[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

2 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

We wouldn't be top heavy this year as we could ship out Kuzy and bring in Jake for almost the same cap hit...and it would be a MASSIVE upgrade in my opinion. If that was all there was to the deal (Kuzy + a 2nd) I'm all over this trade. BUT if we have to add 1st's and prospects...well...no. Because, you are correct in stating we would be top heavy next year. Again, as I stated earlier, the ONLY way we make this work next year adding JG at 8-8.5mil is if management already knows Petey is headed to free agency. Then we have the $$ to sign JG...plus trade Petey's rights after qualifying him for a young 2C (move JT to 1C). It works financially but there's a lot of ifs.

I'd rather take my chances on re-signing Petey. In no world am I comfortable with having Petey gone and leaving a 30+ year old Miller be the main offensive driver of this team for the next several years.

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Do people want the Canucks to become a top-heavy heap of garbage like the Oilers and Leafs or something? Why in the world do we need Guentzel with the offensive personnel we already have.

What they're missing in the top 6 are fore checkers which is why they can do without Kuzmenko (who doesn't do it).  This is why Lafferty and PDG are getting the nod in the top 6 from time to time.

Ya, we still need D but when they play their system well, it doesn't seem as urgent.

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'd rather take my chances on re-signing Petey. In no world am I comfortable with having Petey gone and leaving a 30+ year old Miller be the main offensive driver of this team for the next several years.

100% agree! BUT...if he's going to leave (and management knows this already) then there's nothing wrong with being a bit pro-active to keep the window open. Plus if Petey draws us back a future 1C that can play 2C for a couple of years, well, then we are set for the future as well...the player coming back will be the driver in a few years (think someone like a Matty Beniers type).

19 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

You'd have to add on top of Kuzmenko + be confident that you have enough cap space to resign Guentzel in the summer. 

Don't know where that cap space is coming from when OEL buyout goes up and Petey needs to get paid. Not to mention the need for another legit top-4 D.

Unless you're suggesting he be a rental, which I would be very against.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Pesce might be a stretch at $5m+ but IMO we could extend Guentzel and still maybe get a Tanev/Larsson/Zub/Lyubushkin/Hakanpaa etc for $4m or under via UFA/trade. But it would almost certainly mean also moving Garland and replacing him with a kid/cheap vet.

So basically sign/trade for a ~$4m or less RHD, move Garland and replace with a kid, upgrade Kuzy in to Guentzel.

Still eventually need another bigger body in the top 6 (Podkolzin?) to replace/bump down PDG, but that keeps us improving while we wait for cap to continue going up, guys to develop etc.

10 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

We wouldn't be top heavy this year as we could ship out Kuzy and bring in Jake for almost the same cap hit...and it would be a MASSIVE upgrade in my opinion. If that was all there was to the deal (Kuzy + a 2nd) I'm all over this trade. BUT if we have to add 1st's and prospects...well...no. Because, you are correct in stating we would be top heavy next year. Again, as I stated earlier, the ONLY way we make this work next year adding JG at 8-8.5mil is if management already knows Petey is headed to free agency. Then we have the $$ to sign JG...plus trade Petey's rights after qualifying him for a young 2C (move JT to 1C). It works financially but there's a lot of ifs.

Just need to move Garland. Petey isn't going anywhere.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Just need to move Garland. Petey isn't going anywhere.

Sorry...hadn't heard the announcement yet. What did he sign for and for how many years?

21 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Do people want the Canucks to become a top-heavy heap of garbage like the Oilers and Leafs or something? Why in the world do we need Guentzel with the offensive personnel we already have.

Because Kuzmenko is on his way out and Petey deserves to play with more than just 4th line plugs…

2 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Sorry...hadn't heard the announcement yet. What did he sign for and for how many years?

gif.gif

And your announcement that he's leaving is where exactly Mr kettle?

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

gif.gif

And your announcement that he's leaving is where exactly Mr kettle?

You'll note that I said "IF"...it's not as definitive as "Petey isn't going anywhere"...do you see the difference?

27 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Looking at the deep stats, Brock is actually the more efficient scorer of the 2. JG scores at a rate of 1 goal per 20:16 of ice-time whereas Brock scores the same in only 18:14 of ice-time. Jake is almost always playing 1st line / 1st PP minutes in a game where-as Brock is slightly below that...so...if BB got more ice-time he might just be as prolific a scorer as Jake (.47 GPG for Jake vs .37 GPG for BB averaged over the past 4 seasons).

