Arber Xhekaj?

I don't know much about Johnston.  I doubt Montreal is interested in moving Xhekaj right now.  Certainly not for a late pick 

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Any appetite for Anaheim’s Ross Johnston or Montreal’s Arber Xhekaj?

Wifi is staying.  He is a fan favourite and we have no room for more D-men.  Ross the Boss Johnston?  Why not just trade for Ryan the Muffin Man Reaves?  I'm sure Toronto would be more than happy to trade him for free.

Our team is not lacking in toughness.  If someone needs to drop the mitts, we have tons of willing combatants.

We have more than enough size.

Forwards: Joshua (6'3", 208lbs), Miller (6'1", 218lbs)

Defense: Myers (6'8", 229lbs), Zadorov (6'5", 248lbs), Soucy (6'5", 208lbs), Ian Cole (6'1", 225lbs), Noah Juulsen (6'0", 201lbs)

I'd say we're already more physically capable than most NHL teams, especially on the blue line.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

We have more than enough size.

Forwards: Joshua (6'3", 208lbs), Miller (6'1", 218lbs)

Defense: Myers (6'8", 229lbs), Zadorov (6'5", 248lbs), Soucy (6'5", 208lbs), Ian Cole (6'1", 225lbs), Noah Juulsen (6'0", 201lbs)

I'd say we're already more physically capable than most NHL teams, especially on the blue line.

I completely forgot about the fact that we have Zadorov. 🤦‍♂️ 

I wonder what it would take to get Lawson Crouse (RW/LW 4.3M x 4 years) and Sean Durzi (RHD 1.7M x 1year RFA) from Arizona? 

A package of Kuzmenko (5.5M x 2 years) and Mark Friedman (775k x 1 year) and a second? Would that get it done?

Crouse has 24 points (five on the power play, one shorthanded) with 79 shots on net, 63 hits and a plus-6 rating through 35 contests this season. The winger continues to play a strong physical and two-way game in a second-line role.

Durzi is just a steady defenceman, He is calm with the puck on his stick, is an excellent skater which allows him to contribute offensively while he tends to make very few mistakes.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

I wonder what it would take to get Lawson Crouse (RW/LW 4.3M x 4 years) and Sean Durzi (RHD 1.7M x 1year RFA) from Arizona? 

A package of Kuzmenko (5.5M x 2 years) and Mark Friedman (775k x 1 year) and a second? Would that get it done?

Crouse has 24 points (five on the power play, one shorthanded) with 79 shots on net, 63 hits and a plus-6 rating through 35 contests this season. The winger continues to play a strong physical and two-way game in a second-line role.

Durzi is just a steady defenceman, He is calm with the puck on his stick, is an excellent skater which allows him to contribute offensively while he tends to make very few mistakes.

I’d love to have Crouse but I doubt Kuzmenko and a pick gets errr done.  Arizona is also in playoff contention right now and so won’t be looking to sell (although I suspect that they will drop in the standings in this coming half).  

Problem is none of these guys play hockey or kill penalties as well as our bottom-6. I'd rather our guys. We've got guys like Kuzmenko, Hoglander and Lafferty as healthy scratches some games - there's no way those plugs take a roster spot from those guys.

We don't have a goon or enforcer and we're at the top of the league right now and our bottom-6 is one of the best in the league. We have a small, not-physical Suter at 3C who's scoring at a 28 goal pace and kills penalties better than most 3Cs.

The age of the enforcer is long gone.

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Problem is none of these guys play hockey or kill penalties as well as our bottom-6. I'd rather our guys. We've got guys like Kuzmenko, Hoglander and Lafferty as healthy scratches some games - there's no way those plugs take a roster spot from those guys.

We don't have a goon or enforcer and we're at the top of the league right now and our bottom-6 is one of the best in the league. We have a small, not-physical Suter at 3C who's scoring at a 28 goal pace and kills penalties better than most 3Cs.

The age of the enforcer is long gone.

All good points and when creating this post, I had completely forgotten about the fact that we have Zadorov now.  

While you are correct that the age of the enforcer is long gone, I still think you need that one guy that can beat up all/most players in the league if it came down to it.  

Is fighting being phased out of the game?  Absolutely.  Will opposing players still take liberties with your star players if they know that they won't pay the price for it? (i.e. 2011 Bruins, 2015 Michael Ferland, 2020 Ryan Reaves).  My line of thinking is that you could have someone like Johnston as your 13th forward and then dress him if things are getting out of line.  Bruins in 2011 had Shawn Thornton as their 13th forward and then dressed him from Game 3 onwards. In 1994, although we had guys like Sergio Momesso and Tim Hunter, we had Odjick waiting in the wings.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

All good points and when creating this post, I had completely forgotten about the fact that we have Zadorov now.  

While you are correct that the age of the enforcer is long gone, I still think you need that one guy that can beat up all/most players in the league if it came down to it.  

Is fighting being phased out of the game?  Absolutely.  Will opposing players still take liberties with your star players if they know that they won't pay the price for it? (i.e. 2011 Bruins, 2015 Michael Ferland, 2020 Ryan Reaves).  My line of thinking is that you could have someone like Johnston as your 13th forward and then dress him if things are getting out of line.  Bruins in 2011 had Shawn Thornton as their 13th forward and then dressed him from Game 3 onwards. In 1994, although we had guys like Sergio Momesso and Tim Hunter, we had Odjick waiting in the wings.  

