[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

Considering Guentzel has only played for PIT in his career, no one really knows what he could do on another team. I think the Canucks have better offense than PIT.  

16 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

We definitely wouldn't have all of them this season, but we probably would still have at least one if not multiple of them. 9.75M in total cap does not equal 7.26M. Also not everything happens in a vacuum.

You were asking what the other option was. That was the other option.

Well you would have to fill the roster spots that those 4 players take.

7.26 for OEL + 3 plugs at 800k= 9.66M

I'll predict, the final forward group after the TDL:

Guentzel - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Di Giuseppe - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Greenway - Blueger - Lafferty

Aman

Missing notables:  Kuzmenko, Hoglander +

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That is a massive overpayment for a player whose contract is ending. 

Sure is. They aren't trading him for anything less when Crosby is still around and playing the way he is. 

No thanks to overpaying for a rental.  Hoping we can poach someone like Vatrano from the Ducks.  Shouldn't cost a ton, has a couple years left on his contract, scoring at a career high and had 13 points in 20 playoff games with the Rangers 2 years ago.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Grandmaster said:

The Pens got to be out of the playoff picture for this to happen. Let’s wait another 20 games and see

And/or Guentzel not wanting to extend or PIT not wanting to tie themselves to 8 years with their two stars approaching 40.

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

The Pens got to be out of the playoff picture for this to happen. Let’s wait another 20 games and see

Exactly last I heard they were 2 points out of the last wild card and just won the other night so.. no way they trade him until they're out or the playoffs. Is he not Crosby's winger? and has been his whole career or something I read.

Edited by Rick_theRyper
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

And/or Guentzel not wanting to extend or PIT not wanting to tie themselves to 8 years with their two stars approaching 40.

I mean, we're not that far off either with Miller by the time his contract is done, will be in his late 30's. If we trade for Guentzel, and sign him to an extension, he'll be in his 36/37 year, almost the same age as Miller by the time their contract will be done. So many questions come into play right. Are their contracts going to age well? Are they still going to be productive in those latter stages of their career? Are they even going to be useful (at the very least)? I'd be okay with trading for Guentzel for Kuzmenko, a swap of players, maybe we probably have to add, but signing Guentzel to a 4-5 year deal is preferrable for me. With that being said, why would he sign that deal when he can probably get the max deal in free agency. 

To Pit: Kuzmenko, Myers 

To Van: Guentzel, Reilly 

Guentzel-Miler-Boeser

Mykheyev-Pettersson-Reilly

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty 

Aman-Di Gueseppe 

Hughes-Hronek 

Zadorov-Soucy 

Cole-Juulsen

Friedman 

That top 6 is nasty and say what you will about Myers but the blueline takes a real hit without him.

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

YESSSSSS

tbh- I totally see why - PIT is a bubble team, core is old, JG is not part of the elite go for broke core (SC, EM, EK, CL), also he's a non premium position.I see a world where Dubas trades Guentzel for 2 y9oungr players who can play now, because PIT is not in full rebuild mode, also, they would have to flip a 1st or a top prospect for a player who can play now... hello JG for Kuzy +hogz ( two players with upside who can play now) and then they don't lose JG for nothing 

• Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

YESSSSSS

tbh- I totally see why - PIT is a bubble team, core is old, JG is not part of the elite go for broke core (SC, EM, EK, CL), also he's a non premium position.I see a world where Dubas trades Guentzel for 2 y9oungr players who can play now, because PIT is not in full rebuild mode, also, they would have to flip a 1st or a top prospect for a player who can play now... hello JG for Kuzy +hogz ( two players with upside who can play now) and then they don't lose JG for nothing 

Agreed. I don't think it costs us Hoglander though. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Billabong said:

To Pit: Kuzmenko, Myers 

To Van: Guentzel, Reilly 

Guentzel-Miler-Boeser

Mykheyev-Pettersson-Reilly

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty 

Aman-Di Gueseppe 

Hughes-Hronek 

Zadorov-Soucy 

Cole-Juulsen

Friedman 

That top 6 is nasty and say what you will about Myers but the blueline takes a real hit without him.

