[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As do I. I rather target smaller fish.

I'm most afraid of losing Lekkerimaki, Willander, Hoglander, D-Petey or Podkolzin in order to acquire Guentzel (who is also hurt at the moment).

As this juncture of the season, to add another seismic player of this magnitude may not be the best thing. I worry about the chemistry and fitting in another player who is going to expect a big role that he may not find here. Sometimes the best moves are the small ones or ones you don't make at all.

My observation is that the chemistry is mostly nonexistent amongst the majority of the Canucks. I think there are some players who are close with others, but theres a real lack of team feeling. Its so noticeable if people actually stop and look. For example, every time Miller scores, including last night, he is smiling and hugging everyone, except Petey. Every time Petey comes over to congratulate Miller, he gives him a tap and zero eye contact and zero smiles. Miller never celebrates with Petey. If folks dont believe me go ahead and rewatch the OT celebration last night. I've seen the same reaction many times.

I'm not saying this is a major issue, but it is definitely something that exists and is noticeable.

I guess what I'm saying is that bringing someone new like Guentzel or Kessel into the room wont hurt the chemistry. Maybe its about trying to rebuild some chemistry.

2 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Why?

After bad years we want to win or not?

We have a core for the next 4-5 years and a handful of prospects which will support them in the next years.

The time for "rebuilding/retooling" is over.

No its time to take the next step !!!

You can have your opinion, I'll have mine, but equating my not wanting Guentzel to me not wanting the team to win is a tad ridiculous 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

My observation is that the chemistry is mostly nonexistent amongst the majority of the Canucks. I think there are some players who are close with others, but theres a real lack of team feeling. Its so noticeable if people actually stop and look. For example, every time Miller scores, including last night, he is smiling and hugging everyone, except Petey. Every time Petey comes over to congratulate Miller, he gives him a tap and zero eye contact and zero smiles. Miller never celebrates with Petey. If folks dont believe me go ahead and rewatch the OT celebration last night. I've seen the same reaction many times.

I'm not saying this is a major issue, but it is definitely something that exists and is noticeable.

I guess what I'm saying is that bringing someone new like Guentzel or Kessel into the room wont hurt the chemistry. Maybe its about trying to rebuild some chemistry.

I notice this all the time too. Petey looked almost disappointed that Miller scored the winner. “Some guys need a break from each other” - Tocchet when he split up Miller/Boeser and Petey/Hughes on different pp units. I don’t think it’s a huge deal, but not ideal for a long playoff run.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NucksNation said:

I notice this all the time too. Petey looked almost disappointed that Miller scored the winner. “Some guys need a break from each other” - Tocchet when he split up Miller/Boeser and Petey/Hughes on different pp units. I don’t think it’s a huge deal, but not ideal for a long playoff run.

And Miller has been quoted as saying him and Petey aren't close, and that they had to work hard at their relationship. I think it's ok for everyone on the team not to see eye to eye, however when that happens you definitely need really good buffer players to stay in the middle and maintain relationships with both sides, to keep things tight.

I'm assuming this is the primary reason for bringing Kessel in. To remind the guys of how to play as a team on the ice and in the room.

1 minute ago, German Canuck said:

What do you prefer for the next moves?

I'd rather retain Lindholm and add a lower cost complimentary winger 

Center depth is key come playoff time, he makes us a better defensive team too 

Zucker or Duclair, someone closer to that bracket as opposed to chasing another big fish

We were one of the highest scoring teams in the league prior to the Lindholm trade, I'm not convinced we need Guentzel 

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've been quite consistent in my stance, I think he'd cost too much to acquire

I'd rather keep Lindholm and add a lower cost complimentary piece instead

Petterssons is being held back with lack of skill around him, he’s playing a dump and chase game right now and I personally believe guentzel unlocks Peteys potential by being that perfect complimentary piece, that being said I also see chemistry being built with hogs right now so I do see your concern of the potential of someone like hogs being dealt that would be to high of a price for my liking, I’m more so hoping that the trade goes through we unload mik in the trade and add a bigger body player that can play with jt and BB maybe debrusk 

I look at it like this...

If we're getting Guentzel and not giving up Lindholm, the 1st thing we NEED is to be able to extend 1 of Guentzel or Lindholm.  They both can't be rentals.  That'd be terrible.  Fortunately, if Mikheyev is going the other way, we can afford to keep 1 of the 2.

2nd of all, COST.  What can we afford to give up without sacrificing things too much?  I look at our depth in order of potential...

The future of our forwards:

Hoglander (not gonna include him, he's just too valuable now that he has developed into a bonafide top 6 winger at $1.1M)

Lekkerimaki

Podkolzin

Raty

Bains

Karlsson

Mcdonough

Klimovich

The future of our LHD:

DPetey

Hirose

Kudryavtsev

Mynio

The future of our RHD:

Willander

Mcward

Johansson

Woo

So looking at it like this, I look at the difference gap between the top guy in each position and the next guy.  For example, is DPetey that much better than Hirose or even Kudryavtsev for that matter?  In comparison, there is clearly a huge gap between Willander and Mcward.  So I feel DPetey is more expendable.

Anyways, in my opinion, I'd hate to lose any of our top prospects, but if 1 of them had to go to acquire Guentzel without giving up Lindholm, it'd be DPetey for me.

My offer to PIT would be:

Mikheyev

DPetey

1st

+a sweetener (lower pick or a prospect like Klimovich/Mcdonough/Karlsson)

• Cheers 2

On 2/25/2024 at 1:57 PM, Coconuts said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2852626/report-golden-knights-canucks-among-several-teams-eyeing-guentzel

A deep group of playoff contenders have Pittsburgh Penguins star Jake Guentzel on their radars leading up to the trade deadline.

