[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

On 1/28/2024 at 11:11 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Really like Guentzal but I hope this isn’t the direction they go to spend their trade chips. We’re fine on winger depth but we could use another center or a RHD would be nice.

If they get a good 4th line center who's good at faceoffs, they could try bumping Hogs up to see how he does instead of Mikheyev or Suter.  It would be the cheaper route and I think Hogs will get there at some point anyway.  Having puck possession more often will be the key though and our fourth line FO% is weak.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

If they get a good 4th line center who's good at faceoffs, they could try bumping Hogs up to see how he does instead of Mikheyev or Suter.  It would be the cheaper route and I think Hogs will get there at some point anyway.  Having puck possession more often will be the key though and our fourth line FO% is weak.

Definitely get on board with a decent 4th line center addition. That should only cost like a 4th or 5th round pick. We just can’t afford another huge top 6 addition especially a winger at that.

• Cheers 1

With Bleugs being due for a raise after this season, why not go after Bjugstad for 4C or even a winger who can move from 1-4 as needed since he has one more year at a reasonable cap hit (2.85). I bet we could get him for something like Hirose and a 3rd or 4th or straight up for Miky. He is the type of big C you need in the POs who can also PK and a Minnesota boy who is very close to Brock.  

Guentzel cap hit will 1.2 million by the trade deadline while Canucks will have 1.8 million in cap space. 

I think he's the primary target for Canucks to go all-in and if they do acquire him, will be the piece that pushes them to Cup contender. 

Guentzel-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev-Pettersson-Lindholm
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

That is a ridiculously deep line-up that can match up with any other contender. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Guentzel may not be going anywhere, this could throw a wrench into things if the Pens were considering moving him 

Although it's not a long-term health issue 

It certainly hurts their playoff hopes, which may actually make a trade more likely 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Guentzel may not be going anywhere, this could throw a wrench into things if the Pens were considering moving him 

you don't have to worry about your asset getting hurt if he already is. 

can't imagine it'll hurt demand too much if he's expected back in mid-march. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

you don't have to worry about your asset getting hurt if he already is. 

can't imagine it'll hurt demand too much if he's expected back in mid-march. 

You're not wrong, it just means he's less useful to teams who may be seeking more immediate help 

A team who's more established higher up in the standings probably doesn't worry about it 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/8/2024 at 10:14 AM, Bane said:

Guentzel cap hit will 1.2 million by the trade deadline while Canucks will have 1.8 million in cap space. 

I think he's the primary target for Canucks to go all-in and if they do acquire him, will be the piece that pushes them to Cup contender. 

Guentzel-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev-Pettersson-Lindholm
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

That is a ridiculously deep line-up that can match up with any other contender. 

what would it cost to acquire Guentzel, though? It's going to be costly, no? 

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It certainly hurts their playoff hopes, which may actually make a trade more likely 

I wonder if this lessens the asking price for an injured player? 

Damaged goods? 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I know it's Pagnotta but we're apparently still in on Guentzel with a couple of other teams

IMG_7386.png

the canucks would love to get their hands on mcdavid and makar, too, but it doesn't mean they're in on them. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2852626/report-golden-knights-canucks-among-several-teams-eyeing-guentzel

A deep group of playoff contenders have Pittsburgh Penguins star Jake Guentzel on their radars leading up to the trade deadline.

The Vegas Golden Knights, Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, Carolina Hurricanes, and Florida Panthers are among the teams that have expressed interest in the pending unrestricted free agent, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Guentzel would be arguably the biggest name available for this year's trade season, but the Penguins haven't made it clear if he's on the block.

General manager Kyle Dubas is reportedly listening to trade offers for all non-core players as Pittsburgh fights for a playoff spot. The club is nine points back of both a wild-card and divisional seed with 28 games remaining.

Dubas shut down rumors involving Guentzel in January, saying all trade talk was "pure speculation."

Guentzel was sidelined for up to four weeks on Feb. 15 with an upper-body injury, halting a terrific season in which he's racked up 52 points in 50 games on Pittsburgh's top line.

The 29-year-old is a two-time 40-goal scorer and has 58 points in 58 career playoff contests to go with a Stanley Cup in 2017.

