[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

11 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Isn't Guentzel fairly injury prone? If we're trying to capitalize on our window, he doesn't seem like the type of player to take a chance on and spend a 1st round pick + on as well. He does make the top 6 look incredibly deep and strong. 

fairly injury prone? other than the covid shortened season.. he hardly missed any games in his career.

Edited by wai_lai416

15 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Dhali can probably mention any name in the NHL linked to the Canucks and suddenly everyone believes a trade is happening. To his credit, though, Dhali is usually right about things.

Guentzel would be great to have on the Canucks, but at what cost? Is he the missing link? I'm not sure. 

I'd offer Kuzmenko, McDonough and a 2nd (2025).  PIT would likely decline, and that would be fine.

That would be a good trade. I wouldn't include hogs.

• Haha 1

IMO a defenseman like Hughes/Hronek would be real nice to have in case of injury to the top pair, to carry/elevate the 2nd pairing, and to help mentor one of our up and coming defense prospects. 

We aren’t having trouble scoring goals and have a gluttonous amount of forwards on the cusp. 

As awesome as this sounds. This would to detrimental to our future. Would be the most expensive rental on the market.

I would prefer to not go down this route this year 

Hmm...I really hesitate on the idea of a rental. Though in some sense it does really feel like this is a big chance year, given all our expiring contracts, it also feels unlikely that we make a huge run so long outside of the playoffs. Even the 2020 playoffs were already four years ago and we haven't sniffed the playoff since. I'd be surprised if we made it past the second round, even with the buying of rentals.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Guentzel would complete the top 6 and put us over the top.  If you add another 40-goal scorer at the deadline to this team it would become the Stanley Cup favourites.

Add a bottom 6 forward to the group who can play tough playoff hockey like a Yakov Trenin or Sammy Blais and we are pretty much done.

The question becomes what is the cost to acquire Guentzel if he becomes available?  I'm guessing it would be our 2025 1st plus Hoglander at minimum...

Yeah, our 1st definitely would be gone. But if we make the playoffs and make a run, that 1st is going to be a mid to late first, no? That's probably worth it. But then you have also give up Höglander, but he doesn't seem to be breaking out just yet. He could probably eventually turn into a 20 goal scorer. For me, the question is whether or not this is the season for management to go all in. If we acquire Guentzel, do we become Cup contenders, let alone Cup favourites?

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

I dunno feel like this isn't the year to go all in and pick up a rental.

I think we'd need a contract extension if we acquire him. Would be a bad trade if we give up our 1st and Höglander only for Guentzel to walk in free agency. 

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'm very much against paying a high price for a rental, and given his production, I don't think he'd be affordable to re-sign.

not as a UFA, and how would we get a defenseman in the off-season as well. Can we afford players like Guentzel and Pesce (if we're needing another top four?). A part of me says we likely don't have cap room, as we struggle as is. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I think we'd need a contract extension if we acquire him. Would be a bad trade if we give up our 1st and Höglander only for Guentzel to walk in free agency. 

Agreed, also wouldn't wanna give up Hogz to begin with.

Am I the only one who thinks adding Guentzel would be a mistake? I don't even mean so much the cost which would be far too much.  We are building a playoff team not an all star team. 

This just compounds the Kuzmenko, Brock issue. We cant have 3 guys all vyng for 1 spot. 

We need a pwf not JG.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That would be a good trade. I wouldn't include hogs.

Yeah, I wouldn't include Höglander in the deal either. If they take that proposed trade of Kuzmenko (27 years old), a 2nd and McDonough, then I'd pull the trigger. But what is Pittsburgh getting in that deal? A player that scored almost 40 goals, a 2nd (do we even have that this year?), and a prospect that probably doesn't make it to the NHL. That deal doesn't help them at all. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Assuming that would be true:

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko

Guentzel-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

PDG-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Myers

Cole-Soucy

Demko

DeSmith

Have to think Kuzmenko+ would be going the other way.

This could make a lot of sense for PIT... Kuz is locked in for the same time frame as Crosby. They get a replacement scoring winger (plus), without having to lock in to long term cap risk...

The Canucks in return get a clear top 6 upgrade.

This could have legit legs.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

Am I the only one who thinks adding Guentzel would be a mistake? I don't even mean so much the cost which would be far too much.  We are building a playoff team not an all star team. 

This just compounds the Kuzmenko, Brock issue. We cant have 3 guys all vyng for 1 spot. 

We need a pwf not JG.

Guentzel is also a proven playoff performer isn't he? 

Kuzmenko and Brock, while good players, aren't playoff producers yet, and we don't know if they can produce in the postseason, while Guentzel has proven that he can. What's that worth

Just now, aGENT said:

This could make a lot of sense for PIT... Kuz is locked in for the same time frame as Crosby. They get a replacement scoring winger (plus), without having to pick in to long term cap risk...

Kuzmenko while I'd be sad to see go, I can see a scenario where Rutherford and Allvin give him up to get Guentzel. But I don't like the fact that he'd walk in a couple of months, and we'd be left without a 1st (I'm assuming that's probably part of the package for Guentzel). If we're going to part with our 2024 1st, then it better (at least for me) be for a player that is here with term. 

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

We need a pwf not JG.

Guentzel is a pretty sizeable upgrade on Kuzmenko, who despite his size, knows how to play the "right way". He's also faster and plays LW, not RW like Brock.

Kuzmenko would also almost certainly be going the other way. So no, not 3 guys vying for the same spot.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Kuzmenko while I'd be sad to see go, I can see a scenario where Rutherford and Allvin give him up to get Guentzel. But I don't like the fact that he'd walk in a couple of months, and we'd be left without a 1st (I'm assuming that's probably part of the package for Guentzel). If we're going to part with our 2024 1st, then it better (at least for me) be for a player that is here with term. 

I'd imagine we'd be extending him.

6 hours ago, Coryberg said:

I would call this speculation instead of a rumour. The Penguins are 2 points out of a playoff spot right now. It could be a possibility in a month or so if the penguins start to tank but definitely no time soon.

Not only that, but the cost would be hefty even if he were available 

Hard to imagine him being moved and a top prospect+ not going the other way

He's also due for a sizeable raise

It's also hard to see the Pens packing it in while Crosby et all. are still present, they'll be wanting competitive pieces 

Edited by Coconuts

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This could make a lot of sense for PIT... Kuz is locked in for the same time frame as Crosby. They get a replacement scoring winger (plus), without having to lock in to long term cap risk...

As much as I would dislike giving up on Kuzmenko your probably right. I could see management doing something like this.

Not sure Jake is really what we need. 6 mill per and headed way up so that we'd also have to deal with. Doesn't seem like a logical thing to do, not even as a rental

for the playoffs. Everyone can see his stats. 

The one thing I've been pleased with in our new regime is they've been responsible. We are pretty much at our Cap limit now. Personally I'd like to see what our current 

group can do in the playoffs... 

Guentzel for Kuz and a 1st and a B prospect could make sense for both sides.  

I would be loath to give up Hoglander as well need the cheap contracts in the upcoming years. 

Dubie gets some value for Guentzel, keeps a high skill winger for his old core but avoids signing Guentzel well past Crosby / Malkin / Letang’s contracts. 

We obviously get a high skill prime winger with cup and playoff experience. JR/Allvin would vouch for him and everything they’ve touched has turned to gold so far. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Vintage 1