[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am afraid your numbers for Petterson and Hronek are underestimated by a lot.

Petterson is north of Nylander.  Probably in the $12-13 million range.

We signed Myers years ago for $6 million and there were questions if he was actually a top 4 guy.  Assume Hronek to be $7.5-8 million is a safer range if you are trying to fit guys under the cap.

All our depth guys up for extensions have bought themselves raises too.

If Petey stays in the 11s and Hronek in the 7s I consider that good. If they are closer to 11M and 7M than 12M and 8M I consider that pretty good. It's a hope at this point. 

Canucks have 30.8M in cap next off-season. I expect Petey/Hronek to take around 2/3rds of that. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kuz moved this year and Garland moved in the off-season as we need to replace/re-sign bunch more expiring players. 

The off-season will be huge. JR/PA have some tough waters to navigate through in order to prevent the roster from taking a major step back.

• Like 1

I read (THN) that Dumbass is asking a lot for Guentzel - a roster player (Kuzmenko), a top prospect (Lekkerimaki or Willander) and a 1st - Craziness

If Guentzel is just too expensive, who does Allvin target next on his list?  It would be we wild if, out of nowhere, he somehow plucked Necas out of Carolina.

I'm not sure if Necas is even playing C for the Canes, and is in their bottom 6.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Necas - Mikheyev

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Petey stays in the 11s and Hronek in the 7s I consider that good. If they are closer to 11M and 7M than 12M and 8M I consider that pretty good. It's a hope at this point. 

Canucks have 30.8M in cap next off-season. I expect Petey/Hronek to take around 2/3rds of that. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kuz moved this year and Garland moved in the off-season as we need to replace/re-sign bunch more expiring players. 

The off-season will be huge. JR/PA have some tough waters to navigate through in order to prevent the roster from taking a major step back.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if they can find some more home runs for the bottom six.  All those guys will have earned themselves a bigger paycheque along with some term and will have priced themselves out of Vancouver. 

7 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Big Rumour this morning. The same Unnamed source that broke the woodcroft firing days before it happened and before Friedman or Seravelli would confirm it was going to happen has said the Canucks and Pittsburgh have a deal in place. 
 They said it’s for after the allstar break but prior to the deadline(obviously)  and it will be Kuzmenko + 4th or 5th rd pick for Guentzel.  It will be strictly a rental and we’re getting away with not trading a high pick by giving them an extra year of Kuzmenko. It also gives us cap room for next year to re-sign Hronek and Petey, while making a strong cup run this year. 

I’d also like to see us acquire another Center for a run, but apparently the Canucks only have the 1 deal in the works. 

I highly doubt this is the case. Imagine if we had traded Horvat for an equivalent package. Allvin's head would be on a pike.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We actually have $35 million in cap space next season. You need to add back the LTIR money on CapFriendly. 

12 players signed with $35 million in cap space. Petey and Hronek take up $19.5 million of that. So that leaves $15.5 million to sign 9 guys. 

Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov, Myers, Cole, DeSmith are all UFA’s. We probably need $18-19 million to sign them all. Plus we bring in Podkolzin and another cheap Dman for the 8 spot. So that’s another close to $2 million. So $20-21 million total to bring back everyone. 

That leaves us around $5 million short.  Which is pretty much exactly the Kuzmenko contract. Which is why I don’t believe he will be back next season. We will use his cap hit to help sign the UFA’s. I’m hoping Lekkerimäki can take his spot in the lineup next season on a cheap ELC contract. 

Mikheyev   Miller          Boeser

Höglander Pettersson Lekkerimäki

Joshua      Blueger       Garland

Podkolzin  Suter           Lafferty 

Aman 

Hughes    Hronek 

Zadorov   Myers 

Soucy      Juulsen 

Cole         McWard 

Demko   DeSmith 

Without Kuzmenko that would be our lineup. It should fit under the cap. 

The key is that all Swedish line. Maybe Petey will enjoy playing with the Swedish players more than with the Russian players and he will have more chemistry with them. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Its clear from JRs comments last couple of days the Canucks plan on attempting to add if they can.

If think they should go after a C signed long term over a UFA like Guentzel. The price will be high for either player.  Better get one we can use this playoffs and next years playoffs.  Need multiple attempts at the Cup and hope to break through. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

I highly doubt this is the case. Imagine if we had traded Horvat for an equivalent package. Allvin's head would be on a pike.

Horvat wasn't a rental and was 27.  JG Is gonna be 31 next year and no competing team is signing him for the 10 million dollars aav he's gonna get on the free agent market.  They either resign him (most likely) lose him for nothing or try and get something. Also Kuzy just scored 39 goals.  He's no Anthony beauvillier.

