[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

Absolutely no way we spend another first. If we're making a play for a winger it'll be a middle 6 guy, not another top liner.

Guentz would cost a 1st + Mik for cap + top prospect like Podkolzin or Raty (but you know they'd ask for Lekker) which is way too much for someone we can't keep.

I'd target Rust, Rakell or Smith but wouldn't give up a first to get it done.

Personally I'd rather we spend a 2nd and prospect/Mik on a defenceman over a winger, this team would do better if it focusses on strong defensive depth first and opportunistic/PP scoring under Tocchet's model. Defence wins championships and we can see the fatigue in Hughes and Hronek's game so lets get them someone to take some of their minutes. I do like Tanev or any similar defenceman. 

If (and I doubt it) we're willing to part with a top prospect + 1st, I'd rather we spend it on Hanifin or Chychrun or Marcus Pettersson than a winger. MP would be ideal - cheap cap hit, we let 9M of Cole and Myers walk in the off-season and use that money to keep all of our depth guys + Petey and Hronek. Maybe Lindholm signs a one year show-me 6m deal?

The longer we stay at the top of the standings the more I'm jonesin' for a lil Guentzel in the lineup. 

Would be pretty sad if they traded Lekky, Willy, or DPetey but man... our lineup would look prettyyyy prettttyyyy good 

Larry David No GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

2 hours ago, Zodiak said:

Better not give up Hoglander or lekki and willander. Lindholm and guentzel are already declining and giving up assets and big contracts is Ericsson and oel all over again 

I would do next years 1st, Hoglander, and Raty for 50% retained max.

We keep all of our top prospects.

Would suck to lose Hoglander but that’s likely the price it would take. And of course Guentzel would have to be signed to a 5 year contract.

So let’s just say its probably unlikely.

Edited by DeNiro

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

Think Canucks need a pure goal scorer to jumpstart EP line.

God we need Toffoli back and it probably would cost less than Guenztle if available. 

One of the bigger mistake by JB not re-signing him. 

• Like 2

Dhaliwal claims Canucks are in on Guentzel. Return is looking to be huge. 

Rumored 1st/2nd/Prospect+. 

Oh boy. 

If this is true - this screams Pettersson trade in the offseason and recoup the assets spent on going for it this year. 

Edited by Dom
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Dom said:

Oh boy. 

If this is true - this screams Pettersson trade in the offseason and recoup the assets spent on going for it this year. 

yes it screams PA and JR are going for it and will likely move Petey for younger assets (hello Macklin) at draft. TBH I think its bold but smart 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dom said:

Oh boy. 

They're probably looking for a prospect of Podkolzin's caliber. We've definitely hit the point where I am worried about how any trades will affect team chemistry. We've already made some big acquisitions and might be better off just giving everyone time to continue to gel.

Also, while winning a cup would mean I'd be happy with the Canucks sucking for a decade, if we don't have a 1st, 2nd, and likely 3rd round pick two years in a row that's going to be a hard pill to swallow when this is really just our first year being competitive in over a decade.

• Like 1

Would be nice to get a scorer but to me we need another hard nosed players for playoffs and maybe a D like  Edmondson.

Get Edmondson and one of Maroon , J Anderson.

For Anderson yes he has years left but that's ok as we have so many ufa's.

Just need to fill the holes and have two D that can step in any time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dom said:

Oh boy. 

To much to give up (IMO)...

We could be in a bidding war with Vegas and or another team. Let them have him. 

Would like to see smaller trades (mid- bottom 6 players or 7,8th D) to provide depth and a little more size.

We can't deplete ALL of our depth pool and 1st-3rd picks on an all or nothing playoff run...

We won't have any 1st or 2nds picks till 2026 at this rate....if you thought the prospect pool was shallow before, this could decimate it.

• Like 2

I hope we don't go for a big trade like this. I'd rather they looked for another big body to add for a mid/late round pick and save our future 1st/2nd plus our top prospects to plan for the future. 

Guentzel is great I'm sure, but he's not young and even resigning him really puts this team on a hard timeline to compete right now for a few years then we'll have no choice but to rebuild when he and Miller are around 34.  

I'd rather compete now sure, but also build this group out so we can be competitive for another 6-8 years as opposed to 2-3. Building around Petey and Hughes with the young talent coming up seems far more interesting and sustainable to me. 

On 2/27/2024 at 1:35 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Absolutely no way we spend another first. If we're making a play for a winger it'll be a middle 6 guy, not another top liner.

Guentz would cost a 1st + Mik for cap + top prospect like Podkolzin or Raty (but you know they'd ask for Lekker) which is way too much for someone we can't keep.

I'd target Rust, Rakell or Smith but wouldn't give up a first to get it done.

Personally I'd rather we spend a 2nd and prospect/Mik on a defenceman over a winger, this team would do better if it focusses on strong defensive depth first and opportunistic/PP scoring under Tocchet's model. Defence wins championships and we can see the fatigue in Hughes and Hronek's game so lets get them someone to take some of their minutes. I do like Tanev or any similar defenceman. 

If (and I doubt it) we're willing to part with a top prospect + 1st, I'd rather we spend it on Hanifin or Chychrun or Marcus Pettersson than a winger. MP would be ideal - cheap cap hit, we let 9M of Cole and Myers walk in the off-season and use that money to keep all of our depth guys + Petey and Hronek. Maybe Lindholm signs a one year show-me 6m deal?

Personally, I could deal with a 2025 1st, Raty and Mik for Guentzel if we really are going for it this year. I could not deal with giving up Lek or Willander.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

To much to give up (IMO)...

We could be in a bidding war with Vegas and or another team. Let them have him. 

Would like to see smaller trades (mid- bottom 6 players or 7,8th D) to provide depth and a little more size.

We can't deplete ALL of our depth pool and 1st-3rd picks on an all or nothing playoff run...

We won't have any 1st or 2nds picks till 2026 at this rate....if you thought the prospect pool was shallow before, this could decimate it.

I don't care anymore honestly. If management truly thinks we can go for a Cup this year without giving up Lekkerimaki or Willander I say do it.