And JG scored 40 for the second time at age 27...BB is just 26 and will certainly hit 40 this season. As for SC wins (it is a team that wins a SC)...Brock should have his first this year...jus' sayin'...

EDIT: Should have said he achieves his avg GPG in the stated amount of ice-time where-as BB achieves his in less ice-time...not sure if that cleared it up or muddied it more...apologies.

Guentzel has been a consistent and prolific scorer ever since he entered the NHL.  He’s basically a PPG player since he was 22 years old. Brock is a bunch of would have, could have should have.  At the end of the day Boeser has never scored 40 goals.  Also, Guentzel is a prolific playoff performer who is also a PPG in the playoffs for his entire career.  58 points in 58 playoff games.

Guentzel is the exact type of player that we need playing with Petey.  Not our 4th line plugs like Lafferty.  Put Guentzel with Petey and Petey is getting 120 points this year.  Guentzel also plays the “right” way.  He’s a speed demon with non stop engine.  Perfect Tocchet type of player…

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Guentzel has been a consistent and prolific scorer ever since he entered the NHL.  He’s basically a PPG player since he was 22 years old. Brock is a bunch of would have, could have should have.  At the end of the day Boeser has never scored 40 goals.  Also, Guentzel is a prolific playoff performer who is also a PPG in the playoffs for his entire career.  58 points in 58 playoff games.

Guentzel is the exact type of player that we need playing with Petey.  Not our 4th line plugs like Lafferty.  Put Guentzel with Petey and Petey is getting 120 points this year.  Guentzel also plays the “right” way.  He’s a speed demon with non stop engine.  Perfect Tocchet type of player…

Sorry...don't get me wrong, I agree that JG is an upgrade. I was just answering the comment that BB couldn't carry Jake's jockstrap. They are a bit apart offensively but make no mistake, BB is having a monster year and will have his 40 goal year this year, so I'm certain he's capable to carry his jock, maybe his stick, skates and helmet too 🤗

Could you imagine a 1-2 punch with Petey-Guentzel on the 1st line and JT-BB on the 2nd? That would be fun to watch for sure, and would give us the TOP 6 depth that takes you deep.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

You'll note that I said "IF"...it's not as definitive as "Petey isn't going anywhere"...do you see the difference?

I highly, HIGHLY doubt Petey is going anywhere. Better?

Move Kuzmenko, add Guentzel. Move Garland, extend Guentzel. Petey happy.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I highly, HIGHLY doubt Petey is going anywhere. Better?

Move Kuzmenko, add Guentzel. Move Garland, extend Guentzel. Petey happy.

NOW we're talking...two thumbs up aGENT!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Sorry...don't get me wrong, I agree that JG is an upgrade. I was just answering the comment that BB couldn't carry Jake's jockstrap. They are a bit apart offensively but make no mistake, BB is having a monster year and will have his 40 goal year this year, so I'm certain he's capable to carry his jock, maybe his stick, skates and helmet too 🤗

Could you imagine a 1-2 punch with Petey-Guentzel on the 1st line and JT-BB on the 2nd? That would be fun to watch for sure, and would give us the TOP 6 depth that takes you deep.

I agree with that and will add that I believe Lekkerimäki will be in the lineup at some point next season. I’d like to see him playing with Petey as well.  So if we are to get Guentzel then we could have a Guentzel - Petey - Lekkerimäki top line.  This could be the most dynamic line in hockey…

Guentzel is speculation in terms of any media types or " insiders " questioning if he would be a player the Canucks could target. The Canucks would be smart to retain Hoglander, Kuzmenko and Pod all whom many have suggested be part of a package deal.

There are plenty of pieces out there that can be had for better scenarios. Remember, Lafferty, DeSmith as examples of quality depth additions that make the whole of the club better. Vancouver doesn't need to expend assets to find a clutch top six scorer, they have one developing in Kuzmenko.

6 minutes ago, EliPeterson40 said:

If you can’t see that this team has a glaring hole on the wing in the top six you must be as blind as the refs this season. 

For sure. Through period 1 our top 9 players are all roughly within a minute of ice time. I think this is what is helping with our depth scoring...our third line getting minutes against 3rd and 4th line opponents (pads their stats a bit). But it seems to be a formula that's working. If you only have 8 players or so cable of putting up 20 goals each, then you have to spread out the ice-time. But if you have 3-4 guys capable of 35+ goals then you can really lay the boots to your opponents. Getting Guentzel into our top 6 would accomplish that...lay the boots firmly up our opponents arses.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

youdo, but the same reason that Pit would want Hogz is the same reason Vancouver should keep him.  They need cheap, cost effective scoring wingers.  

