[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

Considering Kuzmenko is likely being benched again tonight, looks like his days are numbered in VAN.

Too bad, great character guy, always smiling and happy, but this is about a deep playoff run. Kuzy's deficiencies with checking and battle will hinder their chances, so... 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

#VancouverPenguins #RussSwedUSACanucks

In all seriousness, Guentzel would be a fantastic addition.  

I'd be wary of overpaying for anyone that has made a career playing on a line with Crosby

• Cheers 4

I agree with Provost that I’d rather see a physical winger join the top 6 to add some grit and protection.

I hated seeing Brady work over Petey on multiple shifts with absolutely zero response from anyone on the team. I know we were winning 5-2 or whatever, so you don’t wanna give up a power play. Though this team has gotten harden to play against, seeing our stars roughed up irks me. 

I do like Guentzel and he’s a great scorer, I just don’t think we need to throw a bunch of assets at a player who will be expensive to resign.

Especially when we have a guy like Lekkerimaki in the system. I know the WJC doesn’t translate directly to the NHL, but he’s been phenomenal (another two goals today and POG). Anyone have a prediction on when he’ll crack the lineup?

I’m eager to see this team win the cup, and our window is not open forever, but I don’t want to stifle our future growth for a few extra wins this year. 

With some of the cap challenges coming up with the OEL buyout, Hronek, Petey, Boeser, putting a bunch of cash into Guentzel is not what I think is best for the team long-term.

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Considering Kuzmenko is likely being benched again tonight, looks like his days are numbered in VAN.

Too bad, great character guy, always smiling and happy, but this is about a deep playoff run. Kuzy's deficiencies with checking and battle will hinder their chances, so... 

And that is it in a nutshell; utilize the $$ on a guy that Tocchet will actually play in all his lines minutes. If that means trading him for a rental (potential overpay maybe) that fits that role, I'm all over that. Him in the press box right now means we are over playing someon in the top6 beyond their talent level (PDG, Lafferty, etc).

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not until the Coyotes fall out of the playoff picture at least…

If, that happens (no guarantee), they still likely hang on to him because, as you noted, he is "...is a power forward who is solid defensively.  He is in the right age range and signed to a team friendly contract with term."

4 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I agree with Provost that I’d rather see a physical winger join the top 6 to add some grit and protection.

I hated seeing Brady work over Petey on multiple shifts with absolutely zero response from anyone on the team. I know we were winning 5-2 or whatever, so you don’t wanna give up a power play. Though this team has gotten harden to play against, seeing our stars roughed up irks me. 

I do like Guentzel and he’s a great scorer, I just don’t think we need to throw a bunch of assets at a player who will be expensive to resign.

Especially when we have a guy like Lekkerimaki in the system. I know the WJC doesn’t translate directly to the NHL, but he’s been phenomenal (another two goals today and POG). Anyone have a prediction on when he’ll crack the lineup?

I’m eager to see this team win the cup, and our window is not open forever, but I don’t want to stifle our future growth for a few extra wins this year. 

With some of the cap challenges coming up with the OEL buyout, Hronek, Petey, Boeser, putting a bunch of cash into Guentzel is not what I think is best for the team long-term.

And in a Kuz + not much for Guentzel scenario, I'm not really sure you are worried about resigning him. He is simply a rental to get offense, then a cap relief in 2024 to either sign someone else OR provide a spot for guys coming up as you have mentioned.

Oilers fans are talkin about Guentzel too as a possible deadline pickup.  Funny enough they are also talking about possibly getting Kuzmenko.  

With this in mind I wonder how heavily GM weighs going after a player knowing a potential playoff opponent might covet the same player.

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

And in a Kuz + not much for Guentzel scenario, I'm not really sure you are worried about resigning him. He is simply a rental to get offense, then a cap relief in 2024 to either sign someone else OR provide a spot for guys coming up as you have mentioned.

in a hockey trade, sure.  For top prospects or high picks, no thanks.  This isn't the year to start selling the future for rentals, imo

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

He'd be on a line with either Petey or Miller, so he'd do very well here.

That's still significantly less than playing with one of the GOATs.  That's a scenario that hasn't played out well for many teams

9 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

AHL next year, likely with some injury call ups. On the team the year after that but not likely relied on as being a full time, top 6 player (he'll likely see some bench/press box/demotions). We're likely 2+ years after this season from relying on him as a full time, top 6 IMO. If things go well.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's still significantly less than playing with one of the GOATs.  That's a scenario that hasn't played out well for many teams

Gotta disagree. Granted, Crosby is still very good in his old age, but Petey and Miller drive their lines and still put up 100pts while playing with guys like Brock, Mik, Hogs, PDG, etc. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

AHL next year, likely with some injury call ups. On the team the year after that but not likely relied on as being a full time, top 6 player (he'll likely see some bench/press box/demotions). We're likely 2+ years after this season from relying on him as a full time, top 6 IMO. If things go well.

agreed, that's how my timeline for him would look as well.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm a big Crosby fan...but current, more defensive Miller is probably not far off current Crosby. And Pettersson is good enough to be better than current Miller over the next 6-8 years.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Slightly yes... Somewhat depending on the "+", and if they can make use of the added cap space swapping G & K gives them.

But if they can't/won't extend Guentzel, it does give them a better chance next year, and more cap space and pieces to play with.

A lot likely depends heavily on how they feel their chances/willingness of extending him before the TDL are. They can't allow him to just walk this summer. And they're unlikely to get a much better, under contract replacement than Kuzy as the return from any other playoff teams.

It's all contingent upon an extension, I agree that they're probably not looking to let Guentzel walk for nothing. Although there's a good chance it gets done, Carter's expiring 3.1M would probably be more than enough to cover it imo. And it wouldn't cost much to replace what an aging Carter has brought when considering having to pay for a replacement player. He's definitely not the player he was two years ago, but he's 39 so that's not surprising. 

You could be right about what's available out there too, although I don't personally value Kuzmenko as much as I did even going back a month or two. He was always due for some regression though, the same way Boeser likely is. 

Would have to ponder the + though, seems more likely the Pens would want actual prospects or young NHL'ers/potential NHL'ers like Hoglander or Podz as well. Picks would take longer to make an impact, although they could be used as currency. I don't see the Pens worrying about restocking the cupboards so much though, they'll kick the rebuild bit down the road as long as Crosby et al. are around and contributing at a high level. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm a big Crosby fan...but current, more defensive Miller is probably not far off current Crosby. And Pettersson is good enough to be better than current Miller over the next 6-8 years.

no way I'm paying a higj [rice for a guy whp rde shotgun to crosby his entire career.  That's way too high risk for me, unless it's a kuz for JG kinkd of deal.  I wouldn't be giving up any significant prospect or high pick for him

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

I don't see it happening for the Canucks. Not sure it's the right player to give up those types of assets either. 

agreed, nor is it the right time, imo

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

no way I'm paying a higj [rice for a guy whp rde shotgun to crosby his entire career.  That's way too high risk for me, unless it's a kuz for JG kinkd of deal.  I wouldn't be giving up any significant prospect or high pick for him

It certainly does depend on who the prospect it, and it would have to come with a new contract, imo, but we have lots of assets not named Willander or Lekkermaki that we could offer up with Kuz. Guentzel is a legit top-line winger that would fit in perfectly with Petey or Miller. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

It certainly does depend on who the prospect it, and it would have to come with a new contract, imo, but we have lots of assets not named Willander or Lekkermaki that we could offer up with Kuz. Guentzel is a legit top-line winger that would fit in perfectly with Petey or Miller. 

what kind of deal do you think would work for both Pit and Van?

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's all contingent upon an extension, I agree that they're probably not looking to let Guentzel walk for nothing. Although there's a good chance it gets done, Carter's expiring 3.1M would probably be more than enough to cover it imo. And it wouldn't cost much to replace what an aging Carter has brought when considering having to pay for a replacement player. He's definitely not the player he was two years ago, but he's 39 so that's not surprising. 

You could be right about what's available out there too, although I don't personally value Kuzmenko as much as I did even going back a month or two. He was always due for some regression though, the same way Boeser likely is. 

Would have to ponder the + though, seems more likely the Pens would want actual prospects or young NHL'ers/potential NHL'ers like Hoglander or Podz as well. Picks would take longer to make an impact, although they could be used as currency. I don't see the Pens worrying about restocking the cupboards so much though, they'll kick the rebuild bit down the road as long as Crosby et al. are around and contributing at a high level. 

It's not about whether they can afford to extend him next year IMO. That's not the problem. Crosby's under contract 1 more year after this one and will be 37 this August.  Malkin 2 more years and turning 39 the summer his deal expires. Do the Pens really want to commit $$$ for likely 8 years on Guentzel starting next year?

Then there's Guentzel.... playing with Crosby has likely been AMAZING. But NHL careers are short. Does staying in PIT give him the best chance to win? He'll make money anywhere...but winning...

I wouldn't assume either side is gung ho about a long term extension in PIT personally.

27 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

This is a great point. No one on Petey's line has any real pushback. There's no real deterrent.

He needs that guy who'll make people wonder if it's worth dying for, yet have enough skill to produce. 

Tkachuk didn't do much when he was out against Zadorov. 

Put him on Petey's wing! (kidding!) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

what kind of deal do you think would work for both Pit and Van?

Kuz, Zadorov (now that Soucy's back), and a 3rd or B prospect

Kuz and Hogs

Kuz and next year's 1st (will be a late one), and Karlsson/Bains/McDonough/etc

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't either. Like with Zadorov, I think people are overestimating how much the return will be for PIT for what is basically a rental (until he's extended anyway). And I don't think PIT is ready to sell pieces for picks yet anyway.

Getting an under contract replacement winger that saves them $500k cap this year and likely +/-$3m next and perhaps a young, near NHL ready depth player back, +/- some smaller/depth pieces. Hell yes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1