[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

11 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

When guys call people things like clown and chief online. 

image.gif.6544c0dac30c619f962c52ed6cebc441.gif

I never called him a clown.  Sorry if it came across that way.  

I thought what he said in that specific instance was clownish but I usually try not to insult anyone directly like that.  

9 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Are you alright….. you’re calling a guy a clown for pointing out how Vancouver is deploying a player “that’s your quote” on assumption Lindholm should be first line with petey? 

I never called him a clown.  I've read many of his posts and like and respect what he usually has to say.  

Just in that particular instance, I think what he said was a bit clownish.  Lindholm has been a bonafide Top 6 player for most of his career.  Playing a few games on the 3rd line with Garland doesn't "all of a sudden" make the guy a 3rd line player.   

Apologies for the confusion.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I never called him a clown.  I've read many of his posts and like and respect what he usually has to say.  

Just in that particular instance, I think what he said was a bit clownish.  Lindholm has been a bonafide Top 6 player for most of his career.  Playing a few games on the 3rd line with Garland doesn't "all of a sudden" make the guy a 3rd line player.   

Apologies for the confusion.  

He's not a "3rd line player" for sure.

But if he doesn't mesh with Petey and/or isn't driving his own 2nd line, we do indeed need a 1st line winger more than an overpaid 3C (how we've been playing him). We always needed a top 6 upgrade, if management feels Lindholm isn't filling that hole, I have zero issues with them moving him for someone who does.

We have the Miller-Boeser (+complementary guy) top 6 pair. We need a Petey-"someone" (+complementary guy) top 6 pair.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Heard a tidbit this morning that CAR and PIT are discussing a deal around Guentzel for Necas…? Doesn’t make sense to me but ok 

Necas sure floated around a lot, not sure I’d want him as my return if a teams been actively shopping him for a couple years with still no bites, I remember his name popping up with both Horvat and JT speculation 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's not a "3rd line player" for sure.

But if he doesn't mesh with Petey and/or isn't driving his own 2nd line, we do indeed need a 1st line winger more than an overpaid 3C (how we've been playing him). We always needed a top 6 upgrade, if management feels Lindholm isn't filling that hole, I have zero issues with them moving him for someone who does.

We have the Miller-Boeser (+complementary guy) top 6 pair. We need a Petey-"someone" (+complementary guy) top 6 pair.

What I envisioned (and still envison) for Lindholm, is to have him, Mikheyev, and Suter form a super shut down line that takes on the toughest defensive assignments for us (which would allow a re-united Lotto Line and the Garland/Bluegar line more opportunities for offensive deployment).  Despite their offensive impotence much of the time, all three of Suter, Mikheyev, and Lindholm are among the best defensive players in the NHL.  

In case someone from the Lotto Line were to get hurt during the playoffs, you could put Lindholm on that line.   

Sometimes, it takes a while for a player to acclimate to a new environment.  

Flipping Lindholm and trading even more young assets to get Guentzel just doesn't make sense to me............especially in light of the fact that this Canucks team looks more 2012/2013ish than 2011ish imo.  This team is going to sink faster than Michael Jackson at a Chuck E Cheese if we go up against Colorado, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vegas, or Florida in the playoffs.  

40 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

does Lou Lam really just keep unloading futures to keep is team in the playoff bubble range...

We alll know that Lou was a genius because TO told us when he went there. IMHO Lou is living in the past. It is like you say he is running out of bullets. Team is aging out and no one coming up. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

What I envisioned (and still envison) for Lindholm, is to have him, Mikheyev, and Suter form a super shut down line that takes on the toughest defensive assignments for us (which would allow a re-united Lotto Line and the Garland/Bluegar line more opportunities for offensive deployment).  Despite their offensive impotence much of the time, all three of Suter, Mikheyev, and Lindholm are among the best defensive players in the NHL.  

In case someone from the Lotto Line were to get hurt during the playoffs, you could put Lindholm on that line.   

Sometimes, it takes a while for a player to acclimate to a new environment.  

Flipping Lindholm and trading even more young assets to get Guentzel just doesn't make sense to me............especially in light of the fact that this Canucks team looks more 2012/2013ish than 2011ish imo.  This team is going to sink faster than Michael Jackson at a Chuck E Cheese if we go up against Colorado, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vegas, or Florida in the playoffs.  

I've said as much as well. I mean ideally you'd have him and Petey mesh as I think that's "Plan A" and makes us a better team with two very solid top 6 pairs. But a shutdown 2nd line of Mik/Lind/Suter is a solid "Plan C" if we're not moving Lindholm (though so far, coaching doesn't seem to agree with you or I on that). "Plan B" might very well be moving him for Guentzel (or similar) though, as again, a 1st line W'er is a bigger roster need than an overpaid 3C (if that's all we're going to use him for) or even likely a better option than a not much offense, shutdown 2nd line.

