[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Assuming we extend Zadorov, he replaces Cole next year. Myers needs to be replaced by trade/UFA by someone like Tanev, Larsson, Zub etc

Hughes, Tanev

Zadorov, Hronek

Soucy, ~$1m vet/ELC kid

I prefer Zadorov on the 3D pair to give us a solid pair, next year though I could see that. Rather have Zads with Tanev for familiarity and makes a more defensive pair. Hronek's been good with Hughes and IDK how I see him fair with someone who plays a bit more chaotic/risky like Zads whereas Tanev would help balance that out. 

Long-term I would use the 2nd pair to have a solid vet LD to help groom a guy like Willander. Might be 2-3 years away from that though. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Guentzel is a good skill guy, but is the problem we don’t have enough skill and goal scoring?

I would say what we need more of is a guy or two to make space for our skill guys so they can flourish.  

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Guentzel is a good skill guy, but is the problem we don’t have enough skill and goal scoring?

I would say what we need more of is a guy or two to make space for our skill guys so they can flourish.  

ARZ is gonna drop in standings and then Crouse might be available for a high price 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

ARZ is gonna drop in standings and then Crouse might be available for a high price 

That is definitely a hope!

There are definitely a few targets from non playoff teams, it is just how much does the brass want to go for it.  My feeling is they will be all in.

The way we are playing and how no one else in the conference is a monster this year gives a legitimate path to go deep.  That might not come again soon.  A lot of these bottom six guys are playing themselves into raises which will likely happen on other teams.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, ronning4center said:

That's just it.  You dont think Edmonton or new jersey wouldn't want JG...this will be a bidding g war and if we aren't going to resign him...30 year old 40 goal scorer is gonna get 10 mill per...then maybe we pass.

Then we should pass. 

On 1/12/2024 at 1:13 PM, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I find it kind of interesting how now that the Lotto line is back together the third line has gotten quiet… Before the Lotto reunion the third line was carrying the team for a stretch… Or so it seemed - imagine if the third line catches fire again we will completely demolish teams… and when things start to come together for the second… 

this team is on the cusp of being Elite if it’s not already… and all thanks to the management for all their amazing work assembling this squad and the coaches 

It's funny, because current management hasn't actually acquired "elite" players, they were all here when they arrived. But what Allvin and Rutherford did do, was actually assemble a team. They hired Tocchet. They acquired Hronek (he's not elite, but very good player). Traded away a player that most fans wanted to keep (I think? It was pretty split if I recall). They tried to trade Garland, but then decided to keep him. Signed Joshua, Blueger, Suter as depth pieces. This team has come together, but it's not because management has acquired elite pieces. The core was already here when Allvin and Rutherford got here. They just needed to surround the core with the right players. And they've done that

Could the result be a championship at season's end? OMG. If that were to come true, this summer is going to rock

Next season, however, might be a tough season. 

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We won't have the cap to retain all and will look like a different team. As it stands we'll have 30.8M in cap.

OEL's 4.8M buyout cap hit is also looming in 2025. 

Hronek and Petey will likely take up to 2/3rd of our cap space we have for next off-season

Consider you have to re-sign/replace Myers, Cole, Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov, DeSmith... with like 10-11ish M.

They have to make significant cap savings otherwise we are gonna take a massive step back. 

They move Kuz and Garland they can retain everyone we want to keep and find an upgrade replacement on the top 6 FWD group or top 4 D-core.  Gonna need someone in the top 6 especially to replace Kuz. 

Youngsters will have to step up to replace Garland on the 3rd line. 

I agree with Kuz (he hasn't been able to replicate last year so far) but removing Garland only to over spend on the pieces he has made look good does not sound like this mgmt group. Suter, DJ, Blueger have all looked their best beside Garland. 

Toc loves Garland and Mgmt/coaches are trying to implement a structured system that support pieces can be moved in and out of.