I think rather than having a selected goon, it's better to just have size throughout the lineup and guys who are willing to muck it up. Having a useless guy like Reeves in your lineup is stupid, but having big guys like JT Miller, Zadorov, Cole and Mikheyev who will throw their bodies around and stick up for team-mates is much more useful.

That's why I wouldn't go targeting a goon, but Allvin has done a good job scattering size and grit throughout the lineup, especially on defence.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I’d love to have Crouse but I doubt Kuzmenko and a pick gets errr done.  Arizona is also in playoff contention right now and so won’t be looking to sell (although I suspect that they will drop in the standings in this coming half).  

That was why I thought of Arizona. I think they might be on the outside looking in sooner rather than later. Yeah, it would probably cost more to get those guys.

On 2011 we had the most fights of any team in the playoffs. Boston didn't beat us by having an enforcer that scared us, and we wouldn't have beat them just because we had the biggest, toughest enforcer of all time. We lost because we had injuries to key players (Samuelsson was out since the first round, one of the Sedins and Kesler playing injured since the West final, and then Hamhuis and Raymond being injured in the finals), the refs put the whistles away on even blatant calls, and we mentally did a 180 after winning the first few games. We just needed one more win to cap one of the most successful seasons ever in the NHL since we were statistical darlings in the regular season and overcame adversity in the playoffs.

We don't need an enforcer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kevlar said:

I had mentioned Crouse in another thread as an ideal pick up for the top six.

The playoffs don’t need an enforcer who is on the bench or press box most of the time.  Just bigger, heavier teams that wear down opponents rather than getting worn down seems to be the playoff recipe.

I think Kuzmenko is going to bounce back after a sophomore slump, but I also don’t know if he is built for the playoffs.  He is a skilled opportunist, teams tighten up and those opportunities are more rare in the post season.

If we could do a swap of Kuzmenko for Crouse (plus some reasonable adds from our side), I think our roster is definitely improved.

That still leaves room to add a top six rental for a 2nd or 3rd round pick on the left wing.  If the speculation/rumour about Guentzel was true and Pittsburgh falls out of the playoff hunt, him at 50% retained would be a nice short term add.

Guentzel-Petterson-Crouse

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Lafferty-Suter-Hoglander

Aman

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

I take that roster into the playoffs happily even if it costs us some futures. You need to lean into success, and that is what the team is having right now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I had mentioned Crouse in another thread as an ideal pick up for the top six.

The playoffs don’t need an enforcer who is on the bench or press box most of the time.  Just bigger, heavier teams that wear down opponents rather than getting worn down seems to be the playoff recipe.

I think Kuzmenko is going to bounce back after a sophomore slump, but I also don’t know if he is built for the playoffs.  He is a skilled opportunist, teams tighten up and those opportunities are more rare in the post season.

If we could do a swap of Kuzmenko for Crouse (plus some reasonable adds from our side), I think our roster is definitely improved.

That still leaves room to add a top six rental for a 2nd or 3rd round pick on the left wing.  If the speculation/rumour about Guentzel was true and Pittsburgh falls out of the playoff hunt, him at 50% retained would be a nice short term add.

Guentzel-Petterson-Crouse

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Lafferty-Suter-Hoglander

Aman

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

I take that roster into the playoffs happily even if it costs us some futures. You need to lean into success, and that is what the team is having right now.

We might be able to get one of Guentzel or Crouse depending on how their respective teams' seasons go, but certainly not both. 

I want to clarify that I hope Kuzzy finds his game (and fore/backchecking) and stays with the club. But if he will not be played by Coach T then I think he should be traded as I think he has value around the league (1 year removed from a 39-goal season).

A guy like Crouse (cost-controlled contract with term, size and age) makes him appealing to me. Prying Durzi to add to our D-depth would be good too. 

I'm just saying... watch out as Arizona drops down the standings. This may ve more of a possibility.

58 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

I want to clarify that I hope Kuzzy finds his game (and fore/backchecking) and stays with the club. But if he will not be played by Coach T then I think he should be traded as I think he has value around the league (1 year removed from a 39-goal season).

A guy like Crouse (cost-controlled contract with term, size and age) makes him appealing to me. Prying Durzi to add to our D-depth would be good too. 

I'm just saying... watch out as Arizona drops down the standings. This may ve more of a possibility.

Even if Arizona drops thus year i doubt they have any appetite to move Crouse. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, CaptainQuin said:

It's referring to NHLtraderumours as a source.  It's essentially just a fan site. There's no inside information. There.  They may as well quite trade proposals suggested here. It's that crappy 

Anyone who thinks this current forward roster lineup is big and or physical enough to succeed in the playoffs is either delusional or just plain dumb.

Build the forward group like the defense. Great job by management there IMHO.

You need to dictate the terms of the game by whatever means necessary. 

Currently this team is lacking the ability to physically dominate when they cannot outskill or out work their opponents. 

Just MHO.

Cheers

• Cheers 1