[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

20 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

That’s about what they’re going to get for him, save maybe a sexier prospect. 

Can’t see us making this move, but we’ll be in on a depth forward with some size or a depth D man.  Or somehow both given the magic Allvin and JR have pulled off this season. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Foegele is the kind of player Edmonton needs more of, not less of. Gritty bottom six forward who is responsible defensively and is capable of providing secondary offense. Value-wise it's probably about right for Guentzel I just don't think it would be the right direction for Edmonton to go. If Edmonton is willing to trade all of those assets they're likely better off looking for another deal like the one they made to acquire Ekholm.

41 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep the best part there is a 20ish pick in a mediocre draft.

Guentzel should return a 1st and either a top prospect or a combination of pick, player, lesser prospect

If they retain 50% they should be able to get a solid return without taking cap they don't want back

Pittsburgh knows they need to get younger and will probably lean more towards high picks, blue chip prospects, or high ceiling young NHL'ers

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Guentzel should return a 1st and either a top prospect or a combination of pick, player, lesser prospect

If they retain 50% they should be able to get a solid return without taking cap they don't want back

Pittsburgh knows they need to get younger and will probably lean more towards high picks, blue chip prospects, or high ceiling young NHL'ers

I think that they would want young roster players or prospects ready to make the jump next year, over picks. I'm sure eg hogs and Lekkerimaki would be the ask from us.

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think that they would want young roster players or prospects ready to make the jump next year, over picks. I'm sure eg hogs and Lekkerimaki would be the ask from us.

Probs, picks take longer 

Could see them wanting a 1st and a blue chip guy though, they should be looking for quality over quantity

Edited by Coconuts

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probs, picks take longer 

Could see them wanting a 1st and a blue chip guy though, they should be looking for quality over quantity

I guess they could flip the pick? They need skilled bodies now.

I don't want us to burn Lekkerimaki tho.

• Upvote 1

Does anybody else sense a bit of a reverse Horvat-Hronek swap possibility here?

If we somehow land Guentzel, capwise, keeping both Guentzel and Petterson is insane (not to mention Lindholm). So if that's not possible, then is recouping the costs we pay to get G by selling Petey in the offseason the longterm plan?

Would we get more for a team controlled Petey in the off-season than we would pay for a deadline G?

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess they could flip the pick? They need skilled bodies now.

I don't want us to burn Lekkerimaki tho.

They do need skilled bodies now, but they also need skilled prospects period and the draft is the best place to get em

I don't necessarily view a Guentzel trade about helping the Crosby era Pens though, management needs to look beyond him, Letang, and Malkin

And me either

If we make a move for guentzel I would suggest that’s writing on the wall for ep40, move assets to bring in Lindholm and guentzel then flip petey in the summer for asset recovery and then sign Lindholm guentzel with the money that was going to be used on Kuzmenko and pettersson…..this management is far beyond anything we’ve seen don’t count any wild moves like that out 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They do need skilled bodies now, but they also need skilled prospects period and the draft is the best place to get em

Sure but Crosby and Malkins window is now, not 3 years from now 

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't necessarily view a Guentzel trade about helping the Crosby era Pens though, management needs to look beyond him, Letang, and Malkin

And me either

I'm ok with us standing pat at this point tbh.

• Cheers 1

I would love to get Guentzel.

I'm fine paying for him maybe this lowers the cost a bit but probably not much. If anything it would be further proof we are serious about being contenders and if Pete doesn't want to be a part of that then we have the money to re sign both Lindholm and Guentzel et all and......... All the picks we pick up when we trade Pete to restock the shelves. 

• Like 1

We have a ton of shooters. We need a playmaker. 

