[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In order to keep Kuzmenko and get Buchnevich for this year we will need to sacrifice on defence.  Buchnevich is at $5.8 million, so logically the one guy that would need to go is Myers to balance the cap.  St. Louis would have Myers off the books in the summer, so that would be the only way this could work.  Would have to be Myers plus Hoglander and either a 2nd or a 1st round pick.  

Then we’d have to get a RHD to fill Myers spot.  We could play Cole on the right side, but if we want to make a playoff run we would need another Dman.  So another trade would need to happen…

Myers, Hoglander, and a 1st is this year's Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st, but here for it all day. I love that Russian 2nd line behind the Lotto line, but isn't Pavel a left-winger?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Myers, Hoglander, and a 1st is this year's Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st, but here for it all day. I love that Russian 2nd line behind the Lotto line, but isn't Pavel a left-winger?

Yes, Pavel is more of winger although he could play centre. 

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, Pavel is more of winger although he could play centre. 

If PA could somehow acquire Buchnevich, wow the dynamics of our forward group would be so much deadlier, but only if Kuz would be allowed to do his thing in the top 6....which continually begs the question, does he (Kuz) really need to be a stalwart defensively? I mean, is RT trying to turn him into the Honey Badger, or is 50% defensively aware Kuz, along with his 100% offensive prowess good enough? 

I would be worried if they trade valuable assets for a guy pushing 30 who will want a big contract.

I know some will think im nuts, but what about Daniel Sprong.  He would basically be a rental - his 2 million dollar contract expires at the end of the year. Detroit is currently out of a playoff spot, maybe he could be had.

Last year he was one of the top p/60 players in the league.  This year his p/60 is comparable to Kreider, Byfield and Stone.

Im thinking they should find a guy thats cheap that could potentially get to another level if they play him with EP40.  He is still relatively young (26) and if he performs well they can re-sign him.

Maybe the pro scouting dept can pull another rabbit out of the hat - if not this guy then maybe someone similar?

Edit - just found this:

Edit2 - just noticed "flaws in defense" and realized Tocc will probably hate him lol

Edited by Darius

1 minute ago, Darius said:

I would be worried if they trade valuable assets for a guy pushing 30 who will want a big contract.

I know some will think im nuts, but what about Daniel Sprong.  He would basically be a rental - his 2 million dollar contract expires at the end of the year. Detroit is currently out of a playoff spot, maybe he could be had.

Last year he was one of the top p/60 players in the league.  This year his p/60 is comparable to Kreider, Byfield and Stone.

Im thinking they should find a guy thats cheap that could potentially get to another level if they play him with EP40.  He is still relatively young (26) and if he performs well they can re-sign him.

Maybe the pro scouting dept can pull another rabbit out of the hat - if not this guy then maybe someone similar?

I've never seen a unicorn in my life. But if you say they're out there, they must be out there lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Edit - just found this:

Edit2 - just noticed "flaws in defense" and realized Tocc will probably hate him lol

You know. Sprong could be a good fit and is the type of player I could totally see PA target.

edit: though probably not a Tocchet kind of player, with the Defensive numbers, so maybe not. I haven’t seen him play much, but he’s always stood out (in a good way) to me, whenever Nucks have played against him.

Edited by arsenalian
  • Cheers 1

Since we are good partners with Pittsburg, instead of this guy can we go bigger? What would it take to grab Crosby? 

Obviously we need to wait till they are for sure out of the playoffs. 

2024 1st, 2025 1st, Raty and Kuzy enough? For those before they say, Kuzy is not neg value, even at his current Cap hit, that’s just nonsense. 

With the re-emergence of the Lotto line, perhaps its best for us to go after a #2 C, rather than another winger? 

Worthy to note that the Canucks have a lot of higher ceiling wingers in the system (notably Podkolzin and Lekkerimaki, and who knows how much more Hoglander can elevate his game) - same can't be said for centers where it currently looks like Aatu Raty has the highest offensive ceiling out of all Canucks centermen prospects. 

