[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

Just now, Bob Long said:

its TO horse shit. Clickbait Johnson. 

I think Lindholm has been great defensively and he frees up Petey and Miller to play offensively. 
 We should add to it not make a straight across trade. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I hope you’re right. I’d like to see us add Guentzel, a winger that can hit and will fight if he has to and a reliable #6 D-man. 

And I think we should go all in. F the future. 

We wouldn’t be F’ing the future if the future is now …

Just now, Coconuts said:

Maybe, maybe not, but when comparing their production I would say that Guentzel is probably worth more. 

I reckon we'd be giving up more than just a 3rd on top of Lindholm, I reckon we'd be giving up a solid prospect. That return only gives them Lysell as a player who probably plays sooner than later, they probably aren't getting a top notch prospect for DeBrusk. 

Production is one thing, but Lindholm is one of the best defensive centremen in the league.  He's also a top 6 centre which naturally is more valuable than wingers.  I really don't think Guentzel is worth that much more than Lindholm.

Besides, the ask from Pittsburgh is a 1st, a young roster player, prospects.

Debrusk is only 27, one year removed from 50 points in 64 games including 27 goals.  Playing with Sid, I'm sure he could replicate those numbers.

Lysell is still a top end prospect -- top 50 in the league.

1st is included.

3rd as well.

That's a very hefty package for a marketed rental player.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Northern_Nuck said:

I think Lindholm has been great defensively and he frees up Petey and Miller to play offensively. 

he was also a target of Allvin's for a while now. A few posters are losing their shiz about a bit of a downturn in production, while ignoring what he brings to our C depth. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Zimmyparttwo said:

We wouldn’t be F’ing the future if the future is now …

Thats what I never understand with people who are so hesitant to trade futures.

Like if your best opportunity to win a cup is in the next few years you should be doing everything to try and win in that window.

We’ve literally never had a D man like Hughes, a goalie like Demko, and centers like Miller and Petey at the same time. Why are we gonna wait for some better future when it’s obvious the future is now?

Are we gonna wait till the best players we’ve had in franchise history age out so that we can replace them with prospects that may or may not even be NHLers?

I say go for it!

• Thanks 2

I liked the Lindholm trade and defended it when it happened, but he clearly isn’t a fit style wise and hasn’t develop a chemistry that JR/PA had hope with Pettersson.

if we could get assets back for him then flip some of those assets to Pitts for Guentzel, that would be an upgrade.

Lindholm has been on a decline ever since that one outlier of a season with both tkschuk and gaudreau having career years. I get Loui Eriksson PTSD when people bring up his 2way game to defend his play. 😅

Guentzel (shoot first type of player) on Peter’s wing seems like a match made in heaven, get Petey is own Brock Boeser.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Production is one thing, but Lindholm is one of the best defensive centremen in the league.  He's also a top 6 centre which naturally is more valuable than wingers.  I really don't think Guentzel is worth that much more than Lindholm.

Besides, the ask from Pittsburgh is a 1st, a young roster player, prospects.

Debrusk is only 27, one year removed from 50 points in 64 games including 27 goals.  Playing with Sid, I'm sure he could replicate those numbers.

Lysell is still a top end prospect -- top 50 in the league.

1st is included.

3rd as well.

That's a very hefty package for a marketed rental player.

Maybe, but I'm not sure the Pens would want to pay DeBrusk or give him term, he's prime aged but he doesn't really help them get younger or cut cap 

You're probably closer on the value though, certainly 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Like if your best opportunity to win a cup is in the next few years you should be doing everything to try and win in that window.

We’ve literally never had a D man like Hughes, a goalie like Demko, and centers like Miller and Petey at the same time. Why are we gonna wait for some better future when it’s obvious the future is now?

Are we gonna wait till the best players we’ve had in franchise history age out so that we can replace them with prospects that may or may not even be NHLers?

I say go for it!

Indeed! 
I do like the “futures” game a bit, though. Dreaming about draft picks, how they progress, enjoying the benefits of entry level contracts. It’s a time of hope when you project into future!

But, you are so right, we are positioned NOW (big boy letters) and do this roster a massive disservice by worrying about fallout 2,3,4 years down the road.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I say go for it!

Exactly this. We've been talking about futures long enough the last 7-8 years and we now finally have a team good enough to challenge for the cup over the next couple of years.

Obviously you wanna keep guys like Lekkerimaki/Willander/Podkolzin but everyone else should be up for discussion. I've been saying every fibre of my being has been craving a deep playoff run since our last one. 

