[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

30 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Me too 100%. Although I don't want Hunter B included. Realistically, what is reasonable for Lindholm to re-sign? 7.5? 8? 9? Prices are crazy these days. I just don’t know how we'd get it done. 

See my post above.

I think he's in the $7M range.  Typically it's about $1M for every 10 points as a forward, plus whatever intangibles he brings.  He had 60 something points last year, and is on pace for 50ish this year.  That puts him in the $6M range + intangibles = $7M to $7.5M max.  Any team giving him $8M+ is foolish.

Just now, HKSR said:

Lindholm for 9 to 9.5??  That would make zero sense for any GM.

He had 82 points 2 years ago.  His best offensive season ever. 

Then he dropped to 64 points last year.

This year is on pace for about 50 points.

9 to 9.5M ?  He will be about 40 to 45 points short of the point totals required to be asking for that kinda money.

Yup, which is why it seems it would be a huge risk for us to go for Lindholm as he'd be a rental. Calgary sees Lindholm as a Patrice Bergeron lite, and the feeling is that they wouldn't be able to keep him on his new contract whatever that might be.

I don't see the current management group going for that risk even though this does seem like a year to go for it. Luckily they've proven to us that they've got the short and long term in mind so we're not just wasting prospects/resources in these trades.

Lindholm would be an interesting add. Certainly vastly improves our center depth but also might be a pure rental if he wants an 8 year contract or an unreasonable cap hit.

Realistically, he would probably cost a 1st, one of Kuzmenko/Garland to make the cap work, and a decent prospect. Even though his production dropped last year and this year, he is still a recent Selke finalist.

I do love the idea of a Mikheyev - Lindholm - Höglanger/Kuzmenko 2nd line though.

Also love J Guentzel he’s dynamic but ufa 

ARZ following out of playoff race 

maybe they let Crouse go

hes something we do not have 

power forward (although Miller kinda does it all)

greenway with retention 

to ARZ

Kuzmenko 

Aman

to VAN

2024 3rd

Crouse 

OR

to BUF

2025 2st 

Kuzmenko 

to VAN

Greenway 

Mittekstadt 

Petey Miller Brock 

milky Mittekstadt Hoglander 

joshua Bluegger Garland 

Greenway Suter Aman 

Nick Bjugstad.  6'6" RHC, 21 pts in 38 games this season and over 50% in the dot.  2 years left at 2.1m and makes us even tougher up front.  That's the type of player we need in the playoffs and should come in much cheaper.  Let someone else overpay for Lindholm 

• Cheers 1

I wouldn't trade for Guentzel, I'd probably just hope Kuz can figure it out. I would rather trade assets for a young 2C who is cost-controlled, incase things go sideways in the playoffs atleast we are still set for subsequent playoff runs.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

I wouldn't trade for Guentzel, I'd probably just hope Kuz can figure it out. I would rather trade assets for a young 2C who is cost-controlled, incase things go sideways in the playoffs atleast we are still set for subsequent playoff runs.

After hearing what they are asking for him, I’m no longer a fan of trading for Jake, dare I question this regime on their management capabilities tho…. A trade for Jake makes me think boeser would be on his way out in the summer

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Lots and lots of guentzel talk on twitter today, am I missing something? Just media all piggybacking off each other or some new news here? 

4 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

After hearing what they are asking for him, I’m no longer a fan of trading for Jake, dare I question this regime on their management capabilities tho…. A trade for Jake makes me think boeser would be on his way out in the summer

I'm thinking it's more spitballing. Management is probably looking at all potential moves they can make. The media is probably just running on assumptions based on the need of the team right now. Unless word comes from Alvin himself, I wouldn't put much stock into it. Boeser is a Canuck and should remain so.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

What was the ask?

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What was the ask?

I saw Kuz + Hoglander for Guentzel as a rental. 

Most people said no, which I understand just based on how conservatively the fan base approaches every trade proposal…

but while I usually love bold moves I agree with the “no” for once.  The gap between Hoglander at a bargain vs premium priced Guentzel is debatable.  Really hope if we make a move Hoglander is off the table.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I saw Kuz + Hoglander for Guentzel as a rental. 

Most people said no, which I understand just based on how conservatively the fan base approaches every trade proposal…

but while I usually love bold moves I agree with the “no” for once.  The gap between Hoglander at a bargain vs premium priced Guentzel is debatable.  Really hope if we make a move Hoglander is off the table.

No fucking way. I'd rather have Hoglander, who'll be a tenacious playoff performer, and, if need be, trade Kuzmenko for a more physical skilled forward than Johhny Wondernuts from Pittsburgh. 

