[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, I'm saying we'd have to move Garland separately this summer to afford JG's extension. Let Hoglander be that small, puck hounding pest on the 3rd line next year.

ah. 

Well, given how well Garly is playing that certainly seems more possible. I wouldn't expect anything back but I could see a team like CHI maybe or Ottawa wanting to inject some professionalism into the mix?

TBH looking around the league its really tough to point to any team and say "thats our guy" and then try to figure out how to make the cap work. 

But maybe this Pittsburg thing could be it? there's good relationships there, even when Dubie was with TO. I can see Dubie wanting a "now" piece like Kuzy for their PP, and a future piece like Lekker. Thats what I think it would cost if they allowed us to negotiate a JG extension. It would take  two GMs that can trust each other, and I think we have that in Dubas and Allvin. 

2 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Well unfortunately boeser has one season left at this cap hit and if he puts of 40+ he ain’t resigning for anything less than 9, if it came down to choosing between guentzel and boeser I’m probably picking guentzel assuming he puts up when he gets here, if you’re talking garland out you would have to drop another contract as well to make guentzel work, so choice would be something like boeser or garland and hoglander to keep guentzel 

Kuz + Garland (in the summer) out for Guentz is more than enough cap to keep Boser and Guentz long term.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

ah. 

Well, given how well Garly is playing that certainly seems more possible. I wouldn't expect anything back but I could see a team like CHI maybe or Ottawa wanting to inject some professionalism into the mix?

TBH looking around the league its really tough to point to any team and say "thats our guy" and then try to figure out how to make the cap work. 

But maybe this Pittsburg thing could be it? there's good relationships there, even when Dubie was with TO. I can see Dubie wanting a "now" piece like Kuzy for their PP, and a future piece like Lekker. Thats what I think it would cost if they allowed us to negotiate a JG extension. It would take  two GMs that can trust each other, and I think we have that in Dubas and Allvin. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Kuz + Garland (in the summer) out for Guentz is more than enough cap to keep Boser and Guentz long term.

I would move Mik over Garland.  Garland is the engine of that 3rd line.  Take him away and it will become like any other typical 3rd line unit. 

TBH, Mikheyev doesn't seem to have that extra gear like he used to have.  I'd put Hogs in the top 6 next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

No interest in Guentzel from me. He’s a talented player no doubt and he would likely fit like a glove with Miller. But age and contract are the bugaboos as noted by so many others. 

And let’s all be real - Sid is retiring a Penguin. 

And shut up whoever brings up Gretzky lol 

Gretzky was never a Penguin.  Lemieux was... 😝

57 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Not sure the Canucks need Guentzel. They need a #2C, if they plan on keeping the Lotto Line together.

A 2C brings way more flexibility than another top 6 winger.  It allows Miller or Petey to shift to the wing when or as needed.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I would move Mik over Garland.  Garland is the engine of that 3rd line.  Take him away and it will become like any other typical 3rd line unit. 

TBH, Mikheyev doesn't seem to have that extra gear like he used to have.  I'd put Hogs in the top 6 next year.

Mik is coming off major knee surgery and is still performing capably. He's not there (or paid) to be the play driver.

Garland can be replaced by Hoglander.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Mik is coming off major knee surgery and is still performing capably. He's not there (or paid) to be the play driver.

Garland can be replaced by Hoglander.

Not saying Mik needs to be a play driver, it's just that he is probably more replaceable than Garland.  The advanced stats show how valuable Garland was before that line even started lighting it up. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We currently have petey Joshua blueger lafferty hronek zadorov Myers desmith all currently holding a roster spot needing a new contract…. Trust me I would love having miller petey boeser guentzel in our top 6 going forward i just don’t wanna end up like the leafs or oilers and pick a strong top 6 over a deep team, regardless this is much more fun of a debate than the past 5/6 seasons where our fans were chewing each others heads off over 2nd round picks being moved haha 

• Cheers 1

No.......  Even if Kuz improves his forechecking and stops cheating for so much O and becomes a more complete player. Which I think is the right thing for him to have some growing pains. The returns would be nugget potatoes compared to the gains that would be made if we replaced Mikheyev with someone more suited to that role. I think we can have our cake and eat it too with both Brock and Kuzz firing we just need a middle 6 winger who runs around like the house is on fire checking.  