I don't think we'd need to add much in the way of assets to turn Lindholm in to Guentzel. BOS in this scenario would be adding most of the futures. We might need to add a Bains/Karlsson/McDonagh and a mid pick. I'm fine with that if it gets us a better team.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Pittsburgh beat writer - frequent guest on sportsnet 650 when we play the Pens.

All this Guentzel talk makes me nervous.  I feel like it's just gonna cost so much... and I really don't like the idea of moving Lindholm to get it done.

HOWEVER, if it means Mikheyev is upgraded to Guentzel, then I'm game.  Seeing Miller and Boeser last night with Mikheyev has me envisioning Guentzel instead with those 2 just terrorizing teams down the stretch and into the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So does sending Podz back to Abby mean he's more or less likely to be included in any deal now?  Strange one to try and figure out.  If it makes it less likely, I'm happy, unless that means they're more likely to have to include Lekkeremaki!  (Which, BTW, I just can't see Allvin doing).

3 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

So does sending Podz back to Abby mean he's more or less likely to be included in any deal now?  Strange one to try and figure out.  If it makes it less likely, I'm happy, unless that means they're more likely to have to include Lekkeremaki!  (Which, BTW, I just can't see Allvin doing).

Speculation regarding assigning him to the AHL...but makes a lot of sense, considering both (Van) teams are in the same state right now.  

Abbotsford is in Ontario, California for a Wednesday night game against the Reign, the AHL affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings. Abby dressed only 11 forwards in their last game — on Sunday, also versus Ontario — so it’s conceivable this is just a move to help the AHL squad out and Podkolzin will be brought back to the NHL before the Canucks’ NHL game in Vegas on Thursday.

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

I hope someone else gets him

As do I. I rather target smaller fish.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

All this Guentzel talk makes me nervous.  I feel like it's just gonna cost so much... and I really don't like the idea of moving Lindholm to get it done.

HOWEVER, if it means Mikheyev is upgraded to Guentzel, then I'm game.  Seeing Miller and Boeser last night with Mikheyev has me envisioning Guentzel instead with those 2 just terrorizing teams down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I'm most afraid of losing Lekkerimaki, Willander, Hoglander, D-Petey or Podkolzin in order to acquire Guentzel (who is also hurt at the moment).

As this juncture of the season, to add another seismic player of this magnitude may not be the best thing. I worry about the chemistry and fitting in another player who is going to expect a big role that he may not find here. Sometimes the best moves are the small ones or ones you don't make at all.

1 minute ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Speculation regarding assigning him to the AHL...but makes a lot of sense, considering both (Van) teams are in the same state right now.  

Abbotsford is in Ontario, California for a Wednesday night game against the Reign, the AHL affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings. Abby dressed only 11 forwards in their last game — on Sunday, also versus Ontario — so it’s conceivable this is just a move to help the AHL squad out and Podkolzin will be brought back to the NHL before the Canucks’ NHL game in Vegas on Thursday.

3 games in 3 nights seems a little overwhelming. 

• Cheers 1

We brought in lindholm to fill the right handed center role which we sorely needed and to be better than kuzmenko which he has been.  Guessing if we obtain guentzel it's with lindhom still in the fold and mik going out.

3 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

How come? I hope management pulls off magic and turns Lindholm into guentzel without much more cost 

I've been quite consistent in my stance, I think he'd cost too much to acquire

I'd rather keep Lindholm and add a lower cost complimentary piece instead

3 minutes ago, Dom said:

3 games in 3 nights seems a little overwhelming. 

Agreed...I did say it was speculation. It does make sense though.

It's not like he was playing 20+ minutes a night. Travel should be fairly minimal. I noticed Van had a day off today as well,

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hope someone else gets him

Why?

After bad years we want to win or not?

We have a core for the next 4-5 years and a handful of prospects which will support them in the next years.

The time for "rebuilding/retooling" is over.

No its time to take the next step !!!

5 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Likely this ^^

But also because of the TDL, AHL standings have to declare their post season roster - which requires having them registered after the TDL. Which could be a possibility that the team has seen enough of Podkolzin but want to get him more games and see more meaningful action especially if the team's intention is to add another top six forward.

But it could also be trying to give another look for scouts on his game. To feasibly bring him back up after tonights Ontario game would be 3 games in 3 nights. 

3 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

We brought in lindholm to fill the right handed center role which we sorely needed and to be better than kuzmenko which he has been.  Guessing if we obtain guentzel it's with lindhom still in the fold and mik going out.

What if we managed something like Guentzel with retention plus someone like Bjugstad...?

• Like 1