[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'll gladly sacrifice having to put a stupid Garland avatar on my profile if it means getting Guentzel...   🤨

Oooo... I can't wait for the day it happens!!  🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Vegas owns almost all their picks over the next three drafts, Pittsburgh may want prospects but Vegas could also be the most likely team to overpay with picks

They also wouldn't have to send cap to Pittsburgh 

Vegas will cross the rebuild bridge when they get to it, they'll likely keep going for it til then

Edited by Coconuts

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Vegas owns almost all their picks over the next three drafts, Pittsburgh may want prospects but Vegas could also be the most likely team to overpay with picks

They also wouldn't have to send cap to Pittsburgh 

Vegas will cross the rebuild bridge when they get to it, they'll likely keep going for it til then

Unfortunately, I think we may have the best prospect to offer, in Podkolzin.  I'm gonna hate to see him go for a rental!

Just now, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Unfortunately, I think we may have the best prospect to offer, in Podkolzin.  I'm gonna hate to see him go for a rental!

You would you still hate it IF we win the cup…? 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

As others have said, I don't think he'd be a rental 

If they do trade with Pittsburgh I could see it being Podkolzin and Pettersson going the other way

You're not gonna land Guentzel with peanuts, middling prospects, or mid 20's fringe/bottom six guys

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Just now, RWJC said:

But can we realistically do that in just our first year back in the playoffs in...how many years?  I'm thinking it might just be too much of a gamble this year, especially to lose a strong prospect like Podz (unless we get a non-rental back, who we can somehow fit under our salary cap). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

But can we realistically do that in just our first year back in the playoffs in...how many years?  I'm thinking it might just be too much of a gamble this year, especially to lose a strong prospect like Podz (unless we get a non-rental back, who we can somehow fit under our salary cap). 

Agreed but you have to go for it.

Look at the last few years of futility, look at where we are in the standings, how we’re structured with cap going forward…

you can’t just sit on your ass and hope next year is better. You have to take a shot when shit lines up the way it has. No ifs ands or buts…it’s go time with the core and where we are in its evolution. 

I don’t want to part with a ton for any potential rental player, but if there’s any year where we cash in on some assets to really make a go of it, this is the one.

BB6 up after next season, Demko thet, and a slew of players playing very well in their prime and at affordable contracts. I don’t understand people who still think there will be a better time to pursue what amounts to be a strong chance already this season. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

Heard the Toffoli and Greenway rumours. Hope that happens. Wouldn't mind Duhaime either, if possible.

As skilled a Guentzel is, I don't trust him to succeed as much in blue and green (without Crosby)  Canucks need to bulk up for the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I'd prefer to give up picks rather than prospects like Podz and Raty after spending a couple years to develop them. Keeping picks means we go right back to the beginning of developing new players. 

21 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I dunno..."IF" is kinda poor asset Mgt in my opinion.  What "IF" we did nothing (held onto our assests) & won the Stanley Cup as constructed?

Just because we trade for Guentzel does't mean we're gonna win the cup, I feel confident saying our team's prospect pool will be much shallower though. 

One hot goaltender can derail an entire teams chances in the playoffs. 

I'm hoping we look for more depth moves, that don't deplete our best prospects. We might not hit on all our top 4(ish) but hitting on 2 of them sets us up to compete for the Cup over the next 3-6 years IMO. Hoping/speculating that Guentzel will resign with us is kinda like buying Lotto ticket. 

22 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

"Our first year back in the playoffs" makes it sound worse than it is. Guentzel has cup experience. Lindholm has a decent amount of playoff experience and is in his late 20s. Miller is in his early 30s. Petey is 25, Boeser is 27. This idea this team needs to lose before it can succeed feels outdated. We aren't that team with a bunch of early to mid 20 year olds in our top 6. Our blueline has a 24 year old Hughes and 26 year old Hronek, which isn't even super young. But Zadorov, Soucy, Cole and Myers are all 28 or older. Couple of those dudes are in their mid 30s.

