[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

Just now, Bob Long said:

I wonder if Dubas is playing hardball with him right now incase Nylander becomes a UFA? maybe if Willie inks and extension with the Leaves then they'll come back to JG. 

I don't know if WN would be interested in Pit or not.  I don't see them being a playoff team going forwrd and they don't have much of a future either. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't know if WN would be interested in Pit or not.  I don't see them being a playoff team going forwrd and they don't have much of a future either. 

Anythings possible with Crosby in the playoffs. Depends on the rest of Dubie's plan. 

Just now, smithers joe said:

if kuz is moved and the replacement isn't resigned, we'ld save 5.5 mil next year. they could probably be able to resign our FA next year.

"could", you still have to compete with other teams to get the player you want and Canadian teams are at a disadvantage there.  If you can't get the guy you want, you're suddenly down two scoring wingers and no one in the system quite ready to take up that spot.  Suddenly, you're window to win doesn't seem so open.  I just don't think they're at that point yet.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea, I understand that as well. But Höglander is far younger the Guentzel, and he's also a free agent at the end of the season. If they trade Hogs for Guentzel, only to have him walk at season's end, that would be disastrous. 

Depends on how management value cap space, but I assume an extension would be required for a trade to take place 

Cap space needs to be considered as positive value on his own, freeing up 6M in cap space at the end of the season wouldn't be the end of the world if management could find a player they like to spend it on 

Kuzmenko and Hoglander could be written off as a relatively inexpensive attempt at putting themselves over the top, assuming there isn't much more on top of that package 

Which isn't to say I don't see Hoglander's value

At the end of the day Guentzel has been roughly point per game or better the last five seasons and has had two 40 goal seasons and a 36 goal season in that span of time, you don't pay peanuts for that sort of player 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

youdo, but the same reason that Pit would want Hogz is the same reason Vancouver should keep him.  They need cheap, cost effective scoring wingers.  

Fair point, but gotta give to get at the end of the day 

Depends on how confident Rutherford and co are in this group, losing Hoglander could hurt though if he goes on to thrive in Pittsburgh, no question 

Just now, stawns said:

a 1st is an absolute non starter for me.  

not unless JG came with a spectacular team friendly extension. But Kuzy and Hogs (if that were really on the table) should be more than enough? 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Same, even a 1st in the 20's could get us a top notch prospect 

I don't expect us to make the cup final this season, maybe more a 1st or 2nd round exit imo, the odds of this team waltzing into the playoffs after consistently missing it and waltzing straight to a final are very small 

Most teams have to beat their heads against the playoff wall before even making a conference final, that story rings true for almost all cup winners over the past decade 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not unless JG came with a spectacular team friendly extension. But Kuzy and Hogs (if that were really on the table) should be more than enough? 

it would have to be pretty darn team friendly for me to think it was a god idea.  Next year, when we have a better idea of how Lek is going to transition, maybe.  Right now, they just don't have any scoring wingers intheir system that are going to be able to make up for losing Kuz and hogz if JG doesn't work out or he doesn't re-sign

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I don't expect us to make the cup final this season, maybe more a 1st or 2nd round exit imo, the odds of this team waltzing into the playoffs after consistently missing it and waltzing straight to a final are very small 

Most teams have to beat their heads against the playoff wall before even making a conference final, that story rings true for most cup winners over the past decade 

exactly my approach as well

• Cheers 1

I wonder what Kuzmenko’s value is for one more year at 5.5

I think Guentzel is worth a 1st + mid prospect as a rental but I guess if Kuz has value you can subtract from Guentzel’s price. Maybe Galaxy brain Dubas thinks he can double up and sell Kuz next year too.  But does he have the green light to rebuild around his hall of fame retirement home?

As someone else pointed out, we’d be gaining an upgrade and some cap flexibility next year - as unsavoury the thought of using him as a pure rental is. 