2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

With the re-emergence of the Lotto line, perhaps its best for us to go after a #2 C, rather than another winger? 

Worthy to note that the Canucks have a lot of higher ceiling wingers in the system (notably Podkolzin and Lekkerimaki, and who knows how much more Hoglander can elevate his game) - same can't be said for centers where it currently looks like Aatu Raty has the highest offensive ceiling out of all Canucks centermen prospects. 

Thing is, we need a rhc, as it's a major weakness not having a single rhc. And the problem is that there are zero guys out there who would fit our need, aside from Lindholm. I would loooove to get him, but it would cost a lot, and he would likely be a rental. 

3 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Since we are good partners with Pittsburg, instead of this guy can we go bigger? What would it take to grab Crosby? 

Obviously we need to wait till they are for sure out of the playoffs. 

2024 1st, 2025 1st, Raty and Kuzy enough? For those before they say, Kuzy is not neg value, even at his current Cap hit, that’s just nonsense. 

Alternatively, any chance we could get Geno? Keep Kuz and have an all Russian 2nd line:

Mik - Malkin - Kuz

1st, Raty, Hunter B? 

12 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Alternatively, any chance we could get Geno? Keep Kuz and have an all Russian 2nd line:

Mik - Malkin - Kuz

1st, Raty, Hunter B? 

That’s good too. The point is to chase after the big fish. Something that will make us a favourite. I would sacrifice just about anything to get our first Cup

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Will they be retaining 100%?

We would have to send some salary back, a non core player.  Also have to sweeten it with picks / prospects for them to retain some

Edited by Grandmaster

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

We would have to send some salary back, a non core player.  Also have to sweeten it with more picks for them to retain some

Of course. For me, it's Lindholm or Guentzel. I think the latter would be harder to re-sign, but the former might cost the most. It's a tough one. I want to make a trade for one of these guys so badly, but I'm also so torn, as standing pat might just be our best move. Any deal has to involve at least Kuzy, maybe even Hogs. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Of course. For me, it's Lindholm or Guentzel. I think the latter would be harder to re-sign, but the former might cost the most. It's a tough one. I want to make a trade for one of these guys so badly, but I'm also so torn, as standing pat might just be our best move. Any deal has to involve at least Kuzy, maybe even Hogs. 

I personally care more about getting the most impactful player now to go for the Cup.

I’m not so sure those guys are big enough players to do that.

As long as we keep our core. Don’t mess with the core; Lotto line players, Hughes, Hronek and Demko

5 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I personally care more about getting the most impactful player now to go for the Cup.

I’m not so sure those guys are big enough players to do that.

As long as we keep our core. Don’t mess with the core; Lotto line players, Hughes, Hronek and Demko

Lindholm is a legit 2C who's right handed and available (very rare), and Guentzel is a legit 1st line winger who knows how to play the game the right way. Either would make us serious contenders this year. Again, though, they'd likely be rentals, and that's a tough one with what those teams would be asking. 

It's a pickle. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Lindholm is a legit 2C who's right handed and available (very rare), and Guentzel is a legit 1st line winger who knows how to play the game the right way. Either would make us serious contenders this year. Again, though, they'd likely be rentals, and that's a tough one with what those teams would be asking. 

It's a pickle. 

If Lindholm will resign at a fair price I don’t mind unloading a first a prospect and Kuzmenko for him as long as that prospect is not lek or willander 

4 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

If Lindholm will resign at a fair price I don’t mind unloading a first a prospect and Kuzmenko for him as long as that prospect is not lek or willander 

If Lindholm can be re-signed for $6M to $7M AAV, then he would be fantastic.  I wouldn't give up Kuz, otherwise we just open up another hole in the 2nd line.  I'd try and unload Myers for the cap space at the TDL, then put together a package that includes Aatu Raty, 1st round pick, and something else for Lindholm.