He currently carries a $6-million cap hit and is expected to land a notable raise on his next deal.

The trade deadline is March 8.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2852626/report-golden-knights-canucks-among-several-teams-eyeing-guentzel

A deep group of playoff contenders have Pittsburgh Penguins star Jake Guentzel on their radars leading up to the trade deadline.

The Vegas Golden Knights, Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, Carolina Hurricanes, and Florida Panthers are among the teams that have expressed interest in the pending unrestricted free agent, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Guentzel would be arguably the biggest name available for this year's trade season, but the Penguins haven't made it clear if he's on the block.

General manager Kyle Dubas is reportedly listening to trade offers for all non-core players as Pittsburgh fights for a playoff spot. The club is nine points back of both a wild-card and divisional seed with 28 games remaining.

Dubas shut down rumors involving Guentzel in January, saying all trade talk was "pure speculation."

Guentzel was sidelined for up to four weeks on Feb. 15 with an upper-body injury, halting a terrific season in which he's racked up 52 points in 50 games on Pittsburgh's top line.

The 29-year-old is a two-time 40-goal scorer and has 58 points in 58 career playoff contests to go with a Stanley Cup in 2017.

He currently carries a $6-million cap hit and is expected to land a notable raise on his next deal.

The trade deadline is March 8.

He's gonna end up in Vegas cuz they've thrown their big cap hits onto LTIR to make it work.  Expect Guentzel and a higher tier defenceman to end up in Vegas.  Absolutely ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He's gonna end up in Vegas cuz they've thrown their big cap hits onto LTIR to make it work.  Expect Guentzel and a higher tier defenceman to end up in Vegas.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Probs, I don't see us being willing to pay for him either whereas Vegas probably does to try and repeat

Which is fine, I'm not interested in us giving up more top tier assets

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probs, I don't see us being willing to pay for him either whereas Vegas probably does to try and repeat

Which is fine, I'm not interested in us giving up more top tier assets

Which is usually the difference between the cup and maybe the second round. 
 And after the last 10 seasons of no playoffs, I’m okay with making it to the second round this year. 

17 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

And after the last 10 seasons of no playoffs, I’m okay with making it to the second round this year. 

Cinderella runs are rare anyway, I'm not interested in going "all-in"

Let em run with what they have, maybe make some depth additions, and just get some playoff experience 

Just making the playoffs makes the season a success given how frequently we've missed, maybe over the next season or two I'll up my expectations if they show they can be a playoff regular 

29 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Vegas can't top us in prospects we can offer tho. They do have just over 6 mil in LTIR for sure, but who are they going to offer to Dubie to make it work?

We could probably wake Dubas up with 2/3 of Podz, Ratu and Hog's. I'd want an extension in place first. 

I’m not necessarily confident that Guentzel will be the same player playing in a different system without Crosby.

I hope we aren’t targeting him and instead pick up another 4/5 Dman and a depth F that maybe can play utility and is solid two way. 

if we do go all in, and EP ends up wanting to walk through to RFA/UFA and is eventually traded, we will need the cap space that an extended Guentzel will take up to be allocated to finding younger replacement players than him. This is why I think mgmt is covering the bases quite well. 
We are taking our shot while also establishing a potentially large cap space safety net for any roster turnover that might come after our short term window expires and should our 2 high end RFAs price themselves out of range. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 6:48 PM, Coconuts said:

You're not wrong, it just means he's less useful to teams who may be seeking more immediate help 

A team who's more established higher up in the standings probably doesn't worry about it 

That's why Nux is doing the Kessel thing.  They have time for him to get assessed by TDL to decide if they want him as a depth forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I'd be happy with getting to the 2nd round. As for Dubas not being clear if Guentzel is on the block or not, either shit or get off the pot.

On 2/8/2024 at 7:54 AM, Odjickwillkillyou said:

With Bleugs being due for a raise after this season, why not go after Bjugstad for 4C or even a winger who can move from 1-4 as needed since he has one more year at a reasonable cap hit (2.85). I bet we could get him for something like Hirose and a 3rd or 4th or straight up for Miky. He is the type of big C you need in the POs who can also PK and a Minnesota boy who is very close to Brock.  

Because Blueger is better and should be a focus of one of the UFAs the Canucks bring back.