[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

I saw Kuz + Hoglander for Guentzel as a rental. 

Most people said no, which I understand just based on how conservatively the fan base approaches every trade proposal…

but while I usually love bold moves I agree with the “no” for once.  The gap between Hoglander at a bargain vs premium priced Guentzel is debatable.  Really hope if we make a move Hoglander is off the table.

I'd do that deal.

2 hours ago, Captain insano said:

After hearing what they are asking for him, I’m no longer a fan of trading for Jake, dare I question this regime on their management capabilities tho…. A trade for Jake makes me think boeser would be on his way out in the summer

There's 2 lines in the top 6, both of which need a shooter/scorer. And on top of that, they play opposite wings. Guentzel would mean by bye to Kuzmenko, not Boeser.

1 hour ago, Captain insano said:

First a top end prospect and a roster player 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

So essentially Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, and a 1st.

Hoglander wouldn’t work with the cap.

Just now, Bob Long said:

They will get that from someone.

"Roster player" in these situations is code for "middling player that provides depth but is largely there to make cap work". Think Beauvilier in the Horvat trade. If it's Kuzmenko goingthe other way, there's no way that includes a "top" prospect. And note it's the asking price, not what the actual trade eventually is.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think Guentzel would make us an immediate contender for this year but the cost to get him would be too high imo, plus we have enough of our own players to worry about resigning after this season to begin with 

Edited by N7_Gyoza
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Dom said:

I don't believe in any of these rumors. Allvin & co have not anything leak so far - expect the unexpected. 

Yup Sid the Kid is coming to the Vancouver Penguins

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's 2 lines in the top 6, both of which need a shooter/scorer. And on top of that, they play opposite wings. Guentzel would mean by bye to Kuzmenko, not Boeser.

"Roster player" in these situations is code for "middling player that provides depth but is largely there to make cap work". Think Beauvilier in the Horvat trade. If it's Kuzmenko goingthe other way, there's no way that includes a "top" prospect. And note it's the asking price, not what the actual trade eventually is.

Dunno man, JG is a proven playoff performer. 

But we shall see. I don't think JR/PA do anything with significant assets for a pure rental. 

I don't see how we'd fit a JG extension into the picture either even if Kuzy went the other way.

Eriksson Ek OTOH would be ideal, but really fricking expensive.

No interest in Guentzel from me. He’s a talented player no doubt and he would likely fit like a glove with Miller. But age and contract are the bugaboos as noted by so many others. 

And let’s all be real - Sid is retiring a Penguin. 

And shut up whoever brings up Gretzky lol 

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Boeser would have to go in the offseason to make dollars work for an extension is what I’m saying not in this trade, guentzel was drafted as a centre but moved to wing because Crosby Malkin are 1-2 c but he’s played centre when injury occurred unless you know something I’m unaware of ? 

I think with kuzmenkos dollar to production this season his value isint worth anymore than a 2nd rounder It would cost minimum Kuzmenko and a first with an additional piece hard to fathom if it’s worth it or not I trust managements decisions as they have made fools of this fan base enough already haha 

3 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Boeser would have to go in the offseason to make dollars work for an extension is what I’m saying not in this trade, guentzel was drafted as a centre but moved to wing because Crosby Malkin are 1-2 c but he’s played centre when injury occurred unless you know something I’m unaware of ? 

I think with kuzmenkos dollar to production this season his value isint worth anymore than a 2nd rounder It would cost minimum Kuzmenko and a first with an additional piece hard to fathom if it’s worth it or not I trust managements decisions as they have made fools of this fan base enough already haha 

Fir the cost to get JG and the cost to re-up him, it's a hard no for me. No one really knows what he's like without Crosby and I'd rather Vancouver isn't the team to find that out.

I'm betting the Pens don't move him anyway

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Not sure the Canucks need Guentzel. They need a #2C, if they plan on keeping the Lotto Line together.

I agree. Guentzel would be sick, but a matchup 2C is a bigger priority. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Fir the cost to get JG and the cost to re-up him, it's a hard no for me. No one really knows what he's like without Crosby and I'd rather Vancouver isn't the team to find that out.