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Kuz-Lindholm-Mik

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Juulsen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Me too 100%. Although I don't want Hunter B included. Realistically, what is reasonable for Lindholm to re-sign? 7.5? 8? 9? Prices are crazy these days. I just don’t know how we'd get it done. 

• Like 1

Every year, 6-8 teams give away big chunks of their future to improve incrementally.  If you are in the top 6 or so, you already have a pretty good team.  The improvement of 1 player, unless their are a real superstar or you have some serious injuries, will unlikely be worth it.  If you trade away a 1st, a great prospect and a current roster player(who has been part of the success to date) it is really doubtful it will pay off.  5-7 teams every year are pissed that they mortgaged their future and don't have a Stanley Cup.

In the past few years, we have played without structure and accountability.  Solved.  We have had a mostly AHL and small defense. Solved.  We have also been lacking at the Centre position with a total lack of depth.  We now have Suter, Bluegar, Lafferty, Joshua, and Aman who can play center.  This is way beyond any depth we have had since Manny Malhotra went down.  Solved.  We lack a solid NHL backup goalie.  Solved.

I am just saying that we are way better that we expected this year and the management has already done a masterful job, prior to the deadline and with difficult cap constraints, of bringing in Suter, Bluegar, Lafferty, Zadorov, Soucy, Cole, and DeSmith and filling those holes.  

I say all of this to say I would be very cautious about giving away a 1st, Hunter B, Tom W, D-Petey, Podz, Hogs, or Lekkermaki for an incremental improvement with a rental when we have already made so many.  I trust Alvin however and will hope for the best regardless what he does or doesn't do before the deadline.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If Lindholm can be re-signed for $6M to $7M AAV, then he would be fantastic.  I wouldn't give up Kuz, otherwise we just open up another hole in the 2nd line.  I'd try and unload Myers for the cap space at the TDL, then put together a package that includes Aatu Raty, 1st round pick, and something else for Lindholm.

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Kuz-Lindholm-Mik

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Juulsen

As much as Myers has sent us all off the deep end throughout his contract, nobody can deny he’s played much better this season and I’d worry about our defensive depth on the right side with only 2 rds and I don’t see Calgary wanting Myers doesn’t make sense for them, Kuzmenko would immediately slot into Calgary’s top 6, I think the trade makes lots of sense for both sides as Calgary wants to retool and then Lindholm and the Swedish factor 

31 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Me too 100%. Although I don't want Hunter B included. Realistically, what is reasonable for Lindholm to re-sign? 7.5? 8? 9? Prices are crazy these days. I just don’t know how we'd get it done. 

yah a prospect like hunter along with a first and Kuzmenko I’m asking for retention on Lindholms contract that allows us to make one other depth move or maybe somehow make tanev come home in the trade with a few moving parts, my brains all over the map now I gotta think about this hypothetical trade that I have 0 say in now 😂

Edited by Captain insano

A buddy of mine is a Flames fan and the rumors/rumblings around the cost to resign Lindholm was at around the 9-9.5m a year mark. 

Lindholm on paper looks great, but he also mentioned his play has been not so great this year. I also feel like a trade this big wouldn't happen within the same division as well. The Zadorov trade isn't nearly as big as this one would be.

2 minutes ago, ngoway said:

A buddy of mine is a Flames fan and the rumors/rumblings around the cost to resign Lindholm was at around the 9-9.5m a year mark. 

Lindholm on paper looks great, but he also mentioned his play has been not so great this year. I also feel like a trade this big wouldn't happen within the same division as well. The Zadorov trade isn't nearly as big as this one would be.

Lindholm for 9 to 9.5??  That would make zero sense for any GM.

He had 82 points 2 years ago.  His best offensive season ever. 

Then he dropped to 64 points last year.

This year is on pace for about 50 points.

9 to 9.5M ?  He will be about 40 to 45 points short of the point totals required to be asking for that kinda money.

• Vintage 1