Top tier

EP, Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Hronek

Tier 2

Garland, Soucy, Mik

Tier 3

Hoglander, Juulsen, Aman, Suter

In terms of the starting lineup for next year, and assuming Kuz is moved, the Canucks need a 2C and top six winger (or two top six wingers if EP plays center). They also need two bottom six wingers and two D. Hopefully they can keep Desmith.

I expect mgmt will elect to keep the play drivers and attempt to replace the support pieces (unless the current support pieces who are UFAs agree to reasonable deals). They likely spend on the 2C and one dman and then look for the next DJ and/or promote from within.

I could see Zad and Cole coming back and Mgmt getting creative up front.

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

5 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I agree with Kuz (he hasn't been able to replicate last year so far) but removing Garland only to over spend on the pieces he has made look good does not sound like this mgmt group. Suter, DJ, Blueger have all looked their best beside Garland. 

Toc loves Garland and Mgmt/coaches are trying to implement a structured system that support pieces can be moved in and out of.

Top tier

Tier 2

Garland, Soucy, Mik

Tier 3

In terms of the starting lineup for next year, and assuming Kuz is moved, the Canucks need a 2C and top six winger (or two top six wingers if EP plays center). They also need two bottom six wingers and two D. Hopefully they can keep Desmith.

I expect mgmt will elect to keep the play drivers and attempt to replace the support pieces (unless the current support pieces who are UFAs agree to reasonable deals). They likely spend on the 2C and one dman and then look for the next DJ and/or promote from within.

They look good without Garland too. Especially on the PK.  I also wouldn’t put much flak on it since they all face lesser competition. 

5M for a bottom 6 forward is not ideal for a cap crunched team. We don’t have the luxury of having that on our team while maintaining a playoff roster.

We have to make cap cuts. He is a prime candidate. Otherwise our roster will regress closer to that which we’ve have in years past. 

In other terms. There’s not really much choice. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They look good without Garland too. Especially on the PK.  I also wouldn’t put much flak on it since they all face lesser competition. 

5M for a bottom 6 forward is not ideal for a cap crunched team. We don’t have the luxury of having that on our team while maintaining a playoff roster.

We have to make cap cuts. He is a prime candidate. Otherwise our roster will regress closer to that which we’ve have in years past. 

Exactly.

This sentiment that you "don't like" Garland because you can see we need to trade him to use that cap more efficiently...🤦‍♂️

Especially, when we have Hoglander at $1.1m, already on the roster next year. Is he as good/developed as Garland is now? Of course not. But he's not that far off either, and he is still developing. While saving $3.8m of cap to use elsewhere. 

On 1/14/2024 at 2:23 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I definitely agree in general but if they can find a young, ELC type piece for the second line, allocating the second line funds to a player who drives a third line (making the team deeper) could make sense (especially if guys like DJ are looking to cash in on a career year). Likely comes down to how confident they are in the Abby Canucks top players.

Or everything could change if EP just takes the one year QO haha

Agree with not moving Myers. RT, Foote and Gonchar did the impossible with him. We need him. 

Agree with Hogs to a point. He is a 4th liner that is overproducing. Teams will prefer that over prospects and picks that are in the minors. If it comes down to it, trade him.

Disagree with Guentzel being brought in as a second line winger. Our priority is centre. 

Glad to hear they have the door closed in moving Willander and JL. Those 2 are a huge part of our future.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Big Rumour this morning. The same Unnamed source that broke the woodcroft firing days before it happened and before Friedman or Seravelli would confirm it was going to happen has said the Canucks and Pittsburgh have a deal in place. 
 They said it’s for after the allstar break but prior to the deadline(obviously)  and it will be Kuzmenko + 4th or 5th rd pick for Guentzel.  It will be strictly a rental and we’re getting away with not trading a high pick by giving them an extra year of Kuzmenko. It also gives us cap room for next year to re-sign Hronek and Petey, while making a strong cup run this year. 