I'm betting the Pens don't move him anyway

I mean his numbers away from Crosby have been pretty strong and from what I’ve watched which is a fair amount he’s a legit first line player, that being said I’m nervous about a big move as GMs normally don’t have much more than 3/4 years of vision as it goes with a revolving job title… I think if we make a trade with penguins that sees only roster player Kuzmenko out the door and not losing either of JL or TW is a price that makes sense from my opinion 

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Dunno man, JG is a proven playoff performer. 

But we shall see. I don't think JR/PA do anything with significant assets for a pure rental. 

I don't see how we'd fit a JG extension into the picture either even if Kuzy went the other way.

Eriksson Ek OTOH would be ideal, but really fricking expensive.

JG is GREAT, but he's also a rental until/if you can extend him. You're not trading for an elite guy with term/RFA protection. Even trading for Hronek (similar "value" player WITH RFA protection) didn't cost as much as some people are suggesting here. It's the same thing on how people were overvaluing Zadorov's rental acquisition costs.

We'd have to move Garland to extend him.

Edited by aGENT

20 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

The name you're looking for is Garland, not Boeser.

31 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Not sure the Canucks need Guentzel. They need a #2C, if they plan on keeping the Lotto Line together.

Eriksson-Ek - make it happen Jimmy/Allvin!

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

33 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I don't think the organization views that as a long term solution.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

JG is GREAT, but he's also a rental until/if you can extend him. You're not trading for an elite guy with term/RFA protection. Even trading for Hronek (similar "value" player WITH RFA protection) didn't cost as much as some people are suggesting here. It's the same thing on how people were overvaluing Zadorov's rental acquisition costs.

We'd have to move Garland to extend him.

I guess I'd have to believe that IF we ended up with JG there would have at least been a discussion with his agent allowed to gauge interest. I have no doubt that Bo's agent had some kind of discussions with the Islanders before that deal was made, e.g.

I doubt Pits would be interested at all in Garly. Kuzy maybe. 

13 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I mean his numbers away from Crosby have been pretty strong and from what I’ve watched which is a fair amount he’s a legit first line player, that being said I’m nervous about a big move as GMs normally don’t have much more than 3/4 years of vision as it goes with a revolving job title… I think if we make a trade with penguins that sees only roster player Kuzmenko out the door and not losing either of JL or TW is a price that makes sense from my opinion 

There's "away from Crosby" and there's not being on Crosby's team anymore.  They aren't the same thing, imo.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think the organization views that as a long term solution.

Doubtful, but if they can get a pure rental 2C at a decent price, they might ride it out for this season

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess I'd have to believe that IF we ended up with JG there would have at least been a discussion with his agent allowed to gauge interest. I have no doubt that Bo's agent had some kind of discussions with the Islanders before that deal was made, e.g.

I'd assume the same.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I doubt Pits would be interested at all in Garly. Kuzy maybe. 

No, I'm saying we'd have to move Garland separately this summer to afford JG's extension. Let Hoglander be that small, puck hounding pest on the 3rd line next year.

• Vintage 1

Given the cap situation at hand and the lotto line re-uniting, I think Sean Monahan or someone very similar makes sense as a rental target.

A center for the 2nd line on a small cap hit. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Doubtful, but if they can get a pure rental 2C at a decent price, they might ride it out for this season

Sure. I like @Rusty Shackleford's suggestion for Bjugstad (next year as well) as a comparatively cheap RHC option that would allow us to run Lotto line or play Bjug at 3C as well. Coaches love depth like that because it gives them options. I like that idea better than overpaying to get guys like Ek (as much as I'd LOVE Ek).

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The name you're looking for is Garland, not Boeser.

Well unfortunately boeser has one season left at this cap hit and if he puts of 40+ he ain’t resigning for anything less than 9, if it came down to choosing between guentzel and boeser I’m probably picking guentzel assuming he puts up when he gets here, if you’re talking garland out you would have to drop another contract as well to make guentzel work, so choice would be something like boeser or garland and hoglander to keep guentzel