83gp 32 hits 19 blocks hardly PK's Mik's gotta get some skin in the game. 

Edited by Hammertime

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure. I like @Rusty Shackleford's suggestion for Bjugstad (next year as well) as a comparatively cheap RHC option that would allow us to run Lotto line or play Bjug at 3C as well. Coaches love depth like that because it gives them options. I like that idea better than overpaying to get guys like Ek (as much as I'd LOVE Ek).

I like Adam Henrique personally........someone with some skill to play with Kuz

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not saying Mik needs to be a play driver, it's just that he is probably more replaceable than Garland.  The advanced stats show how valuable Garland was before that line even started lighting it up. 

We already have a replacement for Garland in Hoglander. We do not have a speedy, 2 way, top 6 capable forechecker, with size, to replace Mik. So no, he's not. This is not a Garland "bash" either. I quite like Garland...but we can largely replace him with $1.1m Hoglander and build a better top 6.

27 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

We currently have petey Joshua blueger lafferty hronek zadorov Myers desmith all currently holding a roster spot needing a new contract…. Trust me I would love having miller petey boeser guentzel in our top 6 going forward i just don’t wanna end up like the leafs or oilers and pick a strong top 6 over a deep team, regardless this is much more fun of a debate than the past 5/6 seasons where our fans were chewing each others heads off over 2nd round picks being moved haha 

Myers is gone after this summer and will be replaced by a cheaper player. DeSmith likely gone as well (barring a very team friendly extension if he REALLY like it here). Other than Hronek or Petey, most of those guys aren't going to require THAT much in raises.

Moving Garland and rising cap more than allows us to keep Boeser and Guentzel.

We already have a replacement for Garland in Hoglander. We do not have a speedy, 2 way, top 6 capable forechecker, with size, to replace Mik. So no, he's not. This is not a Garland "bash" either. I quite like Garland...but we can largely replace him with $1.1m Hoglander and build a better top 6.

Myers is gone after this summer and will be replaced by a cheaper player. DeSmith likely gone as well (barring a very team friendly extension if he REALLY like it here). Other than Hronek or Petey, most of those guys aren't going to require THAT much in raises.

Moving Garland and rising cap more than allows us to keep Boeser and Guentzel.

I think you're over estimating Hoglander and under estimating Garland.  I know they seem similar, but Garland drives that entire line.  Hoglander isn't there yet.

Mik isn't as speedy as he was before his injury.  Still a good 2 way guy and forechecker, but he only has 2 points more than Garland and Joshua playing next to Petey all year (until recently).  Honestly, if we played Lafferty next to Petey all year, he'd probably be around the same place as Mik.

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think you're over estimating Hoglander and under estimating Garland.  I know they seem similar, but Garland drives that entire line.  Hoglander isn't there yet.

Mik isn't as speedy as he was before his injury.  Still a good 2 way guy and forechecker, but he only has 2 points more than Garland and Joshua playing next to Petey all year (until recently).  Honestly, if we played Lafferty next to Petey all year, he'd probably be around the same place as Mik.

Hoglander has similar production, with less opportunity and is still developing... While at less than 1/4 the cap hit.

Yeah it takes the better part of a year to get your skating back after knee surgery. Trading him now would be short sighted.

Hoglander has similar production, with less opportunity and is still developing... While at less than 1/4 the cap hit.

Yeah it takes the better part of a year to get your skating back after knee surgery. Trading him now would be short sighted.

Agree to disagree. 

I think if Garland is taken off that line and replaced by Hoglander, it won't be as effective.