I’d also like to see us acquire another Center for a run, but apparently the Canucks only have the 1 deal in the works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/13/2024 at 8:20 PM, canucks curse said:

He was already available for a high price and they had no bites so they signed him long term.

Not a player Vancouver should be moving a 1st or like assets for.

6 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Big Rumour this morning. The same Unnamed source that broke the woodcroft firing days before it happened and before Friedman or Seravelli would confirm it was going to happen has said the Canucks and Pittsburgh have a deal in place. 
 They said it’s for after the allstar break but prior to the deadline(obviously)  and it will be Kuzmenko + 4th or 5th rd pick for Guentzel.  It will be strictly a rental and we’re getting away with not trading a high pick by giving them an extra year of Kuzmenko. It also gives us cap room for next year to re-sign Hronek and Petey, while making a strong cup run this year. 

I’d also like to see us acquire another Center for a run, but apparently the Canucks only have the 1 deal in the works. 

If that is the rumour I don't like it. 

On 1/14/2024 at 8:36 AM, NoCupSyndrome said:

Top tier

Tier 2

Garland, Soucy, Mik

Tier 3

I don't think Zadorov returns. He is not playing a big enough role and we all hear how horrible Myers is because of his contract/role.

You won't get Zadorov under 4m on the open market and other clubs would sell him on 2nd pairing minutes.

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

If that is the rumour I don't like it. 

I don’t like it either as I like Kuzmenko. But  the way I look at it is if we have to lose Kuzmenko to get Guentzel and Guentzel is the difference maker that gets us our first Cup, I’m all for it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Well thats not much of a resume. Pretty sure everyone knew Woodcroft was getting fired long before it was even a story.

10 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Not my top choice but it is fine and an upgrade and not too heavy a cost.  The current roster will get a boost that management is bringing in reinforcements.  It also gives some breathing room under the cap in the offseason.

Having our top picks still also means we could swing a later deal near the deadline if we wanted for a centre.  Having Petey as both centres/wingers leaves lots of options.

If we have a smaller move it could be bringing in someone like Greenway for a little more bite as a complementary top six guy who can move up and down the lineup.

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I don’t like it either as I like Kuzmenko. But  the way I look at it is if we have to lose Kuzmenko to get Guentzel and Guentzel is the difference maker that gets us our first Cup, I’m all for it. 

Agreed. Guentzel is a much better, more rounded, more proven player. Kuz is obviously slumping, and everyone would be over the moon if he was putting up Guentzel numbers (19g-27a-46pts). 

Guentzel would make them better. 

I like Kuzmenko, he would be fun to hang out with, but watching him play this season is a bit painful to watch. The beaver-slap with the stick, inability to backcheck, avoiding physical contact like he's a germaphobe. He's also pretty slow with the way he skates. Playoffs is about speed and physicality. If Kuzy isn't putting the puck in the net (which he is not), then he's not really helping.

Edited by Nucker67
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Guentzel would make them better. 

I like Kuzmenko, he would be fun to hang out with, but watching him play this season is a bit painful to watch. The beaver-slap with the stick, inability to backcheck, avoiding physical contact like he's a germaphobe. He's also pretty slow with the way he skates. Playoffs is about speed and physicality. If Kuzy isn't putting the puck in the net (which he is not), then he's not really helping.

We need to get the PP going.

Kuzy isn’t getting it done there. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I don't think Zadorov returns. He is not playing a big enough role and we all hear how horrible Myers is because of his contract/role.

You won't get Zadorov under 4m on the open market and other clubs would sell him on 2nd pairing minutes.

I have a feeling they role back next year with:

QH Hronek

Soucy Myers

Cole Juulsen

Mgmt and Toc really seem to like Myers - they have put a lot of time and energy into turning his game around and he is probably the most likely UFA to take a home town discount.

I don't think they can afford to have Soucy and Z on the team (even though Z does offer a good physical aspect the team has lacked on the back end for quite some time)