Edited by ronning4center

1 hour ago, ronning4center said:

Horvat wasn't a rental and was 27.  JG Is gonna be 31 next year and no competing team is signing him for the 10 million dollars aav he's gonna get on the free agent market.  They either resign him (most likely) lose him for nothing or try and get something. Also Kuzy just scored 39 goals.  He's no Anthony beauvillier.

Bo was on an expiring contract when he was moved and JG has historically been a more productive player than Bo. The return for JG will most likely be roundabouts what we got for Bo. 

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Bo was on an expiring contract when he was moved and JG has historically been a more productive player than Bo. The return for JG will most likely be roundabouts what we got for Bo. 

Bo wasn’t a rental, was significantly younger and is a centre. While the price may not be astronomically different, there are definitely significant differences. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

He’s a product of pkaying with Sid. JR and Allvin know this. They will not want that kind of player. 

You sure about that? Yet another Pittsburgh Penguin to go with the other half dozen they already have

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

The Islanders signed BO to an 8 year extension as soon as they traded for him. So he wasn’t a rental for them. At the time he signed he was on pace for over 50 goals. 

Guentzel will be a pure rental to anyone who trades for him. Also, he’s a winger not a centre. So I don’t see him getting the same return as BO. 

Kuzmenko and a 2nd is actually fair value. Vancouver fans are most likely undervaluing Kuzmenko compared to the rest of the league. Not every coach is like Tocchet. Given free rein to do his thing Kuzmenko can become a 30+ goal scorer again. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Islanders signed BO to an 8 year extension as soon as they traded for him. So he wasn’t a rental for them. At the time he signed he was on pace for over 50 goals. 

Guentzel will be a pure rental to anyone who trades for him. Also, he’s a winger not a centre. So I don’t see him getting the same return as BO. 

Kuzmenko and a 2nd is actually fair value. Vancouver fans are most likely undervaluing Kuzmenko compared to the rest of the league. Not every coach is like Tocchet. Given free rein to do his thing Kuzmenko can become a 30+ goal scorer again. 

Yes, I think the rest of the league knows what he is capable of, and will pay accordingly if they want him.

I agree in Kuz and a 2nd is fair value.

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

JR/PA have some tough waters to navigate through in order to prevent the roster from taking a major step back.

I wonder if this is the reason for why Petey hasn't signed yet. Does he think that the roster is going to be worse next season, so he wants to wait and see what Allvin and Rutherford will do here? Because it's not about money, and it doesn't seem like it's about the winning (as of right now). So what else could it be? 

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We actually have $35 million in cap space next season. You need to add back the LTIR money on CapFriendly. 

12 players signed with $35 million in cap space. Petey and Hronek take up $19.5 million of that. So that leaves $15.5 million to sign 9 guys. 

Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov, Myers, Cole, DeSmith are all UFA’s. We probably need $18-19 million to sign them all. Plus we bring in Podkolzin and another cheap Dman for the 8 spot. So that’s another close to $2 million. So $20-21 million total to bring back everyone. 

That leaves us around $5 million short.  Which is pretty much exactly the Kuzmenko contract. Which is why I don’t believe he will be back next season. We will use his cap hit to help sign the UFA’s. I’m hoping Lekkerimäki can take his spot in the lineup next season on a cheap ELC contract. 

Mikheyev   Miller          Boeser

Höglander Pettersson Lekkerimäki

Joshua      Blueger       Garland

Podkolzin  Suter           Lafferty 

Aman 

Hughes    Hronek 

Zadorov   Myers 

Soucy      Juulsen 

Cole         McWard 

Demko   DeSmith 

Without Kuzmenko that would be our lineup. It should fit under the cap. 

The key is that all Swedish line. Maybe Petey will enjoy playing with the Swedish players more than with the Russian players and he will have more chemistry with them. 

They will move garland and prob add sweetners like 1-2 B prospects although given how well he has played I could see a team pick him up from us without much sweetner

they are targeting guys like Crouse/ EK that are cost controlled with lower cap hit 

also in response to price for Guentzel 

dubas can ask whatever he wants but the reality is no one is gonna send him a top line forward + an A+ prospect + a 1st 

kuzy+ a B prospect should get it done

no one else is going to be offering a youngish 40 goal scorer 

per Dhali JR and KD we’re ready to do Kuzy+ Hogz for JG and late pick 

kD stalled, hogz started to play better now Hogz is off table 

I think the hold up now is Canucks are targeting players that are an even better fit than JG, like Crouse or EK or maybe Lindholm in CGY

canucks really want EK and are waiting to see how bad ARZ and MIN fall, the more they fall the more they will give up these players for futures 

Edited by canucks curse
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And Pittsburg knows they have the “Crosby effect” he can play with so many guys. He can make Kuz look good again no problem.