The Vegas Golden Knights, Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, Carolina Hurricanes, and Florida Panthers are among the teams that have expressed interest in the pending unrestricted free agent, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Guentzel would be arguably the biggest name available for this year's trade season, but the Penguins haven't made it clear if he's on the block.

General manager Kyle Dubas is reportedly listening to trade offers for all non-core players as Pittsburgh fights for a playoff spot. The club is nine points back of both a wild-card and divisional seed with 28 games remaining.

Dubas shut down rumors involving Guentzel in January, saying all trade talk was "pure speculation."

Guentzel was sidelined for up to four weeks on Feb. 15 with an upper-body injury, halting a terrific season in which he's racked up 52 points in 50 games on Pittsburgh's top line.

The 29-year-old is a two-time 40-goal scorer and has 58 points in 58 career playoff contests to go with a Stanley Cup in 2017.

He currently carries a $6-million cap hit and is expected to land a notable raise on his next deal.

The trade deadline is March 8.

At this point, it's all but inevitable. 

50 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I never called him a clown.  Sorry if it came across that way.  

I thought what he said in that specific instance was clownish but I usually try not to insult anyone directly like that.  

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Buddy thinks Lindholm is a 3C because he played one game there.  🤡

gene wilder thinking GIF

• Haha 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I look at it like this...

If we're getting Guentzel and not giving up Lindholm, the 1st thing we NEED is to be able to extend 1 of Guentzel or Lindholm.  They both can't be rentals.  That'd be terrible.  Fortunately, if Mikheyev is going the other way, we can afford to keep 1 of the 2.

2nd of all, COST.  What can we afford to give up without sacrificing things too much?  I look at our depth in order of potential...

The future of our forwards:

Hoglander (not gonna include him, he's just too valuable now that he has developed into a bonafide top 6 winger at $1.1M)

Lekkerimaki

Podkolzin

Raty

Bains

Karlsson

Mcdonough

Klimovich

The future of our LHD:

DPetey

Hirose

Kudryavtsev

Mynio

The future of our RHD:

Willander

Mcward

Johansson

Woo

So looking at it like this, I look at the difference gap between the top guy in each position and the next guy.  For example, is DPetey that much better than Hirose or even Kudryavtsev for that matter?  In comparison, there is clearly a huge gap between Willander and Mcward.  So I feel DPetey is more expendable.

Anyways, in my opinion, I'd hate to lose any of our top prospects, but if 1 of them had to go to acquire Guentzel without giving up Lindholm, it'd be DPetey for me.

My offer to PIT would be:

Mikheyev

DPetey

1st

+a sweetener (lower pick or a prospect like Klimovich/Mcdonough/Karlsson)

That's how it's likely to go down.  Only one will be re-signed.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

gene wilder thinking GIF

Fucking Gene Wilder 🤟...guy could do more with his face than a lot of actors can do with a page of lines.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Petterssons is being held back with lack of skill around him, he’s playing a dump and chase game right now and I personally believe guentzel unlocks Peteys potential by being that perfect complimentary piece, that being said I also see chemistry being built with hogs right now so I do see your concern of the potential of someone like hogs being dealt that would be to high of a price for my liking, I’m more so hoping that the trade goes through we unload mik in the trade and add a bigger body player that can play with jt and BB maybe debrusk 

I understand the Pettersson needs a running mate argument, and I don't disagree, but I've also got a long-held stance of not being interested in mortgaging the future or giving up futures more often than necessary 

If we somehow ship out Mikheyev to bring in Guentzel that's one thing, but I'd be a tad surprised if Pittsburgh wanted him and his cap hit over the next couple seasons 

The other thing is, despite the guff he gets, Mikheyev does contribute to this team 

With or without Guentzel, this team has demonstrated that it can score, as of today the Canucks are tied for 4th in goals for 

On the other hand, despite being tied for 5th in goals allowed, our PK is tied for 18th, I'm not sure shipping out Mikheyev helps the PK and that could be worrisome come playoff time 

If it's Lindholm or Guentzel I'd be happier going into the playoffs with the additional top six center known for his defense, even if he is possibly just a rental 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I really hope we don't lose Lindholm out of this.....

I like Lindy.  But I trust the management to do what's right.  If they are moving Lindy, a big trade piece they just made in order to do this, they have a reason.   Maybe they are unwilling to move the top prospects etc. 

• Like 1

If it's the rumoured three way trade, my guess is Lindholm is gone. Boston looking for a centre is probably the landing spot for Lindholm. We get Guentzal. I'm guessing those be the main components of this rumoured trade. Pens get younger and draft picks I reckon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I really hope we don't lose Lindholm out of this.....

Sounds like it would be necessary for cap and also to get the assets to flip to Pitts.

it allows us to avoid sending a our key guys 

rumour is it’s Boston taking Lindholm which makes a lot of sense

apparently Lindholm rejected an extension with us too

So guentzel trade falls through do we still move Lindholm since he thinks he’s a top 6 centre and should be paid like one, I believe this is why we traded so far ahead of the trade deadline to try figuring out a deal if not flip him 

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Last time we got really “aggressive” that word was used we traded for OEL

Shut your damn filthy mouth!

My PTSD was triggered!

😵‍💫

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

lol cmon reaching… if Petey was really that sour about Millsy scoring winners I don’t think he extends for 8 years with Canucks knowing Millsy will probably leave his wife then marry @-dlc- lol and score a ton more game winning clinching goals over that time. Please peeps simmer, enjoy this team, I do enjoy the enthusiasm and over/reactions but for a moment can we just enjoy this!

love this team and community 

Go Canucks :towel: