[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

On 1/4/2024 at 5:40 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

All good points.  If we're eyeing JG, it would likely be a trade deadline acquisition since both Vancouver and Pittsburgh would need to see where they stand at the deadline. For all we know, Pittsburgh finds its groove and becomes a playoff calibre team. We've seen Edmonton do a 180 as of late and Pittsburgh definitely has the talent to do the same. 

My other thought is this.  Is it really another scoring forward that we need or would the Canucks be better off getting a #2A/#3 calibre defenseman?   I feel like we are still missing that calibre defenseman. Allow me to explain:

#1: Hughes

#2: Hronek

#3: ???

#4: Zadorov

#5 Cole/Soucy

#5A/6 Myers

#6A/7 Juulsen

In other words, I still think there is a significant drop off between Hronek and our 3rd best defenseman.........which could ultimately spell trouble if one of Hughes or Hronek goes down with injury.   Perhaps it would be better to take a calculated gamble on Kuzmenko getting out of his slump, while moving Myers and a draft pick for that #3 calibre guy.

I think we are better off keeping the Lotto line together and upgrading our 2C. Our D is looking pretty good and will change after the Myers contract expires. We also have D-Petey in (?) 2 years and Willander in 2-3 years. Kuz will be traded and a less expensive big winger would be a nice return, or try Bains or Podz first. As good as JG is, I don’t like giving up our 1st (and we have no 2nd round pick this year), Hogs or one of our primo prospects (Lekkermaki, Willander, etc.) for a rental we probably can’t keep. Too expensive and it still doesn’t guarantee a cup.

• Cheers 1

I find it kind of interesting how now that the Lotto line is back together the third line has gotten quiet… Before the Lotto reunion the third line was carrying the team for a stretch… Or so it seemed - imagine if the third line catches fire again we will completely demolish teams… and when things start to come together for the second… 

this team is on the cusp of being Elite if it’s not already… and all thanks to the management for all their amazing work assembling this squad and the coaches 

35 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Dang - I stand corrected - I guess i didn’t see that - I was watching the Canucks - 8 shots wow!!! Dude was on fire !!! 

Well, you and me both, lol. There goes our careers as analysts.

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2024 at 1:56 PM, aGENT said:

I'm a HUGE Crosby fan but I don't think either current Miller, or Pettersson, are far off current (or recent), late 30's Crosby.

Is he big? No. But he goes to dirty areas, plays the "right way" and is PPG in the playoffs. So yes, he can produce in the playoffs.

I'd like both personally. We could both use an upgrade on Kuzmenko (Guentzel), and another guy with some size that can play a 2 way/mucker role (maybe Podkolzin eventually...though I'd happily take a guy like Crouse).

Ok fair enough.  The deal is rumored to be a 1st ,kuzmenko and a top prospect.   I mean for that I'd rather go for Crosby himself.  Resigning JG at 30 doesn't seem smart.

2 hours ago, ronning4center said:

Ok fair enough.  The deal is rumored to be a 1st ,kuzmenko and a top prospect.   I mean for that I'd rather go for Crosby himself.  Resigning JG at 30 doesn't seem smart.

I'd love Guentzel, but not for that price when we could possibly sign him in the off-season. 

If I'm giving up Kuzmenko, 1st, and a top prospect, then I want a guy that is going to be with the team for a while little longer. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

In this theoretical scenario where we upgrade Kuzy to Guentzel, we simply can't afford to keep a $5m player on our 3rd line. Hoglander, still young and developing in to what Garland already is, can replace a lot of what he does, for $1.1m next year. Maybe even allowing us to retain Blueger and Joshua.

that's true. would suck to see Garland go, but I'm not sure if Höglander can do what Garland is currently doing. Garland stirs the drink. Can Höglander do the same?

3 hours ago, ronning4center said:

Resigning JG at 30 doesn't seem smart.

He's probably going to want the max number of term (8 years). Whatever he's making right now, he's going to make more of it during Free Agency. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

that's true. would suck to see Garland go, but I'm not sure if Höglander can do what Garland is currently doing. Garland stirs the drink. Can Höglander do the same?

Garland is probably moved in the off-season so we can help afford more of Joshua, Bleuger, Lafferty, Zadorov who all are getting raises. 

One can hope Hog is more capable next year to replace Garland. It would be of great value.

Not sure I would go after Guentzel but we'll need some sort of upgrade on Kuz, maybe a quality C if we want to keep the Lotto line intact and still have solid C depth. 

23 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Bluegger will likleybe back on a 3-4 yr contract around what he is getting now maybe with a raise like 2.2 - he's not a 3 million dollar player as of now, Joshua, could get 3 million, on a 5 year deal 

Lafftery is gonna get around 2 million 

Zads not looking like he will get >4 million, his 3.75 looks about right he might get term though like 4 yrs 

Cole might re sign at lower cap for 2 yrs 

The team is playing really well right now but forecasting resignings will likely come down to how players perform in playoffs and whether cheaper players are brought up from Abby. Abby's playoffs could influence PA's thinking as well. 

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd love Guentzel, but not for that price when we could possibly sign him in the off-season. 

If I'm giving up Kuzmenko, 1st, and a top prospect, then I want a guy that is going to be with the team for a while little longer. 

Stupid asking price considering what we gave up to get someone like Hronek.  I would argue a top pairing RHD is worth more than a good scoring winger.  Add to the fact that Hronek had another year on his cheap contract and that he still has RFA status and is still young makes it even more crazy.  No thanks.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Garland is probably moved in the off-season so we can help afford more of Joshua, Bleuger, Lafferty, Zadorov who all are getting raises. 