They just need a guy with skill to play on his wing. Kuz fits that cost controlled bill nicely. 

This trade works nicely for both teams and minimally disrupts our lineup.

• Cheers 1

I don’t think Pittsburgh trades him. They’re in the hunt for a wildcard spot and only 1 point out right now. I think as long as they have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Karlson then they will keep going for it. Crosby is only signed for 1 more year after this one but Malkin/Letang are signed for longer so I can see him re-signing with Pittsburgh for couple more years. They’ll need players to play with those guys.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2824920

Dubois: Guentzel trade talk is ‘pure speculation’

Kyle Dubas insists there's nothing legitimate about the notion that he might trade Jake Guentzel.

The Pittsburgh Penguins president of hockey operations and general manager denied exploring that possibility and clarified recent remarks made by Guentzel's agent that may have inadvertently raised some eyebrows.

"I don't think that Ben Hankinson with his comments a few weeks ago meant for it to kind of develop into the level of noise it's gotten to," Dubas said Wednesday on "The GM Show," a team-produced podcast. "Just in knowing Ben and how much he cares about his clients, and about Jake and my relationship with him, I don't think that was his intention whatsoever.

"I think a lot of people have tried to say that when he said 'it could get ugly,' that was about the contract. I don't think so. I think he was more talking about ... the team and where it's going to go in the next several seasons. So I didn't take it as offensive or as anything other than Ben trying to do right by his client."

Dubas then stated he hasn't talked to other clubs about Guentzel's potential availability.

"We haven't had any conversations with any other teams about Jake, so anything that's out there is pure speculation," the executive said. "That's really as simple as that. We'll continue to go through the season here and I'll continue to evaluate where we're at, and then either at the All-Star break or after the season, we'll do what's best for everybody - best for the Penguins, best for Jake - and we'll determine that together."

Guentzel is a pending unrestricted free agent who will be one of the most coveted players if he does hit the market. His current deal carries a cap hit of $6 million, and the Penguins have about $65 million committed to other players next season, with only Jeff Carter, Alex Nedeljkovic, and other role players left to sign aside from Guentzel, according to CapFriendly.

The 29-year-old forward has 19 goals and 27 assists over 42 games in 2023-24. He's in his eighth campaign with the Pens, who drafted him 77th overall in 2013. The Nebraska-born winger has shown continued chemistry with Sidney Crosby over the years, burying at least 36 goals in three of those seasons, including 40 on two occasions.

The Penguins have an aging core, but a playoff spot is still a realistic goal for a squad that entered Thursday sitting fourth in the Metropolitan Division at 21-15-6.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I wonder if this is the reason for why Petey hasn't signed yet. Does he think that the roster is going to be worse next season, so he wants to wait and see what Allvin and Rutherford will do here? Because it's not about money, and it doesn't seem like it's about the winning (as of right now). So what else could it be? 

It could be a factor among many. I do think money is probably what his agent is touting. It would be his first mega deal. 

It seems like each off-season has progressively gotten more and more important. This off-season may be the biggest of them all though. 

I hope JR/PA manage through it. I have faith. We may see some sacrifices. Hopefully some youngsters step up from the AHL as we have a few on the cusp who could be able to step into a bottom 6 role. Cheaper contracts/players would be of great value especially when OEL takes up 4.76M in a couple years for 2 seasons. 

• Cheers 1

Are the Canucks still targeting Guentzel?  How would adding Guentzel improve the 2nd line with Suter still as the C? Do they plan on splitting up the Lotto Line? Or maybe targeting a #2C as well?  JR said some nice things about the Canucks this season, but says they aren't there yet. I'm hoping for some good trades. 

If they're really going to go for it this year: 

To PIT - Mikheyev, 1st (2024), Alriksson

To VAN - Guentzel (10%) - only if Guentzel re-signs with VAN

To NSH - Kuzmenko, 2nd (2025), Brzustewicz

to VAN - O'Reilly

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - O'Reilly - Guentzel

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Aman - Suter - Lafferty

Podkolzin

2 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Let’s go for B.tkachuk

That’d be swinging for the fences all right… don’t know where we’re finding the 8 mil from (maybe a combination of kuz and Myers) let alone the assets to pry him loose though.