[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

With the right moves, adding Guentzel is very doable.

Yeah, but I'm worried about adding another guy who's 30, to another long term deal. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't think so and I do think they can match up against those teams, but femko would have to carry them I think.

I don't think they'll take a step back, no.  However, there's a lot of unknowns going into the off season, that's for sure.

Why do you think they won't take a step back? The team could very well be losing some key depth players entering into the off-season. 

8 hours ago, Coryberg said:

So you would rather not have signed Cole, soucy, blueger and suter? 

Instead you would rather have 7.26 million tied up in OEL for the next 4 seasons?

Yeah that would push us over the top!!!

Not what I said. But good sound byte for you... I said it was a mistake as having a 4.7 dead cap hit when your window is approaching, that scenario blows. 

15 minutes ago, canuck73 said:

Not what I said. But good sound byte for you... I said it was a mistake as having a 4.7 dead cap hit when your window is approaching, that scenario blows. 

Having the dead cap space is not ideal.  It’s brutal actually.  But having OEL on your 3rd pairing getting paid $7.26 million for the next 4 years while your team is trying to contend for the Cup is even worse.

I am sure they exhausted all avenues in trying to trade OEL when he was here.  Nobody wanted him even at 50% cap retention.  Florida took a chance on him on a one year deal.  He’s currently on their 3rd pairing playing 15-16 minutes a night.  At $2.75 million that’s okay.  At $7.26 million it would have killed our team…

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ABNuck said:

You'll note that I said "IF"...it's not as definitive as "Petey isn't going anywhere"...do you see the difference?

He's an rfa, club controlled.

Do you think someone will offersheer him and give up 4 1st rd picks?

Come on...

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ain’t gonna happen.

Would cost us a 1st and a top prospect.

This team is not in a position to do that.

I respectfully disagree.

I think this team has exceeded everyone's expectations, including management. And they will look to continue to upgrade the team. I don't think they will be trading a top prospect. Maybe a 1st if they're at the top of the league. But I could see something like Kuzmenko and Räty for whoever. PA has been pretty shrewd with his moves.

I am assuming someone mentioned the fact both teams are chasing playoffs. So the odds of a deal being done would likely involve active players. Pittsburgh didn't trade for Karlsson just to sell Guentzel for picks and prospects. Not that we really have the ammo to make that deal anyway. It'd probably involve Kuzmenko. Been a healthy scratch fairly often. They kick the UFA can down the road one more season since Kuzy has an extra year on his deal compared to Guentzel.

The problem is Guentzel is worth a fair bit more than just Kuzy. So I doubt Kuzy and a 2nd gets it done. Tough deal to make and to even get a fair estimation of value. Guentzel is a UFA and they are still a contender even if just a fringe one. So they aren't gonna do the cap dump, 1st and a prospect deal. Do we do Kuzy and a 1st for half a season of Guentzel? I mean, this is definitely the year to try capitalize on our window with Petey and Hronek's extensions eating what little cap we'll have. I been saying that the 1st should be on the table. Our window is widest now. Unless Willander and Lekkerimaki over-exceed expectations. Guentzel and a mid round pick (4th/5th) for Kuzy and a 1st. See how much damage we can do in April. They can flip that 1st at the deadline for more help.

1 hour ago, canuck73 said:

So you wouldn't want the 7.26 million of OEL salary and you wouldn't want the 4.76 million penalty. Not sure what the other option was.

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

He's an rfa, club controlled.

Do you think someone will offersheer him and give up 4 1st rd picks?

Come on...

So if we can't sign him...because he doesn't want to or he wants too much money, we should just stash him away until he becomes a UFA then? Or should we trade him and get something back? Come on...thoughts?

3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

So you wouldn't want the 7.26 million of OEL salary and you wouldn't want the 4.76 million penalty. Not sure what the other option was.

Wait to see if he plays better after a healthy offseason (people are quick to forget he was quite solid his first season in Vancouver) and if he does you can trade him with some retention. Could even go up to 50% retention and then be stuck with just $3.63M. Worst case scenario, he doesn't rebound at all and you still buy him out at essentially the same cap penalty (actually slightly lower).

Regarding Guentzel, if we are targeting him it's to replace Kuzmenko as he can't seem to leave Tocchet's doghouse. Trade would likely revolve around Kuzmenko plus a high draft pick or high-end prospect.

4 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

I respectfully disagree.

I think this team has exceeded everyone's expectations, including management. And they will look to continue to upgrade the team. I don't think they will be trading a top prospect. Maybe a 1st if they're at the top of the league. But I could see something like Kuzmenko and Räty for whoever. PA has been pretty shrewd with his moves.

Would hate to lose Räty though. He's been making good progress in abby. 

3 hours ago, ABNuck said:

So if we can't sign him...because he doesn't want to or he wants too much money, we should just stash him away until he becomes a UFA then? Or should we trade him and get something back? Come on...thoughts?

a trade is probably likely at that point if we can't sign him. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Ain’t gonna happen.

Would cost us a 1st and a top prospect.

This team is not in a position to do that.

I wouldn't do it either. I don't think the team is in the position to do that, but what do I know. 

5 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Wait to see if he plays better after a healthy offseason (people are quick to forget he was quite solid his first season in Vancouver) and if he does you can trade him with some retention. Could even go up to 50% retention and then be stuck with just $3.63M. Worst case scenario, he doesn't rebound at all and you still buy him out at essentially the same cap penalty (actually slightly lower).

Regarding Guentzel, if we are targeting him it's to replace Kuzmenko as he can't seem to leave Tocchet's doghouse. Trade would likely revolve around Kuzmenko plus a high draft pick or high-end prospect.

So no Cole, Soucy, Suter or Blueger. Just return with last year's roster hoping for the best. Something tells me that wouldn't have worked out better.

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Would hate to lose Räty though. He's been making good progress in abby. 

If its for a player like Guentzel or Lindholm then yeah 

Räty is in a lower tier of prospect imo.

Guys like Willander, Lekeremaki, Bruschtewicz (sp?) D E. Pettersson I have ranked ahead.

I trust this Jimmy and PA to get it done without mortgaging the future.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Coryberg said:

So no Cole, Soucy, Suter or Blueger. Just return with last year's roster hoping for the best. Something tells me that wouldn't have worked out better.

We definitely wouldn't have all of them this season, but we probably would still have at least one if not multiple of them. 9.75M in total cap does not equal 7.26M. Also not everything happens in a vacuum.

You were asking what the other option was. That was the other option.

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Is there a possibility that there is a player for player trade?

Boeser for Guentzel

Sid likes the Flo

I dont know with Kuzmenkop taking a step back Boeser is our only actual top 6 scorer thats right handed.

Hes younger, just rebounded and will cost less on his next contract then Jake.

I dont really understand why Pits would trade Jake unless he told them he doesn't wanna resign and they fall out of the playoff race before the TDL.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Is there a possibility that there is a player for player trade?

Boeser for Guentzel

Sid likes the Flo

This would be a lateral move at best.  Can’t see how this helps the Canucks losing their top scorer (this season).  Canucks lose a younger scorer that has one more year at $6.65M for an older scorer that will be UFA.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

I dont know with Kuzmenkop taking a step back Boeser is our only actual top 6 scorer thats right handed.

Hes younger, just rebounded and will cost less on his next contract then Jake.

I dont really understand why Pits would trade Jake unless he told them he doesn't wanna resign and they fall out of the playoff race before the TDL.

True. And how much of Guentzel’s success is Crosby and Malkin? Remember BJ Macdonald? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1