This team is poised for a run and can win it all. We have like 2 players in key positions under the age of 26. Petey and Huggy. And I think both can handle the playoffs. The man between the pipes is 28 years old and has been a starter for a few years now. There's no reason to believe this team can't go on a cup run if we add Guentzel.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I dunno..."IF" is kinda poor asset Mgt in my opinion.  What "IF" we did nothing (held onto our assests) & won the Stanley Cup as constructed?

Just because we trade for Guentzel does't mean we're gonna win the cup, I feel confident saying our team's prospect pool will be much shallower though. 

One hot goaltender can derail an entire teams chances in the playoffs. 

I'm hoping we look for more depth moves, that don't deplete our best prospects. We might not hit on all our top 4(ish) but hitting on 2 of them sets us up to compete for the Cup over the next 3-6 years IMO. Hoping/speculating that Guentzel will resign with us is kinda like buying Lotto ticket. 

Agreed, as can injuries or a cold streak or a team playing above expectation. There’s all sorts of rationale why a team should hold back or why they should push. We are fortunate in that we’ve been pretty blessed this season. I’m not for a Guentzel trade, but if we do move a few prospects out to pursue our chances this season and next, it would likely mean that the team is strong enough that said prospects wouldn’t have an impact on it in that time frame.

as such, I trust PA/JR’s experience enough to believe they like the chances of at least having a deep run and are constructing a club who can see it through. 

would love to keep prime assets though and I think we will. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

have you analyzed our cap space and resignings over the next 4 seasons?

Yes i did.I only have opinion that some players on this roster shouldn't come back next year

44 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Agreed but you have to go for it.

Look at the last few years of futility, look at where we are in the standings, how we’re structured with cap going forward…

you can’t just sit on your ass and hope next year is better. You have to take a shot when shit lines up the way it has. No ifs ands or buts…it’s go time with the core and where we are in its evolution. 

I don’t want to part with a ton for any potential rental player, but if there’s any year where we cash in on some assets to really make a go of it, this is the one.

BB6 up after next season, Demko thet, and a slew of players playing very well in their prime and at affordable contracts. I don’t understand people who still think there will be a better time to pursue what amounts to be a strong chance already this season. 

You have to go for it....We're already going for it 

You can’t just sit on your ass and hope next year is better.... Desmith, Zadorov, Lindholm is not sitting on your ass. It's being proactive and making additions in season trying to avoid bidding wars at the TDL. I suspect depth players would help though if we're still going to add. 

BB6 up after next season, Demko thet, and a slew of players playing very well in their prime and at affordable contracts...That's always going to the the case IMO Someone is always gonna need a new contract or out preform there old one, which is why we're gonna need those prospects and their ELC.

BTW I agree with your post and it makes alot of sense, just playing devils advocate. The argument you make to do something, is also the agrgument why we should not throw all our chips in.  JMO  

Edited by Blitz-Pix

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Agreed, as can injuries or a cold streak or a team playing above expectation. There’s all sorts of rationale why a team should hold back or why they should push. We are for you are in that we’ve been pretty blessed this season. I’m not for a Guentzel trade, but if we do move a few prospects out to pursue our chances this season and next, it would likely mean that the team is strong enough that said prospects wouldn’t have an impact on it in that time frame.

as such, I trust PA/JR’s experience enough to believe they like the chances of at least having a deep run and are constructing a club who can see it through. 

would love to keep prime assets though and I think we will. 

I think Alvin has the same mentality. They know that a pipeline is necessary for continued growth. The methodology behind their moves is evident. 

• Cheers 1

I'm not sold on Guentzel either.

I'd rather keep guys like Podz and Hogs who will be cheap, efficient players on our team for years to come (including next year).

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

I'd rather keep guys like Podz and Hogs who will be cheap, efficient players on our team for years to come (including next year).

Hogs skill level and finishing is high end no way you trade that for an expiring contract.

2 minutes ago, c00kies said:

if we knew he was willing to extend here for something reasonable, I'd be OK with it, but it was nice to see Podz last night look like a legit NHL player. 

its a tough one. It would also have to include Mik going back, who I can see Dubas wanting. 

Late 1st round picks are nice and everything, but Podz and Mik help during Sid's window. 

• Like 2