[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I like Toffoli over Guentzel, he would be cheaper and the players have history with him.  But what do the flames want what the Canucks have?  Allvin doesn't want to trade Willander or Lekkerimäki but can the Canucks trade say a Myers for a late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder to then use that pick and get Toffoli.  Similar to how the Canucks got Hronek.  They didn't have the assets to get Hronek, they had to trade to get the assets Detroit wanted.  With Petey signed it will give Allvin something to sell trade deadline acquisitions and enough time to work his magic.   I know the Canucks were thin on the right side but with the emergence of Juulsen and Zadorov able to play on the right side, and Friedman the Canucks would be ok and would have enough cap space to shore up any RHD deficiencies. 

You like the guy that you don’t even know what team he plays for over guentzel… alright gotcha 

19 minutes ago, Wing said:

What prospect do Vegas have to offer if Pens doesn't want picks?

And yes how convenient for them to have 7.3M of cap to work with now so they don't have to pay more to retain salary or move a roster player. I know they can't stipulate a cap for playoffs, but players on LTIR shouldn't be allowed to return to playoffs without some sort of consequences...like maybe they can't dress the returning LTIR player and the acquired player using the LTIR in the same playoff game or something. Won't happen but it's annoying the same team keeps doing this. 

They don't have much to offer in the way of prospects at this point

What they do have is almost all of their picks over the next three drafts, they're only missing a 4th this draft and a 7th next season 

If a team is gonna overpay with picks it'll likely be Vegas 

• Like 1

don’t want to see any of the top prospects traded for a rental. 
Vatrano has another year a 3.65

has 29 goals on a crap team 

id like to see Lindy and zad get resigned and I don’t see Jake G resigning here.

toffoli would be my first choice then Vatrano 

after that might aswell go after upgrades on the middle bottom six 

Easiest and cheapest is Just keep podz work him up the lineup. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dom said:

Speculation says it starts with Hoglander - FUCK NO. 

Makes sense, I'm pretty sure I've said it in this thread before, but if the Pens are looking for prospects/young NHL'ers than Hoglander would probably appeal to them 

Maybe moreso than Podz given his production 

I don’t love the idea of trading big futures for big rentals. Not only are we going to have to give up futures for the player, we are also going to give up futures for the cap room too. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

You like the guy that you don’t even know what team he plays for over guentzel… alright gotcha 

Dude are you serious?  It's not like Toffoli never played with the Flames.  It was an easy mistake a lot more excusable than your response.  

Canucks, Golden Knights Among “Legit Suitors” For Jake Guentzel

March 4th, 2024 at 2:06pm CST • By Josh Erickson

The Canucks and Golden Knights are among the teams making serious offers for star Penguins winger Jake Guentzel ahead of the trade deadline, Pierre LeBrun of TSN and The Athletic reports Monday. The two Pacific Division squads are among at least six “legit suitors” for his services.

Pittsburgh was viewed as a team with uncertain status heading into deadline season a few weeks ago, but three straight losses now have them 10 points out of a playoff spot and hurtling toward seller status. As such, the likelihood of them parting ways with Guentzel this week has skyrocketed, with the team reportedly preferring high-end prospects in return rather than first-round draft picks.

If that’s the case, Vancouver has the much stronger arsenal to deal from. The team recalled 2019 top-10 pick Vasily Podkolzin from AHL Abbotsford over the weekend, and he made his season debut yesterday against the Ducks, speculatively as a showcase for a trade. Offers centered around him, such as 2022 first-round pick Jonathan Lekkerimäki or 2023 first-round pick Tom Willander, are likely to draw the attention of Penguins GM Kyle Dubas.

In comparison, Vegas’ potential offer could center around 2020 late first-round pick Brendan Brisson or 2023 selection David Edstrom, the last pick of the first round, who grades out as a potential high-end third-line center.

Importantly, neither team has the long-term flexibility to ink the pending UFA to an extension. The Golden Knights are averaging less than a $1MM cap hit in space for every open roster spot next season, while the Canucks need to allocate a significant chunk of next season’s spending to their defense – only Quinn Hughes and Noah Juulsen are signed through next season or longer. Guentzel’s $6MM cap hit would also pose an insurmountable salary cap hurdle for Vancouver and Vegas, so the team must retain half of his salary in any potential deal.

Both teams could use the top-line help, however. Canucks star center Elias Petterssonis currently flanked by Nils Höglander and Pius Suter, both of whom are better suited for middle-six roles. Vegas, meanwhile, is still looking to shoulder the loss of captain Mark Stone for the rest of the regular season, and potentially the playoffs, due to a lacerated spleen.

While also injured, Guentzel is nearing a return from an upper-body injury that’s kept him out since mid-February and should be ready to return shortly after the deadline. He has 22 goals and 52 points in 50 games this season, set to eclipse the point-per-game mark for the fourth time in the last five years.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/canucks-golden-knights-among-legit-suitors-for-jake-guentzel.html#ref=home

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. Hoglander is everything you want in a young player. 

Vegas doesn’t have a player like Hoglander so you wouldn’t even have to go that high.

Pittsburgh wants two good prospects. Hoglander has graduated from prospect level.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

No other playoff team is offering a roster player like Hoglander. We should be able to match other comparable packages. Only problem is if we also want to extend Lindholm and Hronek we’re going to need cheap talent filling out the roster. I don’t want to trade Podkolzin or Raty as those guys are close to slotting in for cheap.

41 minutes ago, Dom said:

Speculation says it starts with Hoglander - FUCK NO. 

it starts with Höglander? 

Fuck no. Hard pass. 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Vegas doesn’t have a player like Hoglander so you wouldn’t even have to go that high.

Pittsburgh wants two good prospects. Hoglander has graduated from prospect level.

So, Willander and Lekkerimäki? Would you be willing to part with those two for Guentzel? 

Dubas is out of his mind for asking for that. 

I wonder if the asking price will drop, since Guentzel could leave and they wouldn't have anything to show for it this Summer. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

So, Willander and Lekkerimäki? Would you be willing to part with those two for Guentzel? 

I wonder if the asking price will drop, since Guentzel could leave and they wouldn't have anything to show for it this Summer. 

Not so sure what Dubas asked,but our media is full of shit.Podz maybe available but 2 youngsters no way

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Can Vegas offer that?

No so you only need to offer a bit more than them.

Podkolzin and a prospect  like Raty or D-Petey is probably the ask.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Can Vegas offer that?

No so you only need to offer a bit more than them.

Podkolzin and a prospect  like Raty or D-Petey is probably the ask.

PAAAAAAAASSSSS

Assuming the Canucks manage to acquire Guentzel, what happens when he reaches UFA status on July 1? He's on the final year of a contract that pays $6M AAV and will likely have several teams trying to sign him to big dollars. So he might be a rental. I'd be wary about giving up legitimate prospects for a rental. Signing him in Vancouver will mean somebody else with a big ticket will probably have to go? Who would that be? Any thoughts about this are welcome, as I don't see acquiring Guentzel being a good thing from a future cap perspective.

hoglander is too important and management and coaches know it. not gonna happen. 

podkolzin and raty though? I could see it.