Watch him breakout in Pitts if he's traded there. 

Winnipeg's having a great season so far. They're big, and they're strong. They got four lines that can play effective minutes. I'm not sure that Vancouver can win against a team like that. We have Vegas that is much like the same team in Winnipeg. Is this really an all in season? Because if it's not, I'm loathe to trade away that first round pick in this year's draft. Especially with uncertainty with Petey's contract, and the rest of the depth of the roster. There's no way this same team comes back next season. Could it be possible that we're taking a step back next season? 

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Watch him breakout in Pitts if he's traded there. 

Winnipeg's having a great season so far. They're big, and they're strong. They got four lines that can play effective minutes. I'm not sure that Vancouver can win against a team like that. We have Vegas that is much like the same team in Winnipeg. Is this really an all in season? Because if it's not, I'm loathe to trade away that first round pick in this year's draft. Especially with uncertainty with Petey's contract, and the rest of the depth of the roster. There's no way this same team comes back next season. Could it be possible that we're taking a step back next season? 

I don't think so and I do think they can match up against those teams, but femko would have to carry them I think.

I don't think they'll take a step back, no.  However, there's a lot of unknowns going into the off season, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

So basically sign/trade for a ~$4m or less RHD, move Garland and replace with a kid, upgrade Kuzy in to Guentzel.

Still eventually need another bigger body in the top 6 (Podkolzin?) to replace/bump down PDG, but that keeps us improving while we wait for cap to continue going up, guys to develop etc.

Space coming in:

• Salary cap going up by 4 million
  • Myers 6 million off the books
  • Cole 3 million off the books (we might re-sign him)
  • Kuzmenko out, so 5.5 million off the books
  • Garland out, so ~5 million off the books

Net salary coming in:

• Petey re-sign...I think a 3 million pay raise is reasonable, if not more
  • Hronek re-sign...that's at least another 3 million raise
  • Zadorov re-sign...probably around the same salary, but a small raise
  • DeSmith re-sign...probably getting raise of around 1 million
  • OEL buyout going up by 2 million (and another 2 million the year after)
  • Another RHD for 4 million as you said + plus a replacement for Myers and Cole (?)
  • Guentzel re-sign...for what? 7 million bare minimum (probably 8 million), for a long-term contract. 
    • Don't get me wrong, Miller's a beast, but signing another late-20s forward to a long-term contract worries me

That's 23.5 million out and 21 million coming in. And that 21 million figure doesn't include a replacement D for Myers or Cole (if we don't resign him) and doesn't account for another 2 million being taken up by OEL buyout the year after. 

I'd rather take my chances and wait a year or two to see how Lekkerimaki, Podz, Willander, D-Petey and Brzustewicz pan out on cost-controlled ELCs to fill out our top-6/top-4 D. 

15 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Space coming in:

• Salary cap going up by 4 million
  • Myers 6 million off the books
  • Cole 3 million off the books (we might re-sign him)
  • Kuzmenko out, so 5.5 million off the books
  • Garland out, so ~5 million off the books

Net salary coming in:

• Petey re-sign...I think a 3 million pay raise is reasonable, if not more
  • Hronek re-sign...that's at least another 3 million raise
  • Zadorov re-sign...probably around the same salary, but a small raise
  • DeSmith re-sign...probably getting raise of around 1 million
  • OEL buyout going up by 2 million (and another 2 million the year after)
  • Another RHD for 4 million as you said + plus a replacement for Myers and Cole (?)
  • Guentzel re-sign...for what? 7 million bare minimum (probably 8 million), for a long-term contract. 
    • Don't get me wrong, Miller's a beast, but signing another late-20s forward to a long-term contract worries me

That's 23.5 million out and 21 million coming in. And that 21 million figure doesn't include a replacement D for Myers or Cole (if we don't resign him) and doesn't account for another 2 million being taken up by OEL buyout the year after. 

I'd rather take my chances and wait a year or two to see how Lekkerimaki, Podz, Willander, D-Petey and Brzustewicz pan out on cost-controlled ELCs to fill out our top-6/top-4 D. 

Cole is replaced by extended Zadorov, $4m D replaces Myers.  So no, we don't need to replace those as well.

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, $4m guy

Soucy, ~$1m ELC kid/Juulsen, cheap vet etc

The cap is forecasted to go up $4m+ both of the next two seasons (and continue to rise after). Poolman also comes off after next season (since you seem worried about that year too). With the right moves, adding Guentzel is very doable.

Those prospects are more than a year or two away from being full time top 6 F's or top 4 D's on a contending team.