Pitts doesn't have the cap space to even add the extra 500k to make that trade.

Also why does Pittsburgh want tyler myers? They have Karlsson and Letang on the right side already, their 3rd RHD gets 12 minutes a night.

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Pitts doesn't have the cap space to even add the extra 500k to make that trade.

Also why does Pittsburgh want tyler myers? They have Karlsson and Letang on the right side already, their 3rd RHD gets 12 minutes a night.

Kuzy for Guentzel straight up, PIT saves 500K of cap 

40 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

agree I think Kuzy +hogz is a bit of an overpay for a 30 yr old who has only played for pit ever and is a UFA

Guentzel is legit. More so that it's an expiring contract. And until/if he gets extended, he's a rental. Just like people were overvaluing the cost of Zadorov as a rental, I believe many here are overvaluing a rental Guentzel as well.

An under contract replacement (albeit downgrade) in Kuzmenko and a couple young, NHL ready/near NHL players +/- that can help them flesh out their very thin bottom 6, should be enough IMO. A couple of Aman/Karlsson/McDonagh/Sasson/Bains/Woo/Johansson/Hirose etc

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the Lotto line stays together then we may need a 2C instead. 

Pavel Buchnevich would be the guy.  To make an all Russian line.

Miller           Pettersson     Boeser 

Kuzmenko   Buchnevich   Mikheyev 

Yes but what would it take to get him?

I think another trade in being persued but two might need to happen then for a 2c and a RHD.

That way next year we only need to fill the Myers hole and bring up two or three players to stay under the cap.

54 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I think another trade in being persued but two might need to happen then for a 2c and a RHD.

That way next year we only need to fill the Myers hole and bring up two or three players to stay under the cap.

In order to keep Kuzmenko and get Buchnevich for this year we will need to sacrifice on defence.  Buchnevich is at $5.8 million, so logically the one guy that would need to go is Myers to balance the cap.  St. Louis would have Myers off the books in the summer, so that would be the only way this could work.  Would have to be Myers plus Hoglander and either a 2nd or a 1st round pick.  

Then we’d have to get a RHD to fill Myers spot.  We could play Cole on the right side, but if we want to make a playoff run we would need another Dman.  So another trade would need to happen…

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the Lotto line stays together then we may need a 2C instead. 

Pavel Buchnevich would be the guy.  To make an all Russian line.

Miller           Pettersson     Boeser 

Kuzmenko   Buchnevich   Mikheyev 

Buchnevich would be a great add. What would St. Louis want in return? 

Probably starts with a 1st. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In order to keep Kuzmenko and get Buchnevich for this year we will need to sacrifice on defence.  Buchnevich is at $5.8 million, so logically the one guy that would need to go is Myers to balance the cap.  St. Louis would have Myers off the books in the summer, so that would be the only way this could work.  Would have to be Myers plus Hoglander and either a 2nd or a 1st round pick.  

Then we’d have to get a RHD to fill Myers spot.  We could play Cole on the right side, but if we want to make a playoff run we would need another Dman.  So another trade would need to happen…

I can't see Allvin making that many moves. 

It's hard enough to try to get a RHD, but to get both Buchnevich and a RHD on the same trade deadline? Slim chance that happens. 

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

would love Buchnevich in Canuck colours. It'll be interesting to see what Allvin does, and who he adds to the roster to bolster for a playoff run. 

On 1/5/2024 at 1:23 PM, Rusty Shackleford said:

No thanks to overpaying for a rental.  Hoping we can poach someone like Vatrano from the Ducks.  Shouldn't cost a ton, has a couple years left on his contract, scoring at a career high and had 13 points in 20 playoff games with the Rangers 2 years ago.  

This makes more sense. What’s his cap hit?