Mikheyev is on pace for a career year because of his time with Petey.  Lafferty is only 4 points off of Mikheyev's pace playing mostly 4th line minutes.  I'm pretty sure Lafferty would be a perfectly fine replacement. 

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

If the Flames have a fire sale, would rather see if we could scoop up Blake Coleman. Great player on a decent contact.

32 years old, lots of hard miles on him 3 years after this one bringing him to age 35. 4.9 million for a player who has never broke the 40 point mark. I would pass unless Calgary is retaining.

19 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

32 years old, lots of hard miles on him 3 years after this one bringing him to age 35. 4.9 million for a player who has never broke the 40 point mark. I would pass unless Calgary is retaining.

He's 32? Man, still plays a hard game. Love his game.

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

He's 32? Man, still plays a hard game. Love his game.

Yeah he is a good player and having a career season too. His game screams playoff hockey. If he was a pending UFA (and Calgary retained 50%) there would be a bidding war.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Yeah he is a good player and having a career season too. His game screams playoff hockey. If he was a pending UFA (and Calgary retained 50%) there would be a bidding war.

Ya, Coleman would fit perfectly here. 

Minny is bottom 10 team,  they might want to start moving out some guys and  bringiing in younger guys.

if Erikson Ek becomes available out of Minny that's the guy I'd want..

26 year old big body C, puts up descent amount of points. $5.25 million signed long term. 

I don't mind giving up a guy like Hogz + pick + prospect for this type of player. 

Or Raty + pick + prospect if Minny wants a young C back...

He'd be our 2C and we can continue to load up the Lotto Line. 

Guentzel would walk after this season because we wouldn't be able to afford him under the Cap. No point giving up a similar package for a UFA winger when you can get a 2C signed long term. 

31 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Minny is bottom 10 team,  they might want to start moving out some guys and  bringiing in younger guys.

26 year old big body C, puts up descent amount of points. $5.25 million signed long term. 

I don't mind giving up a guy like Hogz + pick + prospect for this type of player. 

Guentzel would walk after this season because we wouldn't be able to afford him under the Cap. No point giving up a similar package for a UFA winger when you can get a 2C signed long term. 

I think we'd be looking at giving up a package similar to what we got for Bo, but probably a bit higher value. Minni would be gutting their c depth and then trying to do a quick retool. 

They have one more year after this of all that dead cap so I guess it's possible.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

If he ever became available, which is doubtful to me he would be a great target.  That immediately changes the dynamic of the team as a second line with Mikheyev and Ek has the makings of a top matchup/shutdown lines in the league… that can also pop in some offence.

Of course half the teams in the league would be in on bidding for him.  His contract and development makes him hugely valuable.

The package you suggest probably doesn’t get us Monahan… never mind Ek.

A package of our 1st, one of our top three prospects, plus Kuzmenko is probably not even getting it done as other teams are in more need of a 1C (which he is) than we need him as a 2C.

Lindholm is probably more achievable and still pretty expensive. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

If he ever became available, which is doubtful to me he would be a great target.  That immediately changes the dynamic of the team as a second line with Mikheyev and Ek has the makings of a top matchup/shutdown lines in the league… that can also pop in some offence.

Of course half the teams in the league would be in on bidding for him.  His contract and development makes him hugely valuable.

The package you suggest probably doesn’t get us Monahan… never mind Ek.

A package of our 1st, one of our top three prospects, plus Kuzmenko is probably not even getting it done as other teams are in more need of a 1C (which he is) than we need him as a 2C.

Lindholm is probably more achievable and still pretty expensive. 

I agree that Ek is more of a dream and what a boon he would be for this team locked in at 5.25 for 6 years.  Interesting note, he has a NTC that kicks in next year.

I don't think Ek is a first line centre but I do think he'll command as much in a trade though I've yet to hear where this rumour started from.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hate to break up that third line. But I guess we'll have a new third line. If Garland is traded, none of those guys on the third line right now would be there. Would be a brand new third line. I want Joshua and Blueger to come back, love those two guys, and they're fulfilling their roles just perfectly.