• Cheers 1

Coiler fans are slobbering over this guy.  It would add another dimension to their offence other than the two man show (Sorry but I see Hyman as a glorified Anson Carter - 15-20 goal guy into his late 20s until put on a line with McDavid)

As for the Canucks. ..any talk of hogz should be a no go.  

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

Coiler fans are slobbering over this guy.  It would add another dimension to their offence other than the two man show (Sorry but I see Hyman as a glorified Anson Carter - 15-20 goal guy into his late 20s until put on a line with McDavid)

As for the Canucks. ..any talk of hogz should be a no go.  

Edmonton is in one of the worst cap situations in the nhl with mcdavid drai and bouchard all up for big raises and Connor browns 3.25 bonus against their cap next season I just don’t see what oilers have to move for him and how they will retain him end of the day, rnh on his way out? Nobody touching evander especially not Pittsburgh and karlssons history with Kane… curious to why they wouldn’t be on the hunt for a goalie or a top pairing dman if they are going this big 

11 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Edmonton is in one of the worst cap situations in the nhl with mcdavid drai and bouchard all up for big raises and Connor browns 3.25 bonus against their cap next season I just don’t see what oilers have to move for him and how they will retain him end of the day, rnh on his way out? Nobody touching evander especially not Pittsburgh and karlssons history with Kane… curious to why they wouldn’t be on the hunt for a goalie or a top pairing dman if they are going this big 

I think the last few weeks they have duped into thinking Skinner is a legit starting goalie.  Some guy was posting his save percentage this morning on X/twitter as something like .92xxx  .. hopefully they think they can run with him haha

You make good points about their cap, from what Ive seen they think Evander is on the way out (im getting this from HF and X\twitter)

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think the last few weeks they have duped into thinking Skinner is a legit starting goalie.  Some guy was posting his save percentage this morning on X/twitter as something like .92xxx  .. hopefully they think they can run with him haha

You make good points about their cap, from what Ive seen they think Evander is on the way out (im getting this from HF and X\twitter)

If you look at all the teams on back to backs they played they got like 7 of 8 games vs a back up goalie and how weak their schedule has been I think it’s very safe to say Edmonton regresses hard after they finish up this easy month of January they have, if they continue on through the month of February I will eat my words but analytics don’t do them favours when looking at schedule strength and how they have only played a single Back to back of their own and have 9 to be played still, not ideal for a 2 line team 

Edited by Captain insano
  • Cheers 1

On 1/4/2024 at 10:06 AM, aGENT said:

Slightly yes... Somewhat depending on the "+", and if they can make use of the added cap space swapping G & K gives them.

But if they can't/won't extend Guentzel, it does give them a better chance next year, and more cap space and pieces to play with.

A lot likely depends heavily on how they feel their chances/willingness of extending him before the TDL are. They can't allow him to just walk this summer. And they're unlikely to get a much better, under contract replacement than Kuzy as the return from any other playoff teams.

Am I missing something here.  I know the guy can score but hasn't that been with a future hall of fame and one of the best most tenacious centers to ever play the game?  Guy is 5 11 and 180lbs.  Is he tough enough to make up for peteys physical shortfalls and produce in the play offs?   I'd be after a dude well over 6' and 200 for a play off run.  That second line is tiny

Edited by ronning4center

While Guentzel would be a great add, I don't get the sense that Guentzel is someone this management group would go after. The risks are too high as Guentzel wouldn't come cheap, is on an expiring contract, is due for a raise, and is 29 years old.

This management has made very good short term, but also long term moves to not compromise this team's future. My feeling is that management will go after players:

- On a non expiring contract
- Between 23-27 years old
- Maybe slightly underrated players that our coaching staff can help further develop

29 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Am I missing something here.  I know the guy can score but hasn't that been with a future hall of fame and one of the best most tenacious centers to ever play the game?  Guy is 5 11 and 180lbs.  Is he tough enough to make up for peteys physical shortfalls and produce in the play offs?   I'd be after a dude well over 6' and 200 for a play off run.  That second line is tiny

I'm a HUGE Crosby fan but I don't think either current Miller, or Pettersson, are far off current (or recent), late 30's Crosby.

Is he big? No. But he goes to dirty areas, plays the "right way" and is PPG in the playoffs. So yes, he can produce in the playoffs.

I'd like both personally. We could both use an upgrade on Kuzmenko (Guentzel), and another guy with some size that can play a 2 way/mucker role (maybe Podkolzin eventually...though I'd happily take a guy like Crouse).

Edited by aGENT