Just now, Devron said:

50 pages on Guentzel huh 

Well, the thread was started in early January and for the last several years the mods have been allergic to locking stale threads and allowing new ones to start when new relevant information comes to pass (much to the detriment of the overall forum experience IMO).

16 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Yeah Petey has set it on fire since EL got here ...not

I like Lindholm.  He’s great around the net, responsible and obviously the RH C they desired, but I feared he wasnt going to be a play driver.  Before they made the trade I thought they needed someone who plays a bit reckless and can push the D back on the forecheck.  It would be crazy if they flipped EL for some JG or maybe even PB but big picture might be the way to go.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I say go for it!

because picks? 

41 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That'd be a bit of a stretch imo, he'll be 25 in July and the pedigree ain't there as an undrafted guy, his point totals don't blow anyone away either 

I'll spitball though

To Vancouver

Guentzel

To Boston

Lindholm

To Pittsburgh

Vancouver 2025 1st

Jake DeBrusk (who is later flipped)

Fabian Lysell

D Petey

Boston 2025 3rd

Pittsburgh takes the cap to make it work in Debrusk, instead of Boston paying Vancouver they end up paying Pittsburgh to take DeBrusk and to bring the overall cost down for Van 

Both Guentzel and Lindholm sign extensions, DeBrusk's 4M going out covers the Lindholm extension 

Canucks essential paying 2024 1st, 2025 1st, a 4th, Hunter B, D Petey, and Kuzmenko for an expiring Guentzel. Terrible deal.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AngryGoose said:

I like Lindholm.  He’s great around the net, responsible and obviously the RH C they desired, but I feared he wasnt going to be a play driver.  Before they made the trade I thought they needed someone who plays a bit reckless and can push the D back on the forecheck.  It would be crazy if they flipped EL for some JG or maybe even PB but big picture might be the way to go.

Don't think Lindholm was ever labelled as a play driver/playmaker. My friend who's a huge Flames fan always said he's a better finisher and thrives when he plays with a real playmaker. I think the combination of Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm still makes sense to me when the team is healthy. Plus having a defensively responsible right handed C who can win draws will be huge in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Don't think Lindholm was ever labelled as a play driver/playmaker. My friend who's a huge Flames fan always said he's a better finisher and thrives when he plays with a real playmaker. I think the combination of Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm still makes sense to me when the team is healthy. Plus having a defensively responsible right handed C who can win draws will be huge in the playoffs.

Yeah, if we walk into the playoffs without a top tier RH centre for faceoffs, we're gonna seriously regret it.  There will definitely be moments where one of our LH centres lose the draw on the weak side and the puck will end up in our net.  Late in a game on a defensive faceoff, I'd want Lindholm taking the draw on the strong side.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, if we walk into the playoffs without a top tier RH centre for faceoffs, we're gonna seriously regret it.  There will definitely be moments where one of our LH centres lose the draw on the weak side and the puck will end up in our net.  Late in a game on a defensive faceoff, I'd want Lindholm taking the draw on the strong side.

100% agree. The possession game is amplified even more in the playoffs as are the special teams. Lindholm is our only legitimate right handed C, and is 58% in the dot for us. I think a lot of people are downplaying the importance of Lindholm right now just cause he's not playing great offensively.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ngoway said:

100% agree. The possession game is amplified even more in the playoffs as are the special teams. Lindholm is our only legitimate right handed C, and is 58% in the dot for us. I think a lot of people are downplaying the importance of Lindholm right now just cause he's not playing great offensively.

I think both can be true. He can be a good player who hasn't seemed to fit here and could potentially be flipped for an even better player (albeit not C) that might fit better.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think both can be true. He can be a good player who hasn't seemed to fit here and could potentially be flipped for an even better player (albeit not C) that might fit better.

This. Probably it's Boston calling Alvin and asking, they need a C bad. It's Alvin's duty to listen and who knows. If there's a deal, or a series of deals that make the team better, you think about it. 

• Cheers 1

When dakota comes back that 3rd line will be reunited. Lindholm will be back with petey. Give those 2 with Hoglander time. That Guentzel/Lindholm rumor is a lie. Makes no sense trade a right handed center. 

Just now, Rekker said:

This. Probably it's Boston calling Alvin and asking, they need a C bad. It's Alvin's duty to listen and who knows. If there's a deal, or a series of deals that make the team better, you think about it. 

It's literally their job.

People are freaking out about "how it would look" to flip a guy we just acquired but their ENTIRE job is to build the best team, not to worry about optics over making the best moves.

15 minutes ago, ngoway said:

So we gave up all those assets for a 3C who can win some draws in the playoffs?  Seems like a steep price for a niche player.