One can hope Hog is more capable next year to replace Garland. It would be of great value.

Not sure I would go after Guentzel but we'll need some sort of upgrade on Kuz, maybe a quality C if we want to keep the Lotto line intact and still have solid C depth. 

I would be very hesitant to resign Joshua to more money than he's currently making if Garland is gone. Garland is the real work horse on that 3rd line. He is doing most of the Board work and creating space for Joshua.

Not saying Joshua isn't doing better on his own, killing penalties etc. But without Garlands effort, that 3rd line has nowhere near the same offensive numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't think he can.  Garland is incredibly elusive.  It comes from his ability on his edges.  He does it as well as anybody.  Hoglander doesn't play in the corners the same way.

32 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I would be very hesitant to resign Joshua to more money than he's currently making if Garland is gone. Garland is the real work horse on that 3rd line. He is doing most of the Board work and creating space for Joshua.

Not saying Joshua isn't doing better on his own, killing penalties etc. But without Garlands effort, that 3rd line has nowhere near the same offensive numbers. 

Yup.  People just assume because Garland is small that he is ineffective along the boards, when in reality he is incredibly strong on the puck along the boards.  TBH, he is probably one of our best along the boards.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup.  People just assume because Garland is small that he is ineffective along the boards, when in reality he is incredibly strong on the puck along the boards.  TBH, he is probably one of our best along the boards.

Criminally underappreciated here Garland is  a stud

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guentzel would be a great addition, no doubt, but he would most likely end up

being a rental.  $6m for the playoffs then he's gone and which player(s) do we

lose to get him.

My preference is to acquire a younger (-26yrs player), that has the potential to become

a core player.  It's worth it to lose the 1st rounder + a prospect to get such a player.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

That's just it.  You dont think Edmonton or new jersey wouldn't want JG...this will be a bidding g war and if we aren't going to resign him...30 year old 40 goal scorer is gonna get 10 mill per...then maybe we pass.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Dakota is making 825K and is on pace for 40 points, leads our team in hits and is one of our PK forwards ice-time leaders. You're saying you wouldn't re-sign him for more than 825K?

Garland's cap hit could amount to us re-signing two of the aforementioned players. If you're fine potentially losing two of Bleuger/Lafferty/Joshua then you can keep Garland. 

Could potentially only have Garland on that 3rd line still here next year. 

16 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If that’s what we’re giving up we better be getting a legit impact player under 28 who has term at a decent price. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

He’s really found his place anchoring that third line. I liked him prior to this year but didn’t think he fit on the team (or would). I’m quite happy he’s found his niche. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Dakota is making 825K and is on pace for 40 points, leads our team in hits and is one of our PK forwards ice-time leaders. You're saying you wouldn't re-sign him for more than 825K?

Garland's cap hit could amount to us re-signing two of the aforementioned players. If you're fine potentially losing two of Bleuger/Lafferty/Joshua then you can keep Garland. 

Could potentially only have Garland on that 3rd line still here next year. 

The flip side is that Garland is clearly the play driver on that line...by far. Unlike the previous mgmt group, this mgmt group can't over spend on the bottom five forwards. Love DJ but if he is looking to get overpaid for one career year, then mgmt needs to make the tough choice and let him go. Let Garland stir the drink with two more players on the third line.

I am hopeful they can resign DJ and Lafferty. Prospects will need to step up as well. I feel like Blueger will be out of their price range but who knows.

Just now, NoCupSyndrome said:

The flip side is that Garland is clearly the play driver on that line...by far. Unlike the previous mgmt group, this mgmt group can't over spend on the bottom five forwards. Love DJ but if he is looking to get overpaid for one career year, then mgmt needs to make the tough choice and let him go. Let Garland stir the drink with two more players on the third line.

I am hopeful they can resign DJ and Lafferty. Prospects will need to step up as well. I feel like Blueger will be out of their price range but who knows.

We won't have the cap to retain all and will look like a different team. As it stands we'll have 30.8M in cap.

OEL's 4.8M buyout cap hit is also looming in 2025. 

Hronek and Petey will likely take up to 2/3rd of our cap space we have for next off-season

Consider you have to re-sign/replace Myers, Cole, Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov, DeSmith... with like 10-11ish M.

They have to make significant cap savings otherwise we are gonna take a massive step back. 

They move Kuz and Garland they can retain everyone we want to keep and find an upgrade replacement on the top 6 FWD group or top 4 D-core.  Gonna need someone in the top 6 especially to replace Kuz. 

Youngsters will have to step up to replace Garland on the 3rd line. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Criminally underappreciated here Garland is  a stud

But isn’t the problem here that we can get the same player for around 3 mill? 

If we compare it to the discussion if Petey should get 12,5 or 10 Garlands cap is way above that in percentage.

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Consider you have to re-sign/replace Myers, Cole, 

Assuming we extend Zadorov, he replaces Cole next year. Myers needs to be replaced by trade/UFA by someone like Tanev, Larsson, Zub etc

Hughes, Tanev

Zadorov, Hronek

Soucy, ~$1m vet/ELC kid

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They move Kuz and Garland they can retain everyone we want to keep and find an upgrade replacement on the top 6 FWD group or top 4 D-core.  Gonna need someone in the top 6 especially to replace Kuz. 

Youngsters will have to step up to replace Garland on the 3rd line. 

Agree with that.

• Like 1