Guentzel is 24th in primary assists from a fwd. Giroux is probably the only other guy who would have a bigger impact if traded for but he has another year left and a NMC. that kind of move would only happen if things are irreconsilable in negotiations with Pete.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

If we make a move for guentzel I would suggest that’s writing on the wall for ep40, move assets to bring in Lindholm and guentzel then flip petey in the summer for asset recovery and then sign Lindholm guentzel with the money that was going to be used on Kuzmenko and pettersson…..this management is far beyond anything we’ve seen don’t count any wild moves like that out 

I think you’re on to something. I’m wondering if management has known since the start of the season that Petey wouldn’t sign, which might explain the Lindholm deal and a possible Guentzel deal. 

I’d still prefer an opportunity at nabbing Celebrini for any Petey deal mind you. 

We’re not used to a management team that is ahead of the curve and doesn’t telegraph it’s intentions or needs ahead of time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why would they have any need for Foegel?

If that’s the best offer bet we could do Mikheyev and a 2025 top 10 protected 1st.

I think the cost will be more. Not only that but if Pitts sells on Guentzel they are going to need to be able to sell it as a quick re tool they will need Lekkerimaki in the package as he's got some nice headlines from the wjc to write about. I'm fine with that. 

Mik + Lekkerimaki + 2nd I think is warm. 

7 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I think the cost will be more. Not only that but if Pitts sells on Guentzel they are going to need to be able to sell it as a quick re tool they will need Lekkerimaki in the package as he's got some nice headlines from the wjc to write about. I'm fine with that. 

Mik + Lekkerimaki + 2nd I think is warm. 

If there’s confidence they can re-sign Guentzel then yes. Can’t give away top prospects for rentals though.

I’d rather do a 2025 and Podz if we’re determined to go all in.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If there’s confidence they can re-sign Guentzel then yes. Can’t give away top prospects for rentals though.

I’d rather do a 2025 and Podz if we’re determined to go all in.

Not me.

We just saw Kuzzi booted on his ass. Podz will be a key contributor under Tocc the kid is a soldier. Lex is a paper tiger 1 dimensional goal scorer I don't see him being Tocc's go to guy. We need to keep our 1st next year. I don't think we are making that pick but they are going to need it when Pete re signs. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Not me.

We just saw Kuzzi booted on his ass. Podz will be a key contributor under Tocc the kid is a soldier. Lex is a paper tiger 1 dimensional goal scorer I don't see him being Tocc's go to guy. We need to keep our 1st next year. I don't think we are making that pick but they are going to need it when Pete re signs. 

Lek is a pure goal scorer, something we’re gonna need.

Podz could very well top out as a bottom 6 guy.

Dont wanna trade either, but like I said if they’re determined to go all in I’d trade Podz and hang on to our top prospect.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lek is a pure goal scorer, something we’re gonna need.

Podz could very well top out as a bottom 6 guy.

Dont wanna trade either, but like I said if they’re determined to go all in I’d trade Podz and hang on to our top prospect.

All things considered we're going to need the currency of our 1st next year if Pete is in the plans. If not maybe I see it your way. Lex could top out as a Cole Caufield or?? I mean thats kinda it. Aging Crosby feeding Lex might be something but realistically nothing to worry about. 

I love Lindholm as a player.   Love Guentzel as a player.  

I don’t think Vancouver could pull it off without giving one of their prized prospects.  For a rental that would hurt.  However, good lord that would be something.

I could see him going to VGK for some reason.  Just a hunch.

18 minutes ago, Screw said:

I don’t think Vancouver could pull it off without giving one of their prized prospects.  For a rental that would hurt.  However, good lord that would be something.

probably and that's why in PA's shoes knowing the player I would cut that shit down. The price will hurt but it will hurt them more if we scoop em. 

Keep Pete and sign 1 of Lindy/G Unit ooooooooor trade Pete after a cup run for a fist full, and keep both + 1 of Dak/Blueger.   

Edit: Pete is kind of being a dick by not negotiating, I get it and hear it, at the same time sticking to his guns could cost him a cup. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Screw said:

I'd be happy to give up a package that doesn't include Willander for exactly that reason. Prevent these assholes from cheating the cap and using it to load up again. 

• Vintage 1