Still think a true #3 D (lefty or righty) is the bigger piece needed but JR always seemed to get it done with Letang and friends on the back end.

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

How close would Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, and a 2024 1st be?

If the Canucks could pry Joel Farabee out of Philadelphia, then I imagine this would be the ask.

I'd be pretty upset if this was the price paid for a 29 year old Guentzel.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Just now, Coconuts said:

I disagree. Everything is in place this year for us to go on a run, and adding a guy like Guentzel would go a long way to make that happen. 

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

He'd be on a line with either Petey or Miller, so he'd do very well here.

36 minutes ago, Pears said:

Lol you don't score 40 goals multiple times by mistake regardless of who you play with. That's just such a lazy take. 

I seem to recall Guentzel doing quite well when Crosby was injured, and he isn't a passenger on whichever line he plays on, he is an offensive weapon regardless of linemates

• Thanks 1

Just now, lionized27 said:

If the Canucks could pry Joel Farabee out of Philadelphia, then I imagine this would be the ask.

I'd be pretty upset if this was the price paid for a 29 year old Guentzel.

now that would be a deal I'd be on board for

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

who knows how high it will be, they could be the first team eliminated from the post season.  That could be a #17 pick

We would have to be the lowest ranked team that was eliminated in the first round. It isn't based on chronological order.

Just now, Coryberg said:

We would have to be the lowest ranked team that was eliminated in the first round. It isn't based on chronological order.

yup. but first time in the playoffs and a team that struggles to ply a full 60 mins isn't a recipe for a deep run

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

I disagree. Everything is in place this year for us to go on a run, and adding a guy like Guentzel would go a long way to make that happen. 

That's nice, the odds of the Canucks going on a fairy tale run are still extremely small. Go back and look at the season by season records of the cup winners over the past 10 or 11 years, the only teams that weren't consistent playoff regulars before winning for a good stretch of time prior to winning are Chicago and LA, and Chicago won the season after going straight to a conference final with rookies in Kane and Toews. The other team with a short runway was LA, they lost in the first round twice before going on to win with what was a defensive powerhouse of a team. 

Most teams have to pay their dues before going deep, that's how it's been most of the past decade, if not longer. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, stawns said:

yup. but first time in the playoffs and a team that struggles to ply a full 60 mins isn't a recipe for a deep run

Of course it's a possibility that we crap the bed in the first round but the possibility of picking 17th? We would have to finish no better than 8th in the league and then have the top 7 teams in the league all eliminated in the first round.

The odds of that happening are astronomical.

12 minutes ago, Pears said:

How close would Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, and a 2024 1st be?

I think it’s either Brzustewicz or the 1st - older rental wingers likely aren’t returning that much as good as Guentzel is.   I don’t think Kuz has negative value, either - despite the slow start he’s on pace for ~50 points and 20+ goals.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

That's nice, the odds of the Canucks going on a fairy tale run are still extremely small. Go back and look at the season by season records of the cup winners over the past 10 or 11 years, the only team that wasn't a playoff regular before winning for a good stretch of time prior to winning was Chicago, and they won the season after going straight to a conference final with rookies in Kane and Toews. The other team with a short runway was LA, they lost in the first round twice before going on to win with what was a defensive powerhouse of a team. 

Most teams have to pay their dues before going deep, that's how it's been most of the past decade, if not longer. 

Just like how the Canucks weren't supposed to be anywhere close to as good as they are this year, right?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's nice, the odds of the Canucks going on a fairy tale run are still extremely small. Go back and look at the season by season records of the cup winners over the past 10 or 11 years, the only teams that weren't consistent playoff regulars before winning for a good stretch of time prior to winning are Chicago and LA, and Chicago won the season after going straight to a conference final with rookies in Kane and Toews. The other team with a short runway was LA, they lost in the first round twice before going on to win with what was a defensive powerhouse of a team. 

Guentzel could very well be a part of a multi year window, though.   You’d think if they’re